Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been looking forward to this returning - the main thing I'm concerned about is this - how will whatever Eclipsa has planned affect Star's hopes for the future of Mewni? If she has some plan in motion to harm or humiliate Moon, that will likely badly damage any attempt Star has with getting a rapport going between Mewman's and Monsters, because Eclipsa right now is a symbol for what Star is trying to do - if everyone assuming Eclipsa is up to no good is proven correct, and in turn Star proven to have been naive about her, then they'll likely be confident to assume that their assumptions about Monsters are also correct, despite that not being how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love Ludo too, he's just so earnest. It was really satisfying watching him master the Levitato spell because he made a good counterpoint to Star - far weaker power but he was trying so hard, where she had limitless power and couldn't be assed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

I just want to see that little guy get his redemption and reward. He's bloody earned it.

I'm hoping that he sees what Star's trying to do and decides to help in his own way - Star is a catalyst for change from the Mewman side, it would be good for her to have one on the Monster's side as well, working along side her and the Youth of Mewni. (I figured since they provide a united front together trying to make peace happen, they deserve an actual group name to counterpoint the Magical High Council.) Star discussing politics with Eclipsa and Ludo would be a neat direction.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Given the events of Starfari, I'm pretty sure Buff Frog is going to be the one who takes point on that given his newly appointed position as the Royal Monster Expert. He's also already had interactions with Moon on the topic, so it would make sense if they continued to build on the relationship between those two characters were Buff Frog to take a more direct role.

I actually forgot that job change entirely. Whoops.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm hoping that if/when we see Meteora's complete form it will be somewhat surprising. Currently Heinous has a hairy arm and that's it, but maybe once the rest of her matches she'll look somewhat interesting.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One thing I'm curious is if there is a schism between Moon and Star, what will River do? Who's side will he take, or will he abstain and try to figure things out for himself? He certainly has been given some food for thought in his interactions with the giant monster who only came over because he misunderstood a vague signal, and made a fairly reasonable request.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

An overall thing I'm hoping is that Buff Frog's children outside of Katrina grow up to be all different. It would be very easy to keep them identical, but right now they are still froglets, so when they reach full maturity I'm hoping for different builds and interests among them as opposed to them all being just smaller versions of their father. I'm thinking that Katrina will be either the only one to reach Buff Frog's swoleness levels or that she will surpass his strength though, the way she is growing so far.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wonder if these two episodes will take place simultaneously, a la the babysitting one/Is Mystery. So Moon gets River to take Star on a wild bogbeast chase while she does some investigation of her own.

Bogbeast for new ally.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On the final tag: YAY DENNIS! :neckbeard:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A few interesting things from Eclipsa from the latest eps:

She never learned how to use magic without her wand. That's interesting, as the thought-by-Moon-to-be arc villain, and as a new character normally they are increasingly powerful to keep up with the ongoing conflict, eg everyone in DBZ and their mother going Super Saiyan.

Also, I love how she didn't care about her trial when it was just her rear end on the line, she can handle that. Now that she knows that her daughter may be/have been in danger though, now she's finally showing concern. I loved that small moment of "They erased my daughter... and I'm the one on trial?... :("

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think my personal favourite line in Total Eclipsa the Moon was this little exchange:

Moon: How is that possible?
Eclipsa: Well, when a queen of Mewni and a monster love each other very much...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm kind of hoping we see Eclipsa make a new spell at some point - during a fight of some kind, things aren't going her way and she starts a new recitation out of desperation to, I don't know, calm Meteora before she hurts someone or something. You just know that she was in a bad place when she made the spell to kill the unkillable. Whoever she designed that spell for must have really pissed her off.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Everyone is harping on Eclipsa and Star's selfishness, but Moon isn't innocent of that herself - she has had her own disasters, like due to failing to kill Toffee when Star's age, deliberately sparing him so Eclipsa wouldn't be freed, she left him alive. Then, 30 years later he kills Lekmet, which IMO is largely due to Moon's failure to kill him so that she wouldn't have to deal with people knowing she went to Eclipsa for help.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Unless I've missed or forgotten something he's already been resurrected - he's badly damaged though and can only say "Globcor"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Seems like there is a strong theme of Monstrous (as in unreasonable bastard) vs Monster (creatures of Mewni designated as such officially) going on here -

The High Commission (Moon Included) are not evil per se, or monsters in the classical sense, but they are shortsighted assholes enforcing a status quo because they are incurious about capital M Monsters despite having been in danger of being on the other side of that line themselves. They are as a result in the long run a neutral party making things harder for everyone, Monsters and Royals. Moon will need to take a side however. She cannot have both a daughter and the High Commission unless Star manages to convince them to side with her.

Toffee is both, a Monster and a Twat.

Eclipsa may be called/thought of as a monster due to the nature of her magic and she married a literal Monster, but at least she is trying to play nice with Moon and seems to genuinely like Star.

Mina is an edge case, she is crazy and it's turned her into something monstrous.

Miss Heinous remains to be seen, whether Meteora is vengeful or just lost is yet to be revealed. Heinous was monstrous as head mistress - but is Meteora just a Monster like Buffrog who will try to find her mother and carve a niche, or in her awakening will she attempt to get even with those who did her wrong?

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 5, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That was rad.

"Did you make a guitar.. out of... bones?"
"I work with what I have to hand dear :smug:."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I just connected - Eclipsa likes playing heavy metal. Heinous/Meteora's preferred genre of music is heavy metal :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeesh, (first one) if Buff-frog tries earth he have an unpleasant surprise - we have enough trouble getting along with our own species, let alone sapient amphibians.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Considering the timing of the episode (17th March): What if Buff-frog leaves because the outcome of the trial makes him feel no longer safe in Mewni?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

With how the characters ended up It wouldn't surprise me to see it become the Mewman Royal Family vs the Magical High Council or at least all three of them questing to find and help Meteora. All three of them were lined up against the Council in that shot after all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A nice thing regarding that is that Star and Eclipsa both seem to regret that ("You mean you're not my great great whatever grandmother?" "No dear, I'm not.") . I bet if Eclipsa were to have a greatx4 granddaughter she'd have wanted her to be like Star.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that Rhombulous's snake arms are characters by themselves. I think my favourite moment with them is when he accidentally crystalises Lekhmet and his snakes try to cheer him up while he's freaking out: "*motioning to the dumbbell* How about we do a few sets huh? That always makes you feel better! :3:"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's his own drat fault, too.

I liked during the ending with "How old are you? 0-15, 16-25... Oh! 26-35!" "Uhh... Star?" "You have a lot of catching up to do..."

Also Is Another Mystery was sad. :(

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I do like that they explicitly aren't abandoning Star - they are fully supporting her claim to the throne and looking forward to the day when she calls the shots because they feel like they'll finally be safe under her rule. However, with Moon in charge and the High Commission and Mina running amok, they just can't settle down yet. Their village was almost wiped out by the former Monster Expert afterall.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

It always freaks me out a bit when I remember that people actually imported their ice from glaciers and frozen lakes hundreds of miles away. The ice trade was such an unfathomable large industry, which completely died due to one invention.

loving ELSA!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just love Katrina's arms. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Did you skip the upcoming weekend on purpose, because that second one has a large spoiler.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm enjoying Heinous's gradual transformation into full Meteora, and realisation of just how few allies she really has. Rastagan had better watch his rear end next time he regenerates.

I also liked her minion's final words: "If you wanted my heart, all you had to do was ask. :smith:"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

coronatae posted:

I’m getting a little confused about the timeline if Meteora has memories of her monster temple nursery but was handed over to St. Olga as an infant but I also figure this will be resolved somehow.

It was also hard for me to get a clear read on Rasticore’s thoughts— seems like attempting to gracefully bow out of the situation along with some meaningless fluff at the end?

Point 2: Maybe Rasticore only cared about being Meteora's henchman when she was human because to go along with the Monster/Mewman divide being a race metaphor, he had a Human Fetish - now that she's a monster he's losing interest. Meteora has been talking to his arm as if they were a thing, and the parting speech was clearly mirroring a cowardly attempt at a breakup after all. Maybe it's an attempt at evening out the narrative to avoid the monsters being All Nice Forever and showing that bad behaviour, while worse from the Mewmans, has come from both sides. Although the Mewmans are clearly way worse even with that. The only Monster as bad as a Mewman has been portrayed is Toffee.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wromg character nevermind

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 25, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

All this magic stuff has really started to take a toll on Marco's perception of reality.

Also, Meteora is probably not going to come out of this happy however things go down.

I have a feeling that Meteora is going to be brought down to her lowest point, and then Star and Eclipsa will try to pull her out of it, and help her build her life back up from scratch - no strings from St Olga's, her life will be Pure Meteora, however she chooses to live it. She just has to deal with some growing pains first - losing her butler's life and her bodyguards loyalty is necessary for her to excise all past problems from her life and try again. That's probably partly why she looks younger the more she changes - she may end up looking Star's age by the time she completes her change, and maybe even joining her and the rest of the royal children in trying to make Mewni better in the long run.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

Hard to say given she's been literally brainwashed into being who she is nearly all her life; the flashback has her being strapped into the Clockwork Orange device and taught to suppress her nature in ways that she ended up doing to herself once her caretaker was gone, in a pretty tragic example of the cycle of abuse. And nobody else knows that she's Meteora yet, and her being the true heir to Mewni is the only part of her identity she has to go on now, and something she probably has a pretty good argument for having the right to pursue. She's otherwise destroyed pretty much everything tying her to her old life, though still getting weird over Rasticore, and clinging to the few things she actually enjoys or can look forward to.

Could be set up for a few things, especially if she actually has a reunion with her mother, and a theme of her having the opportunity to make a desperately needed re-invention of herself and move past what she's suffered.

Also, lol that St O's has become a petty teen princess tyranny of examinations. I'm sure there's sororities that ended up like this.

The Meteora thing definitely has an undercurrent of freedom from rigidity - as soon as Miss Heinous was thrown out of St Olga's, this was an inevitability as she was free to wander as she pleased. Initially that was to attempt to get revenge on Marco, but then wandering into her nursery triggered the true awakening. As such Meteora is moving much more fluidly than she did before, and her hair is falling out of place and going to the Princess Hair that Star and her Mother sport as teenagers. Now, what was once a schoolmarm trapped by her own rules is now a free spirit, with the agency and power to pursue anything that her heart desires. Of course at the moment things are starting to fall too far in the other direction for her as she has clearly lost some of her mind, probably due to the shock of a whole new person coming to the fore.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just saw them myself - I like that Eclipsa (second episode) Clearly recognises that Star is the best hope for her and Meteora's future, and that Moon is a strong ally, and clearly thinks of them as real friends. She recognises that the actions of Moon's great-grandma don't impact on Moon or Star themselves, that they are the same family but better people. In her eyes, their actions have earned them the throne, Star especially. She just wants Meteora to see that.

Also I thought the first episode of the pair was at least funny.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I loved her conversation with Meteora:

"What would you like me to call you?"
"Baby Smooth..."
"Oh... OK:???:"
:kimchi:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Eclipsa and Moon's next meeting is probably going to be a little awkward. "You tried to beat up my daughter when I was close to getting through to her. That was very very poor parenting Moon :mad:"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I quite liked about the second episode was that Meteora doesn't consider her time as Miss Heinous to be wasted years or a double life - Meteora was the Headmistress at St Olga's and she still loved every minute of it and regrets being ousted. Also like the exchange regarding that with her mother:

"I was a great Headmistress..."
"You did steal the souls of your pupils to maintain your youth..."
"Oh... you noticed :("

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I really liked seeing Eclipsa fighting, seeing more of her spells was a treat. Especially Velvet Inferno, that one was pretty cool. It feels like it's supposed to burn the magic/soul out of the opponent, in Meteora's case releasing all the souls she'd eaten since taking over St Olgas. It looked cool though. I also love that as far as we know she was on side from the start. Also I liked that moment when the stress of being Acting-Queen kind of turned Star into her mother a bit, especially ignoring Eclipsa's cries of "What are you going to do to my daughter!" That was pretty cold just leaving her like that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'm suspicious of an Earth twist, too, but even if it is that's not a manhole. Those were clearly wooden planks keeping a well closed.

Agreed, although the Earth having to deal with a sudden influx of magic would be a really cool plotline, just not right now, or for this show specifically.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

To be fair we're the worst thing about real life, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I hope the Dowager Dimension is old and bitter that the Andromeda dimension broke up with her and left her to ruin.