Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Congratulations to the good Golden State Warrior!

https://twitter.com/JaValeMcGee34/status/874498236613926912

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Noctone posted:

They made some savvy moves, sure, but Curry's ankles and the cap explosion were both extremely fortuitous events that made everything possible.
Yeah, even with the Curry ankle discount, I'm pretty sure they couldn't have offered Durant a realistic contract if only there'd been cap smoothing. This team really shouldn't have been possible (not begrudging the union's decision if shooting down the cap smoothing was best for the players but just pointing out how unlikely this confluence of circumstances really was)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

on the other hand I don't really think the Warriors or basically any NBA team wants to go to the Trump White House

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

zoux posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA_Math/status/875095302172282885

What I'm gathering here is that Steve Nash was the worst defender of all time.
Bad at defense but I imagine a big factor is he played enough minutes in his career to accumulate a lot of negative points saved.

Looks like LeBron is the GOAT, and check out what happens when he stops coasting (playoff stats)

for reference LeBron has 9127 playoff minutes, MJ 7474

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The other owners are probably actually really pissed at Ballmer right now.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

euphronius posted:

Is dlo a core piece.
I still think he should be but it's pretty obvious the Lakers want to move on.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

sum posted:

Sure, but he was also a young, high-usage guard who put up gaudy counting stats on a poo poo team. Also Booker was the first recorded player to put up a negative +/- in a 60+ point game
He was also only 20 years old while putting up those 70 points. Remember, this thread always discusses how 19-20 year olds are "bad" in terms of helping teams win games? For his age, he's very impressive.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 20, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Tae posted:

Didn't his team basically foul repeatedly to let him get enough possessions to shoot that much
They only fouled twice. Williams fouled IT right away with 45 seconds left and then Ulis fouled him again with 41 seconds left and that was it, then Booker scored his 70th

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 20, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

BWV posted:

the trade is just sad because a player 2 years removed from going 2nd in the draft is being thrown in as an incentive to clear cap space and acquire the worst rebounding centre since Bargnani.
And the cap space they're clearing is from a contract they gave out less than a year ago!!

and of course

Niwrad posted:

They also signed Luol Deng to a 4 year $72 million deal.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dexo posted:

Sometimes Picks don't work out and don't fit the culture, poo poo happens.

They were able to trade salary filler in Mosgov, and a player that didn't fit into their future in Russel, and a d100 roll for a 27th pick for a talented Big in Lopez, and significantly more cap flexability going forward.
It's not like they're the Spurs with a well-known culture that turns all sorts of guys into winners. They're a team with a new coach and new GM who don't even have a game under them. Dlo not fitting their future and not fitting their culture are choices they're actively making that they don't need to make.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You said almost the same thing yesterday out of the blue.

There was never any serious indication that Philly was interested or able to trade the #3 for Butler. I'm not sure being able to acquire the best guard prospect in the draft since DRose is "retarded", especially considering that they were able to put solid protections on the Lakers pick and didn't have to move any other core players.
Solid protections? It's only #1 protected right? That and the back-end protections for Boston's sake.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

zoux posted:

If Lebron leaves Cleveland again, I assume it wouldn't reach The Decision levels of rage but would it be worse than KD leaving OKC?
Not at all. He won a championship for them and Gilbert fired the GM

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

euphronius posted:

Tanking ruined the team :qq:
What if there was a N/V quote armageddon? I remember when Process debates used to beak out once a week. Thankfully I always trusted

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I always thought Billups was destined for coaching. I remember reading when he got traded to Denver that he basically overhauled how that team functioned and was coaching it from the floor.

Looks like he's been a GM candidate a bit lately though, I wasn't aware of this: http://bsndenver.com/chauncey-billups-seems-destined-for-a-gm-job-but-it-wont-be-with-the-nuggets/

i was looking for an article about his approach when he got traded to Denver and found this NYT article... uhh

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/sports/basketball/24billups.html posted:

But added to a nucleus of the All-Star forward Carmelo Anthony, J. R. Smith and Kenyon Martin, Billups quickly cured the Nuggets. Unlike Iverson, he elevated the play of those around him. His maturity was contagious, demonstrated in everything from Anthony’s on-court effort to the team’s off-court makeover. Suits are the norm, not baggy pants and untucked shirts. Camaraderie, not individualism, is the cherished trait. Billups won the N.B.A.’s sportsmanship award this season. No more Thuggets.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 22, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

if I'm the Suns I do that Chriss/bender/#4 for Porzingis deal all day

As for Denver, Jokic is really good obviously and a lot of people think Murray is going to be really good. Gary Harris is solid too, but yeah given his overlap with Murray that team needs a few more pieces before it really has something approaching a full core.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Paul Zuvella posted:

People were doing the same thing with Mozgov and Deng. People were really, really stupid last off season.

:cry: 16 million is the going rate for center in today's NBA!!! :cry:
An underrated terrible deal is Ian Mahinmi's with Washington

He's already over 30 and they've got him at 16m per for 3 more years. And he's basically had one season where he amounted to more than a garbage time player his whole career.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mcmagic posted:

I just want to say that if the Knicks trade KP, I hope they burn down the Garden tonight.
I dunno, as angry as people rightfully are at the idea of the Knicks trading King Zing, it sounds like the Knicks are asking for a king's ransome

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

D'Angelo Russell is going to be better than all the other Lakers picks (Randle, Ingram, Ball)

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

paternity suitor posted:

Selling 2nd rounders happens enough that I'm willing to accept that there are reasons it makes sense that fans can't understand. It's not a video game. It could be as simple as the team doesn't feel like they can appropriately handle that many young players and they couldn't trade them for more picks so they sold them. It could be a lot of things that we don't know about so really who cares? Mostly tho Hinkie did it so it is Hinkie Approved
I'm not sure the "Hinkie did it" defense is good. I read he only once sold a pick and it was the 60th. Also I find it hard to believe they couldn't have traded the 2nds for future 2nds. That said I doubt this ends up amounting to much and I think a bigger mistake was drafting counterfeit Porzingis in the first round. i get they wanted a euro to stash and even late firsts rarely hit but this guy's odds seem even lower than usual. and the Spurs pick right after looks very good

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

euphronius posted:

I just said they are probably in win now mode because they made their coach the gm and they have as far as any one can tell one guaranteed year with butler unless he commits early to resigning.
They still have two guaranteed years with Jimmy Butler because he's under contract for two years. But taking your logic where they need to trade him after 1 if they don't get an extension promise it would be amusing to see them get back more than they gave.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Joel Embiid is the best defensive anchor in the NBA already, statistics confirm. He'll be able to cover up the deficiencies of his young teammates and the Sixers will make the playoffs. Kevin Durant is a hater.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

Gonna be odd when Woj's twitter handle changes to "WojESPN" or whatever at 12:01 and he's immediately tweeting deals.
Maybe he'll bring his "Vertical" shop with him to ESPN and can keep the old handle

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dejan Bimble posted:

It is rookie of the year and not most valuable rookie per possession, or rookie of 37.8% of the year
the steady 26-year-old vet coming out of college with a master's degree wins over the game changing young big because he got hurt halfway through the season? Voters don't actually wanna pick the best player, they want to give out an attendance award

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Where is the Big 3 GDT
Sticky thread.

and I went on twitter today and Kwame Brown was trending so it must be going good

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dexo posted:

Seriously he's not the first parent to be overbearing sports parent.

And until I see a situation where he actively sabatoges his own kids money or success or goes against his kids wishes is when its a problem.
He didn't let them sign a huge deal with Nike and instead founded the Big Baller Brand.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Paul Zuvella posted:

What terrible power forward is going to be starting for them next year, waiting to be scapegoated when the team fails to win?
Paul George

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Glumslinger posted:

Something I hadn't realized, but the Lakers haven't done a press conference to introduce Lopez yet. They already had one for all of the draft picks, but not a single word about Lopez. Maybe thats just the kind of thing that happens when your fire your entire front office and your main spokemen all resign in sympathy?

Just a thought
Lakers staff must be reading our thread. Like 30 minutes after you posted:
https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/879816925500514305

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Carmelo is gonna be celebrating with a big bowl of honey nut cheerios

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't even see why the Knicks need Melo gone to begin with. He doesn't fit into their plans but it's not such a big deal that it'd make sense to pay him $50,000,000 to go away. I thought Phil's whole media bullying thing was toward the purpose of getting him to waive his NTC so they can get something back for him. If he'll waive the NTC somewhere that wants him then go ahead and trade him, otherwise who cares

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The James Harden point guard experiment took the team to new heights and almost won him the MVP. Let's get a new point guard

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

mcmagic posted:

Because they have a 21 year old guy who should be one of the best players in the NBA in a few years if they don't gently caress him up and who's development Melo being there is hampering. Also, they aren't going to be a good team for the next few years anyway.
Yeah, they're not going to be a good team anyway... Melo isn't exactly going to ruin the tank job though. And how is Melo going to hamper KP's development? They get along and can fit together on the court. You thin just too much Melo iso? I don't know...

Tae posted:

The Rockets lost badly to the Spurs because Harden was gassed and their offense stalled because of it.
I mean if you can get CP3 then take him! but seems like most every other team could have used him more...

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Tae posted:

Also do the Mavs laugh or get mad at CP3 for taking away their one free agent and then leaving anyways to strand him in LA?
He always wanted to be the focal point of the offense, should get more plays for him now

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

euphronius posted:

It would bigly. He could do that for years.
Lets retire the word bigly and also its cousin big league. A thought I had

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dolan is asking a bunch of guys who will turn him down, forcing him to settle for Isiah

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Wish they would've dumped his contract with a pick to the Lakers for DLo.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

euphronius posted:

Sixers don't want dlo. Fultz is better. Probably.
Probably but I'd rather have him than Redick

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The B_36 posted:

I really, desperately, DO NOT want to wade into the Labour vs Capital debate and be faced with having to read 1100 pages of the Communist Manifesto
The Manifesto is a breezy 30 pages

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jaylen Brown is building the foundations of a future banana boat crew. Very valuable skill if the Celtics can hang onto him

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 10, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

MourningView posted:

My issues with it were less with the process itself than with how people talked about it, i guess. The idea that you have a better chance to get good players if you pick high does not take some sort of revolutionary genius to come up with. It's a fairly obvious thing, most ownership groups (including this one, apparently, since he got canned) won't tolerate taking it to that extreme for that long. I also think the gloating about how it's worked that happened after they got the Fultz pick seemed premature and obnoxious given that the whole premise behind it was that teams should only ever be either title contenders or trying to get the #1 pick (which I don't really agree with, I think being just pretty good tends to be an underrated fan experience assuming you're not just completely checked out until the playoffs start) and it is still very much not a given that the team they've built will wind up being a contender.
The premise is that you draft for generational talent, because you need top talent to win in the NBA. We now know they've got that with Embiid if he stays healthy. They've surrounded Embiid with two #1 picks in Simmons and Fultz, and theoretically all those guys will fit well together. And they've now got other NBA talent guys to surround them with like Covington and Saric and others. I get that there were doubters in the beginning but at this point the process worked and Sam Hinkie's vision has been validated, so it's weird to say he's not a genius or that people that were process fans from the beginning aren't all geniuses too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Anyone know how Okafor's balky knee is doing? I wonder if he's gonna get any time on the court this season. My brother hates him because he says Okafor punching guys in Boston is what led to Hinkie being martyred.

• Locked thread