Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
All of the following should be prefaced with, 'I think'... I'm don't want to suggest any of this is some kind of magical truth in any of this, but rather that this is how I look at music composition and production without having to say, 'this is my opinion' at the end of every sentence.

---

I really, really disagree with the idea of building music with some kind of structured approach (Start here. Add this stuff. Do this next). I think music is at it's best when it's inspired, or whimsical, or otherwise spontaneous. Trying to 'build a song' is going to result in a song that feels built out of some predefined set pieces. It's boilerplate and bo ring. Whatever your process is, I think it's way more difficult to build something wonderful if you are trying to, if that makes any sense.

Now I'm going to say weird things, so let's go explore weird parts of my brain. There is this weird piece of my brain where I can feel almost absolutely creative in the twilight of consciousness. The moments before I fall to sleep are moments where I have total, deliberate control of the creative forces of my brain. I can hear whole scores of original works in my head, but if I try to snap out of that state to jot it down, I lose it all. I've become pretty good at learning to focus on an idea, a motif, or some theme and commit that tiny bit to memory, in hopes that I can break off of that later. That's the 'creative process' that I used a lot. I don't know how to teach people to leverage those moments, or how to extend that mental state to several minutes, or if it's just a quirk in my head and not universal, but it's something to maybe be aware of if you are looking for a font of creativity.

If you are looking for more direction than that, maybe try working off of a simple motif. Ori and the Blind Forest has a whole soundtrack built on the back of 9 notes, and it's absolutely beautiful and stunning. I know a couple people who try that as a means of channeling something more creative.

I feel like both personally and from talking to others, that trying to force creativity is a great way to hit writer's block. Avoid some kind of structure and experiment, both with and without direction. Try to recreate circumstances where you feel most creative and see if you can channel that more effectively with practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread