Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I sorted every bin, bag, bucket, box and basket. touched every single thing in my garage.

I found bags of tools i brought out to fix stuff in 2013 that just got tossed in a box that got tossed in a bucket that got tossed in a bin.

I've got sorting to do on the wall, but that's only determining where to put stuff, all the specific stuff is sorted mostly into bins, but a lot of stuff can go on the wall to save bin space.

There's nothing left in the garage without a purpose or reason(except for some stuff that has to go to auction in the spring)

my ratty rear end work bench is bare for the first time in 10. There's nothing on the floor that isn't supposed to be there.

I can completely walk around both cars and have room to work on other stuff, too.

I'm only 7 months behind where i thought i would be but with the mess i allowed to accumulate, it was a poo poo ton of work. I'm still somehow missing most of my 1/2" sockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm in the early stages of a similar project since I got one of the black Friday tool chests from Home Depot. So much room for things but so many things to actually sort through.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

A ton of work but really satisfying. Nice job powershift.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

I sorted every bin, bag, bucket, box and basket. touched every single thing in my garage.

I found bags of tools i brought out to fix stuff in 2013 that just got tossed in a box that got tossed in a bucket that got tossed in a bin.

I've got sorting to do on the wall, but that's only determining where to put stuff, all the specific stuff is sorted mostly into bins, but a lot of stuff can go on the wall to save bin space.

There's nothing left in the garage without a purpose or reason(except for some stuff that has to go to auction in the spring)

my ratty rear end work bench is bare for the first time in 10. There's nothing on the floor that isn't supposed to be there.

I can completely walk around both cars and have room to work on other stuff, too.

I'm only 7 months behind where i thought i would be but with the mess i allowed to accumulate, it was a poo poo ton of work. I'm still somehow missing most of my 1/2" sockets.

Great work. I hope the effort doesn't lay you up too badly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Great work. I hope the effort doesn't lay you up too badly.

Thanks. Doing hundreds of squats up and down off my creeper stool has actually done wonders for my knees and hips.

I'm also down about 50 pounds from Easter, so that too is just getting easier and easier.

I had some pretty brutal day-afters doing too much over the summer, but i think at this point with my age/health i have a much better handle on what i'm capable of in a day. Not dreading a day on my back after a day in the garage removes one of the big barriers. to getting out there more often.

Putting the snowblower back together went about 10 times quicker without having to search for parts and tools and climbing over things.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm in the early stages of a similar project since I got one of the black Friday tool chests from Home Depot. So much room for things but so many things to actually sort through.

My only suggestion, good drawer liners if it doesn't have. I spilled some flux in the top of my toolbox and it made it through every drawer.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 6, 2023

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Powershift posted:

reason: because I might need it some day

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Steve French posted:

reason: because I might need it some day

Yeah, that was a pretty big problem. "it's garbage but it's nice garbage"

I have a habit of buying dumb cheap poo poo at auctions just to fill the truck, and some of that stuff was piling up.

I did keep a bin of material for fabricating stuff, but i scrapped over $100 worth of metal.

Anything that takes up more than a square foot of space and didn't have a specific project attached to it is gone.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I did some organizing about a week ago in order to be able to fit more of my wheeled trash in the garage.

This week I’ve been dealing with trying to keep the mice at bay since it got colder and they are trying to move in. Got three so far in regular snap traps but the next move is trapdoor bucket lid traps for both garages because it’s easier to go days without checking, unlike the snap traps that have to be looked at constantly. Living rural has its occasional downsides but I always manage to stay ahead of them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

My only suggestion, good drawer liners if it doesn't have. I spilled some flux in the top of my toolbox and it made it through every drawer.

It came with pre-cut liners and adhesive to stick them down so they don't end up sliding everywhere like the liners in two of my old chests (the third didn't have liners at all).

I've also been sopping up the mess of a 4qt bottle of oil that must have been squished somehow without me noticing it, because it split open and started seeping. Most of the oil was still in the bottle but somehow it managed to cover a huge area all the same.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Powershift posted:

Good work p shift. This type of thing takes so long to do (properly) but is so so worth it in the end.

I love throwing poo poo out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

Good work p shift. This type of thing takes so long to do (properly) but is so so worth it in the end.

I love throwing poo poo out.

It feels better than buying poo poo, honestly.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I did some organizing about a week ago in order to be able to fit more of my wheeled trash in the garage.

This week I’ve been dealing with trying to keep the mice at bay since it got colder and they are trying to move in. Got three so far in regular snap traps but the next move is trapdoor bucket lid traps for both garages because it’s easier to go days without checking, unlike the snap traps that have to be looked at constantly. Living rural has its occasional downsides but I always manage to stay ahead of them.

Tin Cat. https://www.amazon.com/Victor-M310S-Trap-Catches-Geometric-Pattern/dp/B00004RAMU

Either catch and release, or it's self baiting, depending on your preferences.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Alarbus posted:

Tin Cat. https://www.amazon.com/Victor-M310S-Trap-Catches-Geometric-Pattern/dp/B00004RAMU

Either catch and release, or it's self baiting, depending on your preferences.

Yeah I saw that one at the store. I’m going for the “one of every kind” approach. I’m very egalitarian.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

We were catching multiple per week and still finding nests and poop until I finally got sick of it and have a monthly visit from a local exterminator company with a bunch of bait traps. Haven't caught any in my traps or found any dead bodies since hiring them. IMO worth the cost but ymmv

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I took everything out after my garage flooded a few years ago and need to do it again, a day of spring cleaning every year helps.

Using cats for the mouse problem helps keep things clean too because they'll knock over anything you let pile up.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

SpeedFreek posted:

I took everything out after my garage flooded a few years ago and need to do it again, a day of spring cleaning every year helps.

Using cats for the mouse problem helps keep things clean too because they'll knock over anything you let pile up.

I do have a barn cat but she loves sleeping on top of cars so I’m not gonna let her in until all the cars are covered. It’s pretty normal to go outside and see tiny little paw prints on the Z4 because she loves sleeping on the canvas top.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

ThirstyBuck posted:

Has anyone tried this slightly less hideous one? I willing to pay a little more if it means my wife and neighbors hate me a lot less.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ft-x-20-ft-trucksuv-portable-garage-58741.html

My dad has a couple of these from Costco, so not the exact same ones.
We have done the following to make them survive:

- additional supports under the tarps for snow
- brush the snow as soon as it falls so it doesn't melt and get heavy
- Depending on the design, you may need to tie the feet together so it can't splay out and collaspe. Some of them have bars there, some of them dont.
- when the tarp gets sun beaten, he has been putting more tarps on top. If the original tarp was good quality, then its cheaper to buy the real fitted part from the manufacturer than keep buying blue ones and putting them on top (which also look hidious)
- They have to be tied down all the time. I didn't tie one of mine down, and it was blown away over the fence. I figured that leaning a bunch of engines on it would be fine, but its not.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I do have a barn cat but she loves sleeping on top of cars so I’m not gonna let her in until all the cars are covered. It’s pretty normal to go outside and see tiny little paw prints on the Z4 because she loves sleeping on the canvas top.

That's basically a cat hammock.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

By spring the roof of the Jag is full of paw prints, it's cats all the way down.

blindjoe posted:

- They have to be tied down all the time. I didn't tie one of mine down, and it was blown away over the fence. I figured that leaning a bunch of engines on it would be fine, but its not.
Had a friend put one of those up behind the barn for his camper and truck. The one weekend he didn't have it tied to the truck and camper, just stakes in the ground, we found it in the field. Had the same thing happen to one of the greenhouses more than once but the fourth time it stayed up.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

blindjoe posted:

brush the snow as soon as it falls so it doesn't melt and get heavy
I have physics questions.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I bought the 12x20 ShelterLogic tent garage from Tractor Supply and the top didn't last 5 months of shaded sun before the it split and started shedding material. Shelter Logic were total shitheads about the warranty despite having registered it, had the receipt, and the warranty in front of me. They lied about sending a replacement cover twice, after that I gave up.

I have a Kirkland replacement op on it now, fantastic material and well made.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Inspired by pshift’s post I spent too much time today attempting to build a tire rack to win back some garage space.

I need to run a chain down the middle from the ceiling joist and then it will be done. Tires and wheels are heavy!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I did that a couple of months ago in my shed:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Has anyone looked into or done any kind of fume extraction? I rolled a friends project car into the garage for storage Saturday then quickly discovered the car stunk like old gas. I was able to open up the garage for most of the day yesterday and with a few fans get rid of the odor but I'd like something faster and more convenient. The "storage" side of the garage has the stairs leading to the living room so smells fill the house pretty fast, I generally avoid doing work or using chemicals in that half. The front half is below the kitchen but even starting a car that's been sitting for a while can cause odors to creep upstairs.

Current though it use an old non-used dryer outlet and a simple fan but if there's a better way I'm all ears. Better version would be a few bathroom extraction fans plumbed together using that same dryer outlet.

Going to browse around GarageJournal during meetings today to see what solutions have been successful over there.

edit: dryer vent outlet would be behind the yellow car in this, on the right wall in a couple feet from the corner

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 11, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

At work we use corrugated rubber tubes to go over the exhaust (and some Y versions for duals) that are hooked up to vacuum. That way you can have an engine running inside and not die, it seems to work well and even diesels it works without any smell.

For the whole garage I imagine something like an attic fan would be pretty nice for keeping a giant general area clear.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Attic fan is a great idea, they move a ton of air, need to see if I have enough space. Having a hose I could slide over a car exhaust would be a very nice bonus.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Fan out of a dust collector perhaps

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I use an old furnace blower. I know someone with a mini paint booth he built who rolls it behind the motorcycle dyno to catch exhaust fumes.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Slugworth posted:

I have physics questions.

Fair, when snow falls here we then immediately get rain, so if you don't brush it off, your 6" of fluffy snow becomes 4" of slush that holds the rain.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That's why I like sheet metal roofs with a decent slant, the snow just glides off when it thaws.

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

SpeedFreek posted:

I use an old furnace blower. I know someone with a mini paint booth he built who rolls it behind the motorcycle dyno to catch exhaust fumes.

Same. They usually can be found cheap used and they absolutely move air. I can have a rotary running inside with the garage door cracked and not die.

This thing moves so much air, its very hard to open a door if its already running.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I installed some Amazon LEDs. these ones but i think i paid $100 on prime day.

it makes the 3 x 4 x T8 fluorescent lights look decorative. longevity TBD but all 10 worked out of the box which is more luck than some people have. They feel very cheap but they are, and quite bright so :shrug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

More lumens is always better.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

meatpimp posted:

More lumens is always better.

Yeah, The correct amount of lumens is "more".

It's amazing how much bigger it feels in there. Having light hit the ceiling makes it a lot less claustrophobic

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I added a shitload of that same brand and model of lights 2ish years ago. Minus one finicky rocker switch that I never should have wired in, they've been 100%.

The only other thing I'd change is installing two shitloads of them instead. Good garage lighting is such a huge quality of life improvement.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Having better than noon lighting in your garage with zero shadows is bliss.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Verman posted:

Having better than noon lighting in your garage with zero shadows is bliss.

Amen to that. I calculated 150 lumens/square foot in my garage when I did my lighting upgrade years ago with T8s. My lab where I do assembly and SMD soldering is more like 200 lumens/sqft. It's glorious.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Amen to that. I calculated 150 lumens/square foot in my garage when I did my lighting upgrade years ago with T8s. My lab where I do assembly and SMD soldering is more like 200 lumens/sqft. It's glorious.
Just did the math, 375 :monocle:

Rated, which I don't trust, and I can confidently say my garage is orders of magnitude smaller

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I just did the math on my setup. Now I have lumen envy and need to add more lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's -39*c right now. I've got a little space heater in the garage and it's not....terrible? This is 3 hours on high.

The doors are obviously bad and i'm guessing the roof isn't insulated.

It's supposed to hit -46 tonight, and -48 tomorrow night. I don't want to leave the heater running unattended all night, but i also don't want the mystery coolant mix in the car to break stuff.