Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ex post facho posted:

only 33 percent of NBA teams have won a finals compared to 50 percent in the NFL and 63 percent in the MLB? yikes

contract the league by 66%

Yes, there is no need to keep bad teams around, not when teams that have been good for their entire histories i.e. the Golden State Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers are dominating the game.

Seriously, the fact the two dominant teams right now and Cleveland and Golden State are like, some of the biggest arguments against contraction ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

of all the times to get off the nuggets bandwagon, why now, a time where you guys have an incredibly exciting and unique young player with star potential.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Metapod posted:

He's shook

Like, if I'm a fan of a bad and/or small market team I look at the Golden State Warriors and go "Hey, this means this could happen to my team!" They drafted 3/4 of their stars and got a 4th despite historically being a huge loving joke of a franchise.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

TBeats posted:

They have five titles.

From 1980- 2013 they had two 50 win seasons.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

Steph smoking a cigar with two hands was funnier than Durant spitting out the beer

Steph smoking a cigar? Isn't he worried about the health repercussions? He is an athlete and that seems very dangerous!!!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Buddy Hield, looks like you made it

Check out Buddy when Buddy get up

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

He ain't even get up that far

thank you nick

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Strawberry Panda posted:

Nick is my MVP.

Hell, Same.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lonzo Ball... is self aware?

This... may change things.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

19 year old Rookie PGs especially. You can sometimes find bigs that can contribute, or defensive, hustle wings. Fultz will probably be a contributor by the end of next season but I don't think he will be a focal point or anything.

Hayward would make a real big difference though.

Fultz is big, long, and athletic. He will make a bigger impact that I think you are making it out to be but I agree that it does almost nothing to close the gap between the Celtics and the Cavs.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The B_36 posted:

A few other other big, long and athletic rookies who weren't positive contributors in their rookie seasons: Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Giannis Antetokounpo. Being an effective player as a rookie in the NBA is very rare, and the younger the rookie is, the rarer it is.

The gently caress? What kind of dumbass revisionist history is Lebron James and Kevin Durant not being positive contributors during their rookie years?

Durant earned 2.3 win shares despite being played out of position and Lebron had like a Vorp of 3 and winshares above 5.

Yeah Giannis has not great but he spend the better part of his basketball career up to that point playing against 5 foot tall dudes in Greece so you can see why he might struggle out of the gate. Never mind the fact that those dudes are all forwards and Fultz is a Point Guard.

If you want to compare him to contemporary players, look at Wall or Kyrie. Wall came out and played pretty well his rookie year, and Kyrie played at drat near All Star levels. Elite Point Guard prospects can do well their rookie years.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

No way Kyrie goes over Fultz. Kyrie is a great player but he barely played in college and while he was the consensus #1 in that class, (if I'm remembering correctly) that class was thought to be very poor.

Man, I wonder what European Blake Griffin is up to these days.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm late to the party but loving LOL at the idea that new york has a "perfect climate"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

EvanTH posted:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Didn't he shave his head last offseason too?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

In general, people treating making the finals and losing like it's somehow worse than not making the finals at all is maybe the most puzzling thing about sports ever.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

TAE: With these names, I'll rid the world of infestation - Sans Lingua Franca. The world will be torn asunder and then, it shall be free.

Nick is the GOAT

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Do you like any sports? Every league I can think of has a handful of good teams and the other 90% are middle of the pack or bottom feeders.

Like do you really think the Padres have a shot at the World Series this year?

Basketball is different because aside from an NFL QB, there really isn't a situation where you can get one superstar that dramatically changes a whole team. LeBron goes back to Cleveland and they immediately turn from garbage to Finals competitors.

Baseball is a really terrible point to bring up because most people, including "experts" expected teams like the Brewers, Rockies, Dbacks, and Twins to finish well below .500 and if the season ended today they would be in the playoffs. Parity in Baseball is extremely reverent.

But also I don't think that parity is either a problem, nor is it "fixable" in the NBA unless you do things that are massively anti-player like limiting teams to one max contract. Basketball has, and always will be a game about stars and that will never end.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ex post facho posted:

yea i agree. so do you think the next 5 finals winners will be warriors warriors warriors warriors cavs, or warriors cavs warriors warriors cavs

I feel like you are extremely shortsighted.

2000: So do you think the next 5 finals winners will be Lakers Lakers Lakers Lakers

2008: So do you think the next 5 finals winners will be Celtics Celtics Celtics Celtics

2011: So do you think the next 5 finals winners will be Miami Miami Miami Miami

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You are literally insane.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Also Shrinking the league makes the product infinitely worse.

Less teams mean talent can pool way easier. If you think you're seeing the same 2 teams in the finals now, enjoy seeing the CP3/Harden/Kawhi/Lebron/Davis Cavs go up against the Curry/Thompson/Durant/Draymond/Cousins Warriors for 8 seasons in a row.

Lebron is going to be 38 in 5 years. Curry's ankles could die tomorrow and no one would bat an eye.

I've never mat a fan so fatalist that they hate their team so much they literally, unironically want they contracted.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 15, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ex post facho posted:

actually the idea of a premier league system like the English soccer system sounds like it'd work pretty well for the NBA without needing contraction

Manchester United literally has over 50% of primer league championships.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ex post facho posted:

drat i'd watch the poo poo out of that series

THEN YOU SHOULD LOVE THE NBA RIGHT NOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Oops nevermind love on the books for 19-20

He's signed for 3 years and would be perfect for the sixers man. Idk. Seems good.

getting love would require the 76ers to basically say "gently caress you" to Dario. They need PF minutes for him and Simmons anyway.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

That is a loving Hinkie-rear end Sam Hinkie Trade

The Spirit of Hinkie lives on.

Also with those protections, the trade is absolutely terrible for the Celtics and I cannot believe they made it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

if you're trying to trade for Jimmy Butler, Brooklyn 2018 + Sacramento 2019 looks way better than Brookyln 2018 + maybe-the-lakers-2018-but-more-likely-the-2019-kings-unless-we're-unlucky-and-then-the-picks-bad

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can the Sixers even play Love and Simmons together? Maybe if Simmons adds lateral quickness and can guard 3s

I still don't see how a man of Simmons size will be able to defend anything but the 4 at the NBA level but it still remains to be seen.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Brutal

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Not to take away from hilarious this is, but I would not pay much attention to any of the crazy poo poo someone says on NBA countdown, a show where people are payed to say crazy poo poo about basketball.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

AINGE TRADE THE BROOKLYN PICK AND THE LAKERS 2018 FOR ZINGER!!!!!!!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I would start going to so many celtics games if they had Zinger.

Isiah
Bradly
Gordon
Zinger
Horford

Crowder
Zeller
Brown
Smart
~-3rd Overall Pick~-

That's a fun-rear end team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

aBagorn posted:

Can the Sixers package whatever doesn't convey from the BOS trade plus, idk Saric, and get Zing?

Simmons
Fultz
Covington
Kristaps
Embiid

:shlick:

loving lol at the idea of this team defending Cleveland or washington or oklahoma city or golden state or houston or boston or literally any elite guard talent

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Win a ring for the Zing

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MARCUS SMART AND #3 PULL THE TRIGGER AINGE

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Metapod posted:

Russell is going to be at least Conley good imo

at least? That's uh, extremely high floor there.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

I was just giving you a reason why they'd trade him

its a bad reason because in 2 years he is a restricted free agent. Unless he want's to sabotage his earning potential he is stuck in New York for a long time

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

remember that dude who was all like "contract half the league" a few weeks ago imagine a world where that happens and the offseason never even approaches this level smh

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

pubic works project posted:

Well he might Trust The Process.

How does he feel about cats and their positions relative to the floor

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

the tulane triple towers

The Thirteenth Place Triple Towers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU