Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just caught up on this show, it's extremely good and I regret not getting into it earlier

That said, is there any fan content that isn't shipping, because that's all I can find

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
despite the reputations fandoms have there is usually at least some good content in there

the star fandom is unusual, in that it makes me feel like I need to have a hazmat suit on to safely observe it

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skippy McPants posted:

I feel like this is true of any popular kids show that has overlap appeal with adults. See also: Gravity Falls and Adventure Time.

there's "average fandom" bad which describes all those shows

and then there's "I've seen the word 'loli' more times than I'm comfortable with" bad

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Anyway, Morningmark on Tumblr/Instagram has fun comics, though he is also partly responsible for the obnoxious number of fan kids.

Rad-Star is also a good follow for decent-to-good fanart that pops up on Tumblr.

these are good thanks

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:kimchi:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/piriie/status/1118581012148043776

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://mioko-san.tumblr.com/post/173194860662/golden-heart-patreon-ko-fi-commissions

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

From S3E3

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
due to a curse jackie can only stop skateboarding while within 10 feet of marco

she was definitely used as a plot device but eh, not every character has to be important

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really don't feel Mina would be at all interesting as a villain and I hope she isn't the end boss

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I like how they just had an entire episode about the cast getting high

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Magic isn't good or evil and I don't think Star is going to destroy it. It's power. The reason it's caused so many problems is that the only people allowed to use it are the ones who don't know how to use it responsibly.

Moon and Eclipsa were not up to the task, nor were most of the other queens or the MHC. They lived privileged lives, isolated from their subjects, and because of that they didn't see the problems with the kingdom. They could only ever see magic as something to use for themselves.

Star is different, because she was sent to live with ordinary people on earth immediately after she inherited the wand. She doesn't realize it (especially because of her many failings), but she's the only one who can wield magic for good. That's why she's (supposedly) a magical prodigy. She's on the cusp of realizing this, but the responsibility scares her. Destroying magic means she's forever free of the responsibilities placed upon her. But magic is the reason she and Marco are happy, and it can be that for others, too.

e: Moon's actions make more sense when you consider she sees magic this way. Star's messed up and learned her lesson many times, but Moon never learned the consequences of misusing magic/power. She only begins to realize when she befriends some of the common folk and then sees her actions actually affecting people she knows.

e2: Still pretty stupid though, I mean drat. She knows what that magic did to Mina.

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 14, 2019

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BioEnchanted posted:

Especially given on her tapestry, her hand is still glowing yellow, implying that in that future she can still use it.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out if I missed something there. She's very clearly using magic in the tapestry.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
basically, every other magic user has been bourgeoisie but star is sympathetic to the struggle of the proles

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TwoPair posted:

Since magic in the hands of the queens has led to misfortune, I wouldn't be surprised if the finale has Star somehow spreading the magic to everyone in order to make everyone kind of sort of equal.

Regardless, I'm pumped for the ending. I hope it's a happy one, those two crazy kids earned it. Also I'm excited to see Marco get to hold the wand again.

I bet Marco is going to start learning magic in the ending.

Crazier theory: Marco becomes Queen. He already has a princess persona, there's been a male queen in the past, and we know he has the potential to do magic. Star doesn't want to be Queen but Marco is supposedly leader-like according to Tom and also his star sign.

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 15, 2019

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TwoPair posted:

I was kinda thinking that too, but on one hand while it'd be cool to sort of have a changing of the guard by leaving the kingdom in the hands of a third party like Marco who's neither mewman nor monster, but on the other hand it'd be kind of hosed up to take the unusual concept of a matrilineal monarchy and hand it to a dude, even if you call him Queen

Would it be? Monarchy is already an extremely regressive concept, we're just supposed to not think about it.

Oh also: Star's chapter says she only rules for 4 days, and it would sneak trans marco (which is totally canon I mean cmon) under the radar, which is the important part

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Here's my take on the series:

Ultimately, while there were missteps, I think that Star was a somewhat bold and ambitious show and I commend it for that. There were a lot of themes they wanted to touch on: the journey of growing from a selfish teenager into an unselfish adult, the cruelties of attraction and love, the effects of systemic racism, the truth of past crimes affecting present injustices, and a whole host of other issues. They could have easily played it safe and gotten at least three seasons of Star and Marco fighting Ludo every week, but they wanted to have their characters and the world around them grow and evolve, and, to me, that made the show far more interesting and compelling.

The show had great characters, good jokes, good animation, an interesting overarching plot, and one of the very few romantic arcs in a show I could actually stand. I enjoyed it, and I'll miss it.

Spot on.

Star vs. would have been unremarkable at best if it didn't have the story. Who looks at season 1 and thinks "this is the best season"?

The same could be said for Gravity Falls or Steven Universe.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Star def went through a major crew shift over the course of season 1 and between 1 and 2. There's a lot more similarities between Season 4's crew and season 2's than there is between season 2 and season 1

Probably explains the title. Seasons 2-4 had a noticeable lack of fighting the forces of evil.

Now that I've had time to think about it, I really wish we'd gotten more of an epilogue. We got more closure for Talon than Star or Marco or any other major character. I stuck with these characters for this long, I need to know what happens to them, dammit

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skippy McPants posted:

What closure is missing for Star and Macro? Like, the world is a mess but I think we know exactly what happens to them. We know because we've spent four seasons watching what their lives are like when they're together. Probably the only difference now is that they sometimes make out in between going on crazy adventures.

Just because we have a general idea of what will happen doesn't mean there's no value in seeing it.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skippy McPants posted:

Sure, but another story; this one is over, and I don't think it lacked for closure regarding the lead characters. I do get wanting to see more of them, though.

A sequel series seems unlikely, but I could see them doing a comic book or something that gives fans a chance to check-in on where everyone is a little way down the road.

that's basically what I meant, yeah

while I took issue with that, everything else about the finale was a+++. Star and Marco got some excellent moments, as did Eclipsa

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I turned myself into a broom Star. I'm broooooooooom dooooooooooooopdoop!

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Steven Universe isn't over yet

It may as well be, the main story is over and it jumped the shark a while back. I'm going to be shocked if the next season is any good

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Finally, some good loving content

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In retrospect Marco did kind of stop getting stuff in season 4. He got like one episode with Kelly. Maybe that was because S4 dragged out Starco til the end for some awful reason.

I wouldn't say he lost much by leaving Earth. The Jackie thing was over at that point, the karate stuff had nowhere to go, and he still had Star and Tom and Janna.

Tetracube fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 29, 2019

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Yeah, I'd say overall that we got about a season and a half of storylines and endings in the second half of the season. Makes me think they were expecting/hoping for a season 5 until about halfway through plotting out season 4.

I don't know, it doesn't seem like the mistakes they made in season 4 can be attributed to that.

What would be different if they knew they were getting an S5? Would they have dragged out the love triangle even longer?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I dunno man, Brooklyn Nine Nine and Parks and Recreation have given me a taste of what it feels like to let characters get together and stay together and continue to develop as people and it tastes pretty amazing.

It's actually way more fun and interesting.

Yeah.

I feel like one of the strengths of svtfoe is that it let its characters have emotionally complicated problems. Compare to say, SU, where the problem is that a character is thinking the Wrong Thing and the solution is to think the Right Thing. The Starco plot did the show a disservice in that Star and Marco were portrayed as perfect soulmates and all their problems stemmed from not being together.

I guess it still deserves credit for being one of the very rare romantic subplots that wasn't completely awful.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Over the whole run of the show did magic ever actually do anything good except fix problems magic caused?

It stopped Toffee. Maybe monster Meteora too, it wasn't clear if her eye beams were magic or not. It also brought the protagonists together, created all those wacky lovable spells who we had 3 episodes about, merged the dimensions at the end... pretty much the only bad things it did were the spells Solaria made.

Basically the whole run of the show was leading up to the opposite conclusion, but they decided to go with "blow up magic" anyway.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Magic didn't do any of that though. Like I get that's what they were going for, but it was pulled off very poorly. Magic was represented by literal puppies and rainbows.

The show never made a connection between "everyone on Mewni lives in dirt poverty" and "star can conjure a friendly pink cloud with a magic wand"

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A better conclusion would be "the royal family is keeping all the magic to themselves" which is what would have actually made sense given everything in the rest of the show. Star merges the magic dimension with Mewni or whatever and now nobody is starving because everyone knows the spell Conjure Corn

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.tvinsider.com/781574/star-vs-the-forces-of-evil-season-5-starco-marco-adam-mcarthur

If only I had his confidence in online petitions

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://old.reddit.com/r/StarVStheForcesofEvil/comments/chvtan/users_of_rstarvstheforcesofevil_i_am_happy_to/ Daron Nefcy AMA on the 3rd

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And it's over

quote:

Myself, Daron Nefcy, the creator and show runner of Star vs the Forces of Evil will answer your questions! Along with; Adam McArthur- the voice of Marco! u/ShmarcoShmiaz , Dominic Bisignano- writer, director and supervising producer! u/svengali_deck and surprise guest, Aaron Hammersley! Also writer, director and supervising producer! u/ahammersley1
https://www.reddit.com/user/Daron_Nefcy/
https://www.reddit.com/user/ShmarcoShmiaz
https://www.reddit.com/user/svengali_deck
https://www.reddit.com/user/ahammersley1

Notable bits:

Daron: Toffee was a historian and researched the Butterfly family like no one ever had before. He used his powers for evil. He's been leaning about magic for a very long time. The skulls Toffee was wearing was Butterfly family members of the royal court he killed.

Someone: What even is a warnicorn?
Daron: Its a unicorn that needs the blood of its enemies to survive.

Someone: Were all dimensions cleaved, or was just Earth and Mewni cleaved?
Daron: Just Earth and Mewni!

Someone: Is doop doop Alive
Daron: Nope nope
(troubling implications for spider & pals)

Daron: To be honest we tried to write the Monster Arm return episode many times and we could never really get it to work! I believe it's still in Marco still might emerge someday.

Someone: Does marco still have the princess turdina costume?
Adam: Of course he does! It's not a costume. AND it still fits :)
(🤔)

Someone: How come Marco’s cheeks lit up as moons instead of nachos for example? Were they connected to Celena or the original Butterflies in some way?
Adam: I love the idea of Nacho cheek marks! I think they were moons because the same magic that flowed through Celena flowed through Marco.
(not elaborated on at all)

Adam: Dave was just a regular old Mewman who worked as a Barista at the coffee shop Lady Lucitor frequented. She tipped well and he fell in love. The end.

Dominic: Marco isn’t in Star’s tapestry because he was supposed to be back on earth, but those crazy kids altered the universe, changing the future.

Aaron: Angie is a teacher and poet. Rafael is an artist. Here's an easter egg for you: in the season 1 episode "Cheer up Star", I added a painting in the shed which is actually a famous Van Gogh painting that had been stolen and has never been recovered. So, either Rafael is an art thief or he paints replicas of stolen paintings.

Also the whole cast really wants you to harass Disney into letting them make more Star content

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, this does not reflect well on Star's already highly questionable decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CaptainCrunch posted:

Is he saying it was only Earth and Mewni that merged in the finale because they were returning to a state from before magic separated them?

That's Daron and the implication is that star and marco merged earth and mewni with The Power Of Love