Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The allegory kinda falls apart on the episode where all the monsters just voluntarily vacated the dimension with just a sigh and a regret.

Normally that type of thing happens forcibly with the logistical issues (and no small amount of malice) involved killing thousands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My gut reaction is that choosing a ruler by blood alone is inherently a bad idea and the monarchy should be phased out, but I'm not sure that would fit with the show. I dunno how overall interested Eclipsa really is in being queen anyways. I can never really guess which way this show is going.

It looks like they're moving to a more complex place with the whole monster persecution thing, not just one-sided oppression, but a bigger back-and-forth. Not really sure what to make of that either.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought the implication was that just anyone could use the wand. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2c70Sm51kY

'Spose it's probably wildly unlikely for a Disney product to come out as anti-monarchist in any case because Disney's put a whole lot of money into the idea of princesses, but it feels like the show's leaning away from just reestablishing the old order but with the original royal family. Heck, with Moon and River starting to gain a following, maybe there'll be a new kingdom sprouting up around them?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think of it, what's the Magical High Commission like now anyways? Are they going to let Eclipsa back in now that she's Queen again, despite that time they deposed her? Are they just down to three members?

Skippy McPants posted:

The answer for this and every other piece of media is: no, it's all shipping.

To be fair, a whole lot of this show is one kind of ship-bait or another. It's no surprise the fandom takes to it like teenaged girls at a sleepover.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder if that means it's Globgor possibly channeling power while in his crystal? Or another attack on Eclipsa? What exactly is the magical high commission's vested interest in Mewni anyways if they're not bothering to try helping Eclipsa and just being dicks?

And then there's the inside-wand episode that I don't really know what to think about. What are those butterflies? One of Eclipsa's spells on Meteora had one...What was Eclipsa's tenure as Princess/Queen like? We got some more glimpses at her days of being a meangirl with some of her spells too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tom feels a lot like some kind of corporate middle manager to me. Trying to be cool and fit in, but never really seeming like he's enjoying himself on his own terms, all he has to fill the gap is his money and status. He never really seems to be getting much out of his relationship with Star either, he just was dead set on it, and now he has it.

Rhombulus is fun and while he deserves all the punishment he gets and more, I'm gonna miss him.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't Marco and Jackie date for like a week tops? Doesn't seem like there was much for there to be unresolved feelings about on her end.

Tom really seems fundamentally uninterested in Star's deeper feelings about her place in the world, and while it's fine for him to be upset that Star bailed on their trip after spending all day getting ready to go on it, but if you don't wanna be there for your significant other's important life decisions, then maybe they'll choose things that won't involve you. Or heck, if you're uninterested in their inner turmoil, maybe you're just not that interested in them personally.

Heckapoo's dimension is super hosed-up and the taco place has a very diverse rogue's gallery.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's very unclear why the Commission is doing the things it's doing. There has to be some extra dimension to why they hate eclipsa. They seem like they otherwise don't really care about Mewmans, Mewnie, or really any of the rest of Star's dimension.

The magic dimension is hosed, and it's probably ultimately Eclipsa's fault, since that purple is the corruption that Moon got from using Eclipsa's spells, washed off into the magic goop. It's probably bad for the rest of the multiverse, although the relation is kinda nebulous. That could be why the portals were shut down, or it could have been the magical high commission, or some third thing. There's still the question of what spells were being cast at the monster temple that the commission was concerned about (they said it wasn't eclipsa's magic, and Mina wasn't at the monster temple) and what possible bearing on anything that errant spell of Eclipsa's inside the wand could have on anything.

Sure hope Globgor makes it to the end of this alive. And Moon has basically founded a new kingdom at this point, by whatever standards of what defines a kingdom. I guess maybe a little more fortification on the yurt and it's a new castle.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah the only thing that seems to qualify someone for being a monster is living on Mewni and not being rich. The weird creatures from other dimensions that would totally be considered Monsters on Mewni but aren't are another example.

Toffee and Ludo seemed pretty loaded.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I mean, Eclipsa didn't seem like she much wanted to be queen again anyways. All she really wanted was her child and her husband. If Moon just asked Eclipsa to step down, she might just have done it.

She wasn't really a good queen, she wasn't good at managing the kingdom. She had one good policy, but no real plan towards implementing it. She never did anything malicious aside from developing the magic that has cursed the magic dimension. If anyone wanted to have influence on her regime they were pretty free to, there's no clear reason for any of this. There's also now the question of what the hell actually happened in the Ghost of Butterfly Castle episode, since it appears to have been directly contradicted.

PS, the main source of Mewny's problems is probably more that it sucks to be a medieval peasant before the development of the concept of civil rights.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Glossaryck said he'd die and Star just kinda went on with things. Kinda messed up.

Much as my personal inclination is towards democracy and away from aristocracy, the show has really leaned towards the idea that the people of Mewni are mostly ignorant peasants who are helpless without authority, whether that's just because they're uneducated or if they've been trained over generations into helplessness is up for grabs.

Either way, just cutting out magic completely doesn't seem like a real solution. Without magic, they'd just jump to about the twelfth century and maybe they can figure out civil rights in about 800 years.

Nephthys posted:

Moon's betrayal makes perfect sense and it has been built up over the season.

But it also requires some episodes to have not happened, like when Moon gave a hard no to Mina with no room for ambiguity, or when Moon kept insisting she was fine with Eclipsa being queen. Whatever happened requires Moon to have made some kind of very extreme change of heart entirely offscreen.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Overall the show never really seemed like it had a long-term strategy for where it was going, although it was especially fragmented and confused headed towards the finale. It gave the show a weird unpredictable edge that wasn't exactly bad, but also meant that you're gonna have loose ends, bad foreshadowing, and underwhelming arcs.

I guess philosophically this is sort of the anarchist choice? Power has been abused, so it must be destroyed so nobody can use it? It kinda feels like a solution out of proportion to the problem? Kind of a lot of dead and murdered sentient beings? Maybe the final scene would've been better if they did a little montage of all the people of other dimensions having fun with the new world they're in? Because otherwise this is a whole apocalyptic thing that seems very bad for most people. Also it sucks to not get a real rundown of happy endings for characters. They could even slot the spells in there as having survived the breakdown of dimensions because what counts as "magic" or not is total bullshit anyways.

Also what the gently caress was up with the purple junk. Like I know it was Eclipsa's stuff, but why and what and why.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well right now, there's OK KO, Craig of the Creek, and Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, they all fit the sort of model of comedy first, with more dramatic narrative elements steadily creeping up into center stage. There's also more comedic stuff like Milo Murphy's Law and The Amazing World of Gumball.

There's a number of shows slated to start up pretty soon, but it's hard to say how good they'll be until they come out. Viking Skool, Owl House, Amphibia, Close Enough, and Infinity Train.

Netflix has a slew of stuff that I mostly haven't watched yet, and I get the sense that Netflix has more money than they know what to do with for investing into projects. Aggretsuko sure was good and has a second season coming, and I've heard good things about Dragon Prince and the new She-Ra.

And entirely outside of the normal TV system there's stuff like Cartoon Hangover or Rooster Teeth making their own cartoons like Camp Camp and Nomad of Nowhere.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Marco always felt kinda shallow to me as a character. He didn't have much of an arc, his primary purposes were to react to weird magic stuff and be a target of romantic interests. Whenever the show followed him alone for a while, it always felt kinda weak.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It was pretty obvious that they had no cohesive plans for what to do with season 4. They set up plot threads with no payouts, they did payouts without really having setups, they introduced concepts only to shut them down immediately, and they really failed to meaningfully develop the conclusion that they were headed towards (the magical high commission as villains worthy of execution, "magic" as the root of all evil, Moon having any direct criticisms of Eclipsa). The biggest thing that I would directly call a "mistake" is doing the epilogue early with Ponyhead just making stuff up that may or may not be true. They could've just taken the time they allotted for that, moved it to the end, and done a little epilogue scene running through the newly merged world and seeing all the other characters.

Tom and Star's breakup seemed realistic enough, they had all the chemistry of Anakin and Padme. I feel like the writers could've managed a going steady romance on the show, but I get it, they wanted to use momentum from shipping more than anything else.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think she showed up again, but I imagine her dating prospects are probably better now.

The show really focused more on giving Star and Marco their happy ending than wrapping up the extended cast or wrapping up the setting.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It just feels really arbitrary how some creatures are magic and some aren't regardless of how many supernatural powers they have or whether they're part of some otherwise fundamental force of the universe. It establishes a separation that was in no way clear beforehand, and it kinda makes some things seem shallow if it turns out it was all a farce to maintain the power of the Mewni royalty.

And again, a number of characters that just cease to be, rather than just be depowered or go off with Glossaryk to parts unknown. It's a really weird note to end on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess I sure hope that a number of supernatural entities have lost their supernatural abilities since now there isn't any magic to keep them in check. Like if the regenerating lizardmen decided to start another undying army, that'd sure be a problem. It'll already be hard enough to deal with the literally hostile wilderness.

And at the same time, a whole lot of Mewni's infrastructure relied on magical-seeming things. Their cell phones, Lavado's washing machine, and they even sure seemed like they relied on regular access to other dimensions.

Skippy McPants posted:

I think the distinction is between magical creatures like Ponyhead and creatures created by magic like the High Commission or Wand Spells. The former get to keep on existing, while the latter... don't.

I guess technically they still exist, but they've been reduced to component pieces? Rhombulus is a rock and some no-longer-sentient snakes, and Omnitraxxus's skull is still there. Perhaps Heckapoo had some kind of non-magical component as well.

I will say they did an interesting job of setting up the fact that neither Star or Marco wanted to give up their families and worlds while wanting to be together, it's just annoying that the writers didn't think the audience would have any feelings for the magical extended cast. They could've cut them some slack just like they cut some slack for the "magical" extended cast.