Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

milk milk lemonade posted:

Yah but what's the end game for the Lakers? I have no doubt Lebrons game will age well. But if he isn't at his peak how far can he carry LA?

If they're just trying to sell tickets then :shrug: They do the same thing over and over though and it really only worked when they had a generational talent or two in their prime

So far the end game would be a team with Paul George as the best player, an aging LeBron as the second best (or maybe LeBron as the best depending on how he ages, more likely he is the best at least one year), Lonzo Ball, and probably a bunch of role-players that follow LeBron/want to live in LA now that the Lakers can make it to the playoffs again. Paul George and 33 year old LeBron is a better 2 person core than every team in the West that isn't Golden State.

Any salary LeBron gives up to be on the Lakers can easily be made up in Hollywood because he is LeBron James.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

The Still have Brandon Ingrhaham

How could I forget about Diet Durant?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Rick posted:

So why not do the move next offseason then? Like even if the Lakers really hated D'Angelo Russell, they could've made this decision when they were able to know FOR SURE that Lebron was coming over. "Well we had to decline D'Angelo's contract option to create the space for Lebron James and Paul George, who are signing tomorrow" is a lot better than," a "well maybe Lebron and Paul are interested next year so let's go ahead and get rid of him anyway."

They need to open up those minutes for Lonzo to ball. Got to give him as much exp as possible before Mr. James comes to town.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

You can't always go home.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dwight Howard from MVP level player to traded for junk at 31. Back injuries can ruin anyone. (and not being allowed to use stickum.)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lockback posted:

How is all this happening and the Draft hasn't even occurred yet?

Just because the season ended doesn't mean reality has been fixed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Good for the Kings. Would be tempting to take the number 2 but I'd rather go with 5/10.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/Jeffkais/status/877391763232763905
https://twitter.com/ESefko/status/877200694192869379

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I like this part of that article.

"Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical said on a podcast last week James could again leave Cleveland next year, this time potentially landing in Los Angeles with the Lakers or Clippers. Meanwhile, Cowley added Irving has been contacting fellow Team USA players to inform them "he might be willing to push for a trade" due to the ongoing drama."

edit: if you look at the roster of last Team USA, you can assume he didn't contact the Warriors, Knicks, or Pacer from the team. That means he is allegedly considering forcing a way to the Raptors, Pelicans, Bulls, Clippers, or Mavs.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 21, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

zoux posted:

If Lebron leaves Cleveland again, I assume it wouldn't reach The Decision levels of rage but would it be worse than KD leaving OKC?

Probably not because of the title he won there and assuming Gilbert messes up even more.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I have no idea how reliable this guy is but it showed up in the hoops hype rumors section.
https://twitter.com/peteredmiston/status/877535007123886080

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I imagine the script for campaign phone banking would look like this.

Hi this is ____ from the (opponent of Ainge's son) Congressional Campaign. (opponent of Ainge's son) has been endorsed by Governor Gary Herbert and Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey because they know he's the only candidate with the government experience and Republican values needed to represent our community. (Opponent of Ainge's son) would never allow his father to sign Gordon Hayward away from the Utah Jazz. Let's show the NBA establishment that Utah is not for sale. Can (opponent of Ainge's son) count on your support in the Republican primary?

(If yes) Great! Would you like to volunteer to block walk or phone bank for the campaign? Thanks! Have a great day!
(If no) Is it ok if we let your neighbors know that your support the God-less Boston Celtics instead of the Utah Jazz?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The season ticket being sold out is impressive. Being sold out every game would be less impressive. Many times pro sports sellouts are fudged numbers or owners buying leftover seats last minute. The Mavs currently have the longest sellout streak in American pro sports. Mavs fans are not the best fans in the NBA.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

xbilkis posted:

1. Markelle Fultz
2. Lonzo Ball
3. Josh Jackson
4. Jayson Tatum
5. Jonathan Isaac
6. De'Aaron Fox
7. Dennis Smith
8. Malik Monk
9. Zach Collins
10. Lauri Markkanen
11. Frank Ntilikina
12. Harry Giles
13. OG Anunoby
14. Donovan Mitchell
15. Luke Kennard
16. John Collins
17. Ike Anigbogu
18. Edrice Adebayo
19. Justin Patton
20. Jarrett Allen
21. Tony Bradley
22. TJ Leaf
23. Terrance Ferguson
24. Anzejs Pasecniks
25. Jonah Bolden
26. Justin Jackson
27. Frank Jackson
28. D.J. Wilson
29. Tyler Lydon
30. Josh Hart

If anyone wants to see the ceiling/floor blurbs for anyone in particular just ask

I'm going to be pissed if the Mavs get Collins.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

Would you rather have Lauri or Frank?

Frank but only because the Mavs have showed so much interest. I have not seen enough of the players to really have a valid opinion on any of them. Collins being all potential and not being the best big man for his team in the tournament would have me worried.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Imagine if Russell, Okafor, and Zingis all grt traded by tomorrow

Lasted exactly two years

If the Knicks trade King Zing just wow.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

morestuff posted:

This is probably gonna gently caress some teams up

https://twitter.com/byjayking/status/877728710073368576

Lol this offseason never stops delivering.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Seth Curry is hosting the official Mavs draft party so don't expect him to be part of any potential trades.

also
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/877940471720325120

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Why the gently caress would Indiana want Lamarcus Aldridge? I assume they would try to flip him for a pick, but what team with a good pick would want LMA? Maybe Minnesota if they are planning on making the playoffs next year that would be shortsighted

Somebody's got to make the playoffs in the East.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Jota posted:

GarPax are seriously worthless sacks of poo poo. What an awful day for Bulls fans

They helped expand the Warriors domination. All non Warriors fans should dislike them today

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I have no idea how the Mavs are going to approach free agency beyond match Noel's contract and bring back most of their guys that have team options. For sure Brussino, Finney-Smith, and Yogi. The team has insinuated they want to bring back Harris, Hammonds, and Uthoff but they'd have too many players. Donnie Nelson has said they aren't going after a point guard in free agency after drafting DSJ. I expect Dwight Powell to get traded at some point this season but not sure if that will happen sooner or later.

I hope they don't use Dirk's team option and convince him to sign a cheaper deal, he deserves to get paid. This would also be a good move to help them have money to resign Curry next year.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

TheKevman posted:

6'9 225 athletic as gently caress people are comparing him to Draymond idk about that though, he's a different player.

His tournament run was SUPER good. There was no way you COULDN'T pay attention to him or know his name (especially if you were a fan of the losing team).

He averaged like 13 rebs per game, of which like 4-5 were offensive. He was so dominant on the boards and on defense. Against Kansas he went for 11/13/8 blocks. Was amazing.

I don't think his offense is nearly as terrible as people are making it out to be, and Bob Meyers said they had him pegged in the 1st and to be honest, I'm surprised he didn't go earlier.

I agree with you 100%. For what the Warriors need, this is an amazing 2nd round pick. At worst I think this guy will turn into Faried with better D.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

People are murmuring that Millsap isn't coming back to Atlanta. I wonder where he's going, if that's the case.

I wish Milsap was a little younger and a free agent next summer.

Niwrad posted:

I hope this becomes the new 20 pounds of muscle in the offseason.

https://twitter.com/EarlKSneed/status/878342645252321280

48 inch vert according to his Lakers workout. Next season's Mavs are probably going to have more dunks than any Dirk era team. The only position they won't have someone who can do cool dunks is the 2 guard.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

So did Paul according to ESPN

I hope this ends with both of them leaving and more emoji tweets.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Whooping Crabs posted:

What contender needs/can afford them?

The Boston Celtics.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

It is a real trip to realize it was extremely possible for the Lakers to have had Shaq and Magic on the team at the same time

And baby Kobe. The biggest trip for me with the Lakers is Wilt could have been a bench player for Showtime.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

chunkles posted:

athletes doing twitter stuff like that is perplexing to me because one of my first expenditures after getting a contract would be paying some nerd $500/month to retweet inspirational crap and put the whole drat thing on autopilot. what's the point of being rich if you still have to use social media with the serfs

Shear Modulus posted:

what if you were president of the united states

This blows my mind because I've been paid by a politician (for the side that supports fair wages) in a major city/county in Texas to run their social media. For how cheap you can get people to do this, all celebrities and politicians should have it done.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 24, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I wonder if King Zing did other disgruntled stuff that wasn't reported. I still can't believe how much the Knicks are messing up this situation.

Edit:
If DRose lands on the Spurs for multiple years, Pop will ensure he gets to the hall of fame.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 24, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

EvanTH posted:

there was disgruntled stuff reported earlier in the year. Porzingis likes Melo (despite Melo making GBS threads on him after the draft) and didn't take kindly to Phil correctly pointing out Melo Sucks during the season

skipping the exit interview didn't come out of nowheres

I know the disgruntled stuff was reported/has been going on for a while. I've mentioned it before (People here might not believe me) but the last night of all star weekend after the game someone very close (I won't say what they do because I don't want someone to lose a job because e-detectives) to Porzingis only had bad words about the franchise. Of course Kibner was driving back home when this occurred but it really did happen.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 24, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

If the Spurs get CP3 will he continue the tradition of big Spurs free agent signings underwhelming once they get there? It seems like LMA is getting almost Richard Jefferson levels of hate from Spurs fans.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Libertine posted:

The LMA hate is fair because he was about as effective as 2017 Richard Jefferson in the playoffs.

Wasn't LMA playing with an injured hip a lot of this year or did I misread that somewhere?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Klay enjoying a trip to China.
https://twitter.com/guga31bb/status/878650130458652672

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Harrison Barnes talking about Dirk.
"Honestly, I've just been trying to work as hard as I can and spend as much time as I can with him in the gym. I remember one day at practice we're standing on the sidelines on the gym and said, 'Oh man, Dirk, you're about to get to 20 years. That's impressive. Do you think I can get to 20 years?' He's like, 'No way man. You need major skill to get to 20 years.'

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-mavericks/mavericks/2017/06/13/harrison-barnes-shines-light-relationship-dirk-nowitzki

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Rasta_Al posted:

Why in the hell wont FS1 just broadcast Big3 on the day of? Screw this one day later crap

Big 3 needs Stern to become the commish and end tape delayed games.

Boo. Let Dirk get paid.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dutchy posted:

Honestly I'm a cap dumbass so I'm not actually sure. The impression I've gotten is that they could accept Dirk's option and sign Noel to his inevitable max and that declining Dirk's option is more about being able to do other poo poo, but that could be totally wrong.

It's weird to me because I assumed they would let Dirk keep his deal and use that money to resign Curry next year. They are going to need to get rid of a player or two (Powell/Matthews) to keep him next offseason. Not having Curry's bird rights will make that a pain.

Ratzinc posted:

As someone who thinks the Mavs usually overpay, do you think Nerlens Noel gets the max? His production hasn't even reached 10 & 10 (even in rebounds has he yet to average 10), has had injury issues and it seems like teams are starting to become skittish on signing players to max contracts after least off season. Just judging by counting stats, he doesn't seem like a cornerstone.

Before the offseason I had read (in the hoopshype rumors section) multiple teams planned on offering Noel max so I assume the Mavs will have to give him a max deal.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The end of this is retroactively funnier than when it was written due to the DeAngelo trade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCZ3DhCLpBc

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

Really doubt the Sixers are going to make the playoffs this year but it'd be cool

This is the magical time of the year when nobody's playoff hopes are dead yet. until the end of the free agency

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Fisher is probably going to get the poo poo beat out of him someday and it'll be hilarious.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Predictions on if Magic is cooling his jets or if he's going to jump in at the last minute and sell the farm for PG

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/879318930996834304

I can never see a Steve Kyler tweet without thinking about this one.

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/687816696430723073

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Why would they do that? They just drafted French Frank and should be giving him those minutes. I don't understand GM Phil.

Looking more and more like Clippers really are about to break up. I know they would have had a hard time keeping him but with him gone they can only be worse next season.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

BWV posted:

IT getting a vote rules

They shouldn't let the person that voted for IT vote next season. League already changed the all star vote because of Zaza. This is probably worse than that.

I'm excited about the free agency. Even though the Mavs are mainly going to pay Noel and use team options on young players. I wouldn't mind if they got Joe Ingles for their bench. Mainly I just want to play as the Mavs with a custom 18 season roster in 2k.

I wonder where Tony Allen will sign. If the Grizz are really going to only offer him minimum he will probably leave. If the Clippers keep CP3/Blake, they should try to sign him.

• Locked thread