Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I recently bought an Acer Aspire ES1 for light use and the thing has been randomly turning itself off. Not a controlled shutdown, just sudden black screen. Turns on fine afterwards, may or may not repeat behaviour. No pattern to when, it's done it playing games and browsing the net.
Event log shows a Kernel Power Event at the time of power off.
I've tried reloading Win 10 and all drivers are up to date.

According to hwmonitor chip temp doesn't go over 60-ish C.
Only seems to happen when unplugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Kerbtree posted:

I recently bought an Acer Aspire ES1 for light use and the thing has been randomly turning itself off. Not a controlled shutdown, just sudden black screen. Turns on fine afterwards, may or may not repeat behaviour. No pattern to when, it's done it playing games and browsing the net.
Event log shows a Kernel Power Event at the time of power off.
I've tried reloading Win 10 and all drivers are up to date.

According to hwmonitor chip temp doesn't go over 60-ish C.
Only seems to happen when unplugged.

Is it still under warranty? If yes, RMA it.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

MF_James posted:

Is it still under warranty? If yes, RMA it.
Yeah, it's only a fortnight old.

Oddly, I reset windows to get ready to return the thing and fired up prime95 and hwmonitor to see if I could force a poweroff and it's been doing its thing happily for an hour. I've got till Saturday to do a no-questions return on the thing, so I'll see what happens. I may have hosed something up at some point.

Just as I go to hit Submit on this, out the corner of my eye I see the screen go black and there's no power led. Looks like I'll be visiting Argos tomorrow.

ed: I've got a HP x360 now. It's nice.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 22, 2017

• Locked thread