Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
At first I thought the cheek shapes on the royal family were just card suites (clubs, diamonds, spades and hearts). The other day I noticed that someone had lighting bolts. Do we know how many of those cheek shapes there are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Are two of them conjoined?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Holy poo poo I can't believe Glossaryck is loving dead :stare:

I thought Glossaryck was dead when Toffee was sucking away the magic from everyone in the magic counsel, so his death (again) didn't affect me too much.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

One thing is a little unclear to me. Was the whole reason why Toffee screwed over everyone and magic itself simply to get his finger back?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Thinking about it, that tapestry of Moon in the Grandma room sure was misleading.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

cant cook creole bream posted:

When does the rest of the season start anyway? I want more.

I heard November.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

How long until we find out that Marco is Star's distant cousin through Meteora and Eclipsa? He had the cheek marks.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I haven't read that guide so I didn't know that detail. And yeah, that sequence was pretty good.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

At this point, the sense I get from Eclipsa is that she's almost a reflection of Star and Moon's worst tendencies. Like Star, she's impulsive and has moments of immaturity and childishness, and like Moon she's manipulative and controlling. Now at this point that doesn't mean she's a bad person, but she's certainly a self-centered one-and if anything, serves as an example of what Star may have grown up to be had she not been forced to improve as a person through her encounters with Toffee, her contentious relationship with Moon, and her friendship with Marco. Not being able to cast wandless magic could be seen as an extension of that, as it's reminiscent of Star's older tendencies to cut corners, procrastinate, and rely on her raw magical talent, as opposed to actually digging in and doing the work.

But what about Eclipsa's chapter in Glossaryck's book?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Philonius posted:

I still don't trust Eclipsa. She may not be a cackling villain, but she's up to something.

She casually strolls into Mewni castle, smelling roses and eating snickers. When attacked by the entire high commission, she doesn't defend herself, doesn't freak out, she's just calmly smiling. That's shady as gently caress.

She knows the Magic High Commission is not going to kill her, they're just going to freeze her in crystal again. She's trying to enjoy herself while she can.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Hiya GeorgieMoon! Want a balloon?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

nerdman42 posted:

I'm curious how much Eclipsa knew, or at least suspected Star wasn't related to her. She had to at least know "well these guys don't have monster features so some poo poo has deffo gone down" but she could also have assumed that her ex just got a new wife, making the Butterfly still royals.

An extended family member of Eclipsa's would have had a stronger claim to the throne than anyone else since royalty travels down the female line. It could be that Eclipsa's ex-husband wanted to remain king, so he hatched this scheme to remain in power. I wonder if the "random peasant girl" was the show's way to avoid suggesting that the king was cheating on Eclipsa and the girl was his daughter.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

At one point I thought Star would remember who she is after look at the photo booth picture of her and Marco.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Does anyone know where that image of Eclipsa putting Meteora to sleep is?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

My only question after all this is what was the deal with Mina's bird? It felt like the show was leading to something with it, but didn't do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Here's my take on the series:

Ultimately, while there were missteps, I think that Star was a somewhat bold and ambitious show and I commend it for that. There were a lot of themes they wanted to touch on: the journey of growing from a selfish teenager into an unselfish adult, the cruelties of attraction and love, the effects of systemic racism, the truth of past crimes affecting present injustices, and a whole host of other issues. They could have easily played it safe and gotten at least three seasons of Star and Marco fighting Ludo every week, but they wanted to have their characters and the world around them grow and evolve, and, to me, that made the show far more interesting and compelling.

The show had great characters, good jokes, good animation, an interesting overarching plot, and one of the very few romantic arcs in a show I could actually stand. I enjoyed it, and I'll miss it.

Magic was the root of the conflict in that it was magic that allowed the Mewmans to enjoy their unjust power structure over the monsters. Star tried to work within that system to reform it, but ultimately found that the only way to get rid of the injustices of the system was to destroy it entirely.

I agree with this. I think that overall it was a good series.