Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm looking forward to seeing what Ludo will do when they finally get Toffee out of his head. I wouldn't be surprised if he gave up on magic on the whole considering how badly it screwed him on both fronts (both Toffee and Glossaryck) last season. He's definitely unlikely to be quite the same at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You could also check out Phineas and Ferb if you haven't already seen it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wanna have a scene where one of Alan Tudyk's characters does a mocking impression of the other. Either River Butterfly doing Ludo or vice versa, I don't care which, it would just be cute. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the implication that everyone will end on the same page, even if not on the same side - everyone is in equal amounts of trouble.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That's a really good preview. I like that Princess Moon is similar but distinct to Star in that they are both very aggressive in their own way, but Star is in more the "charge right in and hope for the best" kind of girl, while her mother is more "Now that I've made my territory in this camp clear with this blanket, I've just spotted 13 different ways to kill you with this very camp just while eating my turkey leg". Moon didn't give a fuuuuuck

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Is it airing already or was that something I missed in an earlier episode?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK, just finished the final segment. That was really good. I especially loved (ending)Toffee-Toffee (because he has been reduced to toffee in consistency :v:) all slorping towards the cast half melted and raving after that blast. That was brutal. I also liked his line "You don't even recognise your own magic when you're swimming in it..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

From the goo pile he became I think the real reason Toffee has that name is that he has the consistency of Toffee - you can break him relatively easily, but he'll just run back together again and hit back even harder. He's basically made of goo, which is why he's so hard to actually kill.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always liked that Toffee was the only character who didn't play by everyone else's rules. On some level, the conflicts within Mewni are gamified in certain scenes in a way that gives the characters greater context for why the conflicts are pointless or misrepresented:
1) The reenactment of the Mewni Monster Massacre showing Star that the monsters weren't the bad guys there

2)The huge game of king of the hill that represents political/inter-familial backstabbing that only serves to further damage their relationships with each other

3)The board game that Queen Moon plays with Buff Frog that helps her see that they are both being guided by the same propaganda, just with the positions switched, and that there is no difference between them in any real sense.

The main difference between the villains is how they treat these situations - Ludo wants to play the game by it's own rules, by gaining his own magic so that he can fight the royal family on his own terms and at least hope to win. He desperately wants to sit at the big girls table and play politics with the others, but they don't take him seriously and he overcompensates.

Toffee however, has no interest in playing. He tries to be "above it all" by destroying the game by destroying magic itself, completely leveling the playing field until Star's rebirth - until she returns, noone has magic and both the player's castles are in ruins. Toffee has thrown the board into the fire and declared victory by default, not even sticking around for the climax - he was just going to leave everyone in the ruins of the castle, go home and have a beer now that they were no longer any threat. He didn't even do Ludo the favour of blaming his weak body for his eventual failure - he just crushes his spirit completely and walks off (Ludo: "Did I play any part in this?" Toffee: *Dismissively*"No.")

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I could see Eclipsa being Moon without restraint. When Moon lost her mother to a great evil, she sought out a particular spell that could kill him, she was dabbling out of necessity - what if that spell was created because a different evil took Eclipsa's mother, and she just went ballistic and in her madness her magic twisted into the darkness she became known for? If Moon did corrupt in a similar way, she could even be a good counterpoint - "This is your magic on evil. Any questions?" The black magic may not be evil, but rage. Blind, chaotic, burn-the-whole-world-and-everything-in-it unfocused rage. Hence her seeming kinda nice - maybe being stuck in crystal let her cool off and stabilise herself?

I did love that BTW with Moon losing her mind with rage and grief after Star's death. First going after Toffee with no magic and no plan, just blind hatred (with the bonus that he kind of let her get it all out, he didn't just leave. He engaged enough to block her attacks and then let her try her immortal killing spell, then when she'd done, he, relatively gently, pushes her into the earth so she can't pursue him. Compare him just swatting Marco aside - he could easily have done the same to Moon but didn't. Maybe his one act of mercy, letting a grieving mother let all her rage out on him?) and second deliriously trying to put the wand back together like a jigsaw puzzle mumbling to herself like a dark souls character ("If I can just.... oh god why won't it fit....") It was really hard to watch but in a really good way. It felt very visceral.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 16, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm hoping that we eventually see Buff Frog's kids full grown, because Katrina will probably be amazing when she hits Star's age. I'd love to see her catching one of her dad's friends making fun of him for going "soft" and her just stepping in to intimidate the guy. You know she'll be as buff as her daddy when she gets there. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm happy that Ludo got the killing blow. Felt pretty good to see him swatting Toffee with that pillar.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

With the person who mentioned resurrecting characters could set a bad precedent and kill the stakes, I think the idea was done fairly well in Steven Universe - Steven can bring people and animals back to life in some limited form, but they come back not themselves - they tend to be bright pink with no mesurable pulse and no need to eat - basically magical zombies but with their minds intact.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Toffee's new form (and entire storyline):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J8mkHUsiXY

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the hypocrisy of the royal family - they are super racist against monsters but think nothing of consorting with literal demons just because they have a real ruling class that they can hobnob with. The Avarians never came across as a royal family in that sense to me, more nouveau-riche family living in a mcmansion, partially because Moon was still being pretty lovely about her behaviour when meeting with them. Very closed off and try-not-to-touch anything in posture.

Edit: Or it could be like a lot of portrayals of elves and dwarves - elves are considered "Better" by virtue of being elves in most traditional settings while dwarves are the underground tinkerers that tend to get ignored.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I did like how they started to drop the Wendy crush - Dipper goes back in time with Mabel, and sees a 3 year old Wendy, and her friend points out "Wendy thinks your cute :3:". Then Dipper is just "Ok, I get it, that is kinda creepy. Shut up..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm liking Eclipsa so far and I'm looking forward to seeing where her plot is going.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll be interested to see if the angle they're taking with Eclipsa isn't that she's the villain herself, but that her deeds made the high commission do bad things/make bad calls due to their prejudice towards her lover.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Shitenshi posted:

That's not even getting into how Ludo's family is still in some kind of good graces with Moon even after all of his antics. They even had their own castle before he took it over. Probably has something to do with blueblood connections as opposed to any real classification of what kind of monsters are okay to discriminate against.

I'll be honest, if they were as bad as Ludo made them out to be (which may be unreliable narration in his telling his stories about them, but he seems too straightforward a person to lie about it intentionally) they should have seen Ludo's outburst coming. They went on vacation and he changed the locks - that's all, at least based on how they described it. They either weren't planning on taking him or didn't notice that he wasn't there with them which is pretty damning either way, so I'm kind of sympathizing with Ludo on that conflict.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm enjoying Eclipsa so far, but she's gonna have to be really on her A-game to Eclipse (:v:) Ludo and Toffee's performances from last season. ATM I'm enjoying Eclipsa a lot, but Ludo is still a personal favourite. We'll see how her story unfolds though, she's only had one episode to breathe while Ludo had 2 seasons of build up and a lot of screen time to play with.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I kind of liked how the Quest-Buy episode ended. :3: The final scene wasn't just a cut Marco/Star moment, but also established that not only are the squires under a lot of pressure they're only as bad as their knights, who are assholes who don't appreciate them.

Also the Eclipsa gag in the prior episode was amusing too. "Real Dragon Chain. Really makes a girl feel free."

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 9, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm liking how chill Eclipsa is, it's like she's turned Star's selfishness so high it's caused an overflow error, as Star would not be this calm herself under similar circumstances. I wouldn't be surprised if she's trying to put of a front of being "OK" with her imprisonment because she knows that trying to escape would only fuel Moon's fire towards her and is hoping she'll show her leniency, considering (unless she really is that selfish) it's probably killing her not to know how her husband's doing. She's probably using wit and dry sarcasm as a coping mechanism to deal with a situation that would be stressful for anyone.

Part of me is hoping to see little one-on-one scenes with her and other characters like Marco.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 9, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Am I the only one who, while enjoying the main characters fine, is not invested in Mewni at all? It's just a kingdom of idiots, assholes and lunatics, all we've seen of the standard people of Mewni have been people exhibiting the worst kinds of behaviour. Monsters tell stories about Mewmans being assholes, but from what we've seen that's not a stereotype, it's just how it is.

Moon's having trouble explaining exactly why Eclipsa is bad, getting stuck on "She eloped with a monster" which is just not helping her case at all - if Eclipsa did something else, anything else then LEAD WITH THAT you idiot. It seems that she really is just doubling down on racism as an excuse to persecute Eclipsa, when you think her meeting with Buff Frog would at least start her questioning things somewhat.

The peasants are generally just poo poo people, constantly making GBS threads on whoever they can get away with, which isn't fun to watch, and the High Commission come across as incredibly petty.

It feels like Magic may be to blame for how poo poo Mewni is in general, because they never had to understand their world and people as well as Earth did, because if they didn't like the way something worked magic could make an exception, while Earth had no easy way to manipulate it's laws - Citizens of Earth had to LEARN it's laws the hard way developing critical thinking skills to constantly advance their understanding of things and work out how to manipulate things on more and more elaborate levels, while whenever Mewni discovered magic it got stunted by it - they never had to really examine themselves or monsters on any real level for medical purposes, so old myths remained because there was no challenge to them - why challenge traditions when you can use magic to brute-force a solution instead?

Certainly Earth had it's issues with scientific racism and things like that, but eventually we started moving past that. Because we had people who could think about it and realise how screwed up it was.

I guess my thesis is this: Magic made Mewni Intellectually lazy, and the people have been stuck in a permanent dark age because of that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I did love the couples in the newest episode. Skelly/Skelly OTP :3:

Also "I'd fight anyone for you."
"Would you fight... me?"
"To the death :black101:"
":swoon:"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm loving from the last pair of episodes that Star has united all the princes/princesses behind her cause. She got a solid foundation now - she's gone from pipe-dream to political party. GO STAR! DOWN WITH THE MATRIARCHY! :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Monster Bash: That party was drat close to going well. loving Mina. The new worst person in Mewni. Never liked her.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'd be interested to see things escalate in an unpredictable direction, like have Eclipsa, Meteora and Star all fighting together against Moon and Mina.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Eh, the cracks were already showing-everyone was having a fun time, sure, but even if the cops hadn't gotten involved the bigotry was still noticeably bubbling beneath the surface. The party was well-intentioned, but it was never going to be anything more than a start-and it's going to be important for Star to realize that if she truly wants to change things, it's going to take a lot more work-potentially that of a lifetime.

Of course, while it was only a start - it was a good start. It was overall a melancholy episode, but with a undercurrent of hope - that when the old guard finally piss off and stop trying to get in the way of the future of Mewni, the youth will have a good shot at making this happen. After all, everyone at the party was trying to make things work, despite the obvious awkwardness - it wasn't until tensions started to build that old arguments bubbled to the surface. I also like Spiderbite pointing out explicitly what is wrong with Mina - she is a genuine monster,
by our definition. Not categorised by her appearence or class, like the capital-M Monsters on Mewni, but her behaviour.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Either way, even if she isn't a proper capital V Villain, Mina needs to be put on crystal - no asylum could hold her with how powerful she is and she's clearly schizophrenic (she hears voices speaking to her from her rock, so the actual definition of audio-visual hallucinations, not the Hollywood one), and no matter how well Star does, Mina is going to end up hurting someone someday - probably even someone Mewni cares about. Maybe that's the whole point of this arc even, everyone's so focused on judging Eclipsa and Meteora for what they are that they are missing the real threat.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Next-day unspoilered speculation time.

The theory I heard that makes the most sense is that Meteora was still a toddler when the Magic High Commission came for her mother. But Eclipsa saw the end coming, so she smuggled her daughter to St. Olga's and placed her in the care of Gemini and the headmistress of the time, making them swear not to tell her daughter about her heritage. This would help explain why Gemini seemed a bit more nervous than astonished when Meteora discovered her baby room and why all the toys are appropriate for a very young child. The current Queen Butterfly then came across the baby room and set a guard to watch the door in case Meteora should return.

Alternately, the queen currently in charge of the MHC (Eclipsa's sister or firstborn daughter) packed Meteora off without telling the Commission members, because either way you think they'd have mentioned "oh, and she had a Monster baby" on her list of crimes if marrying a Monster was bad enough. And apparently that queen took her secret to her grave since Moon has been having a lot of trouble building her case against Eclipsa.

Like adding "Had a child with her husband" would actually affect her case in any way, Star would just dismiss that the same way she dismissed Eclipsa's elopement. Remember, the difficulty Moon is having is convincing Star. No one else matters to her because they are already in lockstep with her.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Again though, while that word means everything to Mewni as a whole, it would fail to convince Star. As far as Moon cares Mewni is already behind her, she wants Star on board too though, otherwise she probably would have crystalled Eclipsa after Star left the room - this trial isn't about Mewni, and it isn't about Eclipsa, it's about an ideological war that is threatening to spark with Moon and the Magical High Council on one side, and Star, Marco and the heirs of Mewni on the other.

If Star wanted to be cheeky about it she could respond "Well Mewni's been loving monsters for thousands of years, how is what Eclipsa did any different?" :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm thinking that Eclipsa's "dark" magic was probably developed out of Necessity - the way it was put was she "abandoned her kingdom to run away with a monster" - she probably considered that her husband wouldn't be safe anywhere near Mewni capital and decided it wasn't worth staying if it would put him at risk and fled, knowing that she would likely be pursued and made a lot of enemies she probably developed the All-Seeing Eye so that she could see them coming, and in case of an attempt on her or her husband's life by something hard to kill by conventional means, (like a mewberty form Butterfly), developed the Killing Spell as a last resort.

Also, note how Star and Mina reacted to Meteora's true lineage:

Star: She's a Butterfly...
Mina: She's a monster.

Star sees her as one of the family now, no longer the feared headmistress, but a lost great-aunt who doesn't know what to do and needs help. As Miss Heinous she was a great threat, but as Meteora, she looked like a lost child clutching her dolls who'd likely do anything to reunite her family. I wouldn't be surprised if Meteora became a key ally of Star's, as a symbol of Mewman/Monster unity. A girl with her feet in both worlds.

Also it would be cool to see Star start researching Mewni's history via any angle she can find to unravel the mess that was made, and when questioned about some of the more unorthodox avenues she is taking throw out "All knowledge is good knowledge..."

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 17, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's be amusing if Ludo didn't return for a while, and got really confused when he did to see Star and her friends campaigning for his rights. "Wow. A lot's changed since I've been gone... :stare:"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'd love for a character to question how the wand changes for them, like if it became something they didn't expect, like if it changed alongside the wielder as they personally changed. A calm Ludo who actually knows what he wants gets it and it just becomes a big pink heart on a stick, and he's just like "Huh... I guess this is me now... :crossarms:"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think it's because they've finally started doing what they've been building to with Mewni, so it's no longer just a medieval setpiece for the battles. I'm kind of hoping to see Star slowly building support over multiple arcs, not able to do it all at once, but winning hearts and minds initially one by one, then with small icebreakers as she gains support, then eventually having entire villages of Mewmans and Monsters behind her crusade, openly trading with each other, exchanging cultural ideas, and generally starting to build the kind of world that they are looking for with or without the Council's approval. It's going to take a lot of time, but eventually it will start to snowball, and even Mina won't be able to stop it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ponymonium: FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD! Was amazing though. King Ponyhead owns.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Overall I thought the first part was... ok. But it really came together in part 2 with the Spells chilling in Star's Wand. I love that the Mewman/Monster culture clash is being reflected there as well with the spells having to start dealing with the alien thought processes of Eclipsa's spells moving in, and the All-Seeing Eye having to adjust to things as well. That was the strongest part of the episode IMO.

Also it recontextualised the prior episode dealing with the same subject matter - The wand episode established that the wand itself is a microcosm of Mewni. Spider is succeeding where Star is failing in his pursuit of inclusivity because he is basically in charge of the realm within the wand - not officially, but his behaviour places him there. As a result, the other spells have been following his lead for years - he has rubbed off on them. They are all willing to try to be nice and consider the behaviours of others because Spider has been putting up with all their poo poo for years. Spider is representative of where Star wants to be. Star, however, has her mother and Mina to contend with, among other obstacles.

Edit: Also, something I just thought of regarding said points: I think the All Seeing Eye is just repeating what he has been taught - he only ever is used to allow the user to see things people don't want them to see - of course all the truths he reveals independently of instructions are negative, it's all he knows. In being allowed to wander the wand at his leisure he is finally able to experience positive stimuli and expand his perspective on honesty.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 2, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder if it was as Star believed 'disrespecting the stump' by having her party or because everyone started fighting that incurred the Stump's wrath.

I'm guessing the fighting - it would fit the current theme that most traditions of Mewni are getting in the way of it's wellbeing. The stump doesn't give a poo poo about Star's Birthday clashing with it's own, it can share. The problem is everyone else misinterpreting the point of the holiday.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also, comparing the All-Seeing Eye to a police state is kind of insulting to the All-Seeing Eye - It's not his fault that he's considered an "evil" spell, it's just how he's been used. At least within the confines of the wand, he seems to be learning how to be... better in his own way. He doesn't make or enforce any rules, unlike a police state, he just records what people in the room are doing - he's just a sentient Go-Pro with no sense of boundaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I feel that the holiday special in the wand has thematic relevance at least, due to the concept of the other spells having to learn to accept Seeing Eye despite his relatively warped concepts of morality, and Seeing Eye having to become more flexible to adapt to the wand's way of life in turn.