Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm disappointed they didn't make the desk he will testify at into a Keebler Elf tree.

Oh here's John "Alzheimers Face literally right now" McCain.

mr sessions, is it true that president clinton has fired on fort Sumter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

they left out the bible

they didn't even make him use his oathin hand

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"sorry, god said i can't violate executive privilege"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I hope Franken has the bombshell questions. It's only right

he's not on this committee, sadly

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

So if they have proof of a Mayflower meeting, he is already perjuring himself

no he just doesn't recall any meeting but maybe his poor elf brain just plumb forgot

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DACK FAYDEN posted:

28CFR 45.2 required it!

Apparently.

amazing how long it took him to read that

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ah did nat recuse mahself from defendan mah honah

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i think we all know the first question is going to be what took you so loving long and he's not laying any sensible groundwork so no matter what his answer is going to be is going to look dumb as poo poo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"it became clear to me over time this plain regulation i keep explaining to you that i would have to. please don't ask why it took so long. please."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KickerOfMice posted:

Is Franken going to have another go at him today?

Franken is on judiciary, this is intelligence.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

warner is clearly concerned sessions is filibustering questions

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

evilweasel posted:

warner is clearly concerned sessions is filibustering questions

correctly, of course

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

when even chris cizilla is dunking on you you're in trouble

https://twitter.com/CillizzaCNN/status/874710146634723332

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sessions just completely didn't answer the question there, i want that transcript

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hahahaha the senator just was like of course you'd have quit the campaign if there was collusion and sessions, in a rare fit of honesty, was like "well...maybe"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Very carefully did not state that no one served as a surrogate in regards to speaking to the Russians, just that he didn't.

yeah, that was so careful that he was trying to avoid admitting something and so I want to figure out exactly what

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rubio is giving sessions a friendly chance to answer obvious questions to pre-empt democrats and sessions is completely flubbing them anyway

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

already loving loving this questioning

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

senator wyden

i am not stonewalling

*bursts into flame*

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oracle posted:

Sessions basically stating he never did his job is his defense?

his defense is he acted as if he was recused until he determined that he should formally be recused

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

when is someone going to hit sessions over the head with his repeated tv appearances defending comey's actions

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/adamgoldmanNYT/status/874717149859917827

i think this is correct

they gambled he could deflect and boy howdy he cannot

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

How does all this gybe with Trump saying Comey was fired specifically for the Russia thing?

well, it turns out that literally everything that might bear on that question is covered by executive privilege

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oracle posted:

He sounds whiny, wheedling, nasally, high-pitched, lisping and petulant. He's trying for outrage but it sounds rehearsed and he stumbles over his words when he tries to emphasize them. His stiff hand motions don't help either. He needs some voice coaching, because it would have been a lot more impactful otherwise.

he got the quote he was looking for, it'll look better in print

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hahaha gently caress you elf boy, finally they're nailing him on executive privilege

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sessions has hosed up baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadly here

he has said that he's giving Trump the chance to review the question and decide to invoke executive privilege, so now he's thrown Trump under the bus who now must assert it or not

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't understand what this means but hell yeah!

The job of everyone dodging these questions has been to dodge them (a) without invoking executive privilege (because only Trump can) and (b) without making Trump have to answer that question. The Trump Administration wants to not answer the question, but not invoke the privilege. They want their underlings to take the heat. Sessions instead lobbed that grenade that he's supposed to be jumping on himself at Trump. Trump has to now invoke privilege or tell Sessions to answer the drat question, while with the three intelligence officials who stonewalled the Administration doesn't have to do anything at all.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Coca Koala posted:

What's the downside for the administration of Trump invoking executive privilege?

a long history of it getting interpreted by the public about the same as pleading the 5th, getting lots of headlines about how the White House refuses to turn over documents based on some fake-sounding bullshit

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ahahaha all the headlines about this are going to be that sessions was a dishonest lying weasel who wouldn't answer questions

he is so loving bad at this

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"mr attorney general, you never loving even asked about the russian hacking?"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boot and Rally posted:

So Lankford is saying the Supreme Court has ruled Sessions has to answer the question?

yeah did he think that one through at all?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hahaha lankford is getting mad that sessions' babbling is cutting into his grandstanding time

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Do they maintain a particular ratio of senators in these hearings? It would suck if they stacked it with Rs.

There's one more R than D on the committee.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"what the gently caress is wrong with your recollection, mr sessions"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

it makes him nervous poor dear

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

of course they prevented her from getting an answer to that, get hosed

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FINALLY

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ahahahaha "...no, i didn't complain about the hacking"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ramos posted:

Even Sessions is having trouble with figuring out what McCain's asking. loving wow.

no, mccain is being pretty clear here

sessions just doesn't want to admit the answers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

These are good questions

I think

yeah its all about "when you were doing these meetings were you actually defending the interests of the united states" and sessions is just like "no why would i do that"

• Locked thread