Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Kyle Lowry is a guy who had good FT shooting and eventually built a jumper out of it.

I thought I could recall one or two oddball role players who were decent-to-good three point shooters and 60-70% free throw guys but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

nachos posted:

How do you even get a toe like that, what the hell

I kinda get that players toes are hosed up because of all the mileage/growing up with lovely fitting shoes and so on, but how'd his toenail get so messed up? Was he reenacting some old school Looney Tunes and dropped an anvil on it?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Maybe a 200-300 pound man stomped or j umped on his foot dozens of times a year for ten years

perhaps that's why the other toe is on top of it, to protect it from further damage

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I guess hopefully K won't miss much time and it won't be a reaccuring thing tho. no timetable but PATFO did seem optimistic about him not missing much time.

Abbreviating Kawhi as K makes me think of Franz Kafka, I hope Kawhi Leonard isn't also engaged in a futile quest against hostile and alienating forces

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

See this is why you just call people you don't like a clown publicly and then move on

I didn't see the text at first and thought Russell Westbrook was just supporting a good cause

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Spacebump posted:

What kind of stats are people expecting Melo to put up this season? I'm guessing somewhere around 18-20 ppg, 6 boards, and 3 assists. While I may not think he will be amazing this season, I do think he will be a good 3rd option for this team.

Another good question is who is better the Rockets or the Thunder? The Thunder may have added Paul George and Melo (plus lost Kanter), but the Rockets adding Chris Paul is a bigger deal. Chris Paul is much better then either George or Melo. It's hard to decide which of these teams should be better but I would guess the Rockets.
Also, if Ryan Anderson has a comeback year it will be at least 50% due to Chris Paul's presence.

Look at players 6-10 on those rosters.

The Melo trade was good for the Thunder and I think he'll probably rebound somewhat. I'm more interested in seeing whether they can keep Paul George after this year. He's about the same age as Westbrook and you can count on Presti to restock the cupboard with good drafting after this year.

I think people have sort of underrated Anderson because of all the talk about them having to pay to get rid of his contract. It's not a good contract but the spacing he provides was pretty important to their offense (perhaps less so now that they can cover all 48 minutes with high-quality point guardery, he may lose some minutes to PJ Tucker, Nene if he's healthy, etc).

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

If the basketball thing doesn't pan out they also have a strong investment in the future of night tennis

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Wouldn't it be smarter to just wait and match any offers next offseason? I guess I don't understand the rush to wrap him up.

Depending on the details of the guarantees they've built in, I think it makes sense to do that rather than allowing the Knicks/Nets/Suns/god knows who offer him a fully guaranteed contract

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

morestuff posted:

Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Tyson Chandler too, although looking at his early years he played a lot more games aside from the '04 season than I thought he did. But there was always something wrong with his back or foot.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

This is going to be a breakout season for Clint Capela or as I often call him Swiss Hakeem

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

dokmo posted:

He's actually the Swiss Brandan Wright.

He has a half decent hook shot but yeah that's probably a fair statement

e: actually Brandan Wright was a shittier rebounder than I remember

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

tatankatonk posted:

How uncommon are NBA contracts with unguaranteed money? Feels like the last time it was mentioned was Hinkie trying to screw KJ McDaniels over

It's definitely not as common as like the NFL but you often see contracts with nonguaranteed money instead of a team option at the end because that's more flexible in terms of deadlines for guaranteeing it, and sometimes it's tied to things like all-star/all-nba/all-whatever appearances, things like that. Harden's first contract extension actually wasn't guaranteed on the fifth year until he made the all-star game twice or something.

That said this is the first time I remember it being used to hedge a massive contract against potential injury issues

chunkles fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 10, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

BWV posted:

By next week they'll all have Blue Apron/MeUndies crests.

Hi I'm Jeremy Lin and when I get in trouble for my hair on instagram, I use dollar shave club

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

did you guys know that james harden moonlights as a country musician

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBt2fwy0lZE&t=853s

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

misdirectomy posted:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/st...arcuterie-board

In which we learn about the fun backstory of the birth of the Warriors offensive scheme and also doxx the Kevman

Kevman did you just blurt out Will you implement the triangle offense? Or did you lead into it a little. I respect either choice.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Some good posting today, I can tell who really put on 20lbs of posting muscle this offseason.

I feel like Royce White is a big fat disappointment, I'd have to dig deeper to figure out who is actually the most disappointing but I read some interview with him like a year ago where he's still blaming everyone else for his unwillingness to play basketball. Actually that whole crop of Rockets rookies (Motiejunas, Parsons, Jones) was ill-fated for various reasons.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

where will i get my "sky is falling" posts from now?

*best Bashez voice* Spurs will only win 60 games this year

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

kick balls punch balls, it's all in the mind

Known basketball commentator and twitter rager Zach Lowe predicted LeBron will leave the Cavaliers :2bong:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

woj coming in to clean up after the shambomb

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/918960203038588928

I like how it says "European" draft rights and doesn't specify who

"Well what do you want back?"
"Some Europeans would get it done I guess"

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

they're sending two second round picks and atlanta is going to waive both of them per woj lol

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

AggressivelyStupid posted:

burn atlanta to the GROUND

it was already tried but they built it again.

very thibodeauesque playing three 6'10+ guys

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Lockback posted:

? Thibs likes playing 2 traditional bigs, but for SF he just kept playing Deng forever then Butler and Dunleavy. I don't think he ever played Gibson/Noah/Gasol for any length of time or anything.

I swear on my life there were some Gibson-at-SF lineups but maybe that was just a game or two

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

i don't see them falling as far as 8th

edit: someone had a seriously downvoted post on reddit that said "kawhi's not playing until december." i'm starting to think that's going to be true

pop taking the rest thing to a whole new level, kawhi doesn't come off the ice until the WCF at the earliest

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I'm pretty sure it was the draft strategy of several teams in those heady post-Ginobili years

Rockets cut Tim Quarterman, Isaiah Taylor, Chris Johnson, George de Paula today.

e: and signed DANUEL HOUSE

chunkles fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 14, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

As much of a goober as Perk was as a player when I read about him being on OKC and taking hours-long phone calls with guys I can see the benefit of having a dude like that around on the roster.

Also I didn't realize that James Posey is an assistant for the Cavs

quote:

STEVEN ADAMS, THUNDER CENTER: He did give me some advice, but it seems a bit brutish: “Go out and make sure you hit this guy.”

And the rest is history THE END

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rudy Gay looked pretty good tonight for coming off an Achilles tear

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

His defense was already kinda circling the drain before the injury, but he's shot well at various points in his career and the Spurs this year will probably be the best offensively coached/spaced team he's ever been on. Probably the ideal situation for him if he can indeed come back from the injury

I was looking through his stats now and had a traumatic flashback to the time I saw him and DeRozan play in person in a 2OT

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Joel Embiid on a single-man quest to make the eastern conference watchable TV by bringing back trash talk.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It would be if one ignored how Whiteside's first few years in the league went.

it was a pretty good comeback

there's only one way to settle this, through the ancient ritualized combat sport known as basquetbol

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I'm late to strongest player convo but Dwight can probably bench 500 and likely can't make free throws because of the resultant shoulder mobility and fine motor control issues from doing nothing but 80s Arnold bodybuilding routines for his entire life

You guys nba tipoff is on loving TUESDAY and I am so excited

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

beasley is on my short list to rattle off a couple of good games, get traded and derail some playoff team

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

drat i really miss that rasquid wallace avatar i dont have the image saved anywhere though

i never knew that was supposed to be rasheed wallace

e: Rockets cut Cameron Oliver and Danuel House today. end of an era etc

chunkles fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 16, 2017

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

bandwagon the rockets, take a bold stand in favor of the following principles: gently caress defense, and game the rules. they're not even the best team, so you can bandwagon them safely.

Hawks signed Isaiah Taylor today. Rockets didn't extend Capela, though I didn't really expect them to.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

There is a special joy in knowing what the 14th man on your roster is good and bad at

There are several games most nights, so as long as you have league pass/illegal pirate streams handy you can just gravitate towards what is interesting. Which is also why posting in GDTs helps because otherwise you're never going to know when some Bucks Kings game goes into 3OT.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Being in Denver owns as a basketball fan because their fanbase isn't the best and you can get tickets for super cheap. Plus all the city is swimming in generational talent.

Oh yeah that's easily the best part of your local team being mediocre. It'd probably be even better if you weren't a Nuggets fan, you can see a lot of high-end teams play for cheap and enjoy it whether it turns out competitive or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Looking thru these lists I feel like Rockets are clearly superior to the Thunder and the Spurs are flawed and should be pretty beatable if Kawhi is out for a serious length of time, but logic has never worked against them so Warriors-Spurs-Rockets-Thunder would be my high seed teams, followed by uh I guess Clippers, Wolves, Jazz and finally my annual wrong prediction of the Pelicans being good. I'm not even gonna touch the Eastern Conference.

Also in-and-out is fine but it didn't really blow my mind, maybe it's just because I mostly gave up on fast food burgers a long time ago and so I'm pretty spoiled.

• Locked thread