Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
missed a promo

https://twitter.com/zach2themax/status/834584861524385792

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Fun fact, those characters only existed because Disney basically mandated that Marco had to have some male friends, and disappeared after the first season because the writers had no idea what to do with them.

It has been confirmed that we'll be seeing more of Jackie in Season 3, so I doubt the writers completely forgot about her.

It's also been confirmed that there will be more of Alfonzo and Ferguson in season 3 because the writers finally figured out what to do with them

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

One thing Interesting to note on season 1 (honestly I wouldn't have made this post if it weren't for Bobbin's) is that it appears a vast majority of the episodes (the exceptions appear to be Star Comes to Earth, Party with a Pony, The Other Exchange Student, and Quest Buy) were reworked in some way or another. For most of them it would be that scenes in the episodes were changed by the directors (Mike Mullen, Aaron Hammersley, and Piero Piluso) and storyboard supervisors (Lane Lueras, Dominic Bisignano, and Christofer Graham) to the extent that they would also get "written and storyboarded by" credit: Some of these change ups can be seen in these storyboards for Pixtopia (there was also an animatic from Freeze Day that featured a completely different characterization for Father Time, but it seems to have been taken down). The most extreme example would appear to be St. Olgas (where none of Carlos Ramos's boards survived the final version and director and sole credited boarder Piero Piluso also got "story by" credit)

There's also the episodes written/boarded by Hammersley and Bisignano (Mewberty, Blood Moon Ball, Mewnipendence Day, and Storm the Castle) where the plots and premises were completely reworked between the outline and the storyboards (Mewberty was called "Running with Scissors", wasn't even about mewman puberty, and doesn't even credit whoever wrote the original outline under "story by"). They would be promoted to Supervising Producer and Creative Director respectively on season 2.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

eventually settling on Toon Boom, who worked on Gravity Falls and a whole bunch of other shows. Allegedly they also contracted Boulder Media, an Irish animation company, to work on a handful of episodes, but I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere (Though I'm willing to believe it, since the episodes they supposedly worked on, Lobster Claws, Fortune Cookies, and Royal Pain are all terribly animated have a much different feel from the rest of the season).

Actually it's Toon City, and Toon City had nothing to do with Gravity Falls (they were infamous for some more off-model looking Kim Possible episodes, and also worked on Phineas and Ferb; Gravity Falls was done at Rough Draft Korea, Digital eMation, and Yearmin). Also I never heard of Boulder Media having anything to do with star (plus I feel they did a good job with season 2 of Wander Over Yonder; hard to tell that Mercury had nothing to do with season 2 of WoY), as they're not credited (and Rough Draft Korea was credited when it was involved in a few of Blood Moon Ball's scenes)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

more promo posters

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Nefcy did mention that they finally figured out what to do with them in season 3

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I rescind my rescindtion

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 28, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

School spirit is a fun ep and matchmaker explains why the teacher's a troll

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

To be fair I don't think they both got names until Season 2.

River's was first stated in the season 1 finale, but yeah that's pretty close to season 2

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I honestly wouldn't be at all shocked if CN is actively trying to kill SU without openly saying as much. I can think of several ways in which the show is probably a PR nightmare for them.

Eh CN's given worse treatment to shows that are nowhere near a "PR nightmare"

apparently part the problem is that you can't easily rerun random episodes without confusing new viewers (because continuity), which is why when the show does get rerun it's usually in themed blocks

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TwoPair posted:

This is a trap I hope Star doesn't fall into after the very story heavy season opener/last season's closer. Serialization is nice but it leads to poo poo like... what we're seeing now!

Well star's gonna return with a two week bomb in november so I'd say it's already too late (though Disney does a lot better with their rerun schedule from what I've heard)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think this is the guy who did the :airquote:hilarious:airquote: 'welcome to tumblr' video.

welcome to deviantart, welcome to facebook, welcome to youtube, welcome to tumblr, welcome to fanfiction.net, welcome to steam, and welcome to kickstarter

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Look, the Network executives wanted more eyeballs on Ducktales at that time.

RIP Billy Dilley

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

'nother promo image (from boarder Charlotte Jackson)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I think word of god might've mentioned demons are considered separate from monsters

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

I highly doubt that was the ep's intent

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

All Seeing Eye's supposed to be that weird guy who's honesty is a bit too blunt

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

You know one thing I love about this show are the strange, out there moments that make you remember "oh yeah, one of the guys central to the show's change in direction between seasons 1 and 2 who's among one of the head people on seasons 2+ was also the same former Secret Mountain Fort Awesome/Uncle Grandpa guy who blessed us with this on his first Star episode"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnTsABXWdrc

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Gibbering posted:

"Jushtin the Boy Queen"?

Jushtin Lee is one of the storyboard artists on the show

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Motherfucker posted:

Star vs the forces of evil? More like a show this bad is unbelievable.

no no no if you wanted to do it like the cool kids on /co/ you should've also posted an image of Mung Daal from Chowder

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Bobbin Threadbear's effortposts inspired me to do my own, analyzing aspects of the show's production

I already made a post detailing info on season 1 here:
but there's a few other things worth adding:

On season 1, the top people on the show other than Nefcy were supervising director Dave Wasson (creator of Time Squad, producer/director on the Buzz on Maggie and Making Fiends; currently a director on the Mickey Mouse shorts) and story editor was Jordana Arkin, who has had a ton of writing credits on various sitcoms and cartoons (notably being executive story editor on Saved by the Bell: The New Class, serving as a producer on shows like The Goode Family, Melissa & Joey, and Fuller House, and creating Project Mc˛). Both also served as co-executive producers on season 1 and are credited with developing the show. Apparently the both had left after the season was fully outlined but before it was completely boarded.

A lot of my explanation about the eps being heavily reboarded can be seen in my earlier post, but it's worth noting what the directors previously worked on. Mike Mullen mainly worked (usually as a director) on various Klasky Csupo shows (as well as serving as director on Kung Fu Panda Legends of Awesomness). Piero Piluso was a boarder on Camp Lazlo, Phineas and Freb, and Flapjack. Aaron Hammersley was a storyboard artist on Danny Phantom, FOP, and Tuff Puppy, later a director on KFP: LoA like a lot of the other crew. and Dominic Bisignano was a storyboard revisionist on Secret Mountain Fort Awesome and boarder on Uncle Grandpa (as well as being co-creator of Back to Backspace). Both Aaron and Dominic ended up becoming post-production directors on the season, likely tied to their promotion in season 2.

Nefcy herself had cited that Aaron and Dominic's reworking of Mewberty (which was done with her input) was what helped inspire the show to change its direction.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Andrew_1985 posted:

So, I've not had a chance to watch the last two weeks of Star, but I'm having no luck finding it. Nothing on :filez: and it seems you can't watch on Disney XD's website. Any ideas, goons?

the usual :filez: sites have the eps

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

fair

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Whiz Palace posted:

Ludo & Pony Head seem like they belong to an older, lamer version of the show.

Pony Head's been great in almost every episode this season that doesn't focus on her, and while Bam Ui Pati was a bit of a wet fart, Ponymonium was a lot better than it could've been

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

In contrast with both seasons 1 and 3, season 2 of Star doesn't have that many episodes that were heavily retouched by the directors (with the two that were the most overhauled being Star vs Echo Creek, which apparently didn't even have the dragon in the original version, and Nayasaya)

The story crew for season 2 is Nefcy, Aaron Hammersley and Dominic Bisignano (who after their great performance on season 1 were promoted to Supervising Producer and Creative Director respectively) , story editor John Infantino (former storyboard artist on Camp Lazlo and early Flapjack, director on later Flapjack and Regular Show), and staff writer Amy Higgins (who along with Ducktales head writer Fancisco Angones formed the Frank & Amy duo that on Wander over Yonder wrote some late season 1 epsiodes and served as story editors on season 2). Many episodes this season also involve freelance story writers.

Aaron & Dominic also directly served as directors on My New Wand!, Evon/Aleth's eps, Jushtin Lee's episodes, Mark/Riccardo's episodes, Starstruck, Gift of the Card, The Hard Way, and Starcrushed. Returning from season 1 is director Piero Piluso, who directs most of John Mathot's episodes and Brett/Zach episodes; as well as joint directing Camping Trip with Infantino. Late in the season he's succeed by Brett Varon (himself a former storyboard artist on shows like Billy & Mandy, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Flapjack, Chowder, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, Clarence, and Uncle Grandpa), with them both credited as directors on the Bounce Lounge and Brett directing Heinous and Just Friends. Lastly we have new director Giancarlo Volpe (assistant director and character layout/storyboard artist on King of the Hill, director on Avatar: The Last Airbender and the CGI Clone Wars series, and showrunner on Green Lantern), who directs most of Le Tang's episodes and Sabrina/Amelia eps.

An interesting thing to note is that the half hour specials weren't merely "one team does the first half, the other does the 2nd half". Bon Bon had Amelia board the first third, Sabrina do the middle, and Le do the final third. Face the Music had Amelia (first half)/Cassie (2nd half) handle the Star/Ruberiot planning subplot and Cassie on the ending, while Sarah did Moon's subplot and Sabrina did the song sequence. Finally, Starcrushed had Gina/John focus on Star's plot, Tyler do the scene where Marco talks with his dad, and Evon/Le do Moon's subplot.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

sadly that's just an edit

https://twitter.com/Hug_bees/status/964296913704042496

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Just caught up and man I'm glad that Kenny Pittenger is now a regular writer/boarder this season and thus we can get more moments like this

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

apparently prolonged exposure to the wand over the course of generations is responsible for the two bloodlines' enhanced magical abilities

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Tetracube posted:

there's "average fandom" bad which describes all those shows

and then there's "I've seen the word 'loli' more times than I'm comfortable with" bad

see also: the loud house fandom

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Where are you looking for fan stuff because yikes :stare: (please don't tell me)

I remember I used to go to the /co/ threads before the place went from a level 4 toxic waste dump to a level 10 toxic waste dump and lemme tell you things got weird, but like in a bad way rather than a fun way

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: Gravity Falls is like the only exception I can think of and I think that's primarily because GF's fandom skews more towards hipsters than basement dwellers, and secondarily because its art style really does not invite sexualization

sounds like someone (luckily) wasn't in the /co/ /gfg/ threads back in the day

though thinking back, I think a lot of the creepiness in those threads were from what people were saying, not the images they were posting

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 22, 2019

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Star def went through a major crew shift over the course of season 1 and between 1 and 2. There's a lot more similarities between Season 4's crew and season 2's than there is between season 2 and season 1

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

No body is asking the important questions.

What happened to Doopdoop?

wubba lubba doop doop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

Aside from Ducktales, I can't really justify keeping my SlingTV sub now that Star and Steven Universe are done. Maybe I should venture out and check out Loud House or something. But man, it's over. :sadwave:

Steven Universe isn't over yet