Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I still can't believe Star loving blew herself up to get to Toffee. Like, it was resolved relatively quickly, but that whole sequence was one giant :stonk:

OldTennisCourt posted:

This is the first episode of the show I watched and "Turns out YA DEAD!" is legitimately one of the best line reads in a cartoon I've heard in years.

Well, you picked a hell of a time to jump in :v: I definitely recommend going back and watching the earlier episodes if you've got the chance, since there's a ton of background details that might not be immediately apparent just from looking through the wiki. (And, of course, the show itself is pretty fun to watch)

Also, I did just remember that Star describes Eclipsa's chapter as being about "powers of darkness, forces of evil, eternal suffering, blah blah blah," so that's probably another check in the "Eclipsa is Probably Evil" column.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Trebuchet King posted:

If I don't have cable, what's my best option for watching this? Amazon Prime?

The first two seasons are available on Hulu for streaming, so that's probably your best bet. You can also buy individual episodes or whole seasons on Amazon and iTunes, including the most recent Season 3 episodes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Trebuchet King posted:

I meant the season 3 stuff and edited accordingly, sorry--thanks though!

No problem, hope you're able to find it!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

By the way, what's the over/under on Eclipsa being the one who offed her mother?

Also I just caught this and that's not how over/under works :argh:

(I don't think so-unless she's a great actress, she had some convincing tears coming from her eyes at that revelation).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So the livechat just ended, and they have a very brief promo at the end, consisting of three lines: Star saying "When Toffee was destroyed, she'd be set free," Moon saying "She can make you do things you don't want to do," and Eclipsa saying "How did that spell work out for you?"

The most important info, though, was the news that the next episodes will begin airing... in November :negative:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I still want to know what was up with the diamond and spade marks on Toffee's skull pauldrons in his Monster Rebellion days. I don't think Toffee is likely to have had any direct contact with Eclipsa, but given how much research he had to have put into the wand and the history of the Butterfly dynasty, it wouldn't surprise me if he figured out Moon made a deal with her, and factored Eclipsa's escape into some kind of contingency plan.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Skippy McPants posted:

I just assumed they were trophies from other members of the Butterfly family. I seem to remember in Game of Flags that a few of Moon's relatives also had the cheek making thingies.

They do, but they aren't repeated-thus far, every cheek mark has been unique to that individual. Because of that, it means that there was almost certainly a specific reason as to why Toffee chose those particular icons to decorate his armor. For Moon's diamonds, it makes sense-even before Toffee killed her mother, Moon was the heir to the Butterfly throne, and at the time her death would represent the death of that direct line of the Butterfly Dynasty.

With Eclipsa's markings though, it gets tricky. It could have been that Toffee merely chose the well-known markings of an ancient Butterfly Queen, symbolizing how he was seeking to destroy the Butterfly legacy in addition to the current monarch. But even though we don't know a lot about Eclipsa, we do know she's infamous-meaning that it's unlikely Toffee would have merely picked her symbol at random. But because we know so little about Eclipsa, it's hard to guess why Toffee chose her symbol specifically. Hell, we know the modern Mewmans fear and loathe her, but we don't even know how the Monsters feel about her-after all, just because she ran off with a monster husband doesn't mean future monsters would feel any need to look up to her in any way.

I imagine that once we actually get more details on why Eclipsa's history and why she was frozen, it'll probably become more clear as to why Toffee chose her symbol to paint on his armor. But until then, it's an interesting mystery to consider.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BioEnchanted posted:

With the person who mentioned resurrecting characters could set a bad precedent and kill the stakes, I think the idea was done fairly well in Steven Universe - Steven can bring people and animals back to life in some limited form, but they come back not themselves - they tend to be bright pink with no mesurable pulse and no need to eat - basically magical zombies but with their minds intact.

Eh, the counterpoint is that in that example, it happened almost immediately, using an ability that was telegraphed earlier in the series (Though obviously not to that extent).

More importantly, though, while I'm sure the writers could find a way to bring back Toffee in an interesting way, I doubt they will if only because it would go against one of the series' biggest hallmarks: when things change, they stay changed. While I'm sure we'll continue to see the effects of Toffee's plans, any revival of the lizard himself would be a major reversion to a prior status quo, a situation the writers have taken pretty great pains to avoid thus far.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Regarding whether Toffee's going to come back, it's worth noting that several crew members haven't exactly been subtle about his current status.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Was Rasticore Chaosus Disastervane part of Toffee's army? One of those gators looked familiar.

Yeah, it was him:

I'm not gonna lie, he's one of my favorite background characters in the show. He's the epitome of someone's tryhard 'badass' RPG character that ends up rolling a 1 every time they try to do something cool and I love it :allears:

Say Nothing posted:

Do this look like the face of pure evil?

Anyone want an avatar?

This is great, though I decided to take a shot at removing the Ducktales logo and getting it under the size limit:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
If anyone else wants a specific av of something, let me know, I've way too much time to kill at the moment.

Madurai posted:

Since DXD has elected not to show the Battle for Mewni episodes in order, I guess I'm waiting on a streaming service eventually getting around to it.

If you have cable, you should be able to watch it through WatchDisneyXD.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Like I said, way too much time.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I wasn't sure which variety you wanted, so take your pick :v:

Edit: "Turns out ya dead" is basically the only text option for the last one.
Edit Edit: Though "Welcome to Disney XD Everyone!" is pretty good too

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 20, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Junpei Hyde posted:

Debating these for a new av, but not sure about text.

E: Toffee getting killed via pillar is also a good one, hmmmmmm...

Ladies

Also, decided to pick one up for myself.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Junpei Hyde posted:

I can't believe they're going to die.

Do you think the townspeople will ever find their heads?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
if you're a fan of behind-the-scenes stuff, Daron Nefcy posted this neat video from a visit to Rough Draft Korea where they show off some of the inked animation from the last episode. There's also gonna be a panel at SDCC later today where they'll be showing a clip from a future episode, though it's anyone's guess if it'll get leaked or uploaded.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You don't think he could have earned them? Bullshit. Heckapoo's test was all about endurance and single minded obsession, Ludo probably ACED her test. His key charteristics are never giving up and enduring massive amounts of pain and suffering in pursuit of his goals.

Most of the princesses in the St. Olga's episode had their own scissors as well, so it's not out of the question that it's easier for royalty to 'earn' the scissors, or that they're passed down or even bought and sold. It's worth keeping in mind that Marco only got caught because he went 'scissor happy,' and Heckapoo was probably less inclined to make things easy on him since they were A) stolen and B) her personal scissors.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
And we've got our SDCC preview:

First, new outfit. Looks like it's a cross between the Mewnian style worn by Queen Moon and Star's earth dresses, which is probably a signifier of the changed status quo now that Star's not living on Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80czcfCpq9Y

Next, looks like a flashback episode to when Star first started going out with Tom. It'll be interesting to see how much they go into what their relationship was like, and what it means for Star, Tom, and Marco in the future.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 21, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

nerdman42 posted:

I can't find the exact quote/interview, but I'm sure I read something where the writers said "yeah Disney said we had to give Marco male friends that we didn't know how to use so they're just disappearing into the background forever"

I would love to see the other cheerleaders back though, they seemed nice

I posted about it earlier in the thread, but it comes from Daron Nefcy herself:

quote:

It’s funny like you know pitching a show for a network and stuff, so… and Disney is so awesome, they just let me do so many cool things in the show and they’ve been like so awesome, they really are trying to do amazing things in animation. But one of the things they really wanted for the first season with Marco, is that they were like “He doesn’t have male friends. And we want him to have male friends ‘cause we want him to be more… male, I guess? I don’t know.” So I didn’t know… my original plan was for, you know it’s like Star and Marco are kinda like these only children, and they connect together, and they have like this special bond. And I didn’t really see Marco as having like friends. So I had to came up with some friends, so I created Ferguson and Alfonzo. I have to say that I didn’t feel like I was getting a lot out of them. Like I really didn’t know what to do with them. They are - they do come back a little in the 3rd season, I can tell you that. They are not gone forever, but honestly, I really didn’t know what to do with them, they were kinda hard for me to write. But I’m glad that you like them. It was almost becoming a joke, we were like “Oh, we don’t like them”. They are in the comic, though.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't mind seeing the other student characters, but honestly outside of a handful they're all kinda flat. And while there's potential for them to be fleshed out, given that it's the summer and Star doesn't even live on Earth anymore, it's hard to see where they'd even fit into the show going forward.

New outfit has a narwhal making it automatically the best.

I note that Queen Moon has those curly bidoos she stops wearing in season 2, which is a good clue that this is a flashback.

Also, Tom has (I suspect) one hell of a mother.

I've seen speculation that the guy King River is wrestling in the clip is Tom's dad, which would mean that Greg Universe has finally found a kindred spirit :v:

One other thing I've seen mentioned is that, if the clip is a flashback, it puts Blood Moon Ball in a whole new light. This whole time, we've been assuming that Tom was trying to manipulate Star into dancing with him under the Blood Moon so that their souls would be bonded, in an attempt to forcibly get back together with her. With this clip in mind, though, it's possible that wasn't the case (Or at least, not completely), and that Tom was instead genuinely trying to rekindle the relationship by reminding Star of what got them together in the first place.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 22, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I don't think they've straight-out gone and said "Star's won't be moving back to Earth," but it's pretty clear that's the direction they're going. After all, just look at how they changed the credits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTgyEHDIKbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFMM1jqtcBk

Still, I doubt we've seen the last of earth, or Marco's parents. Like Motherfucker said, Marco has his own scissors, and it's not like Star isn't going to want to come back to visit.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Shitenshi posted:

I wonder if they're going to make a separate Season 3 OP, since that first one made out Toffee-Ludo to be a regular villain, but now they're both gone beyond a doubt, and the focus seems like it's going to be on Eclipsa as the main antagonist. Not to mention the wand is back together.

Yeah, it's weird that they went through the trouble of creating an entirely new opening, only for it to become immediately outdated within a handful of episodes. I'd like to think that they'll at least update the logo at the end to reflect the reforged wand, but it's hard to say what, if anything, they'll end up doing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TwoPair posted:

It's not that weird though. Adventure Time made a whole genderflipped intro for their Fionna and Cake episodes, Gravity Falls made a new one for their finale. I'd compare Star's to the GF example since they're both intros for special events.

Of course, this is all assuming that they have yet another new intro coming up.

Well, the big difference from those examples is that those intros were both focused around their one-off theme, whereas only the brief Ludo sequence in the new intro has anything to do with the Battle for Mewni. But, looking the intro back over, it is possible the shot of Ludo was meant to be temporary-the sequence jumps from Star and Marco in the crystal dimension, to Ludo hanging out in front of the moon, and then back to Star and Marco amidst the crystals. It's a bit of a weird sequence break, and I could easily believe that once the episodes begin airing again in November that they'll transition to a shot of Eclipsa instead of Ludo, in addition to an updated logo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

There's a lot of directions they could take Eclipsa and none of them would be disappointing.

Also in other news apparently there's gonna be a new version of the guidebook that's coming out, but chances are that it'll probably be the exact same as the existing version but with an extra sticker sheet or something, so as far as exciting news goes it's a bit of a wash.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
A recording of the SDCC panel has found its way into the wild, with surprisingly good video and audio quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYEGsbV0nZ0

Highlights include a brief table read of the reunion scene from Toffee and some loving around with fan theories.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I think it's definitely possible there might very well be prophecy shenanigans going around in the background, given the weird room at Saint Olga's that you pointed out and the card suites in the Grandma Room from Into the Wand. Honestly though, I kinda hope there isn't, since it's pretty rare that prophecy plots are actually done well, and I also feel it would take away from the show's encouragement of going against the grain and breaking out from traditionally established behaviors and roles.

With that said, there's definitely a lot to consider about the room from St. O's. One big thing I'm surprised you didn't notice is that the room is encircled with busts of crocodile heads, which could definitely tie in to a connection with Toffee or the Septarians in general (Gotta wonder if Rasticore is just a hired merc or if he has a longer history with Heinous). Another connection I thought of a while ago as well is that, rather than the floor tiling being a reference to the Blood Moon, it's actually an eclipse-and when you factor in that the demons in the roof mural also bear a potential resemblance to Eclipsa's monster husband, I think there's definitely a solid argument to be made that there's a connection of some kind between St. Olga's (The building at least) and Eclipsa.

toanoradian posted:

I've just watched the movie and was excited to wait a week for the next episode, too. :argh:

Movie was great, I love almost all of it, but what I love the most is Toffee post regeneration. He's just...walked away. After defeating Moon and Marco, sure, but he just walked away, as if he's gonna look for a coffee shop. What a monster, what a general.

I prefer the previous ending theme to this one though. Not because the music is bad, but because I'm expecting some movement in my ending.

Yeah, the new ending is neat. but I think the original Season 1/2 intro and ending were definitely superior from a pure animation standpoint.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
On another note, this show has a lot of cool fanart so feel free to post stuff you find while we suffer through the hiatus

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

I immediately regret everything

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Inescapable Duck posted:

Trying to get some friends into this, thinking I need to skip ahead a bit since the first few eps are rough. Was gonna get them to from the first two to 7-8 (Cheer Up, Star and Quest Buy) but open to other suggestions.

If you're looking to hook someone, my recommendation would be one or a mixture of Mewberty, Blood Moon Ball, and Mewnipendence Day. Each one is a good showcase of the show's strengths (Ludicrous sci-fi/fantasy shenanigans, the nuanced relationship between Star and Marco, and Toffee/deeper lore and continuity), and are good standalone eps. And then, once they're hooked, you can always go back to the earlier episodes and roll on from there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Say Nothing posted:

Moon... River.
I don't think I even noticed this until season two.

To be fair I don't think they both got names until Season 2.

edit: season 3 spoilers:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 30, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
One of the neat things about the show is that the crew is incredibly open about answering questions and sharing behind-the-scenes material for episodes that have aired. Since there's not much else going on at the moment, I figured I'd dig up some of the cooler background stuff that's gotten shared over the past couple weeks:

"Michelle Park" posted:

keys and bgs from Battle for Mewni! :) Hope everyone liked it! + end credit works!

Created by Daron Nefcy, Art direction by Israel Sanchez, Paint supervised by me (yay!), and special thanks to paint team Drake Brodahl, Kari Casady, Alexander Duckworth. Also the amazing layout team, Maryam Sefati, Sun Jae Lee,Alex Chechik, and Kayla Jones!

"Zach Marcus" posted:

Here is some stuff i did for part 1 of Toffee (slightly abridged).
The revisionist history paintings were something I wanted to do to really push the distorted view of the world Ludo has, they’re not propaganda to him they are absolutely true. He sees himself as a savior and rightful ruler.
But Ludo is nuts, so of course he kills a choir of children after they sing his praises.

"Sabrina Cotugno" posted:

Some shots I boarded for The Battle of Mewni: Toffee!

1) Star’s wand design wasn’t finalized until after boards.

2) Star’s transformation sequence was half Sailor Moon Crystal (the later seasons, after they stopped using the weird CG models) and half Digimon. Basically everything I do is half Digimon??

3) Since we don’t get much time with poor Toffee, I wanted to at least give him a nice big send off. By which I mean brutally murdering him, including several juicy close-up shots to show the flesh ripping off his body.

4) Those close-ups originally looked fleshier–you could see the skeleton coming apart underneath the skin. I toned it down, but you can still kinda see his skeleton in the final shot there.

"Ariel VH" posted:

……..I’m sorry,,,,,,,,I’ve literally started a count of all the times I’ve had to draw a character crying in season 3 and it’s been A LOT so far. But that’s boring- LET’S TALK GOO.

Working with this goo was such a pain in the NECK for everyone involved- there were several goo related meetings with our design team, and since this was my section to revise I had to animate and figure out a lot of the goo poses. It needed to feel heavier and water and just seem…sticky. And yes, we absolutely referenced Hexxus from Ferngully as well as The Greedy from the Raggedy Ann movie.

Brian H. Kim has also been releasing numerous music tracks from the special:

"Behold Queen Moon" posted:

From Star vs. the Forces of Evil - The Battle for Mewni (Moon the Undaunted).

Guys, lesson here: don’t cross Queen Moon.

"Star is a Dipper" posted:

From Star vs. the Forces of Evil - The Battle for Mewni (Toffee).

I like this scene for its subtle references.

The music is pretty subtle too.

/s

"Toffee Returns/The Last Magic" posted:

From Star vs. the Forces of Evil - The Battle for Mewni (Toffee).

Spoiler: Moon, Marco, and Buff Frog have just been told that Star is dead. They have no reason to believe Toffee is wrong. So, for Moon, the individual responsible for killing her mom just killed her daughter too. And then she and Marco basically try to MURDER TOFFEE.

The tune starts out like Moon’s theme from previous episodes, but there was something about her theme that wasn’t sitting right in the scene, so after the first six notes I abandon it and start doing this major/minor back and forth thing. Moon is both the angriest and saddest she has ever been, so it felt right to have the music waver.

And then we jump to Star, who actually seems to be in a life or death situation, and makes one last attempt to save the last bit of magic, maybe in all of Mewni. And it apparently doesn’t turn out so great. Again, the melody after she dives starts out like Star’s theme, but it changes to something more dangerous at the end.

"Moon vs. The Lizard" posted:

From Star vs. the Forces of Evil - The Battle for Mewni (Moon the Undaunted).

FINALLY Moon’s backstory. Toffee’s big entrance in his functionally useless but super sexy mesh top. And Moon diving into some dark magic, with Eclipsa’s help, thus making a deal that may come back to bite her decades later.

It was really important in this cue to make clear that this spell Moon is casting, even though it seems necessary and brave at the time, is probably a really bad idea. So the music isn’t particularly heroic or magical, like most magic cues in the show. Even when she succeeds (more or less?), it’s still kinda “oh sh-t.”

"Joke is On Me" posted:

From Star vs. the Forces of Evil - The Battle for Mewni (Book Be Gone).

I think one of my favorite, but oft overlooked, revelations of the last season up through now is just how sad Ludo’s life has been. His whole adult life has been defined by a desire for acceptance and power; no one likes him, his family treated him like dirt, and now he’s not even in control of his own perceived success.

So this cue isn’t just sad because of Glossaryck’s circumstances (the melody at the end is a reference to Gloss’s “maybe this is what you need” speech to Star last season), but also because of all the crap in Ludo’s life that has led up to this terrible point.

And finally, Aaron Hammersly posted an animated storyboard from Toffee's rebirth scene:

"Aaron Hammersly" posted:

Here’s a scene storyboarded on the “Toffee” episode. We went full on “horror” for Toffee’s rebirth (or whatever you want to call it). Then we transition to total devastation. I decided to add the scars on moon’s arms just as she attacked toffee to amplify the depths of moons despair as well as her growing rage. It also made sense to me to have moon try to cast her darkest spell on Toffee, aiming the wand directly at his heart this time. I’m sure at this point she regretted not killing him when she first had the chance.

As far as Marco goes, who wouldn’t want to punch a hole through Toffee’s chest? He’s a best friend killer! Screw that Toffee guy.

I should mention that there are a couple of Sabrina Cotugno’s original panels in this scene as well. http://arythusa.tumblr.com/ She is quite a talent.

Lemme know if you guys want me to dig up anything else, not like there's much else to talk about until the new episodes start rolling out :v:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 2, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

What if Marco isn't the sun in this mural? What if the Blood Moon dance really was "meant" for Tom? With his control over fire, he would make a much more appropriate sun than Marco. Star also says "Since we're both royalty, there's sorta this pressure for us to be together" in Tom's section of the guidebook. What if that pressure comes from more than just keeping the bloodlines pure? What if Toffee isn't, as he believes, the only being to know about this prophecy?

It is worth keeping in mind that originally, Marco's name was going to be Sol-so if the mural is related to some kind of prophecy, then it almost certainly relates to Marco instead of Tom. There's also no apparent pressure from either Star or Tom's parents to attend the ball, so while there may have been pressure on the two to bring the Underworld under the domain of the Butterfly Kingdom through marriage, they weren't looking towards the Blood Moon to help accomplish that (If that's what your point was intended to be, and if that's even how the Blood Moon works*)

*The Blood Moon itself is interesting to talk about, since (Like so much else in this show) we know it's important, but the specifics of how or why are severely lacking. Hell, we don't even know how it binds souls, or what the effects actually are-did the Blood Moon make it destined that Star and Marco would get together? Was it merely a reflection of their already-close friendship, or a prediction of what was already meant to be? If they hadn't danced under the blood moon, would their relationship be different? I personally lean towards "It's predictive" instead of being strictly deterministic, but it's still a very open question.

X_Toad posted:

My own theorycrafting has been simpler than some of the people above : Toffie was in cahoots with Eclipsa the whole time and intended to sacrifice himself for his Queen. That's why he killed Moon's mother when she was so young, to push her into making a deal with Eclipsa for something that could kill him. When Moon chose a third option and instead shot off his finger, making his whole army flee, he himself left because he was suddenly not enough of a threat to kill. And the reason why he always put in some effort to not die? He didn't want to raise suspicions about his long-term goal by being seemingly okay with dying.

Eh, I don't think I really agree with that theory. There might be some personal connection between Toffee and Eclipsa (Though I personally doubt it), but Toffee's personality doesn't really suggest that he's someone who'd be willing to take orders (Or even die) on behalf of someone else unless it was to serve his own ends. Hell, he split off from the Monster King to put himself in charge and continue the rebellion back during the original war in Moon the Undaunted, and his entire arc in Season 1 and 2 revolved around manipulating Ludo to achieve his goals before eventually kicking him to the dirt-he's never stopped at trying to put himself on top through hook or crook, and being the mere underling of someone trapped in an ice crystal would just feel wildly out of character for him. (Plus, don't forget that part of his plan consisted of the corruption and ultimate destruction of magic on Mewni, something I don't think the famously powerful Eclipsa would be particularly fond of)

That said, I'm very much looking forward to figuring out just what the hell is up with Eclipsa.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Inescapable Duck posted:

Speaking of, the ending seems to imply that while Toffee was able to reconstitute himself into what outwardly looked like his old body, on the inside he was basically a skeleton surrounded by goop; he's no longer immortal, because he no longer had the same biology as his old self. That may have contributed to Marco being able to punch straight through his body, though Marco is starting to get borderline superhuman himself. (He is being played a lot as a foil to King River, which River seems to approve of)

I do wonder if they'll do anything with the fact that Star also had to reconstitute herself a new body, albeit out of pure, uncorrupted magic instead of Toffee's black goo. I mean, I don't exactly expect them to have Star confronted with her own skeletal remains, but on the other hand I didn't exactly expect them to do half the poo poo they pulled off in the season opener, so who knows where they might go with that.

In other news:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

I was expecting their roles to be reversed since Rasticore is the tryhard between the two.

I probably should've explained it earlier, but it's a joke based on a previous image the artist came up with. (The artist, incidentally, is the sister of storyboard revisionist Ariel V. H, also known as president of the Toffee Fan Club)

Popcornicus posted:

This show is fantastic and I'm glad there's a thread with a great OP. I waited nearly a year for season 2 to show up on Hulu and binged it in ~3 days...it was worth it. Can anyone with skills help me shrink this image to avatar size without losing a bunch of quality?

Something like this?

Bonus version with border:

Also, for the hell of it:

Come on Marco. Read my mind.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Aug 25, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Popcornicus posted:

The vocal tracks in season 2 & Battle for Mewni are awesome and replayable. I hope they do full versions of Too Little Too Late and Waiting for Me at some point.

Per these tweets from Marco's voice actor, Jarco will suffer its brutal end in season 3. I wonder how long they're planning to draw out the collapse.

Yeah, it says so right here on this thing. This...paper, piece of paper...

Take Adam's tweets with a grain of salt, since while he's very open about personally shipping Starco he doesn't have any actual input on the direction the show's going, and wouldn't intentionally divulge information about the upcoming season in any case.

On a related note though, he recently did an interview where he talked a lot about his work on Star, which some of you may be interested in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTgSMxTr5cM

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

paradoxGentleman posted:

My only hope is that Starco isn't endgame. Male-female BFFs are almost nonexistant in fiction and I feel like it'd be healthier to show that these relationships can exist and are normal.

On the one hand, you're absolutely right, and this is something that Star's VA pointed out herself back in the early days of the series. Unfortunately, even if Star and Marco don't ultimately get together, that ship has really already sailed to an extent. The only consolation really is that while they've gone down the path of portraying a budding romantic relationship, they've handled it about as well as anyone could hope-and in the process, absolutely affirmed that both members of the pair value the other's friendship far more than any other kind of relationship. Of course, we're also less than halfway through the series, and there's still plenty of directions they could ultimately go.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
As always, crew fanart is the best fanart:

More here

Edit: Bonus Eclipse Eclipsa

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 9, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Between this show and Steven Universe I'm getting really tired of bomb formats, but at least we've got a date for the new episodes now.

Also hey, Glossaryck's back

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
My understanding is that networks like Disney and CN have gotten it into their heads that they can use bomb releases to encourage Netflix-style binge watching. For network purposes, it does make some amount of sense-people's viewing habits are changing, and kids especially are less likely to watch live television than they are to simply watch their favorite shows on their phones or tablets. By releasing a bunch of episodes at once, the networks get the benefit of being able to advertise the bombs as big premier events, and when the episodes are released all at once it's more likely that each episode will receive a more equitable number of views instead of having a big drop-off after the premier (Especially if they're being watched on the app, where it's relatively easy to watch a whole bunch of episodes in one go). And, by encouraging kids to watch through the app, they can also directly advertise more shows and games that are available on the app, therefore encouraging kids to spend more time on the app, and thus garnering better numbers and thus more advertising revenue.

...Well, that's what I think is happening :words:. Whether or not it works in practice is something only the networks would know, but it is worth noting that Star was renewed for a fourth season explicitly on the back of its performance on streaming platforms, and in spite of its relatively weak television ratings. By the time episodes start airing again it will have been a full year since they last aired on a 'normal' weekly release schedule, and I've got a feeling that these types of bombs are going to be the status quo for the foreseeable future.

At least Disney's handling it better than CN, though. They said straight-up that the next episodes were coming in November along with a brief teaser just after the Battle for Mewni event, they publicly released their SDCC clip, and now we've got a trailer and a release date for the new season more than a month and a half in advance of the new episodes. In contrast, you could easily mistake SU for having been actually canceled-officially, there's just been nothing, and it wouldn't surprise me if that ultimately ended up hurting their overall ratings when the show does come back.

Edit: Just noticed the original announcement tweet was deleted for... some reason, here's the trailer on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imb-vOkz-8s

Double edit:

https://twitter.com/Giancarlo_Volpe/status/913607954573619200

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 29, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Episode titles announced:

Week 1:

11/6: Scent of a Hoodie/Rest in Pudding
11/7: Club Snubbed/Stranger Danger
11/8: Demoncism/Sophomore Slump
11/9: Lint Catcher/Trial By Square

Week 2:

11/13: Princess Turdina/Starfari
11/14: Lava Lake Beach/Sweet Dreams
11/15: Death Peck/Ponymonium
11/16: Night Life/Deep Dive, Monster Bash (1 Hour mid-season finale)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So last year they had some neat stop-motion Halloween promos, and it looks like they decided to do them again:

https://twitter.com/DisneyXD/status/916394341274234880

Last year's, for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7zSgabGt2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2TZL8vWv2I

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Double post, but there's a new trailer up on instagram of all places, and it's reaaal interesting.

Some thoughts: It definitely looks like the main conflict of the season is setting up to be Eclipsa versus Moon, with Star caught in-between. I'd also venture a guess that a major theme is going to be Star taking an active role in preparing to become the future Queen of Mewni, after spending most of the past two seasons actively avoiding it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ruflux posted:

drat, I came here expecting a new, incredibly revelatory promo from the amount of new posts and it's actually this??

Have to watch it out of spite, I guess

e: it was okay

Good news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzwhcVLC_hs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

X_Toad posted:

She just wasn't the main character, you mean. Really, that's kind of at the root of the whole problem, Dipper is clearly the main character but sometimes it feels like the show's trying to sell us Mabel as his co-star.

I think this (sort of) hits at the issue the show ran into, in that Mabel simply didn't care about the show's underlying mysteries-she just wanted to spend her summer having fun and connecting with her family. And while that was hardly a flaw of her character, as a result it often put her in opposition to Dipper and much of the show's audience, who were very much invested in figuring out the identity of the author and the secrets of Gravity Falls. Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say she wasn't a main character (She was), or that she was in any way a bad character (She wasn't), but the show definitely failed to utilize her as effectively as it did Dipper in advancing the show's central plot.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The problem with Mabel is that she kept on getting relegated to the lovely b-plots in the second season. On the other hand, Dipper's character was drastically improved when they dropped the creepy Wendy romance thing.

This is also true. That subplot was by far the worst thing about Gravity Falls, and dragged down some of the show's best episodes.