Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

I'm not a musician but as a creative this is what I would suggest:

Hum. A lot. Hum in the shower. Hum during your commute. Scat along too. Drum on your desk. Go wild and let loose with it, don't let your inhibitions get in the way. You just might find something work using when you improvise.

"Sketch" out some ideas in your preferred composition tools. The great thing about synthesizers is that you can iterate as much as you want, so if something sounds like poo poo you can move it around, rearrange the measures, change the tempo or the instrument... and you don't have to set out to make a complete song every time you sit down to compose.

Try composing with a theme or story in mind. Use the instruments as voices to portray that story. For electronic music it tends to be easy listening so you can't get as wild as an orchestral piece but you could come up with something akin to a video game soundtrack, which is more or less designed to be more immersive and less engaging.

Do something every day. Whether you put down 10 notes or 100, every individual thing you do towards the goal of composing puts you that much closer to it. You'll also stretch out your creative muscles so that you build the habits that will help put you in a creative mindset more easily, and also keep you out of the "artist block" funk.

Finally, I'll let you in on a little secret: there's really no such thing as "eureka." For creative people their minds are constantly churning through information in the background and that burst of creativity is the culmination of piecing elements together into a whole, it doesn't just come from nowhere. Admittedly some people are (much) better at pulling from this source of creativity than others, but as you work towards being creative and developing the skills and experience necessary to produce novel material you'll rewire the parts of your brain that interpret the world around you. Eventually as you practice composing you'll hit upon something you're truly happy with; sure it may not be the most professional sounding piece, but as the sum of your hard work it will prove your efforts. That will be the fuel that drives you to create more.

Aw man green's my favorite color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

So are you creative yet?

• Locked thread