Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

mastershakeman posted:

Has any player besides Durant won a finals MVP immediately after switching teams, either via free agency or trade?

Moses Malone in 1983.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's insane how many teams Moses Malone played on considering how great he was. Was he just a mercenary?

Only two real moves were him leaving a team in FA - Houston to Philly when he was a superstar top 5 player in the league, and then Washington to Atlanta when he was post-prime but still a good starter. All the other moves in his early career were trades or the team folding. Everything after Atlanta was just a broken down vet signing for whomever would have him.

Malone leaving Houston to sign for Philly was a huge deal. The Rockets went to the Finals in 1981, but then lost in the first round in 1982 even though Malone was the MVP. He teamed up with Dr. J in Philly. who lost to the Magic and Kareem's Lakers in the 82 finals. It'd be like Westbrook leaving OKC as a free agent this summer to sign for the Cavs.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 13, 2017

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Ben Simmons was very fun in Summer League last year

I hope he's gonna be good.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Sergio Rodriguez was really really not good last season, TJ McConnell was better offensively and way way better defensively (not super important at PG but the difference between him and Rodriguez was night and day). I don't see any scenario where Philly resigns him and if they do then TJ will be ahead of him on the depth chart for sure, as will Bayless if he is healthy.

Also I don't see why they would resign Splitter unless they like him as a veteran presence in the locker room (very possible). Holmes was very promising last year in limited minutes (.184 WS/48) so I think they are better off seeing what they have with him as the primary backup center getting 20 mpg. Okafor is on a good value rookie contract even if he is your third big playing 10-12 mpg.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 17, 2017

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

It was a recalibration season, he had to get used to playing with NBA length and athleticism, like when he was a young man on the Blazers. TJ McConnell is TJ McConnell. Sergio is going to tutor these young men and teach show how basketball should be played, like a don, he's probably the best free agent point guard this offseason, even if he's a combo guard who weighs 150 lbs.

Let's go through the list, Mike Lowry, we've seen him fail in the clutch time and time again, he lets his policework get in the way of ball. Jrue Holiday, a good player, I'll admit, but he told me he hates the city of Philadelphia and he'd rather die than play there. Jeff Teague, seen as worse than Sergio Rodriguez by any unbiased observer, George Hill, He's arlight, but he told me he thinks Cameroonian people are repulsive, so he's out, Shaun Livingston? Too tall.

Darren Collison? Too short. Patty Mills, the less we say about him, the better.

Brandon Jennings? I love him, but his achilles is gone and it's not coming back.

Bobby Brown? Now you're talking, a future franchise cornerstone, probably will get the max from the Rockets, the 76ers don't have a chance.
Trey Burke? An NCAA legend who told me he considers himself the best backup pg in the league, and I think 9/10 unbiased observers would say that's absolutely true.

Now we get to the cream of the crop; Sergio Rodriguez: can dribble, pass, and shoot, experienced in all sorts of offenses, has played with players from around the galaxy. He's both a star and a mentor. Pay him everything he asks for and put a playoff bonus of 4m on top.

Sorry dude, I didn't realise you were his agent. Keep fighting the good fight.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Cavs would be better off trading Kyrie for George, rather than Love.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Last year I did a FA guessing game contest and we were all very bad.

Here is the thread again for this year's contest: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824239

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Jeff Teague is a free agent, also why would Philly want him anyway?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Akileese posted:

This is why you don't fire literally every person who knows anything about a sport you cover.

Also, I know I'm real late but isn't Fultz supposed to be the closest thing to can't miss in this draft?

He isn't a can't miss franchise player (some questions about his poor free throw percentage and whether that means his shooting isn't as good as advertised, effort on defence is a concern, pretty good but not exceptional passer for a pg) , though he does have big time all-star potential. One thing about him is that his floor is very high - even if his shot is average at the NBA level and he isn't great defensively he is going to be a good 6th man/low-end starter.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

So outside the Brooklyn Nets disaster zone, Orlando is the worst situation in the league by far right?

Elfrid Payton - maybe the 25th best pg in the league
Evan Fournier - archetypal good stats, bad team scorer
Terrence Ross - athletic 3&D, without the D (and only kinda the 3)
Aaron Gordon - dunks
Nikola Vucevic - could be a top-15 center... if it was 1994

Bismack Biyombo - the homeless man's Dikembe Mutombo ($51m for three more years)
DJ Augustin - an NBA player making $7m
Mario Hezonja - last seen on the side of a milk carton
CJ Watson - they sure have a lot of replacement level point guards don't they?
and a bunch of filler

They don't even have much cap room (about $12m if they renounce everyone), because Fournier, Vucevic and Biyombo are all on fat contracts. This is the last year Gordon and Payton are on their rookie deals too, so they will need to decide about them next summer and keeping both of them would eat almost all their cap flexibility in the 2018 off-season.

They badly need to hit on the 6th pick in this draft otherwise they have no-one worth mentioning at all and no room to sign anyone impactful this summer, and likely next summer too. Even if they take the blow it up route, what are they going to get? Fournier could be 4th/5th starter on a playoff team but his deal is $17m a year until 2021 so no-one is going to give up much of anything for him.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 20, 2017

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

euphronius posted:

I mean the whole team is now fultz embiid Simmons plus 2 wings that can shoot .

It's simple . (Tho shooting wings are in huge demand )

Luka Doncic, come on down....

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

Jon Leuer narrowly beat out Porzingis for the most average player in the NBA this season.

.112ws48, 14.2 PER, 55% TS, .2 BPM for Leuer

Vs

.100, 17.4, 55% TS, .2 BPM for Zinger

The Knicks have been really dumb and insist on playing Porzingis at the 4 almost all the time, when he is much better at the 5 on both offence (bigger matchup problem, he's a good offensive rebounder and dunker) and defence (he's a very solid rim protector, but can be exposed when dragged out to the perimeter). The triangle in 2017 is outdated anyway, but running it religiously to the detriment of your near-unique up and coming talent is seriously stupid.

That said, yes he is slightly overhyped because New York. He is going to be a multiple all-star though.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Lakers subreddit is pretty funny to read right now if you need cheering up.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

It's gonna take me a good fifteen minutes before I have any idea what I think of this trade.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

It's not even much of a salary dump, I don't understand.

Howard $23m x 2 years

Plumlee $12.5m x 3 years
Belinelli $6m x 1 year

So you save $5m this year, $10.5m next year, but then have a Plumlee stuck on your books (not even the semi-decent Plumlee either) for 2019-20 for $12.5m.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

So the plan was to give up Russell, the 2nd pick and the 27th Pick to get a player who has already said he wants to sign for you for free next year.

How loving dumb is Magic jesus christ

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Clippers sounding out the DeAndre trade market is just sensible due diligence. They either have to run it back with CP3 and Blake on max contracts and go hard into the luxury tax for a good but somewhat underwhelming team OR you blow it all up in which case DJ is their only real asset that they could sell for picks or young guys. If you think there is a chance one of CP3 or Blake leaves in FA then you may as well go for slash and burn and retool from the ground up.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

N: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19705087/san-antonio-spurs-shopping-lamarcus-aldridge-top-10-draft-pick

quote:

The San Antonio Spurs, in pursuit of a top-10 pick in Thursday's NBA draft, have spoken to at least three teams about a possible trade involving power forward LaMarcus Aldridge, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Aldridge's contract contains a player option after the 2017-18 season, and he declined to address the situation when asked specifically by ESPN about it during the playoffs.

For the Spurs, working to consummate a trade now is more advantageous than potentially losing Aldridge after next season with no compensation in return.

V: Something crazy better go down tonight or I will be disappointed after all this build up.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

With the cap now coming in at $99m rather than $102m the Celtics are now going to have to make a move in order to create room for a max contract.

Hmm.. how about

No. 3, Lakers '18 pick and one of Smart or Crowder for Kristaps Porzingis

Which also creates the space to sign either Gordon Hayward or Blake Griffin to a max deal, plus also gives you the room to bring over Zizic (and Yabusele if they wanted to).

Thomas
Bradley
Hayward
Horford
Porzingis

Bench: Smart/Crowder, Brown, Rozier, Zizic, 37th pick, an MLE FA

OR they could just keep stockpiling all these assets until they own the whole first round in 2028.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Portland currently have $140.5m salary on the books for 2017-18. That is $21.5m over the luxury tax and puts them in the highest category of taxpayer $3.75 for every $1 over. So they are currently due to pay TWO HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS* for exactly the same squad that went 41-41 last season and got swept in the first round.

Is anyone going to bite on Allen Crabbe ($74.8m, 4 years) or Evan Turner ($70m, 4 years) packaged with the 20th or 26th pick? Are they even going to have to throw in the 15th pick to move some salary?

*$199.94m to be precise

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah I forgot to mention Crabbe's 15% trade kicker, which makes taking him on even more painful. Portland is just so screwed cap wise for the next three years - they have $117m on the books for 2019-20 already. And that's not even including whatever deal they sign Nurkic to, whose contract expires next summer. If they can't move anyone this summer or during the season then the repeater tax implications for them will be egregious. All for a slightly above average roster.

The endgame is a Lillard or McCollom trade, it's inevitable. Maybe even this year at the deadline.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

leftist heap posted:

Nurkic looked pretty good after the trade last season and without him they basically have no one to play center. Pretty much no way they can be competitive without Nurkic.

Realistically Portland can probably only dump Leonard. But they should probably be seriously considering trading CJ as well. I love CJ but he and Dame are basically the same dude and awful together on defense. Moving those two would get them under the cap.

Nurkic is an RFA in 2018 and someone is going to offer him the max if he keeps up his play from end of last season. Even if Portland trade Leonard and don't take any salary back, they will be right at the luxury tax border next year even if they don't resign any of their free agents, so maxing Nurkic will put them well over. Because they were over the tax line in 16/17 (by $66,000 lol) and are certain to be this season that would make it three years in a row and make them a repeater tax payer. They are going to have to move CJ and probably not get a lot of value back for him.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Take Jalen Brown out of that deal and I'd do that as Boston.

Or maybe keep Brown in but get the Knicks to throw in something more on their end like a heavily protected first rounder.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 22, 2017

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Dexo posted:

Lol if you don't think Zingis sees the jig from how they are treating Melo. And now himself now that he did one tiny act of defiance.

Not to mention an owner that doesnt give a gently caress about his org being run into the ground.

With the new designated player max rules, if Porzingis wants to leave the Knicks then it is highly in his interest to get traded this year or next year. If he sees out his rookie deal and leaves in FA he couldn't qualify for the DPE with his new team and would limit his potential future earnings significantly.

This could be the first sign of yet again an unintended consequence of a new rule to help teams keep their stars and prevent super teams backfiring.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

EvanTH posted:

O poo poo Dedmon was their best defensive big this season (followed by Pau, David Lee, LMA then Bertans, sheesh that's bad D at the 5, lucky that doesn't matter vs GSW) and he's not under contract anymore.

Anyone know if they're resigning Dedmon? Or are they going to do that thing they do where they pluck a Boban/Splitter outta nowhere and get slightly sub-all-star quality minutes from a dude who's nation of origin hasn't existed in 15 years

I think Dedmon is going to get some pretty good offers in FA that the wouldn't be able to match. Mills, Simmons and Lee are all FAs too and I think ideally the team would want all four back and Dedmon is probably the lowest priority of those (maybe ahead of Lee).

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Cool Buff Man posted:

Does Magic have a plan at all

Trade away young talent
Trade away draft picks
?????
Profit via a fat settlement after getting fired two years into a five year contract

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

D'Angelo Russell is going to be better than all the other Lakers picks (Randle, Ingram, Ball)

Truth.

I don't think Ingram ever makes an All-Star game.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Jubs posted:

Somebody should make me a GM. (Sacramento would give NY some picks as well)

First rule of being a GM - don't try to trade players you don't have. (Gay, Griffin and Reddick are all free agents).

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

free agents get signed on the 1st, right?

On the 5th, but teams can officially talk to players from the 1st and plenty of deals will be announced suspiciously early.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

How pissed off is Wade right now, or is he just counting his 24 million reasons and doesn't care?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

They were bad with Zach too. The team isn't ready to compete yet, but they are now a playoff caliber squad. Jimmy fits the timeline of Towns and Wigs hitting their primes.

Rubio is still only 26 don't forget. He's younger than Butler.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

If the Timberwolves waive Jordan Hill's $4.1m non-guaranteed deal (newly drafted Patton should be their third string center) that gives them $23m in cap space. They could be big players in free agency.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

2012? How old was he when he posted that? Like 14 years old?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Victor Oladipo, Ersan Ilyasova and the 2016 no. 11 overall (Sabonis) --- > Serge Ibaka

Serge Ibaka ---> Terrence Ross and the 2017 25th overall pick

2017 25th overall pick ---> 2020 OKC 1st (top-20 protected for three years, conveys into two second rounders in 2022 and 2023)

SO overall

Oladpio, Illyasova and a no. 11 pick turned into Terrence Ross and two second rounders six and seven years in the future.

The Orlando Magic front office everybody.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Philly can't really take any more rookies reasonably

Fultz / McConnell
Bayless / Stauskas / Henderson
Covington / TLC / Anderson
Simmons / Saric
Embiid / Holmes / Okafor

That gets you to 13 players already. They also want to bring over Korkmaz this season (Coangelo confirmed in the post-draft press conference) which would make it 14. They are also for sure going to want to sign some veteran rotation players as they have an outside chance at making the playoffs in the east (pending health obviously), which would be huge for the franchise. Plus they've already announced some undrafted guys they are bringing to Summer League/camp. It's a fairly dumb thing to get mad about.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Metapod posted:

Phili should unironically sign perk

If I was them the players I'd be looking to go after would be Patty Mills, Reddick and Korver. KCP too if Detroit don't just automatically give him the max.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Fultz's best case scenario next season is to be dead level BPM player I think. His offence could be above average but he will need to adjust to the NBA 3-pt line and his defence is going to absolutely suck in his rookie season. He has potential to be a good defender eventually, but displayed a lot of bad habits in college that will take a while to iron out even if he does commit and put the effort it.

Simmons I have no idea, he's such a unique player. I could see his passing, transition game and rebounding translate immediately and I think he's more likely to be merely below average defensively as opposed to my flat out terrible expectation for Fultz. However, if his jump shot hasn't improved whilst sitting out (as it magically did somehow with Embiid) and he can't get to the rim (though I think he will be able to decently, especially in switches) then he will suck badly as a rookie.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The Wolves have around $20m in cap space if they waive Jordan Hill. JJ Reddick would be really nice fit for them I think.

Rubio/Reddick/Wiggins/Butler/KAT small ball lineup with loads of cutting and backdoor action.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

For the Clippers it only makes sense to either resign both Paul and Griffin and keep this train rolling, or to let both of them walk and probably trade DJ to blow it all up and rebuild ASAP. What would be quite terrible for them is CP3 resigning early in FA, only for Blake to leave for Boston/somewhere else. They'd be stuck in that 7/6/5 seed no-man's land with CP3 on a mega max weighing them down for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

euphronius posted:

One week to free agency

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824239

• Locked thread