Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm still waiting for the day the dress code is gone.

yah yah I know "players ended up having fun with it and reinvented fashion"

I just hate this Boomer-type poo poo in my basketball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Taking Hinkie out AND doing this is really some insult + injury poo poo with Silver. Like do one or the other motherfucker
Hinkie will rise again

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
gently caress him, the NBA is the most progressive player pool/league around. if enough players do it then they won't be able to do a goddamn thing about it. we've got some of the most prominent and moneymaking players in the league already clearly publicly saying where their thoughts on the protests are.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Zogo posted:

Yea, it's funny when these athletes take dumps on politicians but I don't think people realize that this kind of stuff solidifies bases and creates groundswells of support. All these people having their Twitter skirmishes/battles against mastermind Trump are playing his game and they're probably going to lose (if they want some 2020 D president). Some of Trump's polling numbers are going up in recent weeks. Uh oh.

Now an interesting question is whether anti-Trump people would want more protests and athlete insults and in trade end up with another four years of him as POTUS.

Billions of jealous disenfranchised who will never be millionaires. The starving, the homeless, the modern-day sex-slave. To name a few.
don't have a big enough eyeroll for this tone policing hypothetical BUT WHAT IF THE WHITES GET MAD poo poo, zogo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Not liking the idea of it being true does not make it false. Tina Fay will probably motivate more pro than anti Trump sentiment, since she's preaching to the converted.
But neither you nor zogo are proving it's "true." Not liking the idea of it being false doesn't make it true. You're just asserting beliefs and clearly I disagree that some silent majority is being swayed for trump because athletes want to be publicly political. More like a loud minority.

You and Zogo are just "saying" it's true, and I'm just saying I don't think so. Agree to disagree.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like sorry but the only scenario in which I'm worried about 2020 is if we decide AGAIN to run the 2nd most unpopular presidential candidate (Hillary) against the 1st most unpopular (Trump). Any democrat in a suit could've beaten the man. I don't think Hillary has the gall, so I'm not about to start handwringing about athletes publicly protesting black men being murdered in the street by police officers

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm pretty optimistic about LMA, honestly. I think he had a good season and in the playoffs he had some great moments as the second option on a team that was dominating the Warriors before Georgian sabotage. I don't really think there'll be trouble. The ESPN article had some good signs. As long as Pau and LMA are taking threes I'm happy.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20901861/nba-lamarcus-aldridge-adjustment-spurs-enters-year-3

quote:

"This is a guy who played for nine years, I believe, before he came here," Popovich said, "and it takes time to get used to a program that is not just new. But when you have nine years under your belt, doing something different, his concerns are totally legitimate.
"We have talked about what we can do to make him more comfortable, and to make our team better. But having said that, I think we are mostly talking about offense. Defense, he was fantastic for us. Now, we have got to help him a little bit more so that he is comfortable in his own space offensively, and I haven't done a very good job of that."

Aldridge plans to incorporate more 3-point shooting into his game this season, too. Before he departed for the summer, Aldridge said Popovich told him to "make sure you shoot [3-pointers] because I want you to get back comfortable doing that because our system fits it," adding that "I'm going to be spread out a little bit more this year, so I definitely tried to focus on that."
More worried about Tony possibly done and DJ not being ready to get thrown in the PG fire. Oh well. If the Spurs were healthy (Tony was pretty solid pre-injury last year) I'd be pretty confident about our matchups in the West.

RaySmuckles posted:

i'm just looking forward to some more competition out west. more competition is good, and i'm dreading the same finals matchup for the fourth time in a row. that's super boring.
It's a cool rivalry now but I would like to see the Spurs versus LeBron+Wade again

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

the_american_dream posted:

I'm sure someone already posted Jeremy Lin ethering Kenyon Martin with kindness?

https://twitter.com/TheDouch3/status/916042195249098752
k-mart's a clown for giving another clown an opportunity like that. hate lin's hokey schtick, dunno who it's fooling

wish t-mac all the love, the Spurs not managing to get him that ring still makes me sad

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/APOOCH/status/916132824218066944

I imagine him practicing this one in the mirror
dude is the corniest and I'm so glad the cynical manufactured phenomenon that was "linsanity" is over. sorry knicks fans I;m sure it was a brief bit of sunlight for y'all but still it was some patronizing "AN ASIAN IS PLAYING DECENTLY?!? TIME TO PUT HIM IN THE NATIONAL SPOTLIGHT"
it's funny how he almost opens with a threat, like, have there been Asians attacking K-Mart? "Gosh, I'd like to start by saying I hope Asian fans don't rally to my side and attack K-Mart! It's terrible, I have to deal with people coming up to me talking about how I TOTALLY OWNED HIM but man it's just peace and love over here"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

EvanTH posted:

"decently" nothing the dude went from bench nobody one day, Daryl Morey said he ignored his own models and passed on drafting him 'cause Asian, to averaging 24.2pts 9.5a in his first 5 NBA starts, winning 7 in a row for the Knicks, quite possibly their longest winning streak of all time. It looked like 0 to all-star, some dude seriously carping the dang diem, great story, too bad he's such a goober in his personal life

Also the individual games were fantastic and Tyson Chandler rules
remind me, what were those seven teams? I still think it was like 40% media cynicism

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Hah dude I'm tellin' y'all as someone who was sitting down to watch the Knicks game, expecting it was going to be more ugly losing bullshit with Melo studiously rejecting D'antoni's offensive principles but everyone firmly embracing his lack of defensive principles, it was set to be grinding basketball death and instead a backup PG is averaging 25/10 in his first 5 NBA starts, delivering increasingly exciting wins and the team's actually playing together (because Melo was injured ha ha ha)

Linsanity was really really good and pretty great for the NBA. Everyone in the city wanted to talk Ball and watch Ball which doesn't always happen and it felt pretty darned good.

The games themselves were great to watch and the coverage reflected that, tried to report on how much the crowd was into it. It got out of control huge but it was mostly organic

ah gently caress
I just don't really think any other random PG would have gotten this sort of coverage for helping narrowly beat the the 2011-12 Timberwolves/Kings/Wizards/Raptors/Nets/etc but fair enough, it is the city of basketball I guess things tend to snowball. gotta give the benefit of the doubt to a knicks fan who was actually watching those games

dokmo posted:

During the ten games where he averaged 24/9, the defenses he faced held opponents to an average of 105.9 pts/100, which is right at league average. During the whole season as a starter, Lin averaged 18/8 while facing very strong defenses (avg 103.9/100)—compare to the best PG in the league that year, CP3 averaged 20/9 against defenses that gave up 105.1/100. It was a legit run.
ah, well I guess that confirms it. fair enough! count me wrong for the billionth time.
dreads still gotta go though

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 7, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
awww what? he was just on that one podcast talking optimistically. drat.

still excited as gently caress for the season though, most of my friends don't get why I drive down the 5 screaming WHOOO NBA, but, hey. whooo nba.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
in Spurs news & preseason observations...LMA clearly bought a billboard ad for himself. still somehow less neurotic and needy than KD
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Lamarcus-Aldridge-speaks-out-about-mysterious-12257991.php

quote:

"I've seen it, but I don't know where it came from," said Aldridge before the Spurs played the Sacramento Kings in a preseason game Friday evening. "I have nothing to do with it. ... But it was cool."
"I would like to meet the person, whoever did it," Aldridge said.

also if Icy Hot Danny Green decides this is a year where he shoots from beyond the arc pretty consistently the league can RIP tbh
Brandon Paul may work out replacing some of Jonathon SImmons' value too, until he also gets paid + poached somewhere else.
yay for year two Bertans. My Latvian son is ready. does he get a ring first or does King Zing? legitimate thought. also good nickname for him "Electric Saw". take it back, man.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Light years ahead

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
gsg cky patfo a$ap segababa
https://www.poundingtherock.com/pages/ptr-lexicon

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

big boi posted:

What if people just said..."the Spurs"
it'd be a moment of sunlight in the collective crusade on the part of the MEDIA AND THIS THREAD to ignore the Spurs and NEVER TALK ABOUT THE SPURS

I can't even get the NBA team preview on NBA TV. WHERE'S THE SPURS?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
please under no circumstances refer to mister popo as a "sports dad", that's a slur unfitting of a man who enjoys fine wine and soviet studies
google provides

sports dads support lottery reform, personally fired hinkie, were three seasons late on calling kawhi a superstar, actually enjoy college basketball, and think the dress code is a good thing

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
seriously. between that and learning about toast sandwiches SA is gonna make me fuckin hurl today. hit that poo poo with a spoiler at least.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
*sheds a tear @the beauty of this world*

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

spurs players looking a lot better after their first preseason loss

lma looks like he's in much better shape and seems to be trying his rear end off

gay played a good game tonight

bryn forbes continues to brute force his way onto the roster with fantastic shooting

white and paul seem to be good pick ups

even murray had a good game today

i think the spurs are going to be better this year than last and we haven't even seen what kawhi looks like yet
yeah, I'm liking what I'm seeing of year 2 Bertans every new game too. stepping up defensively. honestly if only Kawhi hadn't gone down I'd be feeling pretty optimistic about this year which isn't what I thought during the offseason. I believe in LMA, and it actually does seem like we're gonna be a better team than last year. Everyone always cries about the Spurs losing depth whenever some Spur bench dude/diamond in the rough gets headhunted but we almost always bring in enough suitable replacements.
I guess hopefully K won't miss much time and it won't be a reaccuring thing tho. no timetable but PATFO did seem optimistic about him not missing much time.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

chunkles posted:

I hope Kawhi Leonard isn't also engaged in a futile quest against hostile and alienating forces
that's the western conference.
I like our odds as long as all Georgians are banned from games involving K though. just watch Daryl loving morey bring in Tskitishvili from wherever the gently caress he is rn

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

vaginal facsimile posted:

Toast sandwiches sound good mate
take it back

#gsg #patfo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
poo poo thanks for reminding me, I always miss the cutoff to get into a fantasy league...this is the year I'll finally play again. just wish I had enough friends into basketball to do one among them
it's gonna be sad & weird playing fantasy in a world where I can no longer depend on Kenny Faried to carry everything

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
someone help me out, how much risk is involved in a contract like this for embiid? what I mean is, god forbid he's forced to end his career because of some health/injury issue, aren't there provisions for teams to get some of that money/space back?

p.s. why's the meet the team thread locked eyyyyyyy

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

chunkles posted:

This is going to be a breakout season for Clint Capela or as I often call him Swiss Embiid

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like that david aldridge doesn't think the only team in the west last year that made the Warriors look momentarily mortal "isn't a title contender"
he's probably got pockets full of georgian gold

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
creek freak OG will be a generational talent hands down

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This year's Spurs team might actually end up kinda deeper and improved in a lot of ways. Lot of shooters on the team, lot more space, Pau was great from beyond the arc last year and I expect LMA to shoot more 3s too. Like what I've seen of Rudy Gay and even Joffrey Lauvergne, preseason sample size aside, which just goes to show Pop is still the best in the league at getting the most out of players.

quote:

Always fascinated by some of the things that run through Pop's mind. He was asked earlier tonight about whether he thought today's technology possibly inhibited a coach's ability to build teams. Here's Pop's answer: "I don't worry about technology in that regard as far as team building. I worry about it in the world, for instance. I was listening to a TED Talk the other night. I can't remember the individual, but he was pulling for more human upgrade rather than technological upgrade. He said that we've done enough upgrades. It doesn't do anything. We need an upgrade as human beings. He talked about what that means. It's concern, empathy, and love and all that kind of thing that until we get that upgrade, we're doomed for all this tribalism and everything we're doing now. And dependence on all these things [such as technology], they don't do anything to help us as a race; as a human race. I'll stop there."

Kawhi will be fine and it'll be fun watching him prove (yet again and again as he's done before) how much better he is than PG13

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Pop is the Anarcho-primitivist hero we need to finally break through the silicon valley powered disruption of basketball

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

vaginal facsimile posted:

Who in the NBA would be the most fun to do steroids with?
Dwight Howard

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
👌🏽
https://mobile.twitter.com/andre/status/917942423262658560

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
going to be happy when every good+funny EMbiid tweet isn't immediately full of dudes wit the hot fresh YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED MUCH IN THE NBA comeback

embiid whiteside wouldn't even be a real rivalry assuming both are healthy, Hassan would get wrecked

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd say LeBron but only because he conspired with the league's masters to get the True strongest man in the league Dejuan Blair shunned and cast out to the g-league
(had no idea the D-fenders were the "South Bay Lakers" now)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dokmo posted:

Trigger warning for unconscionable ball pounding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC2VMHAUnt8
oh god can't imagine having to watch whole games of this

and they stole the league's best and tallest victory cigar, all in the service of this

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Cloud the Cat posted:

So I recently read Jalen Rose's book "Got to give the people what they want" and read all about his falling out with Chris Webber. As someone who never knew about the fab five etc. until recently this was pretty shocking. All I know of Chris Webber is he seems entertaining and cool on TV and he used to play for the Kings. After reading this though he definitely comes off as 'the bad guy' or at least someone who is never able to admit he made mistakes. I suppose it's impossible to know everything that goes on, maybe something else happened and he doesn't feel like he should be at fault for anything?

Anyway, is there another side to the story that I can read somewhere?
the other side of the story is league corruption stole a championship from him

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tae posted:

Pop's retiring in the next couple years, that's basically my guess from these signings.
Just in time for the Return of Bud.

I like LMA, I think he gets underrated and a lot of hate, sure you can't always depend on him if Kawhi goes down but he's great as a "second star" to have.
would've rather gotten Marc Gasol but you can't win em all

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

like sending pau back to finish his career where he started it, among other things
it's funny I was fantasizing about this exact improbable scenario yesterday. I just don't really think the Spurs have the assets. I guess in a scenario where they somehow pull it off and LMA is still on the team that would be a hell of a front court.

RaySmuckles posted:

he's around until at least 2020 since he's coaching the olympics. very likely he'll retire after that. if he doesn't that's cool too.

etore messina reupped he contract recently. surely he won't just stick around as pop's number 2 forever, but you never know
I'm still hoping that Pop's Successor is either a returning Bud/Brett Brown, or dark horse candidate HEAD COACH TIM DUNCAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uiD2PsMePE

• Locked thread