Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

No problem! It doesn't quite fill the hole Gravity Falls left in my heart, but it certainly comes close.

Also, the reveal of where Marco keeps getting $650 is probably one of my favorite gags in the series.

I kept thinking "now where does a teenager get that kind of money" and then the reveal was just the most hilarious things I'd ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The "I'm gonna make this weird" group hug was great

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Is Rhina the Riddled a reference to Infinity Train?

Also worth noting: the gargoyles (?) from the St. Olga mural are spewing from the mouth of Eclipsa's monster husband.

Here is the image, to save the time of anyone else looking it up

While I was browsing, I noticed the book Miss Heinous looks through in S01E10 while trying to find out the dimension to which Star and Turdina fled, Black Metallurgy and Ores of the Multiverse, was the same book Dennis used to try to find Ludo.

Ludo's wand had Toffee's severed forelimb in it from the beginning

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 8, 2018

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Andrew_1985 posted:

So, I've not had a chance to watch the last two weeks of Star, but I'm having no luck finding it. Nothing on :filez: and it seems you can't watch on Disney XD's website. Any ideas, goons?

The stickied comment on each /r/StarVStheForcesofEvil/ episode discussion is usually very helpful

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The scenes in the Magic Dimension really harken back to the parts of Season 1 and 2 that were about learning to stay on-task and be more focused, and together with the "I have a responsibility to stay scene" it really emphasized how far Star has come along. The series is really good at character development.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Edit: wrong thread

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Well, the people hoping for more Mewman stories should be pretty happy with this week's batch.

:stoked:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Maybe it's the magic-equivalent of a nuclear weapon

The last episode is called "Tavern at the End of the Multiverse" and I'm going to guess that's a reference to the Douglas Adams book "Restaurant at the End of the Universe", featuring a restaurant in space just before the end of the universe to which customers time-travel to watch it as mealtime entertainment

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 16, 2019

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

TwoPair posted:

That was all great dramatic plot and all but man aside from the last one this batch of episodes was the funniest in a long while. I missed Marco's dad, he's always hilarious. And Mama Star was hilarious from beginning to end, except for Marco losing it and ranting about wanting to be in Star's pocket, which was adorable :kimchi: loving Tom spinning his head around trying to turn off the fire had me in stitches.

Anyway, disappointed in the MHC. Well okay, really just Hekapoo. She's usually cool when she pops up and I don't like that she's still a racist species-ist. I wonder what's polluting the magic world (aside from the literal pollution the gang threw in at the start of Mama Star). Like, it can't be Mina, right? That just doesn't make sense. The unicorn said they were "souring" magic by going there, but like, Star and Moon have gone there before, apparently numerous humans have been there, it can't just be Star's repeat visits, can it? The last time magic went all purple it was because of Toffee but he hasn't been around. It seems like this is all leading to Glossaryck doing a heel turn but I just don't get his endgame.

I agree that these have been the best episodes of the series in a while. I liked the subversion of the "oh, Janna just randomly got there because it was a Janna joke and they're not going to explain it" expectation and how all the references to the previous episodes fit together so neatly. The one plot thread yet to be unraveled is when the MHC brought up dark, forbidden spell use from within Eclipsa's Monster Temple and she said she didn't know anything about it. She got the spell book, but it wasn't explicitly clear that was yet to be related. Maybe for self-defense, Eclipsa's been powering her spells in a way which increasingly corrupts the source of magic the more it is used. Maybe I'm misremembering and it was Butterfly Castle, in which case it was Mina

Edit: Yeah, it was actually about magic not used for centuries being used, before they cut back to Mina assembling the armor. I think it could go either way with it being Eclipsa or Mina but they're both the most likely if the corruption is caused by a person instead of being an accident caused by Moon's trip

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 6, 2019

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I recently read "charade" in some political Tweet the way Ludo kept pronouncing it

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Skippy McPants posted:

Moon's heel turn felt really lazy and contrived, other than that I like the conflict they're setting up.

That said, I expect some kind of subversion from what the tapestry shows because Star's, like, entire deal is screwing with the established rules. Also, while cutting Macro and Star off in different worlds would be ballsy, murdering countless sapient beings would be kinda... not chill. Sure, the High Commission are jerks but Glossaryck is harmless and just kind weird. There's also all the spells we've seen which have discrete lives themselves.

You know, like Richard and [intermission to check the wiki again] Billy. Killing them all would be pretty loving dark for this show.

It did seem kind of arbitrary that she made the mistake of letting them swear an oath to Solaria instead of her, and she didn't know that wouldn't make the rescinding spell fail to work, but other than that it was incredible and I thought Moon's heel turn, hinging on the plan of taking away their powers, was plausible for her character. I thought that the first episode of the newest four did a good job making me sure that the knight had to be Mina. When Eclipsa used the spell with no name, I was sure that the climax of Season 4 was over and the rest was going to be the aftermath of its consequences and wrapping things up, but nope, it was the first in a FULL ARMY led by Mina.

I've been assuming that killing the magic will just take away people's magic powers instead of killing them, but now that you point it out, I'm interested to see how that would mesh with the idea of the spells also being sentient. During Glossarick's future vision, initially I thought that the people in it were zombies like the dark unicorns in the Magic Dimension.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 13, 2019

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Skippy McPants posted:

Huh, so they went with the genocide ending after all. That kinda sucks!

I don't hate it I guess, but I'm super lukewarm. Mina even says flat out that ideas were the problem, not magic, and she's right. The show also totally cheats by never forcing Star to confront a magical creature who wants to live. We only get input from Glossaryck and Hekapoo and they both seem totally chill with popping into non-existence? Okay...

Oh and Moon also gets off super light for basically loving everything up but I guess they only had 23 minutes to tie things off so whatevs. I'm gonna stop thinking about it now because the more I dwell on it the less pleased I'm gonna be with the ending to this kids cartoon and I don't wanna get weird about it.

I can see it both ways, if magic is like if anybody on Earth could gain the power to use a nuclear weapon if they studied long enough within a lifetime, with spells as powerful as Solaria's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

would've been better as a 4-parter, which would've also worked as a 5th season opener

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 19, 2019