Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Hunt11 posted:

I have a question about the Quetzalcoatl review. You said she was story locked but despite having only reached Camelot I was able to get her with one of the 5 star banners. Do the ensured 5* banners work differently or is there something else I am missing?

Story only matters for spooking purposes.
Most banners have rate-up servants. You roll on that banner, you might get the rate-up no matter where you are in the story. In a GSSR, there's a list of available Servants.

Apart from that:
General pool: any banner can give you the servants that are in the general pool.
Story locked: after you do the part of the story where they appear, the story banner (always available) can cough them up. They can't appear from other banners unless they're on rate-up.
Limited: limited servants can only be acquired in banners where they are on rate-up, and they'll never appear otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

So we've got another lotto style event coming up... like next week, right? The last one was pretty annoying to farm so I didn't get more than 20 boxes, but that means I'm already in desperate need of QP for.. well, a lot of servants, including the two newbies Mysterious Heroine X and Hokusai. I know it's a rerun, do we get infinite boxes on it?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The best long-term servant to reroll for is always going to be Waver, if you don't care enough to do that then it doesn't really matter what you decide to stay with. Herc is fine but also a newbie trap since he's not really good until you have his Bond CE which isn't going to be for a long time, and you can always just borrow a support.

e:

Jack Van Burace posted:

So we've got another lotto style event coming up... like next week, right? The last one was pretty annoying to farm so I didn't get more than 20 boxes, but that means I'm already in desperate need of QP for.. well, a lot of servants, including the two newbies Mysterious Heroine X and Hokusai. I know it's a rerun, do we get infinite boxes on it?

As a general rule lotto reruns are limited to ten boxes, but this one is an exception and you can get unlimited boxes from it, and it's an extremely high value one.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
if i wanted to complete a perfect limited SSR i would simply choose to roll them all in under 300SQ.

But for real my heart is pounding and I'm pretty sure not only my FGO luck but my IRL luck for 2020 is entirely gone on day loving one of the year.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

taser rates posted:

The best long-term servant to reroll for is always going to be Waver, if you don't care enough to do that then it doesn't really matter what you decide to stay with. Herc is fine but also a newbie trap since he's not really good until you have his Bond CE which isn't going to be for a long time, and you can always just borrow a support.

Note: There isn't actually a good way to reroll for Waver if the game isn't dumping a bunch of quartz on new accounts, since there's only a specific subset of 4*s on the first roll everyone gets.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you'd have to be starting fresh in like April during his Jttw rateups to realistically reroll Waver on your own, though i would assume you can buy a starter account with him for around the same amount if not less than a GSSR roll.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I got NP2 Ozy from the GSSR (that's fine, tho I was hoping for an ST Assassin like Jack for instance), but then I blew all the currently available tix on the Hokusai banner and got her at the very end. Decent beginning, all told.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Well, I had enough blue Caster gem to get Waver to 1/10/10...somebody please tell me the next event has skill gems?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

Well, I had enough blue Caster gem to get Waver to 1/10/10...somebody please tell me the next event has skill gems?

The shop has them, but not the lotto boxes.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Hercules is the best possible roll for new players even when you don't have his bond CE and not at all a trap.
Source: Me, who got Herc as my starter and then had him in the back save me from some story fights with his evasion + guts still giving him at least 3 turns of BBBuster chains after my frontline with friend support died.

e: Like, there's arguments to be made for several of the 4* starters, but once you include Your Friends Servant being on your teams they're all overshadowed. Carmilla is not Jack, Emiya is not Ishtar, etc etc. Starter Hercules is not your friends max leveled Cu Alter/bonded Herc, but he still remains useful in the backline and is far better than any other starter.

Darox fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 2, 2020

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

When I started I got Marie Antoinette

how much did I miss out

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Would really appreciate if the game would stop sending me Servants of a type I need, that also require trillions of bronze mats that aren't Eternal Gears :mad:

Majinfefnir13
Oct 11, 2009

Well the GSSR gave me Moriarty which is not bad I guess, it’s new at least.

As for Hokusai’s banner I managed to get NP2 Hokusai but I definitely blew my budget for a while. She costed me about 1100 sq and 19 tickets which is not bad compared to my failed attempt at getting Jalter.

Also other highlights from my many rolls for Hokusai:
NP2 Drake
NP2 Emiya Assassin
NP7 Emiya
Circe
Nehza

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Squiddycat posted:

how much did I miss out

Depends on who you ask. Expecting Clawtopsy in 3...2...1...

viva la france

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
All I got out of the Hokusai banner was that rear end in a top hat from Water Margin.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

idk if herc is a trap but he absolutely falls off harder than most servants, is not doing much of anything for farming efficiency, and if you need a carry you'll definitely find a better one from a friend than your own half-raised herc minus bond CE (or anti-Gawain command codes). NA tutorial pool is a very demoralizing place though, the better picks like siegfried/carmilla are going up against welfares this year (saber lily/shiki, the carry clause also applies to carmilla tbf) so it's not really their time. i do not like emiya as a starter pick at all because he's weird and high-investment, and everyone else is a good ways below these options for being niche or weak or weirdly compromised like tamacat.

ultimately it doesn't matter that much but i will always lend aid to the good fight against herc supremacy as someone who was misled about his exact level of usefulness. only 18 months until NA finally has good options like helena and parvati

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
By the time I finally got Herc I already had a grailed Ibaraki, so I've never actually really used him. Victory through the power of bananas.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Squiddycat posted:

how much did I miss out

The best time to get Marie is at the start, imo. She doesn't require that much investment to function as the tanky stalling Rider she's supposed to be, and you're early enough that her low damage isn't that much of a problem.

Anyway, the only low rolls on the starter roll are Stheno (because her NP doesn't do anything to the dragons infesting France and she needs to be in her final ascension to get her divine Charisma) and D'eon (because their NP doesn't do much at NP1 and they need a lot of investment before they can actually taunt), but the low rolls aren't that low. Use what you get, you'll probably be fine.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

J.A.B.C. posted:

Depends on who you ask. Expecting Clawtopsy in 3...2...1...

viva la france

yeah let's not

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I would argue Marie is a good starter Servant for the same reason as Jeanne is a carry when you're low level. Having essentially Protection from Arrows and being a defensive Servant early on is pretty good.

Plus, if you get really lucky later on with CE's and Skadi, she can potentially 3 turn with double Skadi, although you need plugsuit and Waver, but a new player won't care about that.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
You don't necessarily need waver, but she needs high np levels, like 4 or 5.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Marie is definitely in the "just because you can" section of viable Skadi loopers. You'd use her because you like her or to save bond on the actually good loopers, not because she's good at it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Comedy build: bond CE herc with 2x poster girl merlins

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Squiddycat posted:

how much did I miss out

My homie, you're on the France Train now

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
NP3 D'Eon, NP2 Vlad Extra, and Mordred from the GSSR. Pretty good new year's

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Edit: wrong thread.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Went into the GSSR hoping desperately for Waver or Merlin… got Osakabehime. Well, I guess she’ll be a decent servant in like a year and a half. Still kinda disappointing.

Don’t underestimate the power of Herc, even late in the game. I didn’t start with him but I did get him later, and ever since then he’s often ended up singlehandedly winning boss fights for me with his dodge and guts, and I don’t even have his bond ce yet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When we get Jason, Herc counts as an Argonaut!

Edit: DW please release the new Bronze early.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 2, 2020

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Was bitter about not getting anything but a surprise wassup from a new homie over the New Years rolls I made but then I actually sat down and dug in to all the rank ups/interludes I had on the back burners and made back a ton of quartz as well as a reminder that Eresh owns and was a great past pull all her own so I’m actually content. It’s funny, that’s twice now I’ve overspent quartz and things have just aligned to gift it right back to me lol, vive la France indeed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Level 80 Herc plus a bunch of random bronze/silver supports like Leonidas, Hans, Mozart, can absolutely pull you through every boss in part 1, except maybe Gawain.

Plus as Berserkers, herc and lancelot are the best starter pulls by default IMO. The only great Berserkers in the FP pool are Asterios, Spartacus, and Lu Bu, and Spartacus's damage is too low to do anythign against bosses, and Asterios needs really specific support. And Lu Bu is good and probably does more damage than Herc but he doesn't have his survivability skills.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 2, 2020

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Anyway, the only low rolls on the starter roll are Stheno (because her NP doesn't do anything to the dragons infesting France and she needs to be in her final ascension to get her divine Charisma) and D'eon (because their NP doesn't do much at NP1 and they need a lot of investment before they can actually taunt), but the low rolls aren't that low. Use what you get, you'll probably be fine.

D'Eon was my starter and I was able to make good use of them because I was happened to get Berseker Lancelot and Berserker Vlad soon after I started FGO. For more than half a year after I started playing I relied on D'Eon keeping my team alive with their taunt while my two Berserkers killed everything. I imagine that this setup would also work well with other Berserkers such as Darius and Kiyohime that a beginner player would have easy access to.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
My starter Camilla just murdered everyone. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
My starter was also Marie.

To date I think I've used her twice.

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

My starter was Elizabeth. She's currently Bond 10, because it took pretty much forever before I started getting Lancers.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

My starters were Stheno and Siegfried.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Starter was Tamacat. Since I got Waver and also lucked into an early Kaleidoscope, she was very nice for instantly shredding a wave

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

My starter was Liz.

Coincidentally, my first 4* on JP was also Liz.

Since I started JP FGO near launch, my actual starter on that was Caesar.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
My starter was Martha and I used her for the first year in my QP farming team. She's been great in specific cases like Nerofest Challenge Quests or Final Singularity 1-turn farming.

I also got NP2 Altera off of the first Gilgamesh banner, so I would go through all the story dropping Tarasque into Photon Ray. Martha's definitely not that great on her own, but I've always liked starting with her. Especially for the QP farming part.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
My starter was Herc, but I didn't know how the levelling curves worked and thought that he just didn't get any stronger at the point where he flatlines for 10 levels. So I didn't really use him for a really long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

My starter was Tamacat, but I got Nero Bride and Iba pretty early on so they got way more use instead.