Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It's almost entirely a 4chan meme done mostly as a joke/to annoy people. There's just enough of a consistent ocean theme to Jackie plus that one weird comment in Just Friends that you can throw together something looking like a theory but there's not a lot of real meat to it.

However someone on tumblr talking about it linked the "How to act like your secretly a mermaid" Wikihow article and now the idea that Jackie is a normal human dork trying to imply that she's secretly a mermaid without saying it in the same way as that article is the funniest thing in the world.

Edit: actually there's also some really old art by Nefcy that's a bunch of mermaids, one that looks almost exactly like Jackie, and all the mermaids have the same kind of eye's she does, which if I remember right she's the only one who's eyes are drawn that way. It's from roughly the same art time period as she was drawing her Star as a normal human who THINKS she's having magical adventures comics I think. So like I wouldn't be surprised it was a thing in some of really early rough drafts as she was working through the concept before pitching it.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If it's any consolation, we actually know when the next episode's going to air, unlike SU :v:

I still can't believe we're getting like two hours of the show in one day as soon it it comes back.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

That article even has a bit about dyeing your hair blue or some other ocean color and telling people it's natural like it's the perfect punchline to that theory existing.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The real twist is that her arm appears to be severed.

I think the implication is that she managed to move her arm, with her glove left behind like stars socks when she got half crystaled that one time but I got no solid evidence for that.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Man the new ending.

The show desperately wants to be more anime.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

"Just 'cause I'm a princess doesn't mean I can do anything I want!"

stinger: "I can do what I want."

Dark side Star plotline is go. Thought the hiatus killed my interest but that trailer got me in maximum overhype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Hey, gotta ape that Japanese Anime style of story telling where a lot of stuff is very much serial continuity based. GF pulled it off very well granted the episodes were half hour and a big part of the show was the settings weirdness so even if the episodes weren't always about the author's identity they still worked to emphasize the towns weirdness.

I've not watched Adventure Time of SU so I can't comment there, but if you're gonna do a serial then it HAS to be half hour episodes.

The problem we keep running into is that we have a generation of creators who grew up watching anime that DESPERATELY want to tell those kinds of stories conflicting with networks and exects and censors who WILL have their 11 minute highschool comedy wheather you like it or not.

So we keep hitting this pattern where you get a first season that is what an American cartoon is "supposed" to be. The show gets popular enough that the showrunner gets more freedom. The show does a hard pivot into more serious and connected storylines but momentum is lost in the process of pivoting and decisions made back when the show was pretending to be the next SpongeBob start getting in the way of the next Utena.