Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Herc u lees herc u lees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

definitely wouldn't forget my starter (carmilla) but doing acquisition sort revealed something interesting: my first angra was really really early

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

My starter was Emiya. And while he's alright, I probably would have rerolled for Carmilla or Herc if not for the fact I also rolled Jeanne at the same time and didn't think a new starter was worth throwing out a 5* to get.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Emiya was my starter as well. I had been trying to reroll for Herc, I believe, but after the first dozen or so times I just said fuckit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrq9VqpaFpU

I prefer Emiya as starter because I love his theme song.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I played around US launch back in July 2017. Kept re-rolling until I got my boy Emiya plus got Carmilla as a bonus. Then used my free 4* voucher they gave out that first month for Herc.

During launch, you also got free 30 sq for starting out so all the hardcore players were mad re-rolling for Waver and Gil. I wasn't one of them, just wanted to play my mobile Type-Moon game. Didn't think I'd get this deep over 2 years later. :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

halokiller posted:

I played around US launch back in July 2017. Kept re-rolling until I got my boy Emiya plus got Carmilla as a bonus. Then used my free 4* voucher they gave out that first month for Herc.

During launch, you also got free 30 sq for starting out so all the hardcore players were mad re-rolling for Waver and Gil. I wasn't one of them, just wanted to play my mobile Type-Moon game. Didn't think I'd get this deep over 2 years later. :v:

I remember, I got my account from someone who rolled Waver.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

First account I rolled I got Martha as my starter. Then partway through Orleans I decided to reroll for a 5* while I could and in about half a dozen tries I had a Jeanne account with Emiya as the starter. Picked Martha back up with the ticket though, because sure Herc's incredibly useful, but can he drop the Tarasque on people? No.

Both of them were decent enough, but it was Jeanne and the NP2 Salter I lucked on early story gacha rolls that did most of the heavy lifting for me up through London.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I watched Moonlight Lostroom the other day and uh... was it meant to indicate that Olga Marie really is in some sort of quantum state of nondeath? The events depicted have a heavy sheen of "IS IT REAL? IS IT AN IMAGINARY STORY?" so I wasn't quite clear on how to interpret it. Also, are we going to get more specifics about Galahad and his mopey milksop punk rear end lack of cooperation?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When JP first came out I actually went through the trouble of rerolling until I got Jeanne, who seemed like the strongest thing ever in the early game when you couldn't even rely on super powerful level 90 support servants. I remember back then stat leveling curves were actually relevant (since it wasn't remotely easy to fully ascend people) and I think poster Kyte made posts explaining them to people. I also got Vlad at some point really early and remember him and Jeanne being my two SSRs for a while.

In NA I started playing during 2019 New Years so I began with the New Years GSSR (Tamamo).

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

OnimaruXLR posted:

I watched Moonlight Lostroom the other day and uh... was it meant to indicate that Olga Marie really is in some sort of quantum state of nondeath? The events depicted have a heavy sheen of "IS IT REAL? IS IT AN IMAGINARY STORY?" so I wasn't quite clear on how to interpret it. Also, are we going to get more specifics about Galahad and his mopey milksop punk rear end lack of cooperation?

We still don't know.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
free olga marie you cowards

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 2, 2020

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Clawtopsy posted:

free olga marie you cowards

Pssh, yeah right.

We all know we aren't getting Olgamarie for free.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Vengarr posted:

Pssh, yeah right.

We all know we aren't getting Olgamarie for free.

let me whale for olga marie you cowards

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

My starters were Stheno and Siegfried.

Same

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Another fellow Tamacat starter here. Having a Berserker was really useful early on, with not having to worry about being at a class advantage or disadvantage. Just smash everybody (and get smashed back, but it was still worth it).

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Hypothesis: how likely you are to level Mash up is directly correlated to how heavily Berserker-centric your early lineups are

(I started with Herc and summoned Kiritsugu off of the Zero event early on)

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Liz was my starter, because that was the reroll account that gave me my first 5 star.

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.
I had D'Eon and Lalter as my starters, and got a lot of use out of D'Eon as taunter, while Lalter very quickly became an absolute monster truck that smashed everything in her path. One of these days I'll get the embers to finish leveling her to 90, I swear. :(

I'm holding off on the GSSR because I forgot that my car registration was due soon and had to pay that instead, but chasing Hokusai has so far left me with 0 quartz and netted me all of the NY CEs, a bunch more gold CEs, none of which are that good, NP6 (and my first rare prism) Beowulf, NP3 Saberlot and NP2 Okkihime. Oh well, I still have three Remnants to finish and a log-in bonus coming soon.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I rerolled for a 5* and got Vlad. The tutorial roll got me Siegfried and I've never used him since I got Artoria a week later.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Alright, I just played through the Hokusai trial quests, and I'm ready to do some speculating. I won't spoiler any of this, because this is all based on stuff already released in NA and also because all of this may turn out to be completely wrong. So the entire past year with the Epic of Remnants have been prepping us for the Lostbelts with foreshadowing, Shimousa and Salem especially. And this has been noted plenty of times before, but the one thing they all have in common (except maybe Shimousa and CCC, but even Shimousa technically takes place in a dream, it's just that it's also a Lostbelt too) is the theme of fantasy/fiction.

Shinjuku has the phantom spirits who weren't quite good enough to become HS who came from fictional works/folklore like Yan Qing, Headless Horseman, the detectives, etc. Agartha is literally Shez's NP manipulating events into a story, and Salem has its whole thing about calling out to something that may or may not be real in order to make it exist in this reality, which is something which comes up again in Hokusai's quest. The recurring theme of fiction, hammered into our heads over the past year. The Lostbelt Trees are literally described as the roots of fantasy reaching down toward the world. So what's the deal?

The Alien God attacking the world isn't real. It's a phony, a fiction, make-believe, fantasy. Or, if it is real, it's something fictional that was made real by the true mastermind. And who's the true mastermind, or who is the Alien God? ...Marisbury. My justification for this conclusion is a little meta, because there's nothing in the actual game that supports this. Marisbury is actually a major character, because Chaldea literally exists because of him, as its founder, and his presence can be felt by the sheer fact that Chaldea exists. The Summoning System, Chaldeas, SHEBA, it's all his design. But in the game we never get a look at him. Even the flashback in Solomon we don't see Marisbury, we just see a silhouetted outline. It took adaptations and extra materials for us to know what he even looked like. That's kind of weird that such a founding character, without which the events of the story wouldn't have even happened the way they did, wouldn't have a character sprite? Such an important character just...dies, off screen, and it's barely mentioned or any attention called to, despite it being speculated that it may have actually been an assassination, but nobody has cared to try to follow that thread.

Remember the theme of fiction. Marisbury faked his death, maybe with help from Kirsch or Daybit, the two geniuses of Team A and plus Kirsch was his star pupil. But why fake his death, and why make a system devoted to preserving humanity just to wipe it all away with the Lostbelts? To reach the Root, stated to be every mage's ultimate desire. But why didn't he just use the Grail in Fuyuki in 2004 to reach the Grail? Because Type-Moon wanted a mobile game. To be honest, I don't know, and I expect this to either be explained or literally not brought up at all because shut up.

Somehow, under this speculation, Marisbury knew about Goetia's plans behind the scenes, and so made the Summoning System and SHEBA to fight against them, because if Goetia's plan succeeded then Marisbury's wouldn't. How did he know? Well, he did summon Solomon with the 10th ring, maybe it had magic clairvoyant powers, I don't know. And how did he get the power to do all this if the Fuyuki Grail's wish was used to create Chaldea? I think that's part of faking his death, so he could go behind the scenes while Part 1 is happening and siphon energy from the Singularities to make the Trees and recruit Team A to his cause posing as an Alien God. Maybe he incorporated Goetia's designs into his own and saw an opportunity there. He created the Trees to anchor timelines to this one, and is using the energy generated from them collapsing when we destroy them, much like Goetia's bands of light, to reach the Root.

And of course, probably the only actual tangible piece of evidence to support this crackpot idea of mine, is the Alien Priestess. Dudes, let's not kid ourselves, it's Olga. Why else would she be the focal character of the Lostroom OVA? And the alien girl is literally in the background of the scene where Mash and Gudako flashback to Olga crying that nobody loved her. Who is the only character we know of besides Lev, Romani, I guess Mash, and maaaaybe Da Vinci to have ties to Olga? Her father, Marisbury, a distant father, but still father. The Alien God/Marisbury rescued her from burning forever in Chaldeas, wiped her mind, and gave her power to act as his instrument, because it's been established by the El-Melloi Case Files and the game itself that Marisbury didn't really give a poo poo about his daughter.

But how does Galahad being a bitch tie into all this? ...maybe it doesn't? Maybe that's just another separate plot point unrelated to the above to further Mash's character development, I don't know. But even if it does turn out that it's not Marisbury, I am convinced the Alien God isn't actually real. Which is honestly kind of weird, because we know from Notes, Fate/Extra, and F/GO itself that aliens literally do exist in the Nasuverse.

Oh and Holmes is either an agent or manifestation of Marisbury, unwitting or no, as a vehicle to drive Chaldea into conflict with the Crypters and keep both sides from realizing the truth. That's why he knows so much. Yes, this part of the speculation is mostly because of the whole stupid "Holmes is secretly a foreigner because of the card art" thing, and yes, I'm mostly not serious about this part, because I think it's really dumb.

Man, I haven't cared this much about a video game in a long time. Feels nice honestly.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I rolled QSH in today's JP banner I think I've become what I hate a luck siphoner

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
There are two more pieces of evidence to support my idea in JP currently revealed in LB2 and 5 that I won't touch on even in spoilers, but it further concerns Kirsch and the Animusphere's magecraft strength. I wanted to make that post just based on knowledge an NA only player would get from the story, the trailers, and the OVAs.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Are we seriously going to wait 4 months for LB1? That seems long.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the real kicker is having to wait 5 months for sieg

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Welcome to Part 2 of Fate/Grand Order, hope you guys enjoy next year when LB4 takes 7 months to come out

bpACH
Apr 5, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hypothesis: how likely you are to level Mash up is directly correlated to how heavily Berserker-centric your early lineups are

(I started with Herc and summoned Kiritsugu off of the Zero event early on)

Probably. I only really started using her when Camelot hit and Tamomo stopped being able to cover for the deficiencies in my lineup.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My first character, the starter 4-star I got was Hercules, which worked great, and when I came back later and rerolled I got Emiya, who ended up sitting in the second archive for a while because Jalter was on rate-up and I got her in a single ten, so.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~

dogsicle posted:

the real kicker is having to wait 5 months for sieg

Top Tip: Astute players will notice that you can choose not to deploy a servant and leave a slot in your party blank, allowing you to get a sneak preview of siegs character as early as launch!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Gologle posted:

But why didn't he just use the Grail in Fuyuki in 2004 to reach the Grail? Because Type-Moon wanted a mobile game. To be honest, I don't know, and I expect this to either be explained or literally not brought up at all because shut up.

Because that Grail has Angra Manyu (spelling?) in full 7 billion curses* mode squatting inside. That poo poo isn't healthy.

*or how much world population we had in 2004

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Did I really type Grail twice? I meant to put Root. I guess even after spell checking yourself you'll still have errors.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Omobono posted:

Because that Grail has Angra Manyu (spelling?) in full 7 billion curses* mode squatting inside. That poo poo isn't healthy.

*or how much world population we had in 2004

FGO timeline grail is normal and uncorrupted* since only 1 Grail War was held.

*aside from being used to get loadsa money which, as we all know, is the true evil.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

holy poo poo

got a 7 day login ticket and the login ticket, threw them both at the banner and got gil

this is 3 5 stars in 3 days with the GSSR, I'm happy as gently caress and terrified that I've used all my luck for 2020 and have ruined any chances of getting skadi

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Gologle posted:

Somehow, under this speculation, Marisbury knew about Goetia's plans behind the scenes, and so made the Summoning System and SHEBA to fight against them, because if Goetia's plan succeeded then Marisbury's wouldn't. How did he know? Well, he did summon Solomon with the 10th ring, maybe it had magic clairvoyant powers, I don't know. And how did he get the power to do all this if the Fuyuki Grail's wish was used to create Chaldea? I think that's part of faking his death, so he could go behind the scenes while Part 1 is happening and siphon energy from the Singularities to make the Trees and recruit Team A to his cause posing as an Alien God. Maybe he incorporated Goetia's designs into his own and saw an opportunity there. He created the Trees to anchor timelines to this one, and is using the energy generated from them collapsing when we destroy them, much like Goetia's bands of light, to reach the Root.

I really really don't think that Marisbury got ultimate clairvoyance just by summoning Solomon, nor do I think that Solomon just decided to drop infinite deets about his own alter ego's plan on Marisbury and then completely ignore those deets himself until he suddenly remembered them as Roman and then devoted his existence to stopping it. Even if your theory is right in the broad strokes of Marisbury's plotting, I think Chaldea was created for exactly the reason Marisbury said it was: if anything happens that fucks up humanity, it would be good to know about 100 years in advance so we can stop it. Even if that was just so nothing ended the world before his plan went off. If he specifically predicted Goetia I'm not sure what the point of having a time based counter-measure was when Goetia's plot ignores linear time. Why go to the effort of having Chaldeas 100 years in the future if the incineration would happen instantaneously without warning anyway?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The new thread is up

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908966&pagenumber=1#lastpost

I'll close this one after an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I lied, goodbye thread