Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

cavs in 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Has any player besides Durant won a finals MVP immediately after switching teams, either via free agency or trade?

Pau but only in my heart

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ex post facho posted:

only 33 percent of NBA teams have won a finals compared to 50 percent in the NFL and 63 percent in the MLB? yikes

contract the league by 66%

Football has a lot of variance and baseball is worthless for anything other than putting on the radio while drinking beer with your old man and explaining why baking makes you happy even if you'll never get rich doing it, imo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

Congratulations to the good Golden State Warrior!

https://twitter.com/JaValeMcGee34/status/874498236613926912

I find great comfort in this

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

So realistically Durant is either opting in or resigning with non-Bird rights, yeah?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Also the Warriors are losing in the WCF against Paul Chris and Kawaii Desu Ka without the treacherous borderline all-star Patches to unrail them

In short, Spurs in 5

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

RaySmuckles posted:

note: kawhi is better than pippin

I don't think so Tim

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

To sum up why it's so funny, in case you didn't have time to read the good stuff before people started talking about cutting the cheese for 2 pages:

- Gilbert let Griffin go without consulting Lebron
https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/876964830510551040
https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/876973020866367488

- All signs point to Chauncey Billups becoming the new Gm
https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/877011697323704320
https://twitter.com/NationCLE/status/876959962731335681

Man I get that Kyrie and Love are lightyears ahead of anything he had the first time around but that is an ugly front office and coaching situation

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ammanas posted:

How the gently caress did the Celtics not beat that. Butler was a great fit for that team. The only possible excuse would be 'cant afford his cap #' theyre going after PG (a clear 1-year rental) and potentially Gordon Hayward. Lmao boston...

LaVine and Dunn are both young guys who are cheaper than anyone Boston could offer. Their only comparable package would be Bradley and Smart and those guys don't really fit well on the Bulls

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

wait are you saying that the bulls are trying to save money??

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

wrong topic

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Niwrad posted:

Mirotic is likely gone.

Bulls are committed to making it work

JK they're going to re-sign him and flip him at the deadline for

um

T...J....Warren?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

can you list all this out because Jesus Christ

Tony Snell for MCW(1), Butler for Dunn(2) and Levine(3 kinda), and then they traded Taj Gibson (holy poo poo) for Cameron Payne (4), Joffrey Lauvergenene, and the ghost of Anthony Morrow

Can't figure out who the fifth point guard is but literally every trade they've made since they fired Thibs has been garbage and they haven't hit on a draft pick since...

wait for it

Jimmy Butler!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Tae posted:

Kris Dunn is 23 years old going into his 2nd year

You are 23 going on 24 baby it's time to drink

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Butler trade official, sorry Bulls fans

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Wade's gonna get bought out and then sign with the Cavs and JR Smith's gonna get buried on the bench and I'm gonna be sad

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ESPN reminded me that the Lakers signed Mozgov to a multiyear 8 figure contract

Why did that happen again

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I know it makes zero sense in light of the point guard glut and big man deficit in San Antonio right now but bring back Handsome George Hill please

Dejan Bimble posted:

What do you guys think of the Ibaka signing?

The Raptors are going to pay a lot of money to keep together a core that won't make it back to the ECF without a lot of injury luck

Honestly depending on your opinion they're anywhere from the third to sixth best team in the East and of those six teams their future is the darkest both in the short and long term. They're stupidly profitable but they're essentially stuck in the same position that the Nuggets were in their post-Melo heyday: 45-52 wins, decent playoff showings, dead free agent periods, the beat goes on. Do you blow it up? Idk, if the Knicks manage to get Ujiri I guess you do so that the new pres can start things off right but otherwise the team is profitable and Toronto mostly seems to love them so why

I wouldn't sign Ibaka but I don't know what else they're doing with that money and they gave up assets sorta to get him so I guess roll the dicd

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I heard this is the thread where we lick some boots

Whose got some really crusty ones for me

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Hill is a good signing for Sacramento

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

xbilkis posted:

Speaking of Green, this seems like a weird decision from Memphis

https://twitter.com/CAGrizBeat/status/882323347941490689

They let Randolph walk, they're either blowing it up or clearing cap room for a big name FA next offseason (lmao)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Austin Rivers is the projected starter at SG and he's probably the best one they have left. Pretty major hole imo

Spacebump posted:

Between Griffin and Gallinari, this team is super likely to have injury issues. I don't think they will make the playoffs.

I honestly don't think Gallo is that good anyways. He'll probably end up trading spots with Mbah a Moute even if he is healthy

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I missed cap smoothing chat but I don't see why everyone should suffer just because Portland doesn't know what a good contract looks like

One of these days the other team isn't going to match and the Nets are actually gonna be stuck with one of these dumbass contracts

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Before the trade for Gallinari I said that a good GM could get the Clips to 50 wins this season. I'm not sold on Danilo and Blake being a good pairing, but I believe the Clippers are a 50 win team. I think it makes sense for the Clippers to tread water for a bit and see if maybe another superstar falls into their lap.

It's kinda hard to see who that would be though. Maybe Paul George gets really confused and signs with the wrong LA next season?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

5 millions a year and a team option for a dude who is 39 years old and literally can do nothing on a basketball court other than shoot seems like a pretty fine price to me.

He's tall Kyle Korver but slower and a worse shooter by a pretty huge margin. And 4 years older.

Dirk's usage is way higher and he's effective in the low-mid post and as a finisher you ignorant peasant

But yeah he's probably not cracking 30 mpg and he's a liability on defense and is a so so rebounder, he might have gotten more on the open market but he's on a "let me close out my career with a decent team" contract

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Midrange jumpers are the new market inefficiency

It's not like they were doing anything with it other than loving with teams

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Bigger travesty: late stage capitalism completely blurring the lines between work and home or that Tim Hardaway contract

Ammanas posted:

Well we can trickle it out over time or we can make August 100% about bay area traffic & housing concerns

I'm pretty clearly against smoothing of any kind so just bring it in all at once. Just note that much like the Magic, no one will care when you talk about it unless they already have an opinion.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

That's-a spicy paycut

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lonzo Ball looks like a really good passer and a really terrible everything else; going 2/15 is worthy of a paddlin'

Lockback posted:

I think the data is overreacting to a couple teams, but at the very least you can be a very successful team without being good at rebounding, you can even be bad at it! That doesn't mean this is always going to be the case. A basketball strategy is impenetrable until it isn't.

I meab rebounding is a part of The Four Factors TM so it's at least representative of some skill that affects wins and losses (second chance points generated/prevented? commitment to defensive schemes and player positioning? pulchritude?) idk it seems like a ridiculous conclusion to me

The original question was can the Celtics avoid getting killed on the boards because there is at least one player (Tristan Thompson) who will make life very difficult for them if they do not; no amount of analytics is going to make up for the fact that in the actual Game of Basketball the Celtics have punted on stopping teams from getting aggressive on the boards which will more than likely end up haunting them

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

leftist heap posted:

If DRose isn't willing to come off the bench which team would even start him regardless of contract.

If Tony Parker isn't healthy to start the season I could see the Spurs doing some dumb poo poo like grabbing him

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Something I noticed about Kennard is that his shots don't have a lot of arc on them. I get that not everyone shoots beautiful rainbows like Klay but all of his looked really flat, bordering on line drives.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I rewatched that lowlights Kennard video and he doen't get a lot of lift on his jumper either so he's doing the Dirk fadeaway to get space but he's 6 inches shorter than Dirk so he's not getting it off cleanly

Also Dirk has the common sense not to shoot those off the dribble

Holy poo poo Luke Kennard is going get blocked so much

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

dokmo posted:

Luke Kennard may be the least athletic player ever taken in the lottery.

quote:

A versatile shot maker who's not afraid of the moment, Kennard is best suited in a system where he's not going to be stuck in the corner waiting for catch and shoot opportunities, but rather running off screens (thanks to his ability to make catch and shoot jumpers, pull-ups, floaters and utilize his vision off of in-downs) and playing out of second side pick and roll, functioning more as a combo guard. He's proven that he can make quick decisions on the move and navigate a ball screen, so landing in a spot with a creative offense, where his versatility is welcomed, will be best for Kennard's maximum productivity. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luke-Kennard-72914/ ©DraftExpress

uh oh

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I got the itch to do something creative with basketball. Would any of you turbonerds like to do a podcast with me and my monotone nerd voice about the NBA draft and rookies over the course of the first year?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mr. BT posted:

I went back and looked at that draft. What were the Suns doing that year when they drafted Rondo and traded him for nothing?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I don't want to undersell this because however bad you think Garpax is about the bottom line the Suns in the mid 2000s were way worse and it almost certainly hurt the Suns in the long run.

Players that were traded or sold by the Suns for money reasons*, 2004-2009:
-Luol Deng
-Marcin Gortat
-Sergio Rodriguez
-Rudy Fernandez
-Rajon Rondo
-Kurt Thomas
-James Jones
-Emir Preldzc
-Shaquille O'Neal

*meaning deal involved cash considerations

Not to mention letting young Joe Johnson walk

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Bashez posted:

The Spurs signed a useless center so what's happening with Pau? I don't know where their cap is but it seems like it should be running out now right? Are they going to be shedding Aldridge somehow? So many questions. The only thing I know for sure is that Kawhi is the best player in the league and going to carry this garbage rear end team to 55 wins by himself.

Next year's the player option I believe so I guess it's possible they might be trying to negotiate a buyout if the market is weak for him

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morestuff posted:

Yeah I'm not seeing how an anchor tenant would help the Sprint Center at all

wow that's a lot of ice skating

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Tae posted:

Nobody is talking about Pau turning down almost 17 million dollars in a player option

He wants to re-sign with the Spurs, presumably he's trying to go for a longer contract (for god knows why given how old he is) and/or the Spurs are willing to deal with his massive cap hold while making moves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dejan Bimble posted:

I haven't seen it reported. I saw that the Spurs signed king Joffrey Lauvernge and Shigherly, he's probably cheaper than Pau

Lee and Gasol both turned down their player options with Lee being likely to walk as soon as the dust settles but this was almost three weeks ago

• Locked thread