Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Didn't Iguodala do it too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

RaySmuckles posted:

thanks? :shrug:

i was just lucky that as a kid that i picked david robinson as my favorite player and then the spurs got duncan like 5 years later.

anyway, if anyone wanted to see a picture that perfectly encapsulates why everyone in the world should hate the warriors now here you go:

gently caress the warriors

Buddy got up. :unsmith:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

They should go to Labour HQ and meet with Jezza

This would rule so hard.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I kind of hope whatever the Celtics do they leave the door open for the possibility of landing Durant next offseason assuming he does a 1yr extension this year. This is probably dumb but I don't care.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

:golfclap:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Can you add protections to another team's pick? Can a pick get multiple layers of protections if it's traded multiple times?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm just going to pretend the Celtics got the 3rd pick in the lottery like I assumed they would.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

pubic works project posted:

Hahahahahaha they keep on loving the Pacers' front office over. It's hilarious.

From a purely cynical perspective, it makes total sense for him to do that. This way if he gets traded his new team will have to give up less and be in better shape. There is definitely some moral hazard with regard to player incentives in potential trades.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Jesus Christ...

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Thinking about what porzingas could do in a real system is making me :allears:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

boxcarhobo posted:

Am i severely underestimating lavine/Dunn or is this as really lopsided for the wolves as I think it is

Levine is solid but this is really good for the wolves

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

gently caress it, let's do this

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

I don't know what this means.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

That might be worse than 50cent's throw

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cool Buff Man posted:

https://twitter.com/EvanFourmizz/status/879430289260498944
https://twitter.com/DevinBook/status/879414878540189697

My boys... you've grown up to be such smart men...

People who don't understand Avery Bradley can get lost

:unsmith:

That's pretty cool.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

That seems entirely reasonable. I hope its zeller and not bradley.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

Paul george rental getting more than Jimmy Butler under contract for 2 years making less than 20 mill.

And I bet they won't have to pick swap!!!

It's not a rental; the tweet specifies a 3yr extension.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/paul-george-reportedly-already-recruiting-185442023.html

https://twitter.com/957thegame/status/879721276742316032

As an aside, is there a way to easily copy tweet url's without getting the reference text appended to the end?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Looks like a slightly ethnic Lil Dicky. Hope he just got a tan and is making big plays.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Bradley makes lots of good plays but I see him do dumb poo poo like body up a guy outside the perimeter when they are in the penalty and give up 2 automatic free-throws.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Sign and trades typically result in returns well below what the player is worth. LeBron's example obviously comes to mind and Millsap likely will too.

So why is PG commanding such a large return? Is it just because he has 1 year left on his deal even though he's all but confirmed he's gone?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

tanglewood1420 posted:

Has anybody said anything recently about how the NBA is the best league?

I wonder how many dicks he's seen already.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is Bogdan Bogdanovic the slavic equivalent of Erick Erickson?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

pubic works project posted:

gently caress you Ainge.

If he's correct and no extension would be in place I'm glad he's not offering Brown, Tatum, or the Brooklyn pick.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is there any word on IT's hip injury that sidelined him at the end of the playoff run? I'd really like to worry less that his quickness will be robbed which would probably turn him into a net-negative player.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Boston Bruins goaltender didn't visit because :kingsley: Obama :kingsley:

He more than didn't visit. He basically retired to a compound somewhere off the grid.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

EvanTH posted:

Calipari is a great pickup for when we need to secretly give our players money, not sure what else he brings tho

I mean, that would be a pretty sweet ability in the NBA too. Remember when the nets got AK47 for a mysteriously low contract?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

WhyteRyce posted:

Is Chris Paul Robert E Lee in this analogy? Or Jefferson Davis

He's simultaneously Jack Ruby, Apartheid government, John Wilkes Booth, James Earl Ray, CTE, the British Raj, Trump, and I guess Oppenheimer

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Spoeank posted:

younger than serge ibaka wow

And taller than Charles Barkley.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

If 32 year old Paul Milsap can command multiple 20+ million annual deals, Iggy should easily be able to do the same

Uhhhh not sure I follow.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Who was the guy that said Iggy was totally gonna get 20M+ AAV?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DeimosRising posted:

I think that was the expectation. I remember seeing it lots of places and from multiple people here. I was certainly expecting more than 16 and I'm not convinced he didn't give them a bit of a sweetheart deal like Livingston. PJ Tucker is getting 1 mil less per year than Livingston and more years.

Yeah sorry if that was confrontational. I just didn't feel like Iggy would command anywhere near Millsap.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Metapod posted:

I'm extremely excited for Rudy Gay to sign with okc https://twitter.com/JShawNBA/status/881381231686033408

Wait how could Golden State possibly be in on Rudy Gay unless Durant is out?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

"Apple. Coca-Cola. Vinnie Chase."

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

EvanTH posted:

It's gonna be the Nets book it

So far it looks like they got worse. Other teams got worse too but I don't see how they aren't in the bottom 4 or 5.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The current crop of Celtics plus PG or Haywood don't beat LeBrontron or the Warriors anytime soon. In retrospect, Ainge's plan is to use all the Nets assets and Process his way to 2020 with the added luxury of a 50 win team to avoid the flak the Sixers got.

I still have no idea why he wanted Tatum tho

This. Plus by both competing and building they hope to remain an attractive spot for a big FA signing when the time is right. The rich man's version of The Process.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

The B_36 posted:

I really, desperately, DO NOT want to wade into the Labour vs Capital debate and be faced with having to read 1100 pages of the Communist Manifesto, but why would this whole KD taking a paycut thing concern the Players Union at all? There are obviously real issues about labour vs capital in the modern world, but this contract seems to have absolutely nothing to do with it. As a whole, the players get 50% of league revenue, that number doesn't change at all if Durant signs for $500 million or if he signs for twenty bucks. This isn't labour giving the owners money - the players as a whole get the same, the owners get the same. I can see the top tier players getting a little annoyed that he's set a precedent that it's somewhat expected that you take a paycut to keep a good team together and win a championship, but again, that has nothing to do with the labour/capital divide, that's an issue between different groups of labourers. Him taking less money means that money goes to other players, not to the owners. He saved his team's owner some money, but that luxury tax money isn't going to the players, it goes to the owner's of teams who aren't spending as much money on their teams at the moment. I would think if you're anti-capital, you would like it if a bunch of owners weren't getting as much free money from another owner, or at least you wouldn't care (since you don't care how much tax Joe Lacob has to pay for his championship team, you shouldn't care how much tax money the Sixers owner receives).

This deal has nothing to do with labour vs capital, but from a competitive standpoint, it's still easy to see it as a weak move, so feel free to criticize him for that. In a regular job, taking less money to stay in a job and situation you like is usually a wise decision that people applaud you for, but sports are an inherently competitive industry for the labourers (the labourers compete directly against each other in an effort to win, whereas in my job I couldn't really care less if Honda out-competes Toyota or vice versa, as long as I get my paycheque) so it's a bit different. You're expected as an athlete to always be competing hard and helping your team win. It's weird tho, that KD made a decision that still resulted in him being on the best team, but I (and most non-Dubs fans) still think he's a bitch for it.

Sports are stupid sometimes.

This is the main issue and yes it absolutely is related to capital vs labor. It also isn't isolated to top tier players and frankly isn't even limited to professional sports. The idea that asking for a raise hurts your team gets ingrained in office settings as well. My wife works for a university and they structure raises in a fixed pool and make the information public such that the employees are guilted into not pursuing raises.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
So could Crowder, Zeller, and some amount of picks get decent big to shore up this line up? I'm not even sure who's on the block right now.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

ainge, put together a package. Make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

BWV posted:

everyone who goes to a Boston game (not cool Buff Man) is either obnoxious or racist. watch an NBA tv stream during a commercial and see for yourself

It's just the red Panda, dudes dunking off inclined trampolines, and kiss cams.

• Locked thread