Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
I visited my parents recently and took home a load of minidisks that had around 6 years worth of my finished and unfinished music. There are several cliff-edges of creativity in there, where I suddenly stop recording full-length tracks that I'm still proud of and start recording 64 bars of lovely doodles. In hindsight it was always because I was trying too hard, not listening to anybody else's music, and taking it too seriously. I took a natural break from it after I got married and had a kid. When I came back to it I started to think about ways I could be more productive and creative. A few things I did -

-Take the time to immerse yourself in other people's music, and make sure it's not just the same genre you want to make. If you only listen to 3 or 4 dub step artists, you're just going to recreate one of their tunes.
-Don't ever record your unfinished tracks and listen to them back. You'll numb yourself to them and lose all objectivity. You'll be excited to hear it again when you boot up your music software.
-If you do the above and your track sounds poo poo the next day, bin it (this is possibly a personal thing, I used to spend far too long trying to make dead end ideas work).
-related to the above, only spend time on tracks that excite you. This is probably the most important point. It should be fun. You should get a buzz out of your idea, like you get from other people's tunes.

Oh, and theory should help you construct a tune. Don't reach for it in the hope that is going to give you ideas, because it won't.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread