Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

EvanTH posted:

4 best postseasons of all time by WS/48
1) michael jordan
2) birdman
3) michael jordan
4) javale mcgee
http://www.basketball-reference.com...er_by=ws_per_48

Do you put a games limit on this but not a minutes limit on this just to Leave out Kawhi?!?!

Dude seriously put up one of the best playoff runs in NBA history and I don't think anyone is going to remember by next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

EvanTH posted:

It was for 16 games for 16-0 meme reasons, which wasn't a great idea in retrospect because I forgot that there used to fewer games until relatively recently.

Going by minute does look more like the list of GOATs, just for you:
http://www.basketball-reference.com...er_by=ws_per_48
1) LeBron age 24
2) Mikan
3) Jordan
4) Kareem
5) Wilt
6) Frank Ramsey
7) Kawhi

You're an honorable man.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Am I the only one that enjoys that the best team is by far the most likely to win unless they have their superstar injured in which case the second best team is by far the most likely to win?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Lebron going to the Clippers makes me think the Spurs might not get Chris Paul after all.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

The Knicks seem like a dumb enough team to ask for Kawhi in a trade. I don't think Kristaps moves, their price seems too high.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I would feel really bad if they traded Danny Green. He's one of the best defensive twos in the league and I'm pretty sure he'll shoot three pointers well eventually.

I would also feel bad if they traded Aldridge. It seems really lovely to do to him.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

So does anyone have any idea what the rumored medical issues are with Porzingis?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

What the gently caress do the Cavs even have? Aren't their only tradeable assets Love and Kyrie? I like Danny and all, and he's definitely better than those two, but I don't think you can convince cleveland of it.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Derrick Rose made actual real concrete improvement in his play at the end of last season.

He could be useful if that's real. I have my doubts though.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Wasn't LMA playing with an injured hip a lot of this year or did I misread that somewhere?

He had a knee thing in the playoffs.

He reinjured his hip against OKC in game 3 the year before. I'm of the opinion that his hip is not injured but not quite right if you know what I mean. Then again maybe it's not that and he was just too lazy and that's why he's fat.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Apparently Houston is calling around looking for teams with cap space so they can dump Ryan Anderson. They appear to be pretty confident in their CP3 chase.

Why would Chris Paul go to Houston though? I don't think that's his best destination at all.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

morestuff posted:

I think people are reading this as him trying to force LA to give him the full $200 million deal, which makes sense

Is there any way they weren't offering him a full deal?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Chris Paul sucks.

The Clippers get way worse but I don't think the Rockets get much better.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

General Dog posted:

I like Chris Paul, but I can't help but feel like the Spurs dodged a bullet here. The team needs to make some moves, but going all in on him at this juncture seemed like a strange move.

Depending on the rest of the roster I think he would put the Spurs just shy of the Warriors. A little luck and they could easily win a championship.

I can't tell if I'm delusional or not but the Spurs seem like a better fit by a million miles. The Rockets already have a point guard that is arguably better than Paul himself.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

i'd like the spurs to sign another all-star please

I think they're going to sign a former MVP :(

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Kawhi's defensive numbers looked bad this season in part because teams shot well from 3 when he was in the game and they shot unreasonably poorly from 3 when he was sitting. It affected his stats pretty heavily iirc.

Chris Paul is currently second in NBA history in WS/48. How are people still sleeping on him?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

It hasn't sunk in yet that Paul actually got traded to the Rockets.

I wonder if Kawhi being a quiet/reserved guy affects his ability to influence free agents, it has to right?

I really do not want Aldridge back this year. I don't know exactly what the Spurs can get for him but as good as he was and as much as I liked him I don't want his mopey rear end anymore.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

David Bertans is going to drop like 40 a game in summer league, I'm really excited.

Why do I get the feeling the Spurs are going to have a disgruntled Aldridge all year next year?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Cool, the Spurs aren't going to do jack poo poo in free agency.

I like Simmons well enough but I don't think he's better than Kyle Anderson. They are really dead set on not making any moves to improve the team it seems.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I was wrong, apparently they're looking to get worse.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

the nba sucks

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

rjmccall posted:

All the stuff about Bird vs. Early Bird vs. Non-Bird just limits how much you can offer them (in both annual money and years). You can always re-sign your existing players for at least a modest increase over what they're currently being paid; they just might not be willing to come back for that.

For example, Patrick McCaw has only been with the Warriors for one year, so if he were a free agent, we would only be able to offer him up to 120% of the greater of the league minimum and his current salary. If he were a free agent next year, after he has been here two whole years, we would be able to offer him up to the greater of the league average or 175% of his current salary. Two years from now — when he actually becomes a free agent — we can offer him a max.

Durant was on a near-max contract last year, so the distinctions are meaningless.

I guess this needs to be more thorough.

They could sign Durant for a non bird exception but that limits his raises. They're going to have Durant do one more year so they get bird rights and they can give him bigger raises.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 2, 2017

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

It looks like the Spurs not only might not get any new pieces in free agency but might keep their second star that is incredibly unhappy playing with the franchise.

I think this off season is even worse than that one where everyone said there was no way Richard Jefferson was going to opt out and then he opts out and then the Spurs just sign him for longer.

I guess Pau is a repeat of that one, except Pau was actually good until the end of the year.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

attackmole posted:

Maaaan, the east is bad. Like, I know it's been Lebron's conference for the last 8 years, but for the last two years the bottom end climbed out of the slums and it wasn't quite as embarrassing as the 8 seed Jennings/Ellis Bucks....but now we're right back there, aren't we. Goddamn. I wonder if we can have the 6-8 seeds all make playoffs with losing records. That would be great.

6th seed? The third seed is going to have trouble getting a winning record!

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Lockback posted:

Yeah, I don't know why people think Boston will be worse, but they are still a 55 win team. Cleveland will still Cleve and Washington will probably be a little better with an extra year and a slightly easier schedule. Toronto is still a good team, and Milwaukee will be above .500, but after that it gets rough. If embiid is healthy I think Philly has and inside track to the playoffs.

Boston had 48 expected wins last year, if they didn't improve you'd expect them to win 48 again.

Toronto was the only team in the east that had over 50 pythagorean wins. The East was a gigantic dumpster fire last year and the top teams didn't get better but the middle fell out.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

The Warriors got better and that's definitely not what I thought would be happening.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Adam Hanga is staying in Europe.

I don't know what the Spurs are doing at all.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

The Spurs signed a useless center so what's happening with Pau? I don't know where their cap is but it seems like it should be running out now right? Are they going to be shedding Aldridge somehow? So many questions. The only thing I know for sure is that Kawhi is the best player in the league and going to carry this garbage rear end team to 55 wins by himself.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I'm still really mad about that Rudy Gay signing. I understand there's a chance he's not going to be bad but it's not a big one.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Lockback posted:

It was a naked, blatant tank though.

It actually wasn't though.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

EvanTH posted:

Hey if Bashez is out there, can you solve a dispute between Metapod and me?

Is Kawhi Leonard better than Kevin Durant? I say yes. Metapod seems not to understand the question otherwise he'd agree, yes.

It's pretty much a wash. Durant is a better passer but Kawhi is a better defender. I think the people that say Durant is a straight up better offensive player are pretty much wrong at this point, outside the aforementioned passing. The Spurs are a dysfunctional offense when Kawhi sits. Kawhi's three years younger, he'll be better when he's 28.

Metapod posted:

Head to head is very bad way to compare players but if you insist http://www.basketball-reference.com...a01&idx=players

Durant only 1 time scored less than 20 vs kawhi and out plays him nearly every time

If you just look at the last couple years though....

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

They are never going to get the games down to 2 hours with 12 minute quarters.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Man, I hate the Gay signing.

I hate it and I forget he tore his achilles.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Whoa, people actually believe that Durant thing wasn't scripted.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

I don't think he's that much better on defense. Klay is quietly one of the best perimeter defenders in the league

Klay is one of the most overrated defenders in the league. I don't know where you get quietly from because Warriors fans are constantly screaming that he's the best perimeter defender in the league.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

He has to tell you or the bust won't hold up in court, right?

You have to ask twice in two different ways.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Worst NBA rap is Tony Parker, hope this helps

This is so wrong.

It's Dejuan Blair by a mile.

I can't seem to find that first song oh so long ago. His newer stuff is significantly improved and still garbage.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Libertine posted:

Probably because Derrick Rose isn't worth an NBA minimum contract being a huge net negative on the floor for every season going back like five years to the last time he was healthy.

Like I hope he somehow revitalizes his career playing fun basketball with Cleveland and they just cover all his glaring weaknesses but I don't know.

As much as I hate to admit it because I love making GBS threads on Derrick Rose he got better toward the end of the year. Obviously it's a small sample size but he's easily playable in a backup position if he could maintain that productivity.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Dexo posted:

dear god if Irving and Melo stay on their respective teams

I loving love the NBA.

Aldridge too.

Also those Christmas games look horrible to me. On paper none of those look like particularly good matchups except Thunder and Rockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

The Spurs all time team is weird.

First, Hakeem is higher than Robinson which is a joke. It still confounds me that Robinson doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Rodman is hilarious. He's an 89 in Detroit, 84 in San Antonio, and 93 in Chicago. I guess that means we can add at least 5 point to every Spurs player for an anti Spurs bias.

• Locked thread