Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
I'm so confused. I can't tell the brilliant brain-bending cryptic ambiguities apart from the weirdly-translated bits, although in the right circumstances even those help the mood. Plus, I'm surprised he can hear anything after firing off so many bullets in enclosed tunnels for several days.

Hey, maybe the train conductor only thinks he gets his health fully restored at the end of each stop, and he's actually slowly bleeding out from a couple of nasty bites while concussed from a half-dozen nearby explosions (some self-inflicted) and shadow-beatings. It would explain a few things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Thanks for this, Bacter. It's been a weird, beautiful, darkly meditative experience. The subtitled LP is definitely the best way to experience it (possibly even above playing the game yourself), letting the game create the soundscape it wants us to experience, and there's clearly a lot of merit to it, even if I can also understand why a lot of people would bounce right off. The translation is janky, the game itself gets in the way of the player trying to understand it, and even if you do follow along then it cuts right under your budding power fantasy.

I'd interpret the message of the game, if indeed there is a single thing to take away (there's definitely not just one), by suggesting that the regular characters were all totally screwed right from the start, because the people they gave unquestioned authority to did not have their best interests at heart and it's so difficult to topple unscrupulous people from that podium of blind faith. One good person with the right opportunity - one idol of the people to topple the previous idols of the people, if you will - just isn't enough to change the world, no matter how hard he might try. It has to be a greater, communal effort to understand the messy, difficult realities of the world and work to overcome them - if you ever collectively give that up to a few powerful men then the worst parts of history will repeat themselves.

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it, and the game's ultimate moral is not to leave your shelter in the middle of an apocalypse. Maybe we could've become that one paranoid guy stocking up guns and ammo in his bunk locker, waiting for things to go bad.

• Locked thread