Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
that is the point, meteora and toffee are very clearly issues that magic caused being fixed by more magic. There is a king and a queen and everyone lives in poverty and the monsters are treated as subhuman. Royalty has godlike power but literally in all of history all that gets used for it to blow up things that are either caused by magic or are threats to magic.

Like it's like jenna just randomly showing up and that just being played as a cartoony joke until later where they actually ask "why was jenna here?", the show paints crapsack conditions everyone lives in as a cartoony gag but it's something serious, the world they live in actually seriously sucks. Magic hasn't made it any better and continuously makes it worse. None of the magic council are actually helping anything they control. all the problems just go in circles and everything is just going around and around and not actually getting better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

that is the point, meteora and toffee are very clearly issues that magic caused being fixed by more magic. There is a king and a queen and everyone lives in poverty and the monsters are treated as subhuman. Royalty has godlike power but literally in all of history all that gets used for it to blow up things that are either caused by magic or are threats to magic.

Like it's like jenna just randomly showing up and that just being played as a cartoony joke until later where they actually ask "why was jenna here?", the show paints crapsack conditions everyone lives in as a cartoony gag but it's something serious, the world they live in actually seriously sucks. Magic hasn't made it any better and continuously makes it worse. None of the magic council are actually helping anything they control. all the problems just go in circles and everything is just going around and around and not actually getting better.

Also, the implication of the ending seems to be that magic is what was keeping the dimensions apart in the first place.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Magic didn't do any of that though. Like I get that's what they were going for, but it was pulled off very poorly. Magic was represented by literal puppies and rainbows.

The show never made a connection between "everyone on Mewni lives in dirt poverty" and "star can conjure a friendly pink cloud with a magic wand"

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A better conclusion would be "the royal family is keeping all the magic to themselves" which is what would have actually made sense given everything in the rest of the show. Star merges the magic dimension with Mewni or whatever and now nobody is starving because everyone knows the spell Conjure Corn

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
More grandly the point of the show was that the old flawed systems need to go away. That even if you make fantasy football integrated that everyone was already racist still going to be a racist and at some point all you can do is set up the change and have the people that come after you actually make a better world.

That the power structure the world had was just someone going "eeny meeny miney moe" and handing rule by divine right of baby rattle to some random lady. The magic council all either abused their powers or seemed to do nothing. glosserick was some eternal all powerful god that switched sides on a whim. ludo is the monsters getting magic and he is just too dumb and crazy to do any better than the butterflies. But so would virtually anyone else. Star also creates awful things with her magic, just not yet on a big scale because she's only had magic for like a year, but she already has firstborn turning into a scary skeleton slime horse corrupting all magic (AGAIN).

Like the idea is that it's not just the age of kings and queens was totally right but we just needed to find star and marco to be the perfect queens, but that the whole idea was garbage. no more kings, no more queens, no more magic wands. Changing the world means getting rid of the things that made the past bad, not thinking you'd be the one to finally figure it out and make it good for once.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

E: ignore me

I missed a page

Sockser fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 29, 2019

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.tvinsider.com/781574/star-vs-the-forces-of-evil-season-5-starco-marco-adam-mcarthur

If only I had his confidence in online petitions

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah if online petitions worked that well then no show in the past decade would have ended. At least no cartoon show, even the shittiest cartoons seem to get dedicated fanbases.

Also I never recognized Adam McArthur as the XD guy but I guess 5-second voice snippets are different from him affecting a voice on an actual show

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 30, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
So now that the show is over what the heck was going on with the constant jackie is a mermaid stuff (and to a lesser extent "oscar is a vampire" which kinda feels like was just a joke). What was the original plan for that anyway? It's such a weird element that they brought up so many times without it ever being anything.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So now that the show is over what the heck was going on with the constant jackie is a mermaid stuff (and to a lesser extent "oscar is a vampire" which kinda feels like was just a joke). What was the original plan for that anyway? It's such a weird element that they brought up so many times without it ever being anything.

I think those were just fan theories and not actual things

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Xelkelvos posted:

I think those were just fan theories and not actual things

well oscar had visible fangs and jackie like, had a million mermaid references, had natural blue green hair, had the same symbol star had in the alternate universe where she was a mermaid, and blurted out that she used to live in a river

edit: her first date with marco was going to a movie about a man who was dating a seamonster

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 30, 2019

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Probably the same deal with Robbie having a zombie thing going on in Gravity Falls.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Probably the same deal with Robbie having a zombie thing going on in Gravity Falls.

I took that as just generic jokes on him being gothy.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
A bit late, but finally watched the finale. Eh? So.. all the realms merged or is there now like some inbetween world with everything mixed? It's really unclear.

And at the school did we ever see anything again from the Teacher turned Troll?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think she showed up again, but I imagine her dating prospects are probably better now.

The show really focused more on giving Star and Marco their happy ending than wrapping up the extended cast or wrapping up the setting.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think it works/worked better that way, leave things open-ended. I mean, exploring the larger far-reaching effects of merging the realms is a fun thought exercise, but I feel like the whole point of that being the end was basically saying that it's a whole new world full of possibility, and all these crazy kids need to learn to live in it is each other; the Power of Love conquers all, etc, etc. Putting a neat little bow on the other characters or the world kind of undermines the sense of wonder/intrigue the merged new world is supposed to present. At least, that's how I read it.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

TwoPair posted:

Power of Love
Bless you, sir.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://old.reddit.com/r/StarVStheForcesofEvil/comments/chvtan/users_of_rstarvstheforcesofevil_i_am_happy_to/ Daron Nefcy AMA on the 3rd

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And it's over

quote:

Myself, Daron Nefcy, the creator and show runner of Star vs the Forces of Evil will answer your questions! Along with; Adam McArthur- the voice of Marco! u/ShmarcoShmiaz , Dominic Bisignano- writer, director and supervising producer! u/svengali_deck and surprise guest, Aaron Hammersley! Also writer, director and supervising producer! u/ahammersley1
https://www.reddit.com/user/Daron_Nefcy/
https://www.reddit.com/user/ShmarcoShmiaz
https://www.reddit.com/user/svengali_deck
https://www.reddit.com/user/ahammersley1

Notable bits:

Daron: Toffee was a historian and researched the Butterfly family like no one ever had before. He used his powers for evil. He's been leaning about magic for a very long time. The skulls Toffee was wearing was Butterfly family members of the royal court he killed.

Someone: What even is a warnicorn?
Daron: Its a unicorn that needs the blood of its enemies to survive.

Someone: Were all dimensions cleaved, or was just Earth and Mewni cleaved?
Daron: Just Earth and Mewni!

Someone: Is doop doop Alive
Daron: Nope nope
(troubling implications for spider & pals)

Daron: To be honest we tried to write the Monster Arm return episode many times and we could never really get it to work! I believe it's still in Marco still might emerge someday.

Someone: Does marco still have the princess turdina costume?
Adam: Of course he does! It's not a costume. AND it still fits :)
(🤔)

Someone: How come Marco’s cheeks lit up as moons instead of nachos for example? Were they connected to Celena or the original Butterflies in some way?
Adam: I love the idea of Nacho cheek marks! I think they were moons because the same magic that flowed through Celena flowed through Marco.
(not elaborated on at all)

Adam: Dave was just a regular old Mewman who worked as a Barista at the coffee shop Lady Lucitor frequented. She tipped well and he fell in love. The end.

Dominic: Marco isn’t in Star’s tapestry because he was supposed to be back on earth, but those crazy kids altered the universe, changing the future.

Aaron: Angie is a teacher and poet. Rafael is an artist. Here's an easter egg for you: in the season 1 episode "Cheer up Star", I added a painting in the shed which is actually a famous Van Gogh painting that had been stolen and has never been recovered. So, either Rafael is an art thief or he paints replicas of stolen paintings.

Also the whole cast really wants you to harass Disney into letting them make more Star content

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Macro's dad living a double-life as a legendary art thief is the best tidbit in there and is now canon.

Edit: also, genocide ending confirmed. All that ruminating the show did on who were the real monsters and turns out it was Star all along!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 4, 2019

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, this does not reflect well on Star's already highly questionable decision

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

But it is very consistent with her character, at least. When Star decides to do a thing, she does it as hard as possible regardless of whether or not the said thing is advisable or even good. I remember feeling the same way during the end of Avatar when Aang risks millions of lives to preserve his conscience. It was monumentally stupid and selfish, but he's thirteen and good-natured to a fault so fully in-character.

I think my only disappointment is that, like Avatar, this show doesn't even address the negative consequences of the choice. I mean, yeah, it is a kid's show but if they pull something that dark, then I don't think that gets them off the hook for not engaging with it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skippy McPants posted:

I think my only disappointment is that, like Avatar, this show doesn't even address the negative consequences of the choice. I mean, yeah, it is a kid's show but if they pull something that dark, then I don't think that gets them off the hook for not engaging with it.

Well, the show ended before they got the chance.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Tetracube posted:

Someone: Were all dimensions cleaved, or was just Earth and Mewni cleaved?
Daron: Just Earth and Mewni!

Wait. Cleaved means to separate, does it not?

Is he saying it was only Earth and Mewni that merged in the finale because they were returning to a state from before magic separated them?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's counter-intuitive, but "to cleave" can also mean to stick with someone or something, i.e. I cleave to the left of the political spectrum.

The final episode, Cleaved Together is referring to Star and Macro, and also their respected worlds both being stuck together. Hardly the common usage, but writers like to get pithy with their titles.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Glossaryck actually explained this after Toffee destroyed the wand the first time, mentioning that Cleaving is an interesting verb because you can cleave something apart or cleave it together.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They seemed to dodge a lot of questions about the finale but then again since basically everybody said they left it open for any sort of potential sequel/revival series I guess it wouldn't be good to spell out the fates of every single character and thing.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Oh right. I’d totally forgotten the episode’s actual title. And Glossaryk’s comments. And the biblical usage I.E. “cleave unto.”

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CaptainCrunch posted:

Is he saying it was only Earth and Mewni that merged in the finale because they were returning to a state from before magic separated them?

That's Daron and the implication is that star and marco merged earth and mewni with The Power Of Love

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It just feels really arbitrary how some creatures are magic and some aren't regardless of how many supernatural powers they have or whether they're part of some otherwise fundamental force of the universe. It establishes a separation that was in no way clear beforehand, and it kinda makes some things seem shallow if it turns out it was all a farce to maintain the power of the Mewni royalty.

And again, a number of characters that just cease to be, rather than just be depowered or go off with Glossaryk to parts unknown. It's a really weird note to end on.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It seems weird that they had Heckapoo just like, stop existing and be totally cool with that, instead of just... I dunno having her flame go off and then just become mortal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Macaluso posted:

It seems weird that they had Heckapoo just like, stop existing and be totally cool with that, instead of just... I dunno having her flame go off and then just become mortal.

Well why would she live when Ommitraxus and Rhombulus did not and they all share the same origin.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In the end it feels like they wanted a "don't think about it too much" finale but didn't realize that a not-insignifcant portion of their fanbase was grown people who were definitely gonna think about it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

And again, a number of characters that just cease to be, rather than just be depowered or go off with Glossaryk to parts unknown. It's a really weird note to end on.

I think the distinction is between magical creatures like Ponyhead and creatures created by magic like the High Commission or Wand Spells. The former get to keep on existing, while the latter... don't.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

I think the distinction is between magical creatures like Ponyhead and creatures created by magic like the High Commission or Wand Spells. The former get to keep on existing, while the latter... don't.

The laser puppies were created by magic but are stated to still be around, just as non-laser puppies. No magic is a land of contrasts.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh right the puppies, yeah okay. I guess the distinction is "things we thought the audience might notice/care about."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess I sure hope that a number of supernatural entities have lost their supernatural abilities since now there isn't any magic to keep them in check. Like if the regenerating lizardmen decided to start another undying army, that'd sure be a problem. It'll already be hard enough to deal with the literally hostile wilderness.

And at the same time, a whole lot of Mewni's infrastructure relied on magical-seeming things. Their cell phones, Lavado's washing machine, and they even sure seemed like they relied on regular access to other dimensions.

Skippy McPants posted:

I guess technically they still exist, but they've been reduced to component pieces? Rhombulus is a rock and some no-longer-sentient snakes, and Omnitraxxus's skull is still there. Perhaps Heckapoo had some kind of non-magical component as well.

I will say they did an interesting job of setting up the fact that neither Star or Marco wanted to give up their families and worlds while wanting to be together, it's just annoying that the writers didn't think the audience would have any feelings for the magical extended cast. They could've cut them some slack just like they cut some slack for the "magical" extended cast.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Tetracube posted:

That's Daron and the implication is that star and marco merged earth and mewni with The Power Of Love

D'awww. Mr. Lewis would be so proud.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
finally got to watch the last season. i would be completely okay with a legend of korra style revival series, my only worry is we already got giant kaiju robots in the season 4 finale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Heckapoo seemed okay with ceasing to exist, probably because she's been around for thousands of years and possibly even longer in relative time than the rest of the MHC because she makes her home in the time-goes-fast dimension. She's probably seen and done pretty much everything.

I think the show pretty clearly used up most of the ideas they had by season 4, it was about time to wrap it up. Not the neatest conclusion, but it's still a bit of a novelty for a cartoon to get a conclusion at all, so hey.

Star and Tom's relationship seemed like it was handled realistically in that it wasn't so much about chemistry as convenience; initially they had a tumultuous relationship because Tom was still a bad-tempered bad boy with superficial appeal, and Star is almost literally a manic pixie dream girl, and their character development later on in the show has to come to terms with their negative personality traits and gain more maturity. By the time they've reconciled, being in a relationship again is basically convenient; it's a socially acceptable match since they're the same social class and from historically allied kingdoms, they like each other and get along, and come to share the same friend circle, but they eventually realise they don't actually have a romantic attraction anymore. There's definitely a lot of relationships that just continue to exist basically because at least one partner figures it's better to be in a relationship than not to be in one. (or as the song goes, breaking up is such a faff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pGkY_RHJIs )