Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
A new Season 3 promo has been spotted in the wild:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSL20z96rRw

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Notes:

The Diaz home is still covered in graduation party decorations but the Diazes are ready for bed. Presumably season 3 picks up a few hours after season 2 ends and just after Marco finished his live stream.

Ruberiot is at the party River holds, so apparently the royal family didn't execute him for revealing state secrets.

Star is wearing Marco's hoodie around her neck (and the dress she ended season 2 in) when she's bo-staffing the rats.

Ludo looks somewhat beat up when he realizes someone's possessing his hand.

River's last sentence is "Fetch our son loincloths."

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

River's last sentence is "Fetch our son loincloths."
Fetch us our loincloths.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I can't get over the fact that one of the laser puppies is named "Barco Diaz"

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Senerio posted:

Fetch us our loincloths.

Disney Television Animated News captured a higher quality version, and you're totally right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtnBnhz-0Ac

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Thanks for sharing OP. I was previously unaware of this fun show! It's no Gravity Falls but it's pretty great. I agree with Test Pattern that they've done a good job plotting out and tying things in. One of my favourite silly bits is how $650 is always the amount needed to resolve a situation.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Corte posted:

Thanks for sharing OP. I was previously unaware of this fun show! It's no Gravity Falls but it's pretty great. I agree with Test Pattern that they've done a good job plotting out and tying things in. One of my favourite silly bits is how $650 is always the amount needed to resolve a situation.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Corte posted:

No problem! It doesn't quite fill the hole Gravity Falls left in my heart, but it certainly comes close.

Also, the reveal of where Marco keeps getting $650 is probably one of my favorite gags in the series.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I never actually noticed that gag... :geno:

Welp like I ever needed an excuse to get high and rewatch a bunch've cartoons.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
It's in the episode where the Reform School Headmistress returns

Marco needs a copyright lawyer, I think he's getting shafted

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

No problem! It doesn't quite fill the hole Gravity Falls left in my heart, but it certainly comes close.

Also, the reveal of where Marco keeps getting $650 is probably one of my favorite gags in the series.

I kept thinking "now where does a teenager get that kind of money" and then the reveal was just the most hilarious things I'd ever seen

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

So I'm caught up and going through one of my oh so predictable bouts of ennui after having no more episodes to watch. Anyone have a recommendation for something in a similar vein? I've watched Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Corte posted:

So I'm caught up and going through one of my oh so predictable bouts of ennui after having no more episodes to watch. Anyone have a recommendation for something in a similar vein? I've watched Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra.

Do you have Netflix? Troll Hunters and the How to Train Your Dragon series are pretty good (the latter after you get past the first few formulaic episodes).

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Corte posted:

All the cool guys who came into Korra for season 3 and 4 moved on into Netflix's Voltron and that's solid with two season so far, though it's way more sci-fi than SU or AT.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You could also check out Phineas and Ferb if you haven't already seen it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Corte posted:

Over the Garden Wall is closer to horror than anything else that's been mentioned but you basically owe it to yourself to watch it. It's so good.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

paradoxGentleman posted:

Over the Garden Wall is closer to horror than anything else that's been mentioned but you basically owe it to yourself to watch it. It's so good.

Seconding this recommendation, OtGW is utterly fantastic and well worth the ~two hours it takes to blaze through it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Nobody has mentioned Miraculous yet, for shame.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Miraculous is really fun, and also on Netflix. They even have the French dub, which I highly recommend (since the show takes place in France).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Corte posted:

Wakfu and Dofus: The Treasures of Kerubim.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Teen Titans Go

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have in fact already seen OtGW and loved it. I've gone back and listened to the princess song a bunch and thought they did a really good job. I'm not Fall Out Boy fan but Patrick Stump did a great job with the vocals.

Levin fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 21, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
At first I thought the cheek shapes on the royal family were just card suites (clubs, diamonds, spades and hearts). The other day I noticed that someone had lighting bolts. Do we know how many of those cheek shapes there are?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

At first I thought the cheek shapes on the royal family were just card suites (clubs, diamonds, spades and hearts). The other day I noticed that someone had lighting bolts. Do we know how many of those cheek shapes there are?

An unlimited number. Aunt Etheria in "Game of Flags" has five-pointed stars on her cheeks, and the background tapestries in the Grandma Room include queens with bunnies, four-pointed stars, and hourglasses.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

So have you watched the first season yet? Or at least the two double-length episodes? Very good, now read on.

Episode 0201a: My New Wand

Star and Marco must deal with the fallout of Storm the Castle, particularly Star's new wand with half a broken crystal in it. Then the wand suddenly flies to Glossaryck, trapping it, the Book of Spells, and Marco in Star's secrets closet. The door won't open without magic, but Glossaryck explains to Star that she can "dip down" to use magic without her wand.

Fun facts: Star starts the new season in a new outfit. If you pay close attention to the stuff in Star's closet, you'll see things left over from a lot of season one episodes. The unicorn head spins in a full circle.

Food for thought: The first spell Star casts without her wand creates a pink key, and the first spell she casts with her new wand creates a green explosion.

Episode 0201b: Ludo in the Wild

Star tossed Ludo into the abyss at the end of "Storm the Castle," but a mysterious green force pushes him through an open portal and into a wild forest. There, Ludo must learn to survive or die in the hostile environment.

Fun facts: Aside from the opening and closing classical piece, the soundtrack is entirely produced by a prepared piano, which is where you bow the strings, slap the sides for percussion, put stuff on the strings for metallic notes, etc. The prepared piano will continue to represent Ludo throughout the rest of season 2. The shooting star in the night sky shot at the end is green. Take a good look at the skeleton hand and consider where you might have seen it before.

Food for thought: This would have been a really quiet episode if Ludo wasn't the kind of guy who never shuts up. So does Ludo's beard mean he's over his hair issues or does it not count when it's his? It's never really tested during season 2. Do you think Ludo's wearing a Big Boy Diaper? And whatever happened to the eagle's offspring?

Episode 0202a: Mr. Candle Cares

Star and Marco get career advice from Echo Creek Academy's new guidance counselor. However, his guidance may have ulterior motives. Regardless, Star finds herself struggling under the weight of being the future queen of Mewni.

Fun facts: The "smooch buddies" line was in the season 2 trailer for the sole purpose of teasing the shippers. Pears of anguish are real torture devices that (like the iron maiden) may or may not have actually been used. The track that ends this episode is a reprise of the track that ends "Sleep Spells," because Marco's words to Star here are as important as Star's were to Marco then.

Episode 0202b: Red Belt

Spurred on by his meeting with Mr. Candle, Marco decides it's high time he get his next karate belt. In the process, he discovers he has a lot more in common with his sensei than he thought.

Fun facts: The moon in Marco's dream is the Blood Moon; you can hear a bit of the Waltz when it appears. The fight at the end swaps out the usual sound effects for those used in classic kung fu movies.

Food for thought: How much of Marco's dream sequence is random and how much does it foreshadow future episodes/seasons? And just how present is the Blood Moon in his (and Star's) subconscious? For that matter, how does Star know exactly what kind of dream he was having? Did Rafael forget he has a chisel hammer, or is that not appropriate for nails? Despite underestimating his final opponent, Marco doesn't even consider retreating; all that time fighting monsters has really paid off.

Episode 0203a: Star on Wheels

After Star demands too much from Marco's bicycling skills, he decides to teach her how to ride for herself. Unfortunately, the old "I already let go" trick goes horribly wrong and Marco must get Oskar and Glossaryck to help him get Star her wand.

Fun facts: This is the first Oskar spotlight episode. As Star coasts down the first big hill, you can see the TV Store from "The Banagic Incident." This is the first episode to feature the compact mirror, Mewni's answer to Earth cell phones.

Food for thought: During "The Banagic Incident," Star apparently knew pedals have something to do with moving a bicycle, but she didn't know their name. That bike can coast like nobody's business. How many giant invisible goats are roaming around out there?

Episode 0203b: Fetch

After Star unwisely uses her wand as a stick for the laser puppies to fetch, a different dog catches it and refuses to let it go. Star tries to find the dog's owner and get her wand back for the rest of the episode. The surprise guest star is voiced by Mayim Bialik who has a supporting role on Big Bang Theory.

Fun facts: This episode kicks off Star's season-long character arc of learning to deal with her problems head-on instead of trying her hardest to avoid them. When Marco touches his eye after a laser puppy zaps it, the puppy mimics his movements. Sensei's mom is at the dog park during the second visit.

Food for thought: Mewni isn't the only dimension to treat Earth as a safe haven, as shown in this and other episodes. So how much of the rest of the Earthian cast is secretly alien (but better at hiding it than Star)?

Episode 0204a: Star vs. Echo Creek

Star discovers her antics have consequences when she commits them outside of the Diaz home and the high school her parents paid off. She responds in typical fashion by running away. The surprise guest star is voiced by Yvette Nicole Brown, who played Shirley on Community.

Fun facts: Pay close attention to the colors used in the tapestry, because you won't see it again after you find out what it's made of. The submarine in the underwater sequence first appeared in "Royal Pain."

Thought for food: As an experiment, I put some brown sugar on a burrito. It's not my thing, but it honestly wasn't that bad.

Episode 0204b: Wand to Wand

In a series of scenes that may or may not take place simultaneously, Star and Ludo find themselves having trouble controlling their new wands. In both cases, it turns out to be a matter of the wielder's emotions.

Fun facts: Unlike Star, Ludo is almost exclusively right-handed when he uses his wand. Glossaryck's explanation makes perfect sense once you realize how colored magic works. The eye in the second mud blinks.

Food for thought: Ludo's wand doesn't have a unicorn or a power source. It may or may not be feeding off of Star's wand, but not having a unicorn of its own is probably why his is harder to use. This episode clearly establishes two magic energy types: pink and green. Pink is powered by love and is better at creation (consider how all Star's best spells summon things to hit her enemies with. Even her rainbows are made of stuff). On the other hand, green is anger and hatred and is better at destruction--hence Green Cloudy's actions. But evil isn't green in "Lobster Claws," it's purple-black, and we see more purple-black energy in seasons 2 and (apparently) 3. So how many other magic emotion-colors are there?

Episode 0205a: Starstruck

While dumpster-diving for the evening's leftover donuts (a habit she picked up after "Fortune Cookies"), Star meets her childhood idol, Sailor Moon Mina Loveberry (voiced by Amy Sedaris of BoJack Horseman. She was Lydia too, incidentally). Unfortunately, time hasn't been kind to Mina since her show ended, and several of her marbles have gone missing.

Fun facts: Except once, whenever one dumpster lid opens, the other one closes. Mina has bunny earrings as part of her being a Sailor Moon reference. Several of the tourists at the Mud Pits are regular visitors to Gravity Falls, which is the closest we'll get to a crossover under current Disney rules. Also, that park ranger is totally dead. He starts sinking in one shot and the last we see of him is his hat floating on the mud. Just like in real life, several people don't vote.

Food for thought: Marco acts as Star's conscience in this and other episodes, and as a result she seems to be turning into a much nicer person than most Mewmans. Not that Marco always resists temptation when it's directed at him. Note, though, that Marco is now letting Star figure things out on her own.

Episode 0205b: Camping Trip

When Star and the Diazes go on vacation to not-Yellowstone Park, Star's father joins them in a desperate bid to stay relevant in his daughter's life.

Fun facts: Marco first demonstrated he knows how to fish during "Cheer Up Star." Based on what River says, Star never told her parents she dated Tom. Pay attention during the Last Piggyback Ride sequence, because in the end River wins the staring contest. A man who looks suspiciously similar to Soos is part of the crowd that comes to watch Old Youthful. To be precise, it's 120 mph.

Food for thought: As harsh as nature on Earth can be, it makes sense that Star and River would be laid back considering the Forest of Certain Death and everything. I get the feeling that someone messed up the storyboard order for the waterfall jump and then someone else said, "No, wait, it's more awesome like this."

Episode 0206a: Starsitting

Yvgeny Bulgolyubov (aka Buff Frog) asks Star and Marco to babysit his Buff Babies while he's away on a job. Over the course of the episode, the two of them both make mistakes and good decisions, showing that babies need both structure and fun.

Fun fact: Buff Frog's season 1 tunic had Ludo's noble crest on it. His season 2 tunic does not.

Food for thought: Bears sure come up a lot on this show. Bears and spiders.

Episode 0206b: On the Job

With his kids safe with the protagonists, Buff Frog goes on a job to pay for his kids' food. However, his evil instincts seem blunted now that he's a father.

Fun facts: This is the first Buff Frog spotlight episode. Also contains the first sighting of River Butterfly's rocking throne.

Food for thought: Whatever happened to Ludo's old henchmen? Aside from Buff Frog and now Boo Fly, we haven't seen what's become of them or even whether they survived the explosion at the end of season 1.

Episode 0207a: Goblin Dogs

Pony Head invites Star and Marco to try a Goblin Dog, but the line for the food truck is incredibly long. The whole episode is based around a single joke, but there is a payoff. Also introduces Kelly, another of Star's old friends.

Fun facts: Look at the line carefully and you'll see beings who were at the Bounce Lounge, the Amethyst Arcade, the Scum Bucket (the second club from "Party with a Pony"), the Blood Moon Ball, King Butterfly's party, one of Buff Frog's coworkers, and maybe even a few references to other shows. Pony Head assumes people are dead very quickly, as seen here and in "Party with a Pony."

Episode 0207b: By the Book

Star is slacking off on her magic training, and when she unintentionally insults Glossaryck he starts sulking in a donut box.

Fun fact: Glossaryck has three arms at one point. All the spells Star uses during the fight scene are spells she hasn't used since the first season, which is why they're all underpowered now. Several reappear at full power later, so presumably she does some more training.

Food for thought: The wand crystal seems to function as a focus to help the wielder reach the magic that's already inside them. This means Star's spells depowered because she only has half a crystal, and they power back up later because she practices reaching deeper for her magic. Would death by crushing really be a danger to a guy who lives between the pages of a book? Honestly, Star just needed to think about that for a second. Exactly how far does Glossaryck's prescience extend?

Episode 0208a: Game of Flags

The extended Butterfly and Johansen royal families get together for their annual picnic (River Butterfly is né Johansen since the Butterflys are matrilineal). The two families aren't exactly fans of each other, so they decide to resolve their differences with Flags, an extreme game of King of the Hill. Star is determined to join in to prove that she deserves a seat at the grown-up table.

Fun facts: The episode's title is a pun on Game of Thrones, and the comparisons don't end there. Uncle Hartrude's right hand is a different shade than the rest of his skin in that first scene. This episode demonstrates that a Butterfly doesn't have to be in the direct line of succession to have cheek marks and those marks don't have to be card suits. However, not every Butterfly has cheek marks. The Johansen royal crest consists of three weapons around a shield and a bear caught in a bear trap. The Butterfly royal crest is two banners surrounding a fancy shield decorated with butterflies, stars, moons, and hearts with a crown and a smug unicorn on top. Poulaines are those fancy shoes with the long, pointy tips.

Food for thought: For someone who keeps saying not to waste time on anybody, Star sure wastes a lot of time on Marco. One of the Johansens is wearing a fanny pack; did River spread word of their utility after "Diaz Family Vacation?" The ending irony is great, but also keep in mind that Marco is the only one who always played fair.

Episode 0208b: Girls' Day Out

After Star kicks up a fuss in math class, Miss Skullnick sends her to detention. Once there, Janna convinces her to do favors for the other members of "D10."

Fun facts: This is the first spotlight episode for Janna and marks her introduction to Star's inner circle of friends. She basically replaces Alfonzo and Fergusen from this point on. Ingrid's German is apparently grammatically incorrect. Janna unrolls the map upside down.

Food for thought: The title can apply to Marisol, too. Miss Skullnick's season 2 design is much less lumpy and disturbing, which probably means that diet of hers is working.

Episode 0209a: Sleepover

Pony Head finds a Cenobite Box in the bathroom at the Bounce Lounge and decides to bring it to Star's sleepover as a party game. Features Sean Schemmel (aka the voice of Goku) as the box.

Fun facts: Watch the expression on the girls' faces to see their real opinion on Star's brownies. Daron Nefcy voices StarFan13, but that's not too unusual; she's done "additional voices" characters in two-thirds of the episodes and StarFan13 happens to be one the creators decided could be more than a one-off joke. StarFan13's usual favorite color is purple, and she's wearing a banana around her neck to duplicate Star's moon nightgown. StarFan13 has an "I'm flying, Jack" pose when Star holds her up. This episode starts the running joke of having characters name different things at different times as their favorite/second favorite whatever.

Food for thought: The real reason Marco doesn't eat a brownie is because he'd have been up front with Star about their taste. One of Pony Head's comments to Marco before the game begins makes a lot more sense when you consider her reaction during "Starcrushed." Apparently magical constructs have spell resistance, a fact reinforced by the next episode.

Episode 0209b: Gift of the Card

Star got Marco a Quest Buy gift card for their six-month friendshipaversary, but he doesn't like shopping and especially doesn't like Quest Buy and now it's about to expire. Meanwhile, Miss Heinous hires the bounty hunter RASTICORE CHAOSUS DISASTERVAINE (Original Character Do Not Steal) to get revenge on her archnemesis, Princess Marco. Features special guest star Susan Bennett (aka the voice of Siri).

Fun facts: Rasticore's tracking device is the same model used by Toffee in "Marco Grows a Beard." For that matter, it's all but certain they're both the same race. Miss Heinous' money has a picture of a queen on it. Marco has a Space Unicorn wallet; I guess he gave up on saying "it's supposed to be ironic." The customer service sloth is reading a magazine called "Slow Rider."

Food for thought: The contract is dark purple. I can't help but think that Rasticore is a parody of overpowered fan-made characters and/or 90s comic book antiheroes. The name, the gem eye, the fact he's same race as Toffee, the trying-too-hard gruff voice, the muscular build, the spiky shoulders, the cape, the cyborg arm, the dimensional chainsaw. It also helps that everything that happens to him is a joke that no one told Rasticore.

Episode 0210a: Friend-enemies

Look at that poster. Look at it. Need I say anything? Guest stars Nick Lachey as Love Sentence vocalist Justin Towers.

Fun facts: Official launch of the Tomco ship. And if the poster isn't enough, Tom is eating rainbow-colored ice cream when he first appears. Specifically, it's the pansexual flag colors, although that much detail might be coincidental. Mackie Hand has a name like Jackie Chan, a face like Chuck Norris, and a death like Bruce Lee.

Food for thought: Marco tries to buy two tickets to the marathon; I wonder who else he wants to come? Mackie Hand is to Marco what Mina Loveberry is to Star, which is appropriate since Mina is more of a danger to others while Mackie is more of a danger to himself. Tom proves in this episode that his anger management efforts weren't just a stunt to try and get Star back.

Episode 0210b: Is Mystery

Buff Frog is staking out the mysterious hole the monsters found in "On the Job," but things get complicated fast when a guard discovers his hiding spot.

Fun facts: This is the first episode ever to not feature Marco or Star even a little bit, thereby cementing Buff Frog's status as the show's third protagonist. Star vs. can get away with this because its half-hour blocks mean the lead actors only have to show up in one of the two episodes. Buff Frog's handwriting is not stylized. Meatfork gives Buff Frog a classic "boobs and butt" pose when he flexes for him. Classic in comic books, anyway.

Food for thought: Question: why didn't Buff Frog ask Star and Marco to babysit for him again? Answer: he got Boo Fly to do it.

Episode 0211a: Hungry Larry

Rafael Diaz can't scare a kid to save his life, which is a problem on Halloween. Star tries to help by summoning Hungry Larry, but things don't go the way she expects. Hungry Larry is voiced by Billy West of Futurama fame and the part makes good use of his vocal range.

Fun facts: This is the first spotlight episode for Marco's dad and completes the trifecta of badass dads with River and Buff Frog. Star is dressed as season 1 Ludo, but she added a tail because she supposedly forgot whether he has one or not (he doesn't because he's a kappa-bird). Janna appears to be Frankenstein's Lawyer and I can't help but think it's an off-brand reference to She-Hulk.

Episode 0211b: Spider with a Top Hat

This episode takes us inside the wand, or at least inside the dimension where all of Star's summons hang out when they aren't currently summoned. There, Spider with a Top Hat is the most popular entertainment spell around, but something inside him is just not satisfied with that. Lots of guest stars in this one, including comedians Ron Lynch and Maria Bamford as the married(?) couple.

Fun facts: The crystal piece in the hall's centerpiece is on the right (although some shots put it on the left), as if it were the other side of Star's left-side crystal piece. Spider with a Top Hat always appears during the outro, but he also had a cameo in "The Other Exchange Student." I don't know how many times Narwhal with an Eyepatch appeared, but Star definitely shot him twice during the triple narwhal blast of "Matchmaker" and fired him at "Gustav" in "The Other Exchange Student." The narwhal with a star on her forehead (Starwhal?) is also unique and first appeared in "Star Comes to Earth." Every time Spider with a Top Hat practices (except when he shows off to Narwhal), he takes off his hat. Half the characters in this episode appear for a split second in the season 3 intro. Just like real horses, warnicorns have little sexual dimorphism.

Food for thought: What happens when Star learns a new summon spell? Do they appear in the wand realm and get a big welcoming party? Also, Cloudy is conspicuously absent from the summons chamber. Perhaps that's related to why he was upset at being unsummoned in "Marco Grows a Beard." The same goes for Board Game Star and Marco come to think of it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Once again, solid write-ups! It's always interesting to look back on Season 2, since it's where the show really started diving into having a consistent overall narrative and nearly completely excised the "Monster attack of the week" and "Star doesn't understand an earth thing" formulas that made up most Season 1 episodes. While there's still a handful of those kinds of episodes in Season 2 (Like Star on Wheels), the focus is much more on the relationships between the characters, and that's where the show really shines.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the less i have to think about board game star and marco, the better

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Would someone explain the "Jackie-Lynn is a mermaid" fan theory to me? Is it anything more than a bit of shell-theming on her accessories?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Test Pattern posted:

Would someone explain the "Jackie-Lynn is a mermaid" fan theory to me? Is it anything more than a bit of shell-theming on her accessories?

That's... pretty much it. There was some other circumstantial evidence (The concept art for her costume in the Halloween episode, the 'natural' blue streak in her hair that Star mentions in the guidebook, her initial reaction to Star mentioning she used to live by the river in Just Friends), but there was never anything concrete. Of course, it doesn't matter now anyway, since the show creator torpedoed the theory during a semi-recent fan Q&A :v:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It's almost entirely a 4chan meme done mostly as a joke/to annoy people. There's just enough of a consistent ocean theme to Jackie plus that one weird comment in Just Friends that you can throw together something looking like a theory but there's not a lot of real meat to it.

However someone on tumblr talking about it linked the "How to act like your secretly a mermaid" Wikihow article and now the idea that Jackie is a normal human dork trying to imply that she's secretly a mermaid without saying it in the same way as that article is the funniest thing in the world.

Edit: actually there's also some really old art by Nefcy that's a bunch of mermaids, one that looks almost exactly like Jackie, and all the mermaids have the same kind of eye's she does, which if I remember right she's the only one who's eyes are drawn that way. It's from roughly the same art time period as she was drawing her Star as a normal human who THINKS she's having magical adventures comics I think. So like I wouldn't be surprised it was a thing in some of really early rough drafts as she was working through the concept before pitching it.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 24, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Test Pattern posted:

The shell, the hair streak, her ocean-green dress in "Bon Bon," her comment that she used to live by the river (assuming she wasn't joking), plus the fact that skateboards and surfboards have a lot in common. But as far as proof goes, there's as much of that as there is proof that Oskar is a vampire. As far as anyone knows, the show could be hinting at something, but Jackie could just as easily be a human who likes neon green.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

OH GOD drat IT AM I GOING TO HAVE TO WATCH THIS SHOW TOO?

Bad enough that I got devoured by Steven Universe, now this.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Madurai posted:

OH GOD drat IT AM I GOING TO HAVE TO WATCH THIS SHOW TOO?

Bad enough that I got devoured by Steven Universe, now this.

If it's any consolation, we actually know when the next episode's going to air, unlike SU :v:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If it's any consolation, we actually know when the next episode's going to air, unlike SU :v:

I still can't believe we're getting like two hours of the show in one day as soon it it comes back.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I still can't believe we're getting like two hours of the show in one day as soon it it comes back.

And then it's gone for another month :argh:

Oh well, still better than Gravity Falls' scheduling.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

For now. After July 15th though, who knows.

Anyway, I really like how both Jackie and Oskar are both pseudo-cryptoids, although I'm not sure why. It's just kind of cool how they both have these weird visual motifs that look like they might mean something but don't (probably). It's hard to explain, but I like it

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

However someone on tumblr talking about it linked the "How to act like your secretly a mermaid" Wikihow article and now the idea that Jackie is a normal human dork trying to imply that she's secretly a mermaid without saying it in the same way as that article is the funniest thing in the world.

Holy poo poo if the payoff is Jackie Lynn going "oh man when I was 12 I decided I wanted to he a mermaid, I even spent a weekend living by the water. That feels like so long ago, even though it was just two years." I am going to die laughing.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

That article even has a bit about dyeing your hair blue or some other ocean color and telling people it's natural like it's the perfect punchline to that theory existing.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Edit: actually there's also some really old art by Nefcy that's a bunch of mermaids, one that looks almost exactly like Jackie, and all the mermaids have the same kind of eye's she does, which if I remember right she's the only one who's eyes are drawn that way.
Was the fact that Jacky has actual thighs worked into that theory somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Well if nothing else, the premier's gonna live up to the thread title.