Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If you're talking about Moon, the issue is it's a pay-off with no setup. She says she did it because Eclipsa messed her up with a spell and trapped her in the magic dimension, but that justification comes out of nowhere. We've seen enough of her internal life in the past episodes to know that she was done with being queen and ruling people. All she wanted was to chill, and they don't show any change in that state until her reveal. We do get flashbacks that show her actions leading up to the turn, but not her motivation. That's a problem.

It doesn't ruin the show or anything, but it was a contrived twist, and I'm not even sure it was even necessary to get Star to a place where she's all "screw magic!"

Edit: oh, you already made an edit that agrees with me. Oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hey, anyone know if the last episode is 40 minutes long? They've been releasing two a week, but next week it's just the finale and 22 minutes seems a little cramped to sew up all the poo poo they've got going on.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I think Star could lose her mind, murder the rest of the cast, and people would still take it better than what's happening to GoT.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It is in character, but there's a critical plot beat missing where she realizes she's deluding herself by trying to stay out of everything and decides to wade back in. This is an issue because the flashbacks imply she flipped a while ago, but the glimpses of her inner life from earlier episodes showed a sincere attempt to leave that all behind. We jump straight from frustrated retiree to deep state conspiracy mom. Somewhere between those two points, she made a major life-altering choice and we don't see that happen even in the flashbacks so it feels really clunky.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Star's on-the-spot interpretation of the tapestry was that it showed her in the process of destroying magic. That's pretty waffly for a bunch of reasons, not least is that her current plan is to use the Whispering spell to nuke the magic dimension and the tapestry doesn't show anything like that.

edit: also, I know he was only in one other episode before this arc, but I was pretty shocked when the show straight up exploded Quirky, the four-eyed biker dude.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 14, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Not even bourgeoisie, straight up hereditary aristocracy!

They couldn't get any more haute unless they restricted magic to pharaohs and god-kings.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 14, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Huh, so they went with the genocide ending after all. That kinda sucks!

I don't hate it I guess, but I'm super lukewarm. Mina even says flat out that ideas were the problem, not magic, and she's right. The show also totally cheats by never making Star confront a magical creature who wants to live. We only get input from Glossaryck and Hekapoo, and they both seem totally chill with popping into non-existence? Okay...

Oh and Moon gets off super light for basically loving everything up, but I guess they only had 23 minutes to tie things off so whatevs. I'm gonna stop thinking about it now because the more I dwell on it the less pleased I'm gonna be with the ending to this kids cartoon, and I don't wanna make things weird.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 19, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

galenanorth posted:

I can see it both ways, if magic is like if anybody on Earth could gain the power to use a nuclear weapon if they studied long enough within a lifetime, with spells as powerful as Solaria's

Oh, I totally get why it's dangerous but it was never set up as the root of this conflict and destroying it wiped out who knows how many intelligent beings. So it feels not only arbitrary but also really loving dark in a way the show simply didn't engage with.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It wiped out the Realm of Magic unicorns, Glossaryk, and the MHC. All other creatures, no matter how apparently magical, seemed to be just fine in the ending. I imagine even Father Time is still out there since Glossaryk didn't create him.

Also presumably all the spells in the wand. We had multiple episodes focused on their vibrant and colorful lives, and now they all ded.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And don't forget about Reynaldo, whose only crime was being kind of a twerp. He didn't even choose to speak in riddles, one of the queens put a curse on him.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

What closure is missing for Star and Macro? Like, the world is a mess but I think we know exactly what happens to them. We know because we've spent four seasons watching what their lives are like when they're together. Probably the only difference now is that they sometimes make out in between going on crazy adventures.

If the writers had pulled the trigger on splitting them apart, I'd agree there would need to be more denouement but as things stand their immediate future feels like the most certain and settled thing in the show.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sure, but another story; this one is over, and I don't think it lacked for closure regarding the lead characters. I do get wanting to see more of them, though.

A sequel series seems unlikely, but I could see them doing a comic book or something that gives fans a chance to check-in on where everyone is a little way down the road.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Realized this afternoon that the warrior queen out to exterminate monsters is a tad hypocritical since her quest for Mewman supremacy conveniently overlooks that she can turn into a giant butterfly woman...

Who did and didn't count as a monster was always arbitrary. The show points this out on several occasions.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd wager both. Animating hands moving and touching things is always hard, and kicking things is often funny, so it's win-win.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Can't say I agree. A big part of season 3 was Macro trying to adjust to life without Star, realizing it was unacceptable, and transitioning to Mewni. It is true that all his character beats happen double-quick, but that's how it goes for anyone in the show not named Star Butterly.

I also think that's okay. Star is the protagonist. It's fine for her side-kick to receive less screen time and character work. Besides, I wouldn't even say Macro is shallow because of the show's writing, but because he's just not as interesting as Star. He's a steady, reliable every-man. He doesn't kick in doors.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

True, but while I agree the show does deal in messages about the falsehood of "endings" it also runs, dashes, and at times leaps to tie up various plot threads. And don't think that the latter is a deliberate compliment to the former.

So yeah, the writers understand that lives continue after the story is over, but they did have to end the story they were telling and clearly had to rush in certain places to get poo poo done. To their credit, and with the notable exception of Moon's heel-turn, most everything felt consistent to the various characters and their arcs.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Maybe, but ending things is hard. Nearly every fiction author reaches an impasse where the must choose either a) keep going and never finish anything, b) wrap major threads organically but leave minor ones dangling, or c) tie up everything in a big drat hurry.

Even under ideal conditions, it's an unenviable task that can count fewer true success stories than a leper can toes. I think this show does an average, or maybe slightly above average job which is enough to satisfy. The overall quality is high enough that they would need to nosedive at the finish line to really ruin things.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tetracube posted:

Would they have dragged out the love triangle even longer?

Absolutely. Another thing that's very hard is moving from romantic tension to a romantic relationship. Writers are terrified of that transition and the associated risks. There's a reason nearly every film and TV show that has a "will they/won't they" at its center ends the moment the couple is together.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 29, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I dunno man, Brooklyn Nine Nine and Parks and Recreation have given me a taste of what it feels like to let characters get together and stay together and continue to develop as people and it tastes pretty amazing.

It's actually way more fun and interesting.

I didn't say it wasn't awesome; I said it was very hard, and also risky.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It helped a lot that the show never had to contrive reasons for them stay separate. Usually, the problem serialized dramas runs into is that the romantic tension goes on for years longer than anyone intended because the show got more seasons and no one wants to destabilize a popular (and profitable) status quo.

If anything they could have done with more time to serve the various subplots, like Macro's relationships with Jackie or his blink-and-you'll-miss-it fling with Kelly.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The framing and story thread was fine, and I agree that it was a good lesson about expectations vs. reality when it comes to crushes. I'm more talking about how there's a beat or two missing between when they start dating and when Macro goes jetting off to Mewni.

It was a hallmark of his relationships that they happened in fast-motion to make more room for Star's drama. And as I said up thread, that's is okay because she is the main character, but it still woulda been nice to have more time to flesh out more of the secondary and tertiary relationships.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Macro's dad living a double-life as a legendary art thief is the best tidbit in there and is now canon.

Edit: also, genocide ending confirmed. All that ruminating the show did on who were the real monsters and turns out it was Star all along!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 4, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

But it is very consistent with her character, at least. When Star decides to do a thing, she does it as hard as possible regardless of whether or not the said thing is advisable or even good. I remember feeling the same way during the end of Avatar when Aang risks millions of lives to preserve his conscience. It was monumentally stupid and selfish, but he's thirteen and good-natured to a fault so fully in-character.

I think my only disappointment is that, like Avatar, this show doesn't even address the negative consequences of the choice. I mean, yeah, it is a kid's show but if they pull something that dark, then I don't think that gets them off the hook for not engaging with it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's counter-intuitive, but "to cleave" can also mean to stick with someone or something, i.e. I cleave to the left of the political spectrum.

The final episode, Cleaved Together is referring to Star and Macro, and also their respected worlds both being stuck together. Hardly the common usage, but writers like to get pithy with their titles.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

And again, a number of characters that just cease to be, rather than just be depowered or go off with Glossaryk to parts unknown. It's a really weird note to end on.

I think the distinction is between magical creatures like Ponyhead and creatures created by magic like the High Commission or Wand Spells. The former get to keep on existing, while the latter... don't.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh right the puppies, yeah okay. I guess the distinction is "things we thought the audience might notice/care about."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And importantly, even ~*ABS*~ Macro would happily wear a dress.

I don't mind the trans reading, but I'm just as happy to go with it being an example of non-toxic masculinity, which is something also very lacking in a lot of media.