Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Well it is right there in the theme song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
In other news, we apparently have episode titles for each segment of the 2-hour block:

-"Return to Mewni/Moon the Undaunted"
-"Book be Gone/Marco and the King"
-"Puddle Defender/King Ludo"
-"Toffee"

No episode descriptions, and honestly given the very limited glimpses we've gotten in the previews it's hard to speculate how it's going to go down in any case.

On a side note, though, I'm still blown away by how much they're throwing out right off the bat. It's literally a full fifth of the season in a single two-hour block :psyduck:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Acebuckeye13 posted:

On a side note, though, I'm still blown away by how much they're throwing out right off the bat. It's literally a full fifth of the season in a single two-hour block :psyduck:

It's Disney. The scheduling is really weird. But for some arcane reason it always works great and must not be questioned or perturbed. The clusters of new releases might be a hidden message to their dark lord.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It could be worse. Star could release in bomb format.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Senerio posted:

It could be worse. Star could release in bomb format.

I see you're unfamiliar with "Starbruary", AKA "Disney decides to burn off the entire back third of the second season at once"

Still, I lived through Gravity Falls' scheduling, so I do in fact know it could be worse :v:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I see you're unfamiliar with "Starbruary", AKA "Disney decides to burn off the entire back third of the second season at once"

Still, I lived through Gravity Falls' scheduling, so I do in fact know it could be worse :v:

That was right around when I was getting into the show. I think that the day Just Friends came out I was watching the St. Olga's episode.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Now that we've got that out of the way,

NEW INTRO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTYLq7WASC4

Can we all agree that's Eclipsa frozen in the crystal, there?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Madurai posted:

Can we all agree that's Eclipsa frozen in the crystal, there?

Yes, and just in case anyone missed it: you can also see her frozen in crystal in the episode Crystal Clear.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The real twist is that her arm appears to be severed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Considering that the only thing you can see is her outline, whereas you can still see the details of all the other frozen monsters, there's a pretty strong implication that at some point during the season she's gonna manage to escape.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The real twist is that her arm appears to be severed.

I think the implication is that she managed to move her arm, with her glove left behind like stars socks when she got half crystaled that one time but I got no solid evidence for that.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I think the implication is that she managed to move her arm, with her glove left behind like stars socks when she got half crystaled that one time but I got no solid evidence for that.

Well, there's a reason I hedged with "appears to be." But either way, the intro is consistent with her appearance in "Crystal Clear."

Is that light splotch her arm behind her back? It's hard to say for certain.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Huh, could the skeleton arm that Ludo's wand is made from have come from Eclipsa?

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Huh, could the skeleton arm that Ludo's wand is made from have come from Eclipsa?

I think that's Toffee's hand. It's missing half it's finger in the same place his was from where Moon blasted it off (as seen in the banner in the "Grandmas room")

Also finally realized why the new intro feels so off to me; in the original, they time the dance bit right *on* the lyric "good time," hitting that beat hard and feeling like a stark shift. S3 Intro meanwhile has Tom and company start dancing *before* that, so you don't get that sudden "Hah! Nah don't freak out, thing's are cool" shift you do with the other.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Lanz posted:

I think that's Toffee's hand. It's missing half it's finger in the same place his was from where Moon blasted it off (as seen in the banner in the "Grandmas room")

Also finally realized why the new intro feels so off to me; in the original, they time the dance bit right *on* the lyric "good time," hitting that beat hard and feeling like a stark shift. S3 Intro meanwhile has Tom and company start dancing *before* that, so you don't get that sudden "Hah! Nah don't freak out, thing's are cool" shift you do with the other.

It's desynched in general. If you move it like a quarter second forward it works a lot better.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Lanz posted:

It is beyond a doubt Toffee's hand. Aside from the fact that it looks like his hand after he fuses it to Ludo's arm using his regeneration ability, Moon recognizes it instantly when he holds it up for her.

Senerio posted:

It's desynched in general. If you move it like a quarter second forward it works a lot better.

Disney XD's Tumblr has the original version and it's not desynced. The dancing in Tom's coach is still a little early, though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Senerio posted:

Yeah, there are versions that fix the audio, though unfortunately it still doesn't match up to the music nearly as well as the original did. Ah well, it's still pretty good.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Daron confirmed this in a fan Q&A

Edit: If you don't mind potential Season 3 spoilers, this Q&A session with Daron Nefcy is pretty neat, since she goes into a lot of neat behind-the-scenes details and answers a bunch of interesting questions (Such as whether Jackie's a mermaid, what's the deal with Alfonso and Ferguson, etc). There's also a partial transcript available here, if you don't feel like watching the whole 50 minute video.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 28, 2017

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Well, there's a reason I hedged with "appears to be." But either way, the intro is consistent with her appearance in "Crystal Clear."

Is that light splotch her arm behind her back? It's hard to say for certain.

I think the white splotch by her waist is her hand touching the crystal.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So another promo has been spotted and in spite of the garbage recording quality it's a doozy

Well I guess now we know what happened to the previous Queen Butterfly :stare:

Update: Now in non-garbage quality

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 28, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Not to mention the real reason Queen Eclipsa will reemerge. Guess this would also explain why her hand moved since the first time she got crystalized. And with the way Ruberiot keeps showing up in the promos, I'm thinking we might get another song out of Patrick Stump.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
And not three hours later it turns out the clip I just posted is only half of the full trailer that was released today . Pretty sure at this rate we'll be able to piece the entire movie together our of promo clips about a week before it actually airs.

Also, since the promos are starting to get pretty spoiler-heavy, make sure to use tags when talking about the crazier stuff that's starting to pop up, like Toffee falling from the top of Nakatomi Plaza or Star shooting a man in Reno just to watch him die

Edit: Ah sonofabitch it got pulled. Disney! :argh:

Edit edit: New link

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 28, 2017

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The previews are definitely making my hopes of a Marco-light season seem less likely.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Cameo by a young-looking Mina Loveberry in that promo.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Madurai posted:

The previews are definitely making my hopes of a Marco-light season seem less likely.

I mean he is the deuteragonist, it would be weird if he didn't show up much.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

I mean he is the deuteragonist, it would be weird if he didn't show up much.

There just doesn't seem to be much to him, though. Narratively, Marco functions as a big bag of reaction gifs. You could make a better case for Ludo as second protagonist.

From having just binged the whole show (minus a couple of season 1's I missed somehow, have to fix that) there are twin rails that this show runs on, and they are the voice performances of Eden Sher and Alan Tudyk. It's not that Adam McArthur's work as Marco isn't perfectly competent, it's just that it seems by comparison... like an ordinary cartoon character.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Madurai posted:

There just doesn't seem to be much to him, though. Narratively, Marco functions as a big bag of reaction gifs. You could make a better case for Ludo as second protagonist.

From having just binged the whole show (minus a couple of season 1's I missed somehow, have to fix that) there are twin rails that this show runs on, and they are the voice performances of Eden Sher and Alan Tudyk. It's not that Adam McArthur's work as Marco isn't perfectly competent, it's just that it seems by comparison... like an ordinary cartoon character.

I wouldn't say that; Marco has plenty of moments that aren't just reactions to Star's antics. He figured out Quest Buy's organization system in seconds flat, he led the way during the St. Olga's breakout and revolution, he convinced Tom to leave Star alone, he broke Tom's door like it wasn't even there, and when Naysaya showed up he eventually sucked it up and laid out all his insecurities. Not only that, but he and Star have strongly influenced each other over the seasons: Star pushed Marco out of his rut and got him to start taking chances and moving forward, while Marco has inspired Star to act like a better person and face the consequences of her actions instead of avoid them.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This show is pretty funny. Their timing on the visual gags is spot-on.

But I'll be honest, 90% of the reason I gave it a shot was because I found the intro insufferably catchy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wanna have a scene where one of Alan Tudyk's characters does a mocking impression of the other. Either River Butterfly doing Ludo or vice versa, I don't care which, it would just be cute. :3:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Skippy McPants posted:

This show is pretty funny. Their timing on the visual gags is spot-on.

But I'll be honest, 90% of the reason I gave it a shot was because I found the intro insufferably catchy.

So is Marco's ringtone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YW5X1L1-Yo

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

All caught up? Because we're only halfway through and just a few episodes away from the mid-season finale.

Episode 0212a: Into the Wand

When something contaminates Star's wand, Glossaryck takes her inside it to find the thing that doesn't belong.

Fun facts: The contaminated energy is green but opaque and gooey instead of glowing. Glossaryck's fingernail doesn't belong. Queen Moon's first name was well known in the fandom by this point but I think this is the first time anyone says her name in the show. And yes, I'm fairly sure "Moon and River" is yet another reference. Watch the first shot after Star enters school carefully and try to wrap your head around the implications. Marco must be a fan of boy bands in general, because his locker has a sticker for Sev'ral Timez of Gravity Falls. Four of four card suits revealed.

Food for thought: We first see a deformed narwhal in "My New Wand." Does that mean the wand was showing symptoms of contamination before and simply got worse? Eclipsa's "wand" is purple-black. So is Moon's darkest spell. Presumably the Butterfly queens who descend from Eclipsa are children of her first lawful marriage to a Mewman. Although Butterfly cheek marks don't have to be card suits, the suit symbols are prominent throughout the Grandma Room. The stuff that coats the wand in the season 3 promo is purple-black but opaque and gooey instead of glowing.

Episode 0212b: Pizza Thing

Star invites Pony Head over for Friendship Thursday, but Pony Head and Marco continue to get along like oil and water. When Marco goes out for a pizza, Pony Head tags along, and both of them manage to screw things up.

Fun facts: There are actually 53 mushrooms. Listen closely and you can hear pretty much everything the guy on the phone says to Emilio. Mackie Hand is one of the celebrities who visited Emilio's Pizza.

Food for thought: Marco might wear skinny jeans, but those are some skinny skinny jeans.

Episode 0213a: Page Turner

Glossaryck decides to let Star look at the darkest chapter of the Book of Spells (under close supervision), but before he can start he gets a call he can't ignore from the Magic High Commission.

Fun facts: According to the guidebook, Glossaryck created the four permanent members of the High Commission. That would be why he calls them "children." Omnitraxus also has six fingers on each hand. Queen Eclipsa ruled 10 generations before Queen Moon.

Food for thought: For someone who says he has no feelings, that was a pretty spirited response to Star's comments at the end. Also note he uses pink energy. Marco's portal is purple-black.

Episode 0213b: Naysaya

Marco finally works up the courage to ask Jackie-Lynn Thomas out, but doing so triggers a demon curse Tom set after the Blood Moon Ball.

Fun facts: Star put her cheek hearts on her finger puppet. 724/37=19.567 repeating. Marco seems to think Lynn-Thomas is a compound last name, but the guidebook is very clear that Jackie-Lynn is a compound first name. This was probably some miscommunication among the creators, but at least it can be explained in-character as Marco being young and confused when he made the mistake.

Food for thought: I think Star vs. has the chillest jocks to have ever shown up in a cartoon. If Marco has trouble with baths, that would explain his "you never have to bathe alone" comment in "Mr. Candle Cares." When you think about it, Star and Janna heard everything, too.

Episode 0214: Bon Bon the Birthday Clown

Star accidentally double-books herself to go to a dance with Marco and a dead clown séance with Janna. But it's okay since Marco gets a date with Jackie instead. Except it's not really okay after all. And then nothing is okay. Features special guest Tom Kenny doing his Spongebob Squarepants voice as Bon Bon.

Fun facts: Based on the sign and the size of the crowd, the whole town turned out to watch Bon Bon. You can count them. Keep track of every time you see or hear about a rat; all of them are significant. This is the first episode to state Marco's mom's name, Angie. Listen carefully, because this episode is full of callbacks to "Mewberty," "Blood Moon Ball," and "Star on Wheels." The composer, Brian H. Kim, is the singer for "Waiting for Me." The All-Seeing Eye first appeared in "Mewnipendance Day."

Food for thought: Janna's lack of reaction when Marco gets ready for the dance pretty much confirms that she only flirts with Marco because it bugs him. Star powers the spying spell with pink energy, but the border is purple-black shot through with yellow. "No one's at their best when they're...distracted!"

Following "Bon Bon," Disney XD released all the remaining Star season 2 episodes in a big bomb called Starbruary. As such, there's only one official poster for the whole bunch. Still, there are a few semi-official posters for a few of them, so I'll add them if they exist.

Episode 0215a: Raid the Cave

After the fallout of "Bon Bon," Star decides it's time to go after Ludo directly. But when she reaches his hideout, Star doesn't find what she was expecting.

Fun facts: Bubble tea is a Taiwanese/East Asian drink often (but not always) made with tea, milk, and tapioca balls. Star rides to the cave on the warnicorn mare who was screaming "PAIN!" with Rock in "Spider with a Top Hat." Tiara Tornado is from season 1, but Star never used it since the "pirates" of "The Banagic Incident" interrupted her. This episode marks the first time Star dips down for someone other than Marco.

Food for thought: Notice that Star goes to Buff Frog for help even though she isn't aware that he knows where Ludo is. Remember that a certain someone casually put his hand through a Mewni mirror in "Storm the Castle."

Episode 0215b: Trickstar

Star and Marco go to Sensei's birthday party, but there's something fishy about the party magician, Preston Change-O. When she finds out what Preston's hiding, Star has to decide just how far she'll go to prove herself right. Guest stars Weird Al Yankovic as Preston.

Fun fact: StarFan13 and Janna are among the party guests, along with a few other recognizable faces. Henna is a temporary tattoo dye. Star and Marco write (or finish writing) the guidebook in-universe between this episode and the next one.

Food for thought: I wonder if Blaine is Ingrid's father? Evidently yellow magic energy is joy. Compare and contrast Star's actions and motives in this episode to those of "The Other Exchange Student."

Episode 0216a: Baby

Star's parents are concerned by recent events, so they decide that Star should be evaluated on her magic training. Star's efforts to prove herself lead her to cast a spell infused with both pink and green energy, producing a result that neither type could have managed on its own. Baby is voiced by Melissa Rauch, who plays Bernadette on Big Bang Theory.

Fun facts: Narwhal with an Eyepatch shows up again. Both Marco and Rafael have now said, "Wet ceiling?" I haven't been mentioning references since there are way too many to list, but I wanted to point out this time that the green goop banana is probably a reference to Steins;Gate.

Food for thought: What in the multiverse is Baby and how does she compare to Glossaryck? Is she the daughter of someone important? And is there any significance to her cloud being purple-black? And a thought has occurred to me: where did Glossaryck come from, and why is he tied to the Butterfly Book of Spells? Could any spellbook create a similar being if filled with enough magic spells?

Episode 0216b: Running with Scissors

Marco goes scissor happy with Star's dimensional scissors, so their creator, Hekapoo (a member of the Magic High Commission), takes them away. In response, Marco declares that he'll earn them back no matter how long it takes.

Fun facts: Official launch of the Markapoo ship. The episode after Star fails to levitate an apple she's levitating a baseball, so it's clear she's starting to put some serious effort into her magic studies. Lydia and Willowby plus the sailor from "Star vs. Echo Creek" have joined Sensei's mother in the background at the dog park. Hekapoo's name is probably a reference to Hecate, a Greek goddess associated with crossroads and witchcraft. When Hekapoo opens a dozen portals at once, all of them lead to locations within her realm instead of other dimensions. Remember, both the monster black-green and Mewman pink-blue portals lead to Mewni. Nacho's collar has the number 667 on it, possibly a reference to the Blood Moon Ball. The music in this episode is the composer's favorite sequence of season 2. Marco's login image is the Space Unicorn.

Food for thought: During a special live chat event, Marco (in-character) referred to his time in Hekapoo's realm as a long dream, probably to avoid unfortunate implications. Either way, it's clear he spent zero time in romantic relationships, making it natural that he picks up where he left off on that front. That and any self-confidence he had built up must have flown out the window the moment he stepped through the portal and looked down. Finally, his only fight in the rest of season 2 is with an old woman, so it remains to be seen what all he remembers. As it stands, he does display more maturity in future episodes.

Episode 0217a: Mathmagic

Star gets caught in a Groundhog Day loop with a twist that's centered around a math problem. As such, she needs the help of Magic High Commission member Omnitraxus Prime (voiced by Carl Weathers, aka Apollo Creed).

Fun facts: Janna's backwards sentence is "To get to the other side." Her foreign language sentence is the same in French, and I can personally confirm that her pronunciation is terrible. Listing all the episode callbacks would take up too much space, so just pause the episode every now and then to see stuff like Tom, Naysaya, every outfit Star has ever worn, a Zelda reference, and more. Omnitraxus Prime's name is at least a reference to Optimus Prime, leader of the Autobot Transformers.

Food for thought: Considering the way Star began to merge with her alternate selves towards the end, I can only assume that all of them got the same result on the math question. An episode I'd love to see is an alternate universe where Star and Marco never met and we can see how much they've changed each other: Star is undisciplined, spoiled, and possibly evil while Marco is still the same Safe Kid with a green belt, two loser friends, and an unrequited crush on Jackie-Lynn. Omnitraxus Prime sets up a perfect excuse for this episode to happen, so get on it, showrunners! My god, the Crystal Fields are full of...Stars.

Episode 0217b: The Bounce Lounge

Pony Head has discovered that the Bounce Lounge is closing, so she, Star, and Marco get the Bounce Crew back together to try and save it (or at least have one last night of fun). Bounce Crew member Johnny Blowhole is played by Pauly Shore, and Millie Sparkles is played by Constance Shulman, who used to play Patti Mayonnaise on Doug and now plays Yoga Jones on Orange Is the New Black.

Fun facts: This is the first time we've been to the sea bunny ship from the intro sequence, although a couple sea bunnies were at King Butterfly's party in "Royal Pain." Despite what happens to him, enough of the bunny captain survives to join the party at the Bounce Lounge. Johnny Blowhole's first appearance was technically in the first issue of the Star vs. comic series.

Food for thought: Pony Head is insensitive in general, but she honestly has a point when it comes to Kelly and Tad. Star's wand flashes orange when she zaps the bunny captain, but that could just be because she created something orange.

Episode 0218a: Crystal Clear

Star involuntarily meets the last two members of the Magic High Commission, Rhombulus and Chancellor Lekmet, when Rhombulus gets a gut feeling that Star is responsible for the interdimensional fritz.

Fun facts: Marco's woobie is apparently a bunny. Rhombulus gets his name from the rhombus (a reference to his crystalline form) and Romulus, the legendary founder of Rome. Lekmet takes his appearance from the classic goat-demon illustration of Baphomet, but his name is closer to Sekhmet, the Egyptian goddess of protection and healing. Both references are probably intended. Rhombulus is the only being in the show so far who can understand an unintelligible character. A certain somebody from "Into the Wand" appears in the background at one point, but there's something off about her arm.

Food for thought: At least two storyboarders have mentioned that they think Rhombulus and Lekmet are more than just roommates or liege and servant, but it's hard to say just how confirmed this will ever be in the show (assuming they're right). I very much doubt the Star who began season 1 could have been the adult in the room the way she is in this episode.

Episode 0218b: The Hard Way

We finally see what Ludo has been up to recently. Mostly it involves learning to cast new spells with his wand.

Fun facts: This is the second episode to not feature Star or Marco at all. The paper's name is Mewninews. When Ludo practices, the cloud that poofs in the apples is pink, which is not the color Baby's apples used. "What's an imagination?" Ludo asks, having named his pets "Bird" and "Arachnid." When Ludo returns to a childlike state of joy, his season 1 theremin returns. The green swirl first appeared in "Crystal Clear." A character who never laughed once in the first season chortles at the end of this episode.

Food for Thought: "The hard way" last appeared in "My New Wand." Makes me wonder if there are any hidden parallels beyond a thematic link.

Episode 0219a: Heinous

Miss Heinous finally moves directly against Princess Marco, getting his parents involved in the process. Rafael and Angie aren't sure what to make of their son the rebel princess, but they want the disagreement to wrap up before the Morrisons come over for dinner.

Fun facts: Official launch of the Princess Geminarco ship. "Gemini" is probably a pun name based on the gem in his eye. Star's wand glows yellow this time. This episode confirms that complete regeneration is a lizardfolk racial ability (the name of the lizardfolk race, Septarian, has appeared in the guidebook but not in the show). When Heinous makes her first suggestion, she uses the word "annihilate" since that's the verb she was looking for in "St. Olga's." Her sedan is only the second flying car in the series since Hungry Larry left in one at the end of his episode.

Food for thought: Compare Star's plan in this episode with her plan in "Storm the Castle." Funny how Star and Marco manage to count down simultaneously despite being on either side of the house. Consider that Ludo's rise to power seems to parallel Miss Heinous' fall from grace. So are hand mirrors Mewni's tablet computers? Marco's video is subversive in more ways than one if you think about it.

Episode 0219b: All Belts Are Off

When Sensei needs a top student to represent the dojo in front of the How To Karate Grandmaster, he chooses Jeremy over Marco. Marco knows Jeremy is a terrible example of karate virtues, but he has to decide just how far he'll go to prove himself right.

Fun facts: Comparing the colors to Sensei's VHS tapes, Jeremy is the only student with a higher belt degree than Marco. "Sir Racha." The last time Marco tried to break three boards, it didn't go well for him. Sure, he used his hand the first time, but a descending kick is relatively weak. That...stuff is not ice cream. The "Jeremy Is Awesome" song is a rare case of the composer coming up with a joke. The singer is Keith Ferguson, who played Bloo in Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Lord Hater in Wander Over Yonder. Keep in mind the name "Jeremy" is on every wall when you consider how much the Grandmaster really cares.

Food for thought: Does Werewolf Guy just like playing the birthday card or something? Because it hasn't been a year since "Pizza Thing." After everything she's done in the series, it makes sense that Star wouldn't have a problem with Marco acting like a creep. Compare Marco's choice at the end with how he responded to Jeremy in "Monster Arm," "Cheer Up Star," and "The Banagic Incident." I figure Sensei's comment near the end is pointing out that a lot of kids shows use miscommunication between friends to drive the conflict. Hell, TV shows in general.

Episode 0220a: Collateral Damage

Star is feeling down and keeps herself busy by picking up trash at the Echo Creek Academy, but she accidentally uses her wand to ruin the school mascot, a possum statue named Otis. Over the next few days, she desperately tries to make it up to the students and staff with some very obvious parallels to her own situation.

Fun fact: Looks like Mr. Candle is still the school's guidance counselor, which means either he likes the job or Tom wants to keep an eye on Star and Marco.

Food for thought: Star's wand uses blue energy in this episode, and it seems likely that it represents sorrow and regret. If that's the case, what does it say about Moon that blue is her energy of choice? And that Star's wand flashes blue and pink in the season 3 intro? Speaking of which, it looks like Marco has become the exchange student in season 3, so this may have been the last hurrah of Echo Creek Academy. Not that we've seen the last of all its students, but we may have to say farewell to the school itself.

Episode 0220b: Just Friends

Star decides it's high time to include Jackie in her and Marco's fun times together, so she gets them all tickets to see Love Sentence. Nick Lachey returns as Justin Towers.

Fun facts: Marco's shirt is too small while Star's collar is too big, implying she might have mixed up who got which one. All three characters have a "third wheel" moment over the course of the episode, and they each respond differently thanks to their different personalities and relationships. The big kissing moment depicts not one but several same-sex kisses you can see if you pause at the right moments. Many of the couples are ambiguously gendered, so it's hard to say how many there are exactly. Composer Brian H. Kim sings the reprisal at the end of the episode, technically making him one of the other members of Love Sentence.

Food for thought: Was Jackie joking when she said she also lived by the river, or was she serious? And what does that imply about her backstory?

Episode 0221: Face the Music

Star must work with the new court songstrel Ruberiot (voiced by Patrick Stump, vocalist of Fall Out Boy) to create her Princess Song, her official introduction to the people of Mewni. However, Star is far from happy considering all the cheesy, meaningless Princess Songs that came before hers. Meanwhile, Queen Moon has decided it's high time to track down Ludo, so she starts with the people who would know Ludo the best. One of the surprise guests is voiced by Atticus Shaffer, who plays Eden Sher's kid brother in The Middle.

Fun facts: We haven't seen the royal manticores since the first episode. The Forest of Certain Death still bears the marks of Marco's passing. During the Song Day establishing shot, two men with a young daughter pass through the foreground.

Food for thought: The theme of wealth disparity comes roaring back into prominence in this episode. Why do you think Lady Avarius keeps her right eye closed throughout the episode? Is a Disney show actually implying she's in an abusive relationship?

Episode 0222: Starcrushed

It's the end of the school year, but Marco and Star don't feel like celebrating thanks to an awkward moment in Ruberiot's Princess Song. Meanwhile, Queen Moon gathers the Magic High Commission to put a stop to Ludo's rising threat once and for all.

Fun facts: The girl with all the casts is Sabrina, the cheerleader who kept getting into accidents in the first season. I guess Rhombulus can understand any incomprehensible character since he's the one interrogating the rats. Star keeps getting inspired by photographs. Marco is good at catching food in his mouth because he spent a year practicing with "Gustav." All things considered, Star indirectly saves her mother's life. In some sense, Oskar's keytar does reach Mars: Marco's name comes from Marcus, which (probably) comes from the Roman god of war.

Food for thought: Thanks to Star, Marco has gone from being "the Safe Kid" with two lame friends to hosting one of the biggest end-of-school parties in Echo Creek. How did Oskar get his car onto the roof of the Stop 'n Slurp? It's interesting how Marco and Jackie act and think differently but Marco and Star think the same, even when they say different things. Jackie is the only major character to not have any real character flaws, but her odd intensity during the mind-reading scene makes me think there may be more to her than "chill skater chick." If pink is best at creation and green is best for destruction, I would hazard a hypothesis that blue is telekinesis/force magic while yellow is for healing. You can hear a prepared piano under the last two notes of the fight scene music.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

This is my favorite... whatever you call these art cards. It's such a good drawing. That's all I have to say

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Macaluso posted:

This is my favorite... whatever you call these art cards. It's such a good drawing. That's all I have to say

I totally agree. It feels really dynamic and energetic.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Wanna have a scene where one of Alan Tudyk's characters does a mocking impression of the other. Either River Butterfly doing Ludo or vice versa, I don't care which, it would just be cute. :3:

Getting a one-on-one scene between two characters you voice has got to be a highlight for any voice actor.

I presume they refer to it as, 'doing a Billy West'.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jul 5, 2017

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Skippy McPants posted:

Getting a one-on-one scene between two characters you voice has got to be a highlight for any voice actor.

I presume they refer to it as, 'doing a Billy West'.

Dee Bradley Baker has done multiple episodes (one of ATLA, a bunch of Clone Wars) that are just him talking to himself.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Like 90% of Looney Tunes are Mel Blanc talking at himself

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The dirty secret of the VO community is that there's only, like, five of them at any given time.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Looking forward to a July 15th good time, pfft so much for caring about GoT premier.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I was excited, and then crushed when I realize that they changed the animation but not the song.

I'm glad I gave this show a chance -- once the humor gets character-driven it's great, despite the early, excessively manic episodes -- but I nearly turned it off as soon as the OP started for the first time.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I was excited, and then crushed when I realize that they changed the animation but not the song.

I'm glad I gave this show a chance -- once the humor gets character-driven it's great, despite the early, excessively manic episodes -- but I nearly turned it off as soon as the OP started for the first time.

I did turn it off the first time I watched it, way back when they'd only aired the first couple episodes. I'd watched the first episode and liked it, but not enough to keep with the show, and it was only after hearing a friend talk about it back in February that I decided to give it another shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Also, we now have an official promo poster for the TV movie: