Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
http://www.nba.com/sixers/sixers-announce-2017-training-camp-roster

quote:

PHILADELPHIA, PA – SEPTEMBER 23, 2017 – The Philadelphia 76ers today announced the team’s 20-man training camp roster.

The Sixers also agreed to terms with forward Kris Humphries and center Emeka Okafor. See attached for the full training camp roster.

What year is it?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Dexo posted:

I need to find a way go back in time and show 2011 me this image.

Yeah, the current NBA would confuse the gently caress out of this thread, circa 2011

Hell, if 6 months ago, I told you that Gordon Hayward, Jimmy Butler, Isiah Thomas, Kyrie Irving, Paul George, Chris Paul, Carmelo, and Paul Milsap all moved teams this offseason, you would think the entire world had exploded. If I told someone from 2011, Rose and Tyrke would also change teams, but not be good enough for people to care about, that would probably confuse people even more

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 25, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

zoux posted:

"You mean the Great Hero LeBron, who all of America knows and loves?"

Seriously, you tell someone from 2011 that LeBron James gets into and wins a Twitter fight with president Trump, and you would get locked in a nut house

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

G-Hawk posted:

how about Dwight Howard going to charlotte not even registering on your 2nd tier here

:lol: gently caress, I knew I was forgetting someone

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ReidForgrave/status/912389070453723136

The NBA is a fun league

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Toucherandrich/status/912390637726650368

The dream is dead

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Fake Trades! Sad!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Time posted:

Apparently a kickback scandal is about to rock the NCAA and potentially take out a few top schools/prospects. No names have been released but the arrests are supposed to happen later today.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/arrests-expected-in-probe-of-alleged-bribery-kickbacks-at-college-basketball-programs-1506431065

gently caress, welp, no wonder USC started recruiting well again :suicide:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

chunkles posted:

the degree of denial he's in about his post game is pretty amazing in that it's been ongoing for so long.

not to mention he's played under SVG, D'Antoni, not really guys who mince words. I imagine even McHale probably took him aside and said "have you considered just dunking the ball" after the 500th clanged hook shot

Shaq absolutely ruined his career by mocking him

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Metapod posted:

I have no idea where to post this but I'm terrified by this https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/912865744286662657

They're gonna kill Twitter by turning it into another lovely microblog site

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

Melo going from cosplaying an 1869 miner into cosplaying an 8th grade boy is a marked improvement.

Remember when Kobe pretended to be Amish for that photoshoot? :allears:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

EvanTH posted:

There's been so much actual news there's a surprising lack of meaningless bland news. So far the coaches who say the team to run more counter sits at a shocking 0 :wth:

I've barely seen any of the sophmores putting on 15 pounds of muscle

You haven't been following the Lakers, plenty of talk about Lonzo pushing the pace more, Ingram putting on 15 pounds of muscle (he actually looks like he did), a bunch of guys losing tons of weight, a bunch of BS super single digit body fat percentages, bigs adding 3 pointers

I'm not even joking, they are literally hitting all of the cliched

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

leftist heap posted:

This change is dumb and I don't like it. Bad teams are still gonna be awful and tanking will still be the most effective way to get better.

Yeah. the question is now no longer "will a team on pace for 30 wins tank and only win 20 games", but "will a team fighting for the 8th spot in the playoffs take their foot off the gas and just accept a 20% chance of getting a top 5 pick rather than get swept by the Warriors,"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

tatankatonk posted:

Didn't watch the Lakers for a year, is, uh...Julius Randle good now

Kind of, he has a pretty good mid-range shot now, but he still seems to have issues with paying attention on defense (though he is very good when he is locked in) and still has a habit of driving into a crowd, but he is better at finishing in crowds

In conclusion, Randle is a land of contrasts

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

morestuff posted:

How long is it going to take Lakers fans to turn on Lonzo if he isn't great this year

I mean, I already hate him

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

8/3/4 on 50% shooting in 20 minutes is pretty good. He was alright on Tuesday too. So far between summer league and the first couple pre-season games he looks like a pretty solid rookie.

I know, but there is an insane amount of dumbass Lakers fans who thought he would somehow single-handedly drag this team to the playoffs

Like, the only consolation about how bad the Lakers look is that their best player (Lopez) has yet to play a game. Oh wait, no the other thing, where our best player has a history of injuries and has yet to play a game.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/utahjazz/status/914561021926293504

This owns

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Rubio should be an honorary captain because I want to see him throw lobs for 48 minutes

Andre Miller, too

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

chunkles posted:

I'm late to BallChat but how long would you guys give it before Luke Walton is fired for not making the playoffs with that team?

He is still really popular with the fans and has a fun play style, so he has atleast another season. Only idiots expect them to sniff the playoffs this year

So, yeah, Magic could totally fire him after this season

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

tanglewood1420 posted:

5 minutes into a preseason game yes, but Simmons looks real loving good.

e:

https://twitter.com/outsidethenba/status/915717230746329088

LeBron didn't really learn how to shoot until his mid 20s and he turned out an OK player

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I know that preseason is Small Sample Size Theater incarnate, but I'm starting to think Kyle Kuzma is legit

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Also, Livingston totally wasn't, he didn't have anywhere near Penny's speed or agility in general

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Ahahaha, this is either going to be hilarious underpaid in 6 months or a 4 year anchor on the franchise

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Boosh! posted:

Bleh, whatever.

Lol, the knicks are a lovely podcast

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

TheKevman posted:

I can't remember if I shared the story here or not but Steve Kerr once came into the wine bar I used to work at at the Oakland Airport and taught me the triangle offense on a charcuterie board. It was one of the coolest moments of my life A) because he was loving awesome and one of the most genuine dudes I've ever met and B) because I was learning the triangle from a guy that I grew up watching on TV.

This was about 8-10 weeks after he was hired (somewhere around early August of 2014) and I'd always told friends/family about it etc.

Fast forward to about 3 months ago (I'm not working there anymore) and I get a text from one of my old co-workers that Baxter Holmes had come in looking for anyone that was there "The day Steve Kerr and Bruce Fraser came through in 2014." According to Holmes, Kerr told him that the first time he'd begun diagramming what he wanted the Warriors to do on offense was..."on a charcuterie board at the Oakland Airport at a place called Vino Volo."

So Baxter and I began talking back and forth and I gave him a bunch of details about the interaction. Basically, I asked Steve how the triangle worked, because I'd heard about it and never really understood the overall principles. So he said, "It's simple, I'll show you." He cleared the board off and used the almonds and dried cranberries as offense/defense and diagrammed it and had an ah-ha moment or two where he was saying "Usually we'd do this, but because we've got Steph and Klay and so much shooting, we can do this instead."

Baxter consulted Steve a number of times over the Summer and the story is set to launch tomorrow online and be in the NBA preview mag apparently.

He's also trying to get me a signed copy from Steve Kerr.

Pretty cool stuff, if anyone is interested the article is supposed to go live tomorrow morning.

Just think, if he had hit more traffic that day and didn't have time to stop for a glass of wine, the Warriors would still be mediocre and LeBron would have more rings?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Carlosologist posted:

G:

https://twitter.com/Dcorrigan50/status/918275688448348160

V: Joel Embiid, if healthy, will be really good, possibly even in the MVP race if he gets a good dose of #narrative

We might have spend a good chunk of some future season arguing whether a dude playing 25mpg should be allowed to win MVP

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
N/V: News and Views

G/V: Its a joke; the NBA has a minor league that for many years was called the D-League (developmental league), but last year Gatorade bought the loving naming rights to the league, and it was renamed the G-League.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
In continuing the idea of a guide to the NBA, here is an incomplete guide to major stars and fun players in the league. This should be in no way considered comprehensive, this is just an overview of the most important and fun to watch dudes. This list is not in order, these are not the ranking, just the order I thought of dudes. Note, I'm going to use listed height since its official, buts its also largely bullshit, so some guys are shorter or taller than they are listed. Its just been like that forever.

LeBron James
SF/PF/PG, 6'8", Cleveland Cavaliers

The best player in the league. Like not even really a question right now. He can basically do anything and everything out there, drive, shoot, defend, pass, etc. Master of power and finesse. He has lead his team to finals for 7 straight years, a feat completely unrivaled in modern basketball. The entire Eastern Conference has more or less revolved around him for a decade. Has won 4 MVPs

Kevin Durant
SF/PF, 6'9", Golden State Warriors

Top 3 player in the NBA. Completely broke the NBA last year when he left the Oklahoma City Thunder to join the Warriors (who had won 73 games the previous season). His reputation has taken one hell of a beating since then, but he is still a beast. Great shooter and driver, he can do some of everything on the court. Due to his build, he can be out-muscled by stronger players, but generally has the speed to deal with it. This is a lot easier since he is playing with some of the greatest shooters of all-time. Has 1 MVP award

Steph Curry
PG, 6'3", Golden State Warriors

The best 3 point shooter of all-time. He is the engine that makes the Warriors work. He can shoot with reasonable accuracy from about 30 feet or inwards (the three point line is at about 22 feet from the basket for reference). Very good handles and passing have allowed him to overcome being being fairly unathletic and turned him into one of the most dangerous scorers in the NBA. Early in his career he had major trouble with ankle injuries. Shook. 2 time MVP, was the first ever unanimous MVP.

Russell Westbrook
PG, 6'3", Oklahoma City Thunder

One of the most explosive players in the NBA, just batshit athleticism. Last year, as the sole star left on the Thunder, he put up an absurd statline of 31.6 ppg, 10.7 rpg, and 10.4 apg, making him the second person to ever average a triple double over an entire season. Kind of divisive because he isn't the most efficient player in the NBA. His team got major upgrade this season, which I will probably cover later. Interesting sense of fashion. Constantly throwing shade at Kevin Durant for leaving.

James Harden
PG/SG, 6'5", Houston Rockets

A star player who had a crazy season last year under the new Rockets coach, Mike D'Antoni. Lead the league is assists last year while scoring almost 30 a game. A lot of people dislike him because a huge part of his game is based on drawing fouls and shooting free-throws which can slow down a game badly. Was the Runner up in MVP last season. Former teammate of both Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

Giannis Antetokounmpo
SF/PF, 6'11", Milwaukee Bucks

The Greek Freak. He entered the league as a raw player with crazy athleticism and wingspan, and has developed at an insane rate. One of the better defenders in the league due to his insane reach, he has always been becoming a better and better scorer. Insane dunks, crazy fun to watch, still super young. Part of the vanguard of the next generation of NBA stars

Joel Embiid
C, 7'0", Philadelphia 76ers

Joel Embiid is a interesting dude, when he is healthy, he has proven to be one of the best scorers in the game, with a crazy moveset that a 7 footer shouldn't be able to do. Learns like loving skynet. However, the health issue is a loving big deal, he is entering his 4th year in the NBA and has only played 31 games so far. If he can stay healthy, he will dominate the game at an insane level, but that is one hell of question. Has the best twitter game on earth.

Kyrie Irving
PG, 6'3", Boston Celtics

Very good young PG, great scorer and shooter, reasonable passer, bad defender, possibly crazy. Up until this season, he had played his entire career with the Cavs, but demanded a trade, and was sent to the Celitcs. Will probably try to play at a very high level this year to prove that he can be the main man on a contending team. Claimed the world was flat for 9 months, now he claims he was just trolling the entire time.

Karl Anthony Towns
C/PF, 7'0", Minnesota Timberwolves

A rising star, a center who can do everything. Great at scoring out of the post, great at shooting from distance, elite handles for a center, has the tools to become an elite defender. He is a man to watch, a likely future MVP.

Jimmy Butler
SG/SF, 6'7", Minnesota Timberwolves

A very, very good scorer who is also a very tenacious defender. Played his entire career with the Bulls, where he was often poo poo on by management. Was traded during the off-season to the Timberwolves, and is expected to carry the Wolves (along side Towns and Andrew Wiggins) to their first playoff appearance in ages. The kind of guy who is both underrated and overrated at once.

Anthony Davis
PF/C, 6'11", New Orleans Pelicans

One of the best big men in the game, with a lot of versatility. Very good in the pick and roll, good in the post, good at shooting, can play very good defense, but also out of position a lot. He is still a star, but the shine has worn off from him as his teams have continued to suck over recent years (generally do to significant injury issues to the entire team). Make no mistake, he is still a beast and can single handedly change games on his own. Ugly as gently caress

Demarcus Cousins
C, 6'11", New Orleans Pelicans

Another great big man who was forever trapped on a terrible team. Was traded towards the end of last season to the Pelicans. Great scorer, great shooter, inconsistent defender with great potential. Has a reputation for being an rear end in a top hat, though it is hard to say how accurate it is. Now paired up with Davis to make one of the best front courts in ages.

Kawhi Leonard
SF, 6'7", San Antonio Spurs

The current super star at the heart of the Spurs basketball machine. Was considered to be a future 3&D role player out of college, but has since developed into one of the top players in the league, even if he has an extremely boring game to watch. Great at the fundamental details, elite defender, all-around stud.

Kristaps Porzingis
PF/C, 7'3", New York Knicks

The hope of the Knicks. The Unicorn. A huge big man with great skills and shooting. Still trying to figure out his game and how to be effective in the league, but a future superstar. With Carmelo traded, he is now the clear #1 option on the Knicks and will be expected to carry the load. Should have a huge year.

Guys not mentioned, but you should know:
Klay Thompson, Warriors
Draymond Green, Warriors
Damien Lillard, Portland Trailblazers
Gordon Hayward, Boston Celtics
Nikola Jokic, Denver Nuggets
Demar Derozan, Toronto Raptors
Kyle Lowry, Toronto Raptors
Paul George, Oklahoma City Thunder
Isaiah Thomas, Cleveland Cavaliers
John Wall, Washington Wizards
Devin Booker, Phoenix Suns
Andrew Wiggins, Minnesota Timberwolves
Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz
~~~Rick Rubio~~~, Utah Jazz

Former elite Players who might still matter:
Derrick Rose, Cavs
Dwyane Wade, Cavs
Carmelo Anthony, Thunder
Andre Iguodala, Warriors

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 12, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

dangerdoom volvo posted:

whats the point of the preseason? Seems like a ton of games if they dont count for anything

Its so that teams can integrate new players and get practice before the season actually starts. Its useful for coaches to figure who rotations (which players play well together), and for figuring out which players towards the end of the bench of are worth keeping. Its also really useful for new coaches to install their offenses and defenses, though as far as I can remember, this was the first off-season in nearly 50 years without a coaching change.

Starting this season, training camp and pre-season are significantly shortened (it normally runs until the end of October), to try to spread out the regular season schedule and reduce the number of back-to-back games they have to play.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Oh my god :vince:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/youngwhiteside/status/919054147160289280

The greatest league in the world

*Marks down heat/sixers as a must watch*

I really want this to develop into a multiyear fued

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

EvanTH posted:

Who's the strongest man in the NBA? I think it might be one of the Lopez brothers. but there are also some squat non-jumping PFs that seem like reasonable candidates, your Zach Randolphs and David Wests. I'm not talking P4P here because comparing relative strength is meaningless, only the absolute is important. Neat or whatever that an insect can carry many times its body weight, but any normal human can still walk around despite being covered head to to in many thousands of bugs.

I would've snap answered LeBron before Mirza laughed at him those many years ago. Now I got no idea

Randle is probably up there, that is a large man

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Brolander posted:

"im taking my talents to maybe the most racist place in the united states"

The Wizards?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

rabidsquid posted:

drat i really miss that rasquid wallace avatar i dont have the image saved anywhere though

http://www.muddledmuse.com/saars/?goon=rabidsquid

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm going to the Laker game on Thursday :peanut:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

blue squares posted:

Im moving to COlorado soon. Is the Denver Nuggets team any good and worth being a fan of?

Good: Unknown

Worth being a fan of: Yes

They have one of better young centers in the NBA, one of those do everything kind of centers

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

No one has done what will be extremely embarrassing playoff seed predictions in the main thread yet.

Western Conference
1. Lakers
2. Spurs
3. Warriors

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
OK, for real, since this are always great to mock in 6 months:

Western:
1. Warriors
2. Thunder
3. Rockets
4. Spurs
5. Wolves
6. Jazz
7. Clippers
8. Pelicans

Holy poo poo, so many good teams in the west. I had to leave out Denver, Memphis, and Portland and I think those are all atleast 40 win teams. This is assuming the Clippers are healthy, which probably a really bad idea. I also think the Spurs are gonna really miss Parker and that Kawhi is gonna miss some time, IDK, just a feeling. I believe in Boogie and AD, and while I know it probably won't work, dammit, I want to believe

Eastern:
1. Celtics
2. Cavs
3. Wizards
4. Bucks
5. Raptors
6. Miami
7. Hornets
8. 76ers

On the other hand, eesh. Lot of mediocre and bad teams in the East. I think the cavs are gonna have issues until IT gets healthy and I expect that to be a while; LeBron can carry them only so much, he needs more rest during the year. Raptors fall off a bit, but not too badly. Giannis carries the Bucks, and we'll finally decide if Kidd is a good coach. 7&8 were both tough, just a lot questions towards the bottom here, I guess I think Charlotte will be healthy and that Dwight will fit in. I think 50 games from Embiid is enough to get the 76ers in, and I think JJ Reddick will help a lot.

Warriors over the Cavs, in 6. The conference finals will be insane in both conference (Celtics, Thunder).

• Locked thread