Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

Aw yeah, great idea!

Bacter, why are we on this train?
This, friends, is the Let's Play The Final Station Train! We're here because I wish it, and because you've willingly entered THE BACTER ZONE!

Alright, what's The Final Station?
The final station is a dreamlike game about driving a train, the world falling apart, and you trying to do your job and save some of it.

Dreamlike, huh? This another one of those games with a Mystery Plot?
Oh the plot's straightforward enough. But the game is more about how you react to it, and how you feel. You'll see when we get there.

Pretty cagey.
Well, it's a game better experienced than dissected, at least beforehand. I'll have lots more to say as we go.

Viewer interaction?
Not for the first part. There will be when we hit the DLC.

That's it for now, enjoy!

:siren: NO SPOILERS YOU FILTHY ANIMALS! IF WE HAVEN'T SEEN IT DON'T DISCUSS IT :siren:

GirlCalledBob posted:

Can we get a little info on what you have to do during the train journeys? Looks like you have to keep an eye on a couple of things, maybe, but it's kind of hard to follow when there's no explanation at all. I get that you want to keep the atmosphere going, but a short rundown of the mechanics would be neat.

Right on. There are basically three things to do in the train:

Red = minigame
Blue = passengers
Yellow = terminal

MINIGAMES
Every time you take a train ride, there will be exactly one minigame active. You can tell which one, because sparks are coming out of it. They are all super simple (except one later that I had a hard time with. It's really simple, but I had no idea how to interact with it until I broke the train). Basically the goal of every minigame is to make the number go to 0. The number indicates how much additional power the train is using, and depending on what you're carrying and the stage, you will have some number usually ~7-8 extra units of power. If the number goes above that, the train stops and you have to fix it before you start moving again. It makes the train ride longer, which in turn demands more resources to keep your passengers alive. Bad news!

The left-most mini game is just "make sure you pull this lever every so often". Other ones make you look for one mismatches between several displays, and press buttons to correct them. In the beginning, I REALLY thought they were going to start having multiple parts broken as you progressed, upping the frantic challenge, but no, it's only ever one broken per trip. I wonder if that was the original plan? Ah well.

PASSENGERS

Passengers talk to each other, and if you're close enough (and not distracted with mini-games) you can hear them talk. That's not necessary, but it's nice for world-building. Every passenger has hunger and health. Every passenger's hunger continually drains (except for a short break after they're fed). When hunger is at 0, their health starts to drain. When health is at 0, they instantly die and can't be revived. A passenger that's "wounded" will also get the "bleeding" effect. This means their health drains regardless of hunger. They'll need to be given food like regular AND medkits to temporarily stop the bleeding.

Passengers need food to replenish hunger and medkits if they get unhealthy enough. Each are in VERY limited supply. You get a bonus for getting passengers through a level (their fare), and you drop all passengers at every level end. That means you can roll into the end of the level with very sick and hungry passengers and it's fine, but if you misjudge and enter into a train section with an almost-dead passenger from last time, they can die before you get them a medkit.

TERMINAL

The terminal has the map (you never need to check it, but there's nice lore about the stations), a texting function (as far as I can tell, you can't ever initiate a conversation with another driver, though sometimes they will text you), the crafting station, where you can make medkits and bullets, and a power gauge, where you can see how close to overloading the train is. That's totally useless - just check the minigame on your own to make sure it doesn't overheat.

When you get to your destination, a lever pulls down and you yank on it to end that train section.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Bacter, why are we on this train?
This friends, is the Let's Play The Final Station Train! We're here because I wish it, and because you've willingly entered THE BACTER ZONE!

Alright, what's The Final Station?
The final station is a dreamlike game about driving a train, the world falling apart, and you trying to do your job and save some of it.

Dreamlike, huh? This another one of those games with a Mystery Plot?
Oh the plot's straightforward enough. But the game is more about how you react to it, and how you feel. You'll see when we get there.

Pretty cagey.
Well, it's a game better experienced than dissected, at least beforehand. I'll have lots more to say as we go.

Viewer interaction?
Not for the first part. There will be when we hit the DLC.

That's it for now, enjoy!

GirlCalledBob posted:

Can we get a little info on what you have to do during the train journeys? Looks like you have to keep an eye on a couple of things, maybe, but it's kind of hard to follow when there's no explanation at all. I get that you want to keep the atmosphere going, but a short rundown of the mechanics would be neat.

Red = minigame
Blue = passengers
Yellow = terminal

MINIGAMES
Every time you take a train ride, there will be exactly one minigame active. You can tell which one, because sparks are coming out of it. They are all super simple (except one later that I had a hard time with. It's really simple, but I had no idea how to interact with it until I broke the train). Basically the goal of every minigame is to make the number go to 0. The number indicates how much additional power the train is using, and depending on what you're carrying and the stage, you will have some number usually ~7-8 extra units of power. If the number goes above that, the train stops and you have to fix it before you start moving again. It makes the train ride longer, which in turn demands more resources to keep your passengers alive. Bad news!

The left-most mini game is just "make sure you pull this lever every so often". Other ones make you look for one mismatches between several displays, and press buttons to correct them. In the beginning, I REALLY thought they were going to start having multiple parts broken as you progressed, upping the frantic challenge, but no, it's only ever one broken per trip. I wonder if that was the original plan? Ah well.

PASSENGERS

Passengers talk to each other, and if you're close enough (and not distracted with mini-games) you can hear them talk. That's not necessary, but it's nice for world-building. Every passenger has hunger and health. Every passenger's hunger continually drains (except for a short break after they're fed). When hunger is at 0, their health starts to drain. When health is at 0, they instantly die and can't be revived. A passenger that's "wounded" will also get the "bleeding" effect. This means their health drains regardless of hunger. They'll need to be given food like regular AND medkits to temporarily stop the bleeding.

Passengers need food to replenish hunger and medkits if they get unhealthy enough. Each are in VERY limited supply. You get a bonus for getting passengers through a level (their fare), and you drop all passengers at every level end. That means you can roll into the end of the level with very sick and hungry passengers and it's fine, but if you misjudge and enter into a train section with an almost-dead passenger from last time, they can die before you get them a medkit.

TERMINAL

The terminal has the map (you never need to check it, but there's nice lore about the stations), a texting function (as far as I can tell, you can't ever initiate a conversation with another driver, though sometimes they will text you), the crafting station, where you can make medkits and bullets, and a power gauge, where you can see how close to overloading the train is. That's totally useless - just check the minigame on your own to make sure it doesn't overheat.

When you get to your destination, a lever pulls down and you yank on it to end that train section.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 16, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah? Can you talk about why not without spoilers? It's fine if the answer is like "it's too depressing", or "it's too vague", just not stuff like "oh man when you fall down the pit of despair or whatever that's the worst".

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

As of tonight, I will have no idea what you're talking about, because the first video will always have been flawless.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I want to avoid spoilers myself, but I do have a few criticisms about the main game (and one ENORMOUS criticism about the DLC. It's a very very solid DLC with one unbelievably bone-headed design decision).

Resource allocation and scarcity is a huge deal, but it's never really spelled out.

You saw at the kiosk you could buy or sell food. Nothing is stopping you from going "man, I might need some money down the line! Better sell this food!", and also, nothing is stopping you from feeding everybody as soon as they drop below 1/2 hunger, or even just feeding one guy four times in a row if you want.

Food is QUITE rare, and there is no means to make any. If you play your cards right, you will have a TINY bit more than exactly enough food to keep everybody going. Any mistakes and you're right at starvation level. Any MORE mistakes and it's rough times for your passengers.

Medkits are less rare, and are craftable, BUT any you use on yourself counts against your total. It's MUCH better to just die and re-load a checkpoint (and you get all your health back when you finish a level) than it is to use your precious medkits.

None of that is really communicated.

All passengers exit at the end of the chapter, but food and medkits carry over, so if you blow your supply early on, you'll never REALLY recover.

I actually think it works well narratively to have a big resource crunch scaring you, but it's sure not done fairly or, to be honest, in the most fun way possible.

I'm a compulsive packrat and a begrudging user of any resources, and that's the attitude you NEED to make it through this game.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

ALRIGHT, we got a few things to go over!

1) Update 2 I want one update per chapter. Unfortunately, that means the updates would be KINDA LONG, so I split this one up. Probably will happen in the future too I imagine? Anyway:

2) Bonus 1

I hadn't actually planned on this, but it was just so, so bizarre that I had to include it. I'd never seen what happened when one of my passengers died before, but I know now, and...

You just straight up run up to the dead guy, yank his pants off, and kick the body out of the cabin. It's just... it's SO BIZARRE!

3)

GirlCalledBob posted:

Red = minigame
Blue = passengers
Yellow = terminal

MINIGAMES

PASSENGERS

TERMINAL

4) Fixed the first video!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 16, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

I just started the second video, and had an awful sense of deja vu.

But it seems you've already noticed!

Part B is go: aka, "the one in which nothing goes wrong!"
(edit: something, of course, went wrong)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 16, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Jalak posted:

Trust me, you're going to feel the imminent threat of death hit you like a train later on.

Ba-dum, CSSSSHHHHHHH

(part 2B is for REAL for real working!)

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Depends on what you'd consider prohibitive! We need food desperately, and we've got an enormous pile of clothing and spoons to trade (as well as cash stolen from registers and closets), so we'll buy as much as we can.

Which doesn't mean it's not going to be expensive as BUTTS. Shopkeepers are...

more canny than humanitarian in a crisis. I'll say that.

I mean, a $50 hamburger is just the BEGINNING.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

An interesting theory, and one certainly not out of character from what we've seen so far!

I really enjoy how the tension is handled in this game. This next part is crucial to if you agree with me or not: see what you think, I'd love to hear impressions!

Incidentally, as concerns the panic and frustration of the train rides: I'm fully willing to admit this may be me making excuses for a game I like, but I actually think it all fits with the theme of the game. This is a huge catastrophe out of nowhere. There's barely time to think, we're racing against time, and managing everything SHOULD feel hectic. I'm getting more of the conversations than ever before, reading them while making these videos. I get the bare-bones glimpses of them while rushing around the train - just as the conductor would!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Incidentally, this

is the image I don't much care for.

Square jaw, muscly arms, stoic expression.

We're not Channing Tatum, we're some dork with a gun and a strong sense of responsibility!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I don't know of one! It's not on the wiki, and I don't immediately see where it would be stored in the game files. I'll do some more digging, especially because

Question On The FAQ posted:

I was wondering if it's possible to get different conversations by having different combinations of survivors (i.e. letting survivors die, or purposefully avoiding to pick up others so you get one or a pair of others alone and they'd interact with just each other without interjecting from the others). Also, if the conversations from these combinations provides different information, or if it's just a lesser subset of the major ones if you successfully maintain the maximum living survivors.

Dev Response posted:

Hey, the answer is yes, but less persons in the train less value it will have, most of the time.

Awesome. Most of the time.

Edit: I just want to register this. I've been using all Train terms for update names, and while I think some of them fit nicely (smokebox I'm especially fond of), update 3B really needs to be called "Tunnel Vision". It's a delightful pun, and I'm angry that my own neuroses won't let me use it.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 21, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm reasonably sure I saw a figure with a hunter's hat watching the train pass by earlier...

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Groovy - I caught a couple little spelling errors too. Probably get a fix out soonish!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Does this become cohesive once we understand more, or is it chain-of-unconnected-weirdness like Outside?

Depends on what you're looking for - we'll never get put into a room with a guy who knows everything and wants to explain everything, in detail, to us.

On the other hand, I believe I have a pretty good idea of what happened, what various things are/why they happened. Things that aren't delved into as deeply are generally less important, in my opinion. It's not as clear as a lot of people would like, but it's...

If anybody watched my LP of Lone Survivor (or played it themselves), it's about as clear in the end as that game was. I'm pretty confident I know what happened and why, but not all the details, and nobody spells it all out at once ever.

azren posted:

So, it's already been touched on, but I feel like my biggest problem with this game so far is the severe case of Silent Protagonism suffered by our guy here. It's one thing to have a silent protagonist like Link, where he gives what are presumably fairly generic responses, but when your character has some things it seems like he actually says, I feel like we're potentially missing out on a lot of info, as well as the fact that our guy here has actual characterization that we only get half of.

(Loving this LP, though)

Yeah, agreed. I don't actually know what we gain from not hearing ourselves.

If I wanted to find a reason, and I fully admit I'm straining to play devil's advocate here, I'd say it's because the team wanted to make SURE that we were experiencing our character through his actions only, as opposed to his talk. One theme in the game is duplicity - lots of people say one thing but have another intent. The military and the state keep people in the dark, Adam Thornton kind of looks like he's trying to help us, but is also hanging out with the conspiracy folks in the secret speakeasy. Some of our passengers are big talkers, but never actually do anything - they're just passively fed, cared for, and carted around. Opposing that, we are an active agent in the scene.

But on the other hand, the actions really aren't our OWN. We're following orders, and every change we get, we try to find out information about what's going on at home.

Well, that is to say, I do. Interestingly, the stuff about calling home is all optional, and it's just about the only optional stuff out there (besides exploring and talking to people, both activities that enrich OUR understanding of the universe, but don't directly serve the parties who have authority over us).

So here we are, at the classic high-school poetry or short story interpretation dilemma. Reading in to these mechanics is interesting, but how do we know it was intentional?

And my answer to that is the same as I was taught back then - sure, maybe not. Maybe it just happened that way, but if you realize that the actions and narrative works out a certain way, or shows off how life is or could be in some circumstances, and that's cool or interesting or moving to you? Just take it, and don't worry about if you're overthinking!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I really thought [the murderbot in the shed] was going to turn into an awful boss fight.

Ditto. I wonder if it was originally intended to be? I can tell that SOME features were likely cut from the game by looking at their website's art assets. That could be one?

Bacter fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 21, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Hey incidentally, I reached out to the devs, and they're down to answer any questions. So as we go along, if anything stands out as something about the inspiration, development decisions, influences, etc. that you'd like to know, free to note it for me and I'll pass it along with some questions of my own.

Also I mean you can ASK about plot stuff, but my guess is they'll be really cagey about it. That seems to be how these things go.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

You know, that IS a point. Maybe we'll learn some new information about things? And stuff?

So this next section is kind of the best of times / worst of times for me. It's got PROBABLY my favorite level in the game, sandwiched between some mediocre ones. The plot fares better - by this point, the motivations and revelations are swirling around like a big 'ol apocalyptic stew! The aforementioned "favorite level" is in part B (which is still Ripbotting - I'll have it up tomorrow mornin'), and I want to know if you like it too. They took a risk, and either it'll land for you or it won't!

I am starting to wonder how much each level might have an individual reference or theme - I'll have to do some thinking. I'm adding Silent Hill into my list of probable reference material, as well! I don't know 99 rooms though - something I'll look into! Anybody else who senses something, speak up!

Alright let's roll

(Note: there's yellow text in one bit. Nothing special, but there's a lot of white in the background, and the white text was super hard to read)

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

According to the train manual of operations, conductors are exempt from normal biological processes, and must turn in all injuries upon entering the train car.

Because the devs wanted to make it impossible to be profligate with resources, and impossible to beat the game after sinking a couple hours in

inflatablefish posted:

What do the flappy-tentacle-hugmonsters actually do, anyway? It didn't look as though you were hurt by the hug, do they just stop you from shooting or something?

And are you planning on picking Night in the Woods back up sometime? I was really enjoying it.

I, uh, actually don't know. I've always gone berzerk and meleed them off before anything could happen, and the wiki entry on enemies for The Final Station is, let's say, less than helpful. My guess is that after a short delay they start biting you? Further experiments necessary.

Absolutely - I'd intended to do it while this was ongoing, but work + quick updates to one LP is about all I can squeeze in! Only one main-game update to go!

Edit So, just a note about how deep the bunker is, assuming km isn't a typo: If this planet was roughly earth-sized, it would be somewhere kind of close to the mantle/core boundary. At this depth, the pressure would approach ~1.3 million ATM. So.... we've got PRETTY GOOD TECH!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 24, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

"ENEMIES: YES"

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I can take a look for sure. I was informed in uh, no uncertain terms, in the Japanese language thread that this game's Japanese lettering doesn't always make sense. Their Russian and Finnish is much better.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

OutofSight posted:

Umm.. odd personal request on my side, but could you give me a link to the thread? (Could use some additional study material)
Thank you.

Sure, Here it is

megane posted:

The big Japanese signs at the end in Metropole say "CENTRAL WOOL;" the kanji are pretty messily-drawn but my best guess is 毛糸 (keito) meaning wool or yarn.

The smaller sign says "minna" which means "everybody."

:iiam:

Woah, thanks! I'm guessing they went with words indicating universality or centrality to drive home that this is The City

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So it looks like the lettering on the statue, "Стругацкие A." is a reference to Arkady Strugatsky, or "Аркадий Стругацкий", one half of the Strugatsky Brothers, (very) famous (in Eastern Europe) science fiction writers.

Interestingly, it looks like a good number of their books include the idea that aliens are guiding people from earth to a higher plane of existence / way of living, as dictated in their "Noon universe" books. These books SOUND (at least from the descriptions) to be a good deal more optimistic about the process than The Final Station is - aliens are doing this basically in secret, for the explicit benefit of mankind.

It's also notable that (again, from the descriptions) the novels seem very pro-communist. We don't really know a whole lot about the structure and society of this world, except that I'd say 1) our country in particular is certainly not Communist, but 2) the common villain for communist works of art, the owner of the huge factory, is presented in a pretty complex way. He's maybe in on the conspiracy, but maybe isn't, and gave us the crystal that helps us resist? But has also maybe bargained himself to safety?

If this game is meant to be some commentary on Communism or capitalism, it's certainly not obvious to me! Unless somebody knows a particular work of the Strugatsky brothers that this game is referencing, I think it's probably more likely just a shout-out to a team of authors they respected.

EDIT: Uh, ok, so "Roadside Picnic", maybe their most famous short story? is a PRETTY clear inspiration, dealing as it does with aliens who come to earth in what's called "The Visitation", and leave behind a bunch of weird artifacts that people explore. The game does significantly depart from the story, in that there's no second visitation, and in a couple other ways.

EDIT EDIT: Apparently, both S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro 2033 were 'heavily inspired' by this story! Kinda cool!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 26, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Right you are! Here for listening pleasure

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Awww yeah!

Sorry for the break everybody, I knew a big rush at work was coming, which was why I wanted to do a big push and get most of it out. The rush hit, so there was that delay but I got a reprieve!

So this is it for the main game! I'd really like to hear what you think. There's a lot to unpack, a lot to enjoy, and, honestly, a lot to be frustrated with. This isn't some flawless work by any means, so if you think the ending doesn't hold water, I'd like to hear about that, too. On a.... probably fourth replay? I'd say I like it overall.

Also, while I've held off on adding any music of my own, I really couldn't resist with the credit sequence. Normally there isn't any music at all during it, just ambient noises, but I've added in "Psyche Rock", the remix by Fatboy Slim.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Now, a note about the DLC. I mentioned that there was a terrible, horrible, no-good very bad design decision associated with it. Here it is

In every level of the DLC, there is a survivor you can pick up. You can only travel with one survivor at a time, and there are ~10 levels. But each survivor has unique dialogue, so to get the "full" story, you'd need to play the game once keeping the first survivor the whole time, then another time getting the first survivor, then dropping him for the second survivor (or not picking up the first at all, it doesn't matter), and keeping the SECOND survivor straight through, then another time with the third survivor... just, more than 10 playthroughs. It's unbelievably tedious!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, I can't help but read some Classic Eastern European Fatalism into this. The Strugatsky brothers works that this dev team drew from were, for the most part, much more positive, but DID entail a fundamental change in people from a lower to a higher form, and that WAS one of the stated goals of Communism.

But if you weren't Russia, the experience of this was that you got invaded for nebulous reasons, and the actual people doing the invading were more than likely sort of aloof and capricious (if not outright sadistic, which we haven't seen any white-eyes be). A few people I'm sure gained tremendous power and influence by collaborating with the party, but the party was also corrupt, and things just kind of spiraled down.

As with any work of fiction, it can be hard to gauge how in-tune the author is with how their creation sounds. For instance, I read a lot of self-serving and arrogant self-satisfaction out of the white-eyes, without really seeing any evidence of that. It COULD be that they're meant to be these hyper-intelligent beings just SO FAR BEYOND human ken, but, if so, the authors didn't convey that (I'd argue). OR they may have totally intended for them to come off that way, and my rankling is what they were hoping for. I'm still going to ask them a packet of questions, and I might include something about the so-called white-eyes superiority.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 11, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah uh.... huh. Honestly didn't make that connection, but it's just right there, isn't it.

Edit: That said, it's not really perfect either. The gas is a separating element here, where everybody is gassed and those who can "stand it" will pull themselves through. The Nazis (at least pretended that they) thought that there already WAS a coherent, evolved group of humans, and they just needed to seize control from the parasitic elements of society and take their rightful place as leaders.

It's similar, but one was, in theory, more about blood and racial identity, and one was about a person changing the way they related to the state - from a consumer, totally self-focused, to a generous and philosophical worker, contributing for the good of society.

Of course, BOTH regimes ended up being about trying not to get stepped on by demagogues, but.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 11, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

It certainly made the story play interestingly.

OK FOLKS, DLC TIME

Sorry for the delay, but, while I DO complain about this in the DLC videos themselves, I don't like how this one part of the DLC goes enough to re-complain about it here.

So there are 11 combat levels in the DLC, and a few non-combat levels. In each combat level, there is a survivor. You can only take one survivor with you, so taking one means dropping the one you have.

Each survivor has unique dialogue on the transition between levels. Additionally, there is special dialogue for when you don't take ANY survivors.

This means that, if you aren't using hack-y methods (like what I did!), you would need to play the 13-level DLC through 12 times to get all the dialogue. That is 156 levels, and while the game is pretty and the dialogue is neat, it is NOT worth it.

I did the trick of copying my save file at each level, so I could re-start from level 2 after the first playthrough, then level 3, and so on, roughly halving the number of individual levels I had to play.

It's brutal, it's not interesting (I might recommend two or MAYBE three playthroughs to get everything, but 12 is absurd), and I KNOW they want you to do it, because there's an achievement for "finishing" each storyline.

The other thing is, while some storylines are VERY deep, informative, and provide useful looks into the world of Final Station, I'd say roughly half of them are just *this character has personality trait x. Watch as their dialogue reflects that!* and doesn't really add anything at ALL.

It's frustrating, but I've stitched together all the dialogue sections for you guys so you get the benefit without any of the tooth-grinding repetition!

With that caveat out of the way, I'm a really big fan of the DLC. It's got basically all of my favorite levels, it adds to the story without being cheap, and it has a different enough emotional tone that I think it was worthwhile.

Also, I'm open to suggestions for who "The Only Traitor" is! There are ~3-4 possibilities that I see. FIRST PART GO

The Missed Document is here

Bacter fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 27, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, I think that's because each dialogue was obtained on a different playthrough, and Jesse's was the last one I did before fixing a few things to try and up the framerate.

Anyway: I agree that

ADAM THORNTON

is a fine candidate for being The Only Traitor. If this were true, then he would be the only member of the council to try and stop Their plans! There are a few more, and hint hint, we might get a subtle clue about who one of them might be in this update!

Youtube made it harder to add buttons to skip you around in videos lately, so in the interest of public service, I'm going to add gameplay level start times to the video in case for some reason you don't want to watch all the reactions every time. I would recommend that you at LEAST hear the curator's though!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 29, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah, and in fact the game is claiming that they are in fact stomping around RIGHT NOW, it's just that our heroes never happen to actually run into them.

SKEPTICISM INTENSIFIES

Now, that said, the sci-fi story this game is based on also had aliens as major characters that are never seen or described in the main story, but...

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Brewerfriend is best.

My beef isn't really that I don't LIKE all the different companions? It's just that MOST of them aren't worth a separate playthrough. Maybe if there had been... I don't know, three or four, and each of them had different information that really shed a light on the world, that'd be fine? Well, I really like the ending.

AND HERE

IT

IIIIIIIIIS

So the ending to this DLC... people can feel different ways about it. Some love, some hate, I'm more towards love but I could imagine somebody being not there. It's certainly not standard, and I'm including the main game's ending in the "standard" category, subcategory G, standard bleak. Though it had twists of it's own, ahhhh just watch it!

Let me know what you think, droogs! I'll have more to say later

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

There's some subtitles running over themselves in 3A at 9:07.

On these!

Yeah - the art was a major high point for me. I honestly don't know how I'd rate the game if it was uglier. Like if the game was a text adventure? I have no idea.

"EXITS ARE N, W, AND MAGICAL SPACE LAND"

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So, probable candidates for being The Only Traitor:

Adam Thornton : Being that he had a seat on the council, a notoriously alien-friendly institution, but went against their wishes to try to save humanity.

Hunter : Being that most of the other members of the council seem to have been, at least initially, working for their own benefit. The hunter appears to be actively converting the other members into white-eyes and just generally working for the aliens (or for himself? look, we never actually learn what it is the aliens want, so). There' also a huge painting of him that Adam had stolen and vandalized presumably himself with the word "TRAITOR". So...

Peter, the hero of the DLC : This one is my personal bet, in that we are in fact the only... triple agent? I guess? We're the only member of the initial game's passengers to be secretly working for the aliens (if you don't count that one guy who was leaking black goo that we found in the tunnels, but he didn't really seem to have much of an agenda at all). Not ONLY that, but in my interpretation of the events of the game, we realized that the train conductor was a good guy and was taking us to the L-ABS bunker himself, so we didn't need to kill him at all, making us a traitor to the hunter/aliens who hired us to be a traitor to humanity/the conductor. PRETTY TRAITISH!

(Also: content edit - they evidently went back and updated the English translation with help from a fan! I'm kind of interested to see how much better it is)

Bacter fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 25, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Hey, speaking of.... remember those notes I missed?

Well........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Yeah I really appreciate background details in games, and you have to admit, it's got to be REALLY CREEPY to have seen photos / heard stories of your dad's old gang, the four people that re-made the country, and to have seen your dad grow old and die (it's been 106 years, I'm pretty sure they're all dead), and then one of them just SHOWS BACK UP, looking just the same as he did back then, and talking more or less like he would have.

• Locked thread