Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Problem description: My wireless mouse started cutting out while I was using it. It stops moving across the screen or registering button inputs seemingly at random. Sometimes it seems like its position relative to the tower affects the signal quality, so that keeping it in the "sweet spot" avoids problems, but it's difficult to be sure. No other piece of hardware seems affected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjGTzuV1n-U

I'm moving the mouse continuously in this video, as you can see it hitches at several points and sometimes stops moving entirely for a significant amount of time.

Attempted fixes: I just thought the left mouse button had gotten worn and I needed a new mouse. So I bought a new mouse, specifically a Microsoft 43U-00002 Sculpt Mobile Mouse. The problems only got worse. I seemed to lose the signal at random while moving the mouse across the screen, and some button presses would also not register. I initially believed my old and busted mousepad might be too reflective in some places for the new mouse's laser, so I bought a new matte black mousepad. The problems persisted. I tried unplugging the USB receiver and plugging it back in, switching the port the receiver is plugged in, googling for similar issues or possible fixes, checked to see if any running processes or viruses might be interfering with my mouse reception.

Recent changes: None. It's possible I downloaded a virus somewhere while searching for rips of old vhs films, but that's it.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 professional 64-bits.

System specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: GeIL EVO Leggara Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Google did not help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Yurkinov
Jan 13, 2010
Stupid question but it has new/charged batteries, correct?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Move the wireless receiver to somewhere in line-of-sight of the mouse, like with a USB extension cord. It's also probably running in 2.4Ghz so other devices like Bluetooth and 2.4Ghz WiFi will likely interfere.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ivan Yurkinov posted:

Stupid question but it has new/charged batteries, correct?

Yes.

Alereon posted:

Move the wireless receiver to somewhere in line-of-sight of the mouse, like with a USB extension cord. It's also probably running in 2.4Ghz so other devices like Bluetooth and 2.4Ghz WiFi will likely interfere.

I'll try this and report back.

• Locked thread