Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I've had another couple of thoughts.

So I didn't know what to call these things before, but then I realized the show has already used a word that would be perfect for them.

Gargoyle. Star mistakes Willowby for a gargoyle when she sees her head, and this causes her to flinch. She later asks Mina if they'd be battling gargoyles or demons as if either one would be an obvious choice.

What if Marco isn't the sun in this mural? What if the Blood Moon dance really was "meant" for Tom? With his control over fire, he would make a much more appropriate sun than Marco. Star also says "Since we're both royalty, there's sorta this pressure for us to be together" in Tom's section of the guidebook. What if that pressure comes from more than just keeping the bloodlines pure? What if Toffee isn't, as he believes, the only being to know about this prophecy?

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

What, you thought I wouldn't keep these things going? Of course I would! A month is long enough to wait, right?

Episode 0301a: Return to Mewni

While Marco has completely fallen to pieces following Star's sudden exit from his life, Star and Moon must press on and visit the Royal Sanctuary to revive the Magic High Commission. Unfortunately, Toffee's ongoing corruption of Mewni magic has accelerated following the Commission's defeat and it's making things increasingly hard for the royal pair.

Fun facts: You might be fooled for a moment when you see the end-of-school decorations up, but all the exterior decorations are gone and the balloons are half-deflated, which means a few days must have passed since the last episode. I can personally attest that unflavored oatmeal does indeed taste like empty nothingness. Captain Blanche's Sugar Seeds is the brand Star tried to eat in "Crystal Clear." Star has a box of inferior Sparkle Cereal in the coach. The little red wagon is named the Butter Flyer. The ceiling carving in the Sanctuary shows people bowing down to Glossaryck. We only see three flowers in the sanctuary, but the wellspring has five spouts.

Food for thought: Do you think the hoodie Star wears is the one Marco misplaced in "Into the Wand?" Star ambushing the rats seems reckless even for her, but I imagine she just really needed a win at that point. Star keeps putting on wide-brimmed hats, much like the one Eclipsa wears.

Episode 0301b: Moon the Undaunted

At Star's request, Moon relates the events of how she made a deal with Eclipsa to defeat Toffee, the monster who killed her mother. Eclipsa is voiced by Esmé Bianco, best known as Ros from Game of Thrones.

Fun facts: Moon's mother is unnamed, but she has butterfly symbols on her cheeks. Count Mildrew is the man Aunt Etheria mentioned was still single in "Game of Flags." The lock is still in place on the Forbidden Chapter and Moon has to speak to Eclipsa herself to learn a spell, which implies that she wasn't allowed to read it when she was "about Star's age." The green lizard is clearly a younger Rasticore. Moon doesn't flinch: she aims for the finger on purpose, presumably so she won't free Eclipsa by killing Toffee. The stipulation is "once your enemy is killed," so she'll remain frozen if he dies a natural death. The marks on Toffee's shoulder skulls are spades and diamonds, but since Butterfly cheek marks are on skin and not bone he probably painted them on. Toffee addresses Moon with "Hello, Princess," probably as an insult since he knows full well she's queen now. Moon's confrontation with Toffee looks nothing like her tapestry, but then the winners write the history books (and design the tapestries). The monster leader bows to Moon at the end.

Food for thought: Omnitraxus' crystal ball rig looks like it runs on VCR technology, so it makes sense that it's the same in what's presumably the early to mid-90s. The alicorn stained glass window may be a reference to My Little Pony. Glossaryck's response to Moon's mother's death doesn't line up with what he says to Star about "having no feelings," but it does line up with the fact that he uses pink (love) magic. Every bit of Eclipsa's magic is purple-black. There may have been other ways to destroy Toffee for good, but then Eclipsa would have a very good reason to tell Moon that she has to make a magical contract to get the job done. Moon wears no gloves with her battle gear when she's young, but she always wears elbow-length gloves as an adult, which could mean the marks on her arms remained there for the rest of her life. There's one shot of her without them and without marks in "Mr. Candle Cares," but that could be a case of retconning. The monsters' sudden retreat seems like an easy ending, but it's perfectly in line with the behavior of Ludo's minions.

Episode 0302a: Book Be Gone

Ludo wakes up after the battle against the Commission knowing nothing about what happened or about how Toffee can now possess him at will. He meets up with Glossaryck, whom Toffee ordered to hide earlier, and when he hears "he" won the battle he decides to write it down in the Book of Spells. However, the Book of Spells has other ideas.

Fun facts: Bird's t-shirt and takeout bag match the logo for Britta's Tacos, which is the last place we saw Ludo's animals. Mina shows up for a split second during the temple devastation panning shot. How long she's been there and what she's up to are unknown, but the temple's surroundings (seen in "Face the Music") do resemble the last shot of "Starstruck." Between this and "Ludo in the Wild," it's clear Ludo's head can be used as a flotation device. Mewni's Waterfolk don't clean up after themselves, which is why the water during Ludo's march is full of trash. The march also shows deer-sheep, sheep-cows, and a mermaid skeleton with some very red hair.

Food for thought: Ludo's struggles with the book help this episode match up with the fact that several days pass between "Starcrushed" and "Return to Mewni." Toffee's corruption of Mewni magic doesn't seem to make it useless so much as it makes it useless for everything except green spells. This is not the last time we see a brown sphere with a golden glow during The Battle for Mewni, and that fact implies that Toffee is not the only character planning for the endgame (and also that Glossaryck knows exactly what he's doing throughout this episode).

Episode 0302b: Marco and the King

Between Moon's instructions to keep the kingdom happy and safe and his own coping mechanisms, King River has decided to party nonstop until Moon gets back. He only realizes the error of his ways when Marco shows up, having found the Sugar Seeds and decided to use them as an excuse to try and see Star. Unfortunately, between River's exhausting parties and Toffee's corruption de-powering the kingdom's protective spells, Mewni is unprepared to deal with an approaching kaiju monster.

Fun facts: Apparently Moon doesn't always take off her makeup before going to sleep. Ruberiot is alive and well despite fans' fears to the contrary. You can see a few people already tired of River's parties in the first sequence. River grabs the mascot head because the monkey pulls off part of his beard. Comes in handy, too. "Foolduke" = "Fooled You." Pay attention to River's arms during the monster perspective shot. River uses both "he" and "she" pronouns to refer to the monster since his/her gender is ambiguous and unknown.

Food for thought: I feel like episode 0302 should be called "Alan Tudyk's Emotional Breakdown." Presumably the fact that Battle for Mewni was marketed and presented as a single movie is how they got away with not giving Star a single line in this or "Book Be Gone."

Episode 0303a: Puddle Defender

When corrupted green magic overwhelms the Sanctuary, Star and Moon need to find a new place to lay low. Star realizes that Buff Frog's place would be the perfect spot, but it means that Moon must confront her issues with monsters.

Fun facts: The one bag left in the vending machine is Triangle Food, a callback to "Party with a Pony." Based on what Buff Frog says, Star has sat for the Buff Babies several times since "Starsitting."

Food for thought: According to the live chat that happened after the movie, Star spent two weeks at the Sanctuary. Add a few days before and after and the whole Battle for Mewni probably took just under a month. Once again we see that while most Mewni magic is fading, green magic is more powerful than ever. Presumably Moon is more prejudiced against monsters than most Mewmans because of what happened to her mother.

Episode 0303b: King Ludo

Ludo, having successfully conquered Castle Butterfly, is having trouble adjusting to his new role and responsibilities. Meanwhile, Marco works on an escape plan for him and King River, but River doesn't seem to think he's worth the effort.

Fun facts: In her framed photo, Moon blinked. River's "first rule of chess" and the last thing he tells Marco are deliberate bookends. Pay attention to the royal bedroom vent when you first see it; things are not how they're supposed to be. It's obvious when she speaks why the mime chose a silent profession, but then I probably wouldn't sound much better with a handkerchief rope stuffed down my throat. If you watch the key, the moment comes when Foolduke knocks both Ludo and Ruberiot down in one leap.

Food for thought: Why did that one rat eat a hole into its pancake? River could have led his people in a resistance movement, but he's probably still feeling down on himself after "Marco and the King" (plus the fact that he lost to Ludo at all). King River was confused and amazed by a toilet in "Royal Pain," so he presumably found out what it was for and had a solid gold toilet installed for his own use in the months between the two episodes. The dungeon sure has a lot of escape routes.

Episode 0304: Toffee

The events of the previous three episodes come to a head as Ludo grows increasingly mad, Star infiltrates the castle looking for her father, Marco attempts to make the artists do something useful, and Toffee's master plan reaches its final phase.

Fun facts: The elevator music is an easy-listening version of "Great King Ludo Is Great" from the last episode. Star may have learned how to levitate objects since "Baby," but she clearly hasn't learned the spell's name. "See that? Me! ME!" Ludo shouts, pointing at a banner that bears Toffee's distinctive missing finger. We actually saw River go through "way worse" than a Levitato spell during "Camping Trip." Ludo misspells "wand." Toffee greets Star with the same "Hello, Princess" he said to Moon. When Moon tries to use Star's wand, it fails because a) she's trying to cast a purple spell when magic has been corrupted by green energy and b) the wands are connected and the spirit that rose from Ludo's hand was the Italian Stallion from "Storm the Castle." As such, neither wand has a power source at that particular moment. Also, Toffee no longer has a heart.

Food for thought: Once again Star and Marco independently had the same idea, but I like the quiet touch that Marco did a much better job crafting his disguise than Star. Based on what happened last time, Star's skeleton is probably among the wreckage. While it's not explicit, this episode remains in line with the theory that yellow energy represents joy and healing (healing because Toffee has become a lizard-shaped pile of corrupted goo).

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 17, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

Star would totally be the type to recover her own skeleton and hang it up in her room, maybe talk to it every now and again.

Also, I was half expecting Rasticore to join in.

I was expecting their roles to be reversed since Rasticore is the tryhard between the two.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I really don't care about Jarco or whatever, but I like Jackie as a character and I hope she doesn't just get written off the show.

I hope she develops and/or reveals a character flaw; that's been bugging me ever since I noticed it. Pretty much every character with even a fraction of Jackie's screen time has at least one significant flaw, but the worst you can say about Jackie is that she's maybe a bit too big into skateboarding and she's way more chill than Marco probably deserves. And neither of those are significant enough flaws that she would need to work on improving herself.

I'm not saying I want Jackie taken down a peg or anything, I just get the feeling that the she (and by extension the showrunners) is hiding something, and I'm curious what it is. It'd actually be pretty amazing if it turned out to be that fan theory that she's a wannabe mermaid-in-disguise, especially if she later (or in the same episode) went to visit the Mewni Waterfolk and got disenchanted by how they're a bunch of regular slobs.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Between this show and Steven Universe I'm getting really tired of bomb formats, but at least we've got a date for the new episodes now.

Also hey, Glossaryck's back

Looks like he has little pink wings now. And I think I may be getting that alternate reality episode I was hoping for because I'm pretty sure Rhombulus with a missing right nipple fired on a Rhombulus with a missing left nipple.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

11/13: Princess Turdina

Marco meets Pony Head's family in his princess role? Can't wait.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Lupus Rufus posted:

did i hear Ashley Burch at the end of that trailer saying "Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to."?

It was Janna. Probably out of context, because misleading the fans is the creators' favorite pastime.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

To be fair, Mabel got really awful towards the end of that show. I don't think Dipper was a perfect guy but he was better than Mabel.

Specifically he said she started as the best character and ended as the worst, which is fairly accurate.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Macrame_God posted:

If I've learned anything from Star Vs YouTube videos it's that Star has a huge following amongst Spanish speaking audiences. I'm legitimately curious how that came about.

One of the protagonists is Hispanic and the show makes no secret of his Mexican heritage. It's not hard to connect the dots.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Sir Lavabo of the Wash is even more amazing than the preview made him out to be.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Meanwhile, Brian H. Kim posted three tracks from the new episodes, including one for the Hoodie Chase.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I have to say, I was not expecting Eclipsa to return to Castle Butterfly with so little fanfare.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah seriously, I was convinced it was going to be a shot of Eclipsa. Maybe there's a new villain that they haven't revealed yet? Maybe if Star springs Eclipsa after the trial it'll be the Magic High Commission? Toffee/Ludo feels like an obvious placeholder, but I have no idea what for.

I would love for the opening to continuously evolve as the status quo changes because that would be the ultimate joke on the people who made a big deal out of that con leak.

Edit: Oh yeah, and good news for people who buy the episodes on Amazon, because the Battle for Mewni set is updating with the new episodes.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Corte posted:

Updated OP looks great. Did they change the design for Eclipsa? I feel like she looked taller and thinner in the episode but perhaps I'm mistaken. So far I am not down with Star moving back to Mewni and hope it doesn't last. I'm still enjoying the show immensely and and appreciate maybe it makes sense for progressing the story but I feel it's at its best when Marco and Star are having misadventures.

She just looks that way because they finally got her out of that poofy dress and giant hat.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

It would be a real trip if after all the creepy buildup it turns out Moon is the main season three villain.

Meanwhile, Marco is going through adventure withdrawal. And I told you guys Janna's quote was lifted out of context.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Look, it's all quite simple. Monsters are the creatures the Mewmans displaced to build their kingdoms and grow their corn. Demons, Pigeons, Waterfolk, Pony Heads, and whatever Princess Jaggs is (I figure she's from the Jaggy Mountains if nothing else) are not Monsters because they were not displaced. So it's okay to date them and intermarry because they don't have centuries of bad blood between them.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Oh man, Marco and Tom awkwardness right from moment one of today's episode, although it doesn't hold a candle to the Marco-Star awkwardness of him showing up almost literally out of the blue. Also, Sir Lavabo returns and we get a brief cameo by Shmebulock during this season's Quest Buy episode.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

What does it say about this show that, four episodes later, this comic seems more likely instead of less?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Add in some heavy stakes that force them to grow up in a hurry and a rotating cast that regularly experience permanent injuries and deaths and I'd watch a spin-off.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

Also I'm not terribly sympathetic to Higgs. The show having Higgs screw around with Marco for ten minutes then treat Marco like a bad guy when he makes her plant on her face was a bad evocation of a trope I dislike, where the bullied nerd gets revenge on the bully and everyone treats the nerd like a bad guy because he hurt someone's feelings.

That was a subversion, though, since Marco is right and Higgs is faking. Star only takes pity on Higgs because she doesn't care about the armor wax either way, and their conversation afterwards is about how what the other squires think doesn't matter.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Between "Princess Turdina" and the last three half-episodes from last week, it looks like Marco's the one getting the season-long character arc. Instead of Star always running from her problems, we've got Marco and his self-worth issues.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is nice that they acknowledged the double standards Mewmans have with 'monsters' vs other obviously nonhuman/mewman people, and that, like real life prejudice, it's arbitrary and more based on history and ignorance than any real hard rules.

That and the fact that the foremost scientific expert on Monsters thinks of them as particularly clever tool-using animals rather than equals. It's played for laughs, but that was a prevailing view once upon a time.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Imagine going back a couple years and telling someone that the "evil" in the title of this new show about a magical princess who fights monsters is actually going to turn out to be racism and imperialism.

Star vs the Forces of Evil: Come for the :sparkles: stay for the thorough deconstruction of Manifest Destiny

I dunno, I think they might believe you if you show up after "Lobster Claws" and "Mewnipendence Day." And that's the best part: Nefcy and company have been patiently waiting for years and multiple season renewals to tell this story.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Holy crap, the implications of today's episodes.

Queen Eclipsa wants Star to embrace her butterfly superform (like how Glossaryck told Marco to just go with it during Mewberty) while her parents have no idea how to even handle such a thing. The captain painting that warned Marco about the Blood Moon Ball turns out to be a secret passage only Eclipsa knows about. Tad and (indirectly) Tom are forcing Marco to understand his feelings, complete with another sad 50s song by BHK.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 14, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I guess my thesis is this: Magic made Mewni Intellectually lazy, and the people have been stuck in a permanent dark age because of that.

Congratulations, you've just discovered what makes Toffee a sympathetic villain.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I'd say he might have started a sympathetic villain, right up until he killed Moon's mom. After that he kind of spiraled into outright villainy, y'know, what with starting a plan to systematically destroy all magic in Mewni/the universe(?), murdering several magic-related creatures and attempting to kill a teenage princess who hadn't really done anything wrong.

"Villain with a sympathetic cause" would probably be the better way of putting it. Right problem to address, wrong means of addressing it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Today's episode seems like a breather compared to yesterday's plot stuff. Not that it doesn't get crazy at the Pigeon Kingdom or with Pony Head's sisters, who it turns out are as intense as she is in their own special ways. I now understand why King Pony Head would try to ship at least one of them off to reform school.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

The hoodie thing seemed passive aggressive and didn't Marco breathe a sigh of relief when Kelly offered to get him away from Tom? They outright said they hated each other in Friendemies, not in an aggressive way, but more in a "I can tolerate you, but that's it," sort of way. Weird acquaintances maybe, but I never saw them as friends.

The hoodie thing was Star's idea. And now that I think about it, why did she think to dress her boyfriend up in Marco's iconic hoodie? For a beach party? It comes off as disrespectful since we see it from Marco's perspective, but what's been going on in Star's head?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

And here people thought Kelly would be Marco's rebound. Nope!

Also, I love Miss Heinous' taste in music.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Of course, while it was only a start - it was a good start. It was overall a melancholy episode, but with a undercurrent of hope - that when the old guard finally piss off and stop trying to get in the way of the future of Mewni, the youth will have a good shot at making this happen. After all, everyone at the party was trying to make things work, despite the obvious awkwardness - it wasn't until tensions started to build that old arguments bubbled to the surface. I also like Spiderbite pointing out explicitly what is wrong with Mina - she is a genuine monster,
by our definition. Not categorised by her appearence or class, like the capital-M Monsters on Mewni, but her behaviour.

She's possibly also a Monster in the Mewni sense, too, or at least half of one. It would explain her beast transformation, for one thing, and if she's what happens when Mewmans and Monsters mingle then it would go a long way to explaining why everyone got scared shitless when Eclipsa, powerful even by royal Butterfly standards, had a kid with what sure looks like a powerful Monster.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Nah. I'd wager that's just Mina being Mina and why she was considered such a great warrior way back when. One of the big points is that the line between Monsters and Mewmans seem largely arbitrary and just because one looks monstrous, doesn't mean that they're a Monster. We've already seen a little what a half- Monster/half-Mewman looks like in Meteora who's been hiding it.

I dunno, I can still see the power thing as arbitrary considering the Butterflys are allies with the literal Lords of the Underworld, a bunch of pigeons that killed their way to a kingdom, and Pony Heads that according to the guidebook can control the weather. Plus while power isn't inherently good or evil, it's something you wouldn't want a people you're oppressing to get. I'm just thinking that Mina has pointed ears like Meteora when she's in hulk mode, and she can fly and use magic directly which we haven't seen anyone human/Mewman-looking do unless they have cheek marks. She may not be half-Monster specifically, but it would explain some things and I doubt she's fully Mewman in any event.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Next-day unspoilered speculation time.

The theory I heard that makes the most sense is that Meteora was still a toddler when the Magic High Commission came for her mother. But Eclipsa saw the end coming, so she smuggled her daughter to St. Olga's and placed her in the care of Gemini and the headmistress of the time, making them swear not to tell her daughter about her heritage. This would help explain why Gemini seemed a bit more nervous than astonished when Meteora discovered her baby room and why all the toys are appropriate for a very young child. The current Queen Butterfly then came across the baby room and set a guard to watch the door in case Meteora should return.

Alternately, the queen currently in charge of the MHC (Eclipsa's sister or firstborn daughter) packed Meteora off without telling the Commission members, because either way you think they'd have mentioned "oh, and she had a Monster baby" on her list of crimes if marrying a Monster was bad enough. And apparently that queen took her secret to her grave since Moon has been having a lot of trouble building her case against Eclipsa.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

How long until we find out that Marco is Star's distant cousin through Meteora and Eclipsa? He had the cheek marks.

Pretty sure he was channeling Star's magic through the soul bond. The show deliberately references it when he picks up the wand, the cheek marks are crescent (blood) moons, and the first episode established way back when that Earth has no magic. I'm fairly confident that last point means that if Janna had grabbed the wand, nothing would have happened.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I see Meteora as being a villain even after this revelation, although she probably won't be the only villain and might not stay evil forever. After all, while we don't know what circumstances led Meteora to become Miss Heinous, we do know her character, and she is not a woman who lets a grudge die easy. And wouldn't you know it, but she just remembered she has the biggest grudge ever to hold against the ruling branch of the Butterfly family.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

Kinda funny that Marco running with Heckapoo was basically played like two-timing girlfriends or cheating. The sexual tension in this show is all over the drat place, man.

Yeah, it's episodes like this that make me wonder why people are worried about Marco and Star's dynamic changing if/when they make it official. They're already close enough to support an episode with a clear "cheating boyfriend" subtext, plus people around them have been assuming they're together since season 2. Plus the show has a big enough same-age supporting cast that the shipping wars never have to end; I know folks have been waiting to see what happens when Janna and Tom finally share a scene.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Stuff I noticed in the preview:

Cloudy, Rainbow Raccoon, Glitter Whale Battering Ram, Kitten Pegasus Battle Barrel, and the All-Seeing Eye have officially joined the Spell Crew.
Janna and Tom will be in the same room for Star's Quinceañera.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Also it recontextualised the prior episode dealing with the same subject matter - The wand episode established that the wand itself is a microcosm of Mewni. Spider is succeeding where Star is failing in his pursuit of inclusivity because he is basically in charge of the realm within the wand - not officially, but his behaviour places him there. As a result, the other spells have been following his lead for years - he has rubbed off on them. They are all willing to try to be nice and consider the behaviours of others because Spider has been putting up with all their poo poo for years. Spider is representative of where Star wants to be. Star, however, has her mother and Mina to contend with, among other obstacles.

I think you're overthinking this one. (Spoilered to be safe) For one thing, Star invented almost all her spells so they share aspects of her personality, and for another thing the episode conflict is a lot more personal than the Mewni-Monster issues. Also, Mina wasn't there to spoil the party and share a massive revelation.

One thing I must say about part two, though, is that I liked the quiet piano rendition of Spider's theme.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

You're forgetting the obvious.
The stump has been literally used as burning wood seconds before things turned sideways. That probably counts a bit more than a bit of bickering.

It's especially obvious since Janna is the first victim.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Venuz Patrol posted:

star vs. usually handles issues of class and abuse of power well, so it was a bit jarring to have the conclusion of the holiday spellcial be "maybe a police state is a good thing, since having your every move be watched means some of the good stuff will be recorded too!"

How did you get "police state" out of "let everybody know what everybody does behind each other's backs?" That's the free flow of information. The All-Seeing Eye doesn't represent state cameras so much as the cameras on everyone's phones that record video and post everything online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Nephthys posted:

I like the idea that if Eclipsa is vindicated in the trial, she would technically be the real Queen of Mewni and stun everyone by (re)claiming the throne. I feel like she's waaay too confident and smart to lose the trial and intended all along for this to happen and winning the trial is all part of her plan.

My gut says that Eclipsa is a good person though and that its likely that Meteora/Mina are going to be the true villains of the arc, although both are more damaged than villainous and the focus will be on convincing them to stand down peacefully. Moon will likely also be a big hurdle since she's still irrationally prejudiced against monsters.

Eclipsa would have to be prescient if the trial was part of her plan. It's clear that she's at the Butterfly Castle for a reason since she hasn't bothered to use a single spell and her knowledge of the castle's secret passages proves she could leave anytime she likes, but the trial was something Queen Moon made up on the spot to mollify Star. It's more likely that she's present in order to do what she's been doing: learn more about Star, gain her trust, and then manipulate and/or simply ask Star to help her with some yet-unknown task. What that task is will decide whether she's part of the Forces of Evil or not.