Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There's also the more direct metaphor the hunter gives the train conductor with his 'Boy it must be nice to be a Train Conductor' spiel. Namely that just doing your job and going with the flow will only get you so far in the end. Also that you don't have a lot of control over your destination (after all, you're riding the rails not laying them out etc.)

Do wish the train sections were better about hearing the conversations while maintaining the train though. That's somewhat annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The settler's and their discrimination is one of the things that I find harder to wrap my head around in relation to tying the whole thing together. I mean, on the surface it's a fairly standard 'don't trust them they were the ones who went into the crazy alien zone and came back they're probably in on it!' with the subtext of 'pushing distrust on the one group of people who actually know the face of the enemy and thus are more likely to know what's actually going on' subversion.

But aside from that there's a lot more talk the game puts on them than would warrant it. Then again, I'm taking the 'rising up to a higher being' thing with a grain of salt and the game spends quite a bit of time talking that up as well. Technically they are superior by merit of not devolving at exposure to the gas and thus have apparent immunity to it but that's pretty much where their superiority ends from all of the actual evidence presented.

They're still normal people doing their thing, up to and including the ringleaders who have a new scheme to get the new masses invested in. Considering the performance of the Guardian, they shouldn't be putting much stock in but it's another sign of the status quo that they're going along with the portal thing.

Which puts something of a cyclical nature to the process. Today it's strain 2 of a Gas that converts human beings into something 'better' while everyone pins their hopes on a Giant Robot, tomorrow it's probably going to be strain 3 of that Gas while everyone builds the delivery mechanism for it disguised as 'they accept us and will now supply us with stuff we need.'

It's entirely possible that there are no aliens anymore (considering the reverse engineering of their First Visitation tech and all) and it's the ringleaders that are all doing this in order to drastically change society because as it stands things are on the down trend.

• Locked thread