Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
LeBron cut way back on the egregious flops because it takes you out of the play if it's not called. He's not Lionel Messi Who Never Dives or anything but nowadays it goes the other way--players get away with a lot of fouls on him because he's usually trying to play through contact and the other mortals aren't powerful enough to impede his progress. He's so god damned strong a lot of his normal motions look like clear-out offensive fouls.

Also I was thinking about that BruhReport LeBron > Jordan rant and the part where the ranting dude accidentally calls Michael Jordan "Michael Jackson" and how it was a sensible mistake because back then Magic Johnson Michael Jordan and Michael Jackson were working on some kinda convergent path, and Jordan's Marketing was so far beyond LeBron's marketing it's not even a discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHI1yI1Ndk
MJ couldn't write a bad song even for some corny cross-promotion, hah.
closest thing LeBron got to that was his guest spot in Trainwreck and it's hard to argue Bill Hader + Amy Schumer have the same pull as the King Of Pop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Marshall Plumlee likes close up magic

The close-up magic scene is dominated by pro-athletes going forward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyjTTjaNSyY

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
who fathoms with a pole instead of a sounding line y'all sailors are crazy I'm never setting foot aboard your ships

xbilkis posted:

Hinkie-worshippers like to give Colangelo poo poo, but I think the Sixers are at the point where they can overpay for what they think is the Last Piece before they push toward contention.

this seems premature to me

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WhyteRyce posted:

But seriously :lol: that Vlade's stupid rear end made this possible because the farthest he looks ahead is to his next smoke break

don't be an simple dude there's no way Vlade takes a break to have a smoke. He's probably got like 4 ashtrays in his office, another secret hidden one in the desk and portable one in the belly pocket of his tracksuit

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

this is not the process I have come to trust

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The Foot Locker ad completely changed my mind on Ball because I am a male between the ages of 15 and 35 thus a member of the demographic most highly susceptible to advertising so I don't see much of a difference between the 1-3 this year

although all the film I seen says Fultz is best

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

xbilkis posted:

Does it make sense for Boston to draw the line at "top 5" for the 2018 Lakers pick? What happens when Buddy gets the Kings up into the late lottery

the earth opens up and four riders on varicolored horses emerge from the depths

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm not sold on the current trade but his reputation also has to do with assembling a very good team out of thin air and winning the championship

That wasnt Danny Ainge.

That was me.

Please tell all your Boston fan friends maybe somebody will give me a free burrito or something

Hey there goes the guy who got us the championship geez he looks hungry

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hell yeah.

This thread and the draft thread are now identical.

What are the possible red flags on Fultz? I can name three--
-didn't play on a winning team (fully loving moronic, not a real issue and doesn't count)
-65% free throw shooting (could project poorly if he can't shoot, guards really need to be able to shoot)
-desperately really needs to cut his hair (Cut Your Hair or Get Cut From The Team, there is no third option in this Harsh Realm)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Don't leave your face empty on the court or it'll Harden that way and you'll be out on the street pawing dicks for MVP votes

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

pubic works project posted:

I dunno. Maybe. The fact that he wants Swanigan's fatass leads me to believe he's a Purdue guy. But yes, the average Indiana sports fan is a moron.

The average person is a moron and smart people aren't any better

Papercut posted:

The dress code was Stern's attempt to court football fans and I'm very happy that the league has adopted the official policy of "gently caress football fans."

I don't understand why Stern is popular around here when he was responsible for that dog whistle STOP THESE MEN FROM DRESSING LIKE THUGS on top of his decades-long history of being a true anti-player piece of poo poo

at least the dress code completely backfired and now Rich Young Black Men (Oh no!!!) are wearing Expensive Fashions (Oh no!!! Gay!!!)

full outfits of excessively baggy clothes looked silly anyways. Served no purpose except to allow Gilbert to conceal his pistols on the court

Dejan Bimble posted:

You have to thank Kanye and the dress code for finally ending the maternity tees and wide jeans era. Things have probably swung too far in the opposite direction, but that's okay, it's a much better direction

I don't have to thank Kanye at all for that he was surfing a wave of dressing well that would have rolled in without him

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 18, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
True enough. I don't remember what kinda hot takes Malice generated but I imagine they were scorching and revolting

As for player power, MLB and the rest of the leagues all say thank you forever Marvin Miller :patriot: True American Hero RIP

NBA owes a lot of their player power to the Oscar Robertson Lawsuit victory where they defeated the league owners, represented by head lawyer David Stern of Proskauer Rose LLP (firm which continues to represent all the major leagues when they do their lockouts).

I do not understand at all what Paul George is doing or why he would announce that. Didn't he say a few days ago "I play for the Pacers right now", which was already about as borderline as a player ought to go if they're trying to max their value (shoulda left out "right now," always say you love the team and want to win no matter what even when everyone knows you're lying)? Who is his agent and why are they stupid or absent?

edit: googled an answer to part of that question, George's agent is "Aaron Mintz" and George should be his most important client:
http://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent_clients/Aaron-Mintz/58
Also the agent for Randle and D'angelo Russell maybe he's secretly a Lakers fan who doesn't care about his job

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 18, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Eltoasto posted:

Love has been absolute garbage against the Warriors the last 2 years, so I can see the Cavs interest if they feel like a winning team would keep PG around, which I bet it would. As for Indy getting Love, well he's a white star player so they'd like it, but he'd be a terrible fit next to Turner. Just trade him to whatever team with cap room will give you the best pick and throw all your money at Hayward. When that doesn't work, do a full rebuild. That's my plan but the owners won't do that because rebuilds mean no money.

He was the second or third best player on the Cavs last year when they beat the Warriors! He's 1-1 in serieses against the Warriors how is that absolute garbage!!!

This year he was moving dudes around in the paint and actually collecting rebounds (he was really really good at grabbing with one arm while the other was locked up) while TT was getting tossed by Zaza, reached over by Durant and outhustled by Curry. Love had active hands and was messing up Warriors passing lanes and drawing fouls and all kinda poo poo. He missed some open shots but this is so god danged strange to me why are people trying to move one of the best pieces they have?

Shumpert was bad, Deron Williams was VERY bad, Kyle Korver couldn't get it done, Tristan Thompson played like he dating a Kardashian, K-Love was fine. Chris Bosh didn't suck on the Heat either! Why replace what was good when there was so much bad?

MourningView posted:

I don't think people actually like Stern they just think him acting like an over the top wrestling heel in real life was funny.

Eh you're probably right. I say f Stern tho coward only rigs the draft for the Knicks once then abandons them forever once the heat turns up, loving turncoat, loving suki opuschiny whore

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Going back to the which player is which rapper discussion this definitely cements KD as Kevin gates

unless I missed something from his most recent few albums Kevin Gates was all about making everyone uncomfortable by being way too open about his life. Kevin Durant is the full opposite, he always lies and denies which is why we can't be more than 60% certain that Kevin Durant can only achieve an erection by inhaling a fart

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

So if Durant is now clearly James Joyce, what modernist author is Lebron James? Which one is Kawhi? Who is TS Eliot? So many questions opened up by Kev's fart lust

Chris Paul is Borges because some people say he's in the discussion for GOAT and yet he's never even made it past a second chapter

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Someone is a bit cranky that they chose MCW over the Lakers pick.

https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/876822079554945024

hot daughter
check it and see

better at drafting than vivek ranadive

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

huh GMs unaware basketball is a team sport

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
F5 season came early

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When did LeBron even get married? I guess he glhas been for a while, but I completely missed that

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Tae posted:

How is that different from the last 10 years

is this a trick question or just a stupid one

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
stop making poo poo up he's Kevin Durant women are lining up volunteering to fart in his face

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

WhyteRyce posted:

Ainge: hey magic I hear you really like this Ball kid
Magic: passing the ball leads to assists
Ainge: shame if someone drafted him before you
Magic: you drafting Ball means I can't draft Ball
Ainge: if someone offered me a DeAngelo Russell I might be persuaded to pass on Ball
Magic: Number two picks after number one
Ainge: gently caress I have to go

lol

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Old folks shouldn't be forced into 140 characters it's cruel

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

straight up brolic posted:

Jon Leuer narrowly beat out Porzingis for the most average player in the NBA this season.

.112ws48, 14.2 PER, 55% TS, .2 BPM for Leuer

Vs

.100, 17.4, 55% TS, .2 BPM for Zinger

he definitely plateaued this year (kinda comfortable saying Jokic is better going forward, he's not ever going to be a top 3 center with KAT, Davis and Jokic around), but I'm busy not believing in this as hard as I've not believed in anything since I laughed at LeBron Back To Cleveland rumors and refused to post in the rumor thread

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
it's been 50/50 for a while but I think the Nets have a better future than the Knicks. Nets seem to have competent people in the building right now. I think I'll wear my Porzingis jersey today

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Then again part of what makes Jokic look so good is a good coach who presents him a ton of opportunity to show off his skills. The Harris/Jokic mind-meld is awesome and I have 0 idea what Kristaps would look like in a good system.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
you can''t taunt me with this i have always been first and foremost a 3-Headed Monsters fan i probably only rooted fort he knicks for like a week or two

let's go monsters clap clap clapclapclap

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

It's less a taunt and me hoping that Danny Ainge does something cool soon

you mean like this kinda cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDiwmqRWZBU&t=107s
or like this kinda cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-23r2TLNA0

crazy 2 me that your all-time favorite player was Danny Ainge on the Phoenix Suns and you started rooting for Boston just to support his GM career. Wild!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

I've made it clear that the Suns are my "other" team so you've finally figured me out. Ugh.

1) Maine Red Claws
2) University Of Phoenix Feral Cats
3a) Boston Seltics
3b) Phoenix Suns
4) Denver Nuggets
0) wheresoever Danny Ainge might go so CBM will follow

For many a New England year you only pretended to enjoy the local squads, all the while a thirst for the dry southwest heat lurked inside you like one of the many Stephen King monstrosities which haunt the region. You have an elaborate mythos and it leaves the new posters baffled

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

That's... not terrible?

Brolander posted:

those are some loving elite tier 90s nba vids. i was like HOW was that ainge shot not #1?? Then I see chris "mother fuckin" jackson hit a gamewinner

and the beautiful bean footage with the Diceman clip at the end? Steam me up and serve me hot!! you cant tell me that multi sport thrower didnt do that poo poo with pounds of purpose

Yah the Ainge one I think was a quarter-ender. I have some memory of an Ainge 3/4 court baseball throw that went in but I might be imagining it since I don't see the clip anywhere and I found that instead. The Jackson/Abdul-Rauf shot was a game-winner and Phil was right that guy's shooting was the proto-Steph

glowing-fish posted:

Strangely enough, basketball is copying politics, where New York City, supposedly the world's most cosmopolitan and modern city, is the source of the world's greatest regressiveness and parochialism.

ahhh yes the Brand New Phenomenon of NYC producing world-champion rear end in a top hat politicians and utterly lovely rich dudes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_Tweed

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
wow sinful. Thou shalt not covet my lakers pick

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I know Luke Ridnour retired last year but I still think the teams should trade him a few more times for the hell of it

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Bad news for the world of Shook, Prodigy of Mobb Deep passed away at age 42 from complications due to sickle cell anemia :[

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I don't watch the nets either but just one guy's rebounding numbers don't mean much. The lakers could just let randle handle the board no?

Lopez is very strong and good at boxing out, but he's altogether not great and overpaid. His brother is a better deal and a better defender.. Randle is possibly one of the best rebounding men in the league so maybe it could work. Makes sense for either side but I like the Nets side better.

Wait Nets received the pick, right?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I dunno I might differentiate between "a 33 year old" and "a 33 year old LeBron James"

we already know DLo's a snitch what worse things could they possibly say

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I mean the NOW THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN Lakers actually did get a pretty crazy roster together, it was just everything else that didn't work

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Charlz Guybon posted:

Wilbon speculating on PTI that Gilbert is going to trade LeBron for pics so that he doesn't get left with nothing when he leaves next year! :psyduck:

... pics of wat

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

RaySmuckles posted:

bummer to see kawhi cut his braids

they were iconic in the modern nba and personally i thought he wore them pretty well

he realized they take several hours of work that could be better spent on basketball related activities. It's a tough change but we all knew it'd come whenever he decided to grow up and get serious about his career

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

FizFashizzle posted:

hey guys i checked carolinahuddle and

eh it's an entire team full of legitimate bench players, technically correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
as a person who considers Tyson Chandler my favorite player, maybe ever, and thinks he should probably start coaching immediately as soon as he retires and also thinks he's exactly who you want in your lockerroom especially if you're developing young defensive bigs,

no loving poo poo, of course DJ is worth way more than Chandler and a pick. That can't possibly have been a full consideration, that would make no sense whatsoever

• Locked thread