Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I think i watched maybe 1 full game this entire playoffs and still dont feel like i missed a thing lol

gotta keep reminding myself that unless you are one of maybe ~3 teams the nba doesnt really matter year in year out, gotta luck into a generational talent and avoid injury and hope you have an attractive enough city in free agency

i really hate the nfl for a lot of reasons, but for all its warts there's at least some turnover year to year

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
only 33 percent of NBA teams have won a finals compared to 50 percent in the NFL and 63 percent in the MLB? yikes

contract the league by 66%

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Football has a lot of variance and baseball is worthless for anything other than putting on the radio while drinking beer with your old man and explaining why baking makes you happy even if you'll never get rich doing it, imo

good points, op

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i kinda think im a spurs fan now. theyre one of the only franchises that has maintained constancy through great FO work without scraping the shook barrel. most of their talent is organic and in house and pop is still the best HC in thr league.

i love the nuggets but man it is exhausting knowing your team will never make the finals ever

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i will always hate manu tho. :colbert:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Like, if I'm a fan of a bad and/or small market team I look at the Golden State Warriors and go "Hey, this means this could happen to my team!" They drafted 3/4 of their stars and got a 4th despite historically being a huge loving joke of a franchise.

yo the nuggets have never even made a finals lol

oh and they're owned by the kroenkes

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
sides i fully reserve the right to reassert my fandom its just kinda gonna be a cicada-like dormancy until lebron and curry retire cause what's the point for the next 3-5 years?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

EvanTH posted:

genuinely sorry fr your team walmart owner who thinks he knows what the gently caress he's doing and will find a way to blow it once things start going good :[

https://vine.co/v/OWuFmidQqzW

you know i do feel for NY fans, but at least the nba will always be entertaining just due to the massive population and insane hype that comes out of city

here in denver we rely on jr smith filling kenyon martin's brand new mercedes with popcorn for basketball excitement, and the occasional first round exit followed by a few more years of playoffs-less doldrums

ah the halcyon days of 2009, where the nuggets only shot at a championship in the last 40 years was derailed by an inbounds pass from anthony loving carter

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

BWV posted:

Which one of the Warriors really wanted to go to the white house but kept his mouth shut because he didn't want to be a contrarian?

its definitely iguodala lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

M-m-m-m-mega Shook, shook, shook shook

new kd nickname thoughts incorporating shook:

Shook Nasty
The Shookey-Eyed Killer (:rip: tmac)
Big Shooky
Shookyears Ahead

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Papercut posted:

I'm just gonna assume you didn't watch the playoffs, because KD is like the least shook fucker in the game. He absolutely murdered the field.

i watched a single game from start to finish, watched 5 minutes of game 3, and didn't watch any other playoff basketball, because the same thought i had at the beginning of the year, that it was pointless to try and compete with the warriors because no team could hope to beat them 4 out of 7 games held true, and rendered the entire 2016 season and playoffs irrelevant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the draft and rising stars game was more exciting than the playoffs this year

actually kinda makes me think about putting a large bet on the wars to win again next year depending on the vegas odds

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i guess moody/harris/murray/jokic/juancho???

could be fun to watch

gallo is probably gone, chandler probably gone, maybe faried, i hope to god they dont resign plumlee, only question is what comes in. probably a c or SF

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

We get it, you don't like or watch the NBA. Why do you keep posting about it?

i used to be, back before i realized that maybe ~10% of the franchises in the league has an actual shot to win each year

kinda discouraging if you're not a fan of those teams

on a macro level it's still far better than the NFL or the MLB and fun to laugh at the insane decisions by front offices to try and become competitive again, but the fact that it is by far the least competitive pro sport (and more and more people are seeing that) really dampens my personal enthusiasm for it

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Do you like any sports? Every league I can think of has a handful of good teams and the other 90% are middle of the pack or bottom feeders.

Like do you really think the Padres have a shot at the World Series this year?

Basketball is different because aside from an NFL QB, there really isn't a situation where you can get one superstar that dramatically changes a whole team. LeBron goes back to Cleveland and they immediately turn from garbage to Finals competitors.
yep sports are awesome, I've been a 49ers fan since I was about 5 years old, gone to multiple Avalanche and Nuggets games in the last few years, usually enjoyable to watch

but this isn't true, the MLB, NFL and NHL all have much greater degrees of variance in who makes and wins their championships than the NBA

parity in basketball is a difficult problem, and I'm not really sure how the league addresses it, but it is a problem that needs to be seriously examined

i guess i'd start by reforming the draft lottery system and drastically reworking salary caps

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Ghost Dog posted:

basketball has like a hundred scoring opportunities a game, its nature lets you leverage any talent disparity far more than other sports. its not going to change without some insanely draconian rules and that would not even help the sport. gently caress the warriors and all but watching good basketball is better than watching bad basketball and teams pooling talent means theres more good basketball and less 1 good player and 4 scrubs.

so the answer then is contraction and shorter playoff series

"buh buh buh why do want less basketball!!!"

mostly because with talent concentrated amongst a smaller number of teams it's more likely that those teams are closer to eachother in relative talent level; also shorter playoff series means that you introduce a higher degree of variance into what team wins that series

basically i think the quarters and semis should be single elimination, conference finals are best of three, finals are best of seven

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 15, 2017

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

BWV posted:

basketball is already good you jabronis

yea i agree. so do you think the next 5 finals winners will be warriors warriors warriors warriors cavs, or warriors cavs warriors warriors cavs

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i don't think it's really shortsighted to think that wahtever team lebron and curry are on are favorites to make it to the finals for the next 5 years, or i guess until lebron finally starts breaking down, which will admittedly probably happen in the next 3 years

the nba could eliminate:

- Nuggets
- Jazz
- Suns
- Grizzlies
- Bucks
- Timberwolves
- Pistons
- Magic
- Pels
- Hornets
- Raptors
- Nets
- Pacers
- Thunder
- Kings

disperse their talent to the other 15 teams and you instantly have a better league, full of stacked teams that would produce the best most competitive basketball youve ever seen

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 15, 2017

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Metapod posted:

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PRODUCT DON'T WATCH IT

The NBA is in a good place right filled with lots a young talent. No one knows how the NBA will look in 2 years. If parity is what you desire then basketball is not the game for you

but i do like the product

i like the product even better when i feel like it's not entirely futile to be a fan of my team

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
actually the idea of a premier league system like the English soccer system sounds like it'd work pretty well for the NBA without needing contraction

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also Shrinking the league makes the product infinity worse.

CP3/Harden/Kawhi/Lebron/Davis Cavs go up against the Curry/Thompson/Durant/Draymond/Cousins Warriors for 8 seasons in a row,.

drat i'd watch the poo poo out of that series

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Dutchy posted:

the premier league is like the last direction i'd go if i'm looking for example of parity

i meant in terms of relegation of clearly less competitive teams to their own "G league", i mean as everyone's talking about why waste everyone's time with the facade of a competitive league when (apparently) parity isn't important in the NBA?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

The 06 07 Pistons were Billups/Rip Hamilton/Tayshaun Prince/Chris Webber/Rasheed with Antonio Mcydess and Jason Maxiel coming off the bench which was otherwise loving horrible with Carlos Delfino, Flip Murray, rookie Amir Johnson, Nazr Muhammad, Dale Davis, and a 50 year old Lindsay Hunter. They ran Flip Saunders's 1965 offense of midrange jumpers to perfection and remained a very good defensive team despite Ben Wallace leaving for Chicago where he would again dominate Shaquille O'neal in the playoffs, the marble mouth who accused an innocent person of pedophilia to the police and who ruined TNT's NBA coverage

I remember them fondly, I remember being tricked by broadcasters into thinking Carlos Delfino was always almost on the verge of breaking out and becoming a great basketball player. I remember Jason Maxiell's explosive fat guy dunks, I remember Chris Weber's midrange jumpers, and I remember the 1970s buddy comedy esque pairing of Flip Saunders and Flip Murray

that pistons team was so fun to watch, Rip Hamilton was so loving good at those elbow curls

carlos delfino was kindred spirits with eddie najera

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

THEN YOU SHOULD LOVE THE NBA RIGHT NOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

mostly just that there'd be definite years where neither of those teams were in/made the conferencef/finals simply because they were facing more difficult competition

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Metapod posted:

Who's time is being wasted? Basketball is apart of the entertainment industry. When I watch it I am entertained. I have loyalty to a team that I hope wins every single game no matter. Are there better teams? Yeah. Do I give a poo poo? No. Should you? No. Why? Because in the game of basketball poo poo happens that is completely unexpected and one injury can change everything

The NBA where amazing happens

i just wish i didn't have to pin my hopes on who appears at the highest level of competiton on another team's player(s) getting injured or their body breaking down i guess

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

BWV posted:

less teams=less players=less games=less dunks

this is certainly true, but can you imagine the jokic-lebron connection

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
meta of all posters i think ud feel me the most on this one esp. being kindred NW division fans

i want to believe the nuggets and the thunder have some shot and gently caress jokic and westbrook are cool and good to watch but man im alllllll outta hope that either FO can construct a team that's got any hope

i wanna be content with reg season basketball but after 48 seasons of mostly that you wanna see more than the bottom of the conference

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ChickenMedium posted:

Jesus hated getting posted up.

:discourse:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Cool Buff Man posted:

Really would have liked to see the Emmanuel "The all-powerful warrior who, because of his endurance and inflexible will to win, goes from conquest to conquest, leaving fire in his wake" Mudiay - Melo combination, although I'm fairly sure you would have committed suicide by now

its still possible after the nuggets sign cp3

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Lol why the gently caress do the knicks want to trade zing

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

euphronius posted:

He's unlikely to resign an extension

Based on...

I follow the knicks irregularly for humor purpoes and havent seen anything othet than him skipping exit interviews that suggests hebwouldnt sign an extension

Prtty sure this is just Knicks Knickin'

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
trey lyles lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
like what the gently caress is connelly even doing, this front office's only strength is scouting

why wouldn't you have traded chandler and gallo before the trade deadline since it's obvious this team is nowhere close to competing, and instead trade nurk

instead it's trey lyles and and the fuckin' 24th pick, and now we have like 35 power forwards and 22 shooting guards

wooo can't wait for another 36-40 win season :suicide:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 23, 2017

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
im skeptical that cp3 and harden is gonna be that good, both are ball-dominant guards that need the ball in their hands to be effective. paul's a good spot up shooter i guess but it seems like a mistake to to pair him with harden, especially with sacrificing as much depth as they did

also, the defense of that squad is gonna be....woof

not like, 2016-2017 nuggets bad, but probably still pretty fuckin' bad

anyway i feel like houston still won't be able to compete with the warriors and the spurs remain the only hope of keeping the warriors out of the finals for the next 2-3 years

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

Many of the things you say, are wrong.
Harden was an excellent player playing almost exclusively off ball in OKC and spent lots of time off ball every year before last. He has voiced his desire to be used off ball more. Chris Paul is an incredible passer and shooter. Both are great spot up shooters when given the chance. Their defense will probably not be worse as long as Nene is retained and they use the midlevel wisely, because Chris Paul is one of the best pg defenders in the NBA, much better than Beverly. Lou Williams, Sam Dekker and Montrezl Harrel were bad, bad, and mediocre-bad defenders, respectively.

All they gave up were two bench players, one sparkplug guard, and a solid but unspectacular off ball pg, for a top 5 NBA player.

The warriors are better than everyone, it doesn't change the fact that this was a huge coup for Houston. There are potentially 99 or so games in the season not against the Warriors.

but not that the nuggets defense was lovely!!

we'll see how it plays out. i remain skeptical. i don't doubt that cp3 is great, but he's only been on teams where he's almost always the primary ballhandler and defers to nobody. both he and harden are going to need a ton of touches.

if this actually results in the rockets beating the warriors 4-3 somewhere along the road to the WCF, i will return hat in hand and write a sonnet about a rockets player of Intruder's choice

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
actually now that i think about it, both cp3 and harden are going to get a ton of the league ejected this year through repeated flopping enraging the opposing players, coaching staff, fans, arena announcers, and fans of Hard Nosed, Gritty basketball

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
sure. i didn't say it made them better than the warriors either, but it sure would be nice if it did just for yknow a change of pace

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
well, the warriors going to another finals would be a disappointment yes, but if the Rockets manage to make it to the wcf to be beaten by the warriors again then yeah sure improvement for the Rockets!

im still amazed that nene has hung around for as long as he has. when the nuggets swapped him for mcgee i figured he had another season or two at best, and here he is 5 years later, still pretty effective

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
im excited for free agency to start Saturday :unsmith:

i wonder where gallo's gonna go!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

morestuff posted:

I don't get why Denver doesn't commit to a real rebuild around Jokic, they've been just about to trade Wilson Chandler for like six years and it never happens

its was absolutely fuckin stupid that they didnt push harder to trade chandler and gallo before the deadline this year, and now gallo will walk for nothing

denver's fo is real fuckin' bad at everything except scouting and some ok draft luck

like one of tim connelly/josh kroenke's first moves post Ig was to sign jj hickson and randy foye to multi-year deals :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
lacob is gonna make it up under the table to kd just like prokhorov did with kirilenko

• Locked thread