Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Skippy McPants posted:

It is in character, but there's a critical plot beat missing where she realizes she's deluding herself by trying to stay out of everything and decides to wade back in. This is an issue because the flashbacks imply she flipped a while ago, but the glimpses of her inner life from earlier episodes showed a sincere attempt to leave that all behind. We jump straight from frustrated retiree to deep state conspiracy mom. Somewhere between those two points, she made a major life-altering choice and we don't see that happen even in the flashbacks so it feels really clunky.

I do feel you there. I'd like to think that might come up in the finale if/when Moon tries to reconcile with Star, but considering how much they have to resolve, it's hard to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Xelkelvos posted:

To be fair, I think Star has been pretty fed up with Glossarik's bullshit for a while.

"They say the greatest tragedy is when a princess kills their magical mentor. I've never understood why that is; frankly, I can see an upside to it!"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Here's my take on the series:

Ultimately, while there were missteps, I think that Star was a somewhat bold and ambitious show and I commend it for that. There were a lot of themes they wanted to touch on: the journey of growing from a selfish teenager into an unselfish adult, the cruelties of attraction and love, the effects of systemic racism, the truth of past crimes affecting present injustices, and a whole host of other issues. They could have easily played it safe and gotten at least three seasons of Star and Marco fighting Ludo every week, but they wanted to have their characters and the world around them grow and evolve, and, to me, that made the show far more interesting and compelling.

The show had great characters, good jokes, good animation, an interesting overarching plot, and one of the very few romantic arcs in a show I could actually stand. I enjoyed it, and I'll miss it.

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh, I totally get why it's dangerous but it was never set up as the root of this conflict and destroying it wiped out who knows how many intelligent beings. So it feels not only arbitrary but also really loving dark in a way the show simply didn't engage with.

Magic was the root of the conflict in that it was magic that allowed the Mewmans to enjoy their unjust power structure over the monsters. Star tried to work within that system to reform it, but ultimately found that the only way to get rid of the injustices of the system was to destroy it entirely.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 19, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/BrianWithAnH/status/1130178938301440000

Brian (The show's composer if it isn't obvious) is also doing an AMA on Reddit tomorrow if you're into that kind of thing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
You know what, the more I think about the finale, the more I like it. Yeah, it didn't hit every beat that I wanted it to, and left open a lot of questions. But at the end of the day, it had some spectacular emotional beats between Star and Marco, broke the bonds of power of the mewmans over the monsters by irrevocably destroying the monarchy, and ended on a really sweet note. For me, it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
imo "Marco is trans" is one of those theories that has more going against it than for it, but the show's creators did go out of their way not to specifically disprove it, and in a later episode even tried to sneak a trans flag onto a Princess Turdina doll (Which unfortunately Disney forced them to change). So if that's how someone wants to interpret the character, I'm certainly not going to stop them.