Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Nyaa posted:

Yes, it might not be a guarantee 4*. The JP side have a event to let us pick from a list of 4*, then i guess they did change it to guarantee 4* for newer players?

They did. A while ago they changed the pool of starter servants to all 4* instead of the original pool that had two 4* and the rest 3*. The US release will start with the updated pool of all 4* for starter servants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Velyoukai posted:

No lie, I got 3 Gils on my old JP account by searching deep inside myself in order to accept my limitations as a person and as a human being, coming to terms with said limitations and loving myself anyway, and then throwing about 3 or 4 $20 bills at the screen as I 10-rolled, and that's how you get 3 Gils in 3 subsequent 10-rolls.

You throw the power of money at it just like Tokiomi did.

It's not Gil, but I've gone through 800+ gems, 60+ tickets and about $140 trying to get Rin and still haven't succeeded. So try not to get too crazy when you can't get what you roll on.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Ok, time to roll up my sleeves and get to rerolling. 1st attempt:

Well, that's done with.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Shinjobi posted:

What's the appeal of friend points rolls?

Less rare stuff, but just another shot at getting more stuff in general?

There are some 1-3 star servants that can carry you through hard fights before you build up a decent pool of 4-5 star servants. Kojiro Sasaki, 1 star assassin gained meme status in JP as "The Savior of France" for how hard he carried people through the first chapter. Cuchulain and Euryale are very highly regarded for similar reasons.

You can burn 3 star servants for Mana Prisms that you can convert into normal gacha single roll tickets.

During events, certain CE's give you bonuses and the FP usually has the 3 star CE for the event added. So it's a cheap way to get an event bonus if you don't want to roll on the normal gacha.

And then, of course, to get your waifu or husbando.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

My only 4*+ character from my tutorial and first rolls was Berserker. I guess that is grounds for rerolling? Also, I thought we were supposed to be able to pick a 4* tutorial roll character, but I did not see where to do that.

They haven't implemented the 4* you can choose yet. They'll get around to it.

Tired Moritz posted:

Well, I got Emiya, Rome, Fat Caesar, cu cu (prototype) and Boudica. Good?

It's pretty bad, honestly. Buf if all you want is Emiya than it looks like you're set. Personally, since there will eventually be a 4* you can choose, and I'm planning on getting Emiya from that, I wouldn't be satisfied with that roll. At least a good 5* CE like Formal Craft or Kaleidoscope would be needed.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Nate RFB posted:

Oh so the free 4* isn't live yet? In theory would this be something that if it were available would be given to you right out of the gate in the middle of this rerolling madness? I wonder if players who come in during that window and reroll a bunch would therefore have a leg up since they'd get an additional chance to grab a 4* in the same window.

Since this came out at Midnight on the east coast I won't be able to anything for ages :goleft:

I'm not sure I follow the logic. It's two guaranteed 4* regardless if you start now or later.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Nate RFB posted:

Working off of the available 1-4* ratings in the OP, and the list Endorph posted earlier, is there a rundown on these fellows since AFAIK they are also going to show up in these tutorial rerolls?

Medusa (Rider)
Boudica (Rider) **
Ushiwakamaru (Rider)
Alexander (Rider)
Medea (Caster)
Gilles de Rais (Caster) *
Mephistopheles (Caster)
Cu Chulainn (Caster) **
Jing Ke (Assassin)
Lu Bu (Berserker)
Darius III (Berserker)
Kiyohime (Berserker) **

Artoria [Alter] (Saber) *
Nero (Saber) *
Atalanta (Archer)
Lancelot (Berserker)

I assume it's not worth worrying about the **, since according to the Endorph post those are automatically given to you.

Endorph has nice breakdowns, but I'd like to add that NOT all these servants are available in the tutorial rolls, or even post-tutorial rolls. The ones with one * all require certain content to be cleared before becoming available in the gacha.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Centzon Totochtin posted:

2) What is QP, why do I have so much of it, and how do I spend it?

This is not a lot of QP. This game doesn't treat any currency as a throwaway. You will need tens of millions of QP to max out a single servant. But right now, the prices of doing anything are low.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Nyaa posted:

It feels like 80%...

For me it feels closer to 20%. I have seven 5* servants and only 2 were on banner. Everyone's experience is different.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

SpaceDrake posted:

It needs to be driven home: Waver isn't a damage-dealer. He exists to make other people live longer and hit harder.

This makes him a bit of a poor choice for the early game, since it's a bit more efficient to just blow things up. For later content, he is incredibly useful, however.

You can kind of leave him aside for now and focus on Emiya, Saber Lily, and anyone else you get from the FP gacha and whatnot.

Are people finding Emiya satisfactory? I remember people bitched about how terrible he was when the game was first released, because of his growth curve. Of course it was a lot harder to level servants back then as well.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Quetzadilla posted:

Well I definitely hit a hard wall at Carmilla in Orleans. After 2 10-pulls this is the roster I'm working with. Someone help me put together something useful (or tell me to reroll I guess). I suppose the time I've invested so far isn't that much even if it was 2ish days. I've just been blowing all my stam on xp dailies today trying to get some stats meanwhile I see a bunch of 60 supports already which is bonkers.
http://imgur.com/a/M30Vs

Your best bet is probably leveling Tamamo Cat a bit more and going for a Berseker or Waver Support Servant. If you want to devote resources to leveling a 1-star, Kojiro is at peak power in Orleans.

I've been going through Orleans with Kojiro/Martha. I wasn't looking to run with a semi-cannon ship meme team, but the game handed me 5 Kojiro's so he's tearing things up with a max level NP.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

a kitten posted:

Alright, finally through the tutorial/opening chapter and just watched the credits so I figure now's as good a time as any to ask questions.

First, I'd like to keep using Tomamo Cat so which of the following cute and or cool characters should I use along with her? Martha, Medea, Medusa, and Mash. (Why do they all start with M wth) I have saber Lilly and some other assorted people too of course, but nothing really jumps out at me.

I ended up with several Medeas so her np has been buffed too.

And second, I have enough quartz things for another 10 roll, should I just go ahead and pull it, or horde them for some event or something?

The big thing about using Martha with Tamamo Cat is Martha's ability to clear Tamamo's self-inflicted stun. It's also why she's a good recommendation to pair with Jeanne at this stage of the game. NP gains can be solved by having a CE that allows Tamamo to start with some NP gauge filled at the start of battle, having a Hans Christian Anderson NP battery, or using a Zhuge Liang (Waver) from your friend's list for NP battery.

EDIT: Martha needs at least 1 ascension to get her second skill that allows her to clear debuffs. So it may take some time for Tamamo to benefit from Martha's presence.

EDIT2: If you don't have a CE that gives you NP at the start of the battle, you may want to keep rolling. If you want Gilgamesh, I'd horde until his banner is released.

Trihugger fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 28, 2017

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Tae posted:

Does anyone on the friend list have a support able to carry 30 AP quests?

I've been relying on some random's lvl 60 Altera but she's kinda meh honestly.

If you haven't used the 10 free 4* EXP cards, I'd use them on all on your Herc. Find a high level Herc or Jeanne. That should be enough to get through even if they aren't on your friend's list.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

New Leaf posted:

Well I'm glad to see the Altria team come together to support her awesome because somehow I just got a second one..

Just use her. You won't regret it. There isn't anything that she can't wreck at this stage of the game. She'll always be really good for clearing out EXP dailies. By the time you get to content where it becomes apparent that she is outclassed, you'll have ways around it. There are multiple versions of Altria across most of the classes so don't be disappointed if the OG one is bad. A couple of them are pretty decent. A couple of them are worse, but don't focus on that.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

SereneCrimson posted:

So I impulse pulled a Jeanne...
Is the best way to level her just to buy the mana prism EXP card packs?

Yeah, unfortunately there aren't any Ruler EXP cards so you only get a bonus from the universal ones. But you'll probably eventually use off class EXP cards too, since you might start stockpiling for a class that you aren't leveling and have nothing to do with them.

I also pulled again, but didn't get Jeanne. Got Altera. The gacha is... good civilization? Probably still a better idea to stockpile right now. Considering how much earlier in the year NA launched compared to JP, I wonder if NA will keep the same banner/event schedule. I half expect something to be announced at Anime Expo. Waiting 2 months for the first banner and 2 and a half months for the first event sounds pretty terrible.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

cpaf posted:

So Altera is bad, but is she just bad for a 5* or is she bad generally? Seems like she does a ton of damage but her spells are quite average.

Also if I have Waver/Altera/Tamocat/Liz what free 4* should I be choosing to best complement my team?

Ultimately, the reason the two 5* Sabers are considered bad is because they get outclassed when future CE's and Servants are released. They aren't bad now. In fact, Gilgamesh is considered one of the best Archers in the game, but when he first releases, he won't be that much stronger than the two Sabers. It's just that future content benefits him more. There are no bad 5* for the current content. In fact Waver is probably the worst performing servant of the current 5*, but once he hits ascension level 3 he'll be a god amongst men.

As for which free 4* to pick, I'm going for Emiya not because he compliments my team, but because he's one of the most common bonus units for events. Martha benefits Tamamo by clearing her self-stun. Martha is also good with Jeanne if you ever snag her. Heracles is one of the best Berserkers in the game even compared to 5* Berserkers. Even though you already have a Berserker, running 2 Berserkers in a single team is surprisingly not that crazy. Marie Antoinette is the NA server's Meme Queen if you care about that. Carmilla is a solid Assassin in a game that lacks good Assassins for a long time. There are a lot of options.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Nate RFB posted:

This is my current hell. Need just a few pieces to ascend Herc and George before I try the 40AP, but it looks like all of it will have to wait until either I get lucky in the story or it shows up in a daily.

There are enough Berserkers in Orleans that you'll get all the pieces you need if you continue the story. And 2 level 40 characters way outlevel the content of Orleans.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Woah, scary. I tried starting up my game and got diverted to my email with a big string of numbers for an error code to send to the devs. Restarted my phone and the game works again, but I think I better generate my transfer code before another spook.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Sophism posted:

Cat would be splitting Berserker cards with Hercules, so I think I'd rather not do that until I've ascended him twice and capped him or something. If Emiya fits an Arts-spam team then I could see that being nice.

I've hit the point where it takes like 4 AP 30 dailies to level up. I really need to get Hercules to his first ascension so I can give AP 40 another shot.

Today's EXP quest is Archer and Caster. Martha should be able to get you through a lot of it on her own. You can try to find a Liz or Marie Antoinette from friend's list and that should be enough to get you through today's 40 AP quest. I've been running Martha lvl47/Waver lvl36/Support Marie lvl50.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Nate RFB posted:

Saber Alter got talked up a lot in a couple of places (not necessarily here) as being a great Saber to shoot for, like Herc/Robin/Cu level, and that was the primary reason I was strongly considering spending a few rolls trying for her. I guess in your view, when and who is the first "yo try to roll for this Saber"? To use your own rating system, the first one that you'd rate above a 8/10.

This is something that you kind of have to take on good faith right now, but here's the truth: AOE Buster Damage NPs are bad. Single target damage NPs are much better.

A caveat to that: AOE Buster Damage NPs are the best NPs in the game for the current content. And it will always be the best type of NP for clearing out dailies.

So there's going to be a huge disconnect on what you feel is effective now and what people who played the game on JP consider good. But even into the first event, you'll see how much better having higher amounts of single target damage can be on difficult fights. If a character has an AOE Buster Damage NP, it will always negatively affect their rating.

Beyond the NP, all the highest rated damage dealing Servants either have some extra synergy with critical hits or some way to generate a crazy amount of NP gauge. Salter has a really high attack value, but she doesn't have either of those two things.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Ronald Reagan. A cowboy who shoots nuclear missiles from space. Call it The Star Wars Program.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

NRVNQSR posted:

Unfortunately the materials for Andersen's second ascension won't be available for a few months yet.

If you still need Caster pieces for his first ascension you can get them from today's Duel with the four Warriors or from main story quests.

Not quite that long. They'll be available in the Nero Festival Event. But there won't be any permanent farmable location in the game for a while.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Captain Baal posted:

He was considered rear end until his animation update in like March of 2016, so he wasn't as good as he is now for a while and then they made him really good.

Not that it's relevant anymore, but I thought he was also considered good before they reworked how crit stars were generated. When he was first released, he was the best crit star generator in the game, but they nerfed how many stars Buster and Arts cards generated and buffed Quick. I think they also tweeked how many stars you could generate off of overkill, so Gil bullying an already dead opponent to generate 20-30 stars is no longer a thing. I guess he was bad for like 3 months and top tier for the rest of the life of the game.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
It's probably not a coincidence, but also no special meaning to it. I think at the time the game launched, The LNs for Apocrypha were the biggest things going on for the Fate franchise. So it makes sense that the game would promote those characters first if you didn't know anything about them so maybe you go out and buy the books. Or pull existing fans into the game with characters they recognize, but are relatively new.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

delfin posted:

Yes, though you only get the clear bonus (prisms) once per day per quest.

I was thinking more about how this week's masters are servant-specific (beat 5 then 10 Servants, beat 3 each of Divine, Roman, Chaotic and Lawful Servants). I'm not sure if that's possible without having Story quests available.

Shadow Servants count. I completed the Rome part in today's 30 AP Knight Daily. It takes a bit of luck to get the right servants.

The lawful and chaos/divine can be done in Fuyuki X-E and X-F free quests.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Hunt11 posted:

Is there any point in doing the daily event quest over the ember gathering quests?

You mean the 3 Knights or 4 Horsemen one? On Tuesday and Wednesday it's for gathering class pieces, monuments and void dust for ascension mats. On Thursday and Friday it's for gathering skill gems and various ascension mats that drop from monsters.

EDIT: Saturday and Sunday are the same as Tuesday and Wednesday.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

W.T. Fits posted:

Lancelot and two Kaleidoscopes from a 10 pull. Gonna stop there, I wanna save up for when I eventually clear Rome so I can start pulling in vain for my waifu Nero.

Hold off on pulling until Nero Festival, which is the first event. She has a rate up banner during the event.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Stagger_Lee posted:

I wasn't expecting the AP discount and couldn't spend enough of it before work, so now I'm stressing about all the wasted AP.

Spent what I had accumulated. Still don't have a 5* servant, but pulled a few 5* CEs, St. Martha, and NP duplicates of Lancelot, Cu Chullain, Medea, and the 3* Rider I've been using who jumps on boats. So my team got a little stronger in a lot of ways. I only ascended Tamamo Cat once, I'll probably switch her out for unsexy zombie Lancelot.

Alternatively, Use both plus a friend's list Hercules for Maximum Berserking.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Gologle posted:

So I've been trying to get optimal results from Command Card combos in battle. I've read somewhere (probably here) that for optimal NP gauge gain, it's Arts-Buster-Quick, because of how the order and each card works. Arts being the first card grants a bonus to every card after it for NP generation, and the last card gets the biggest boost, but because Buster barely gives any NP gauge it's better to stick it second, and Quick third to get optimal NP gains.

For maximum damage I guess it would be something like Buster-Arts-Quick, and for optimal star generation it would be Quick-Arts-Buster. Am I correct in these assumptions?

If so, does that apply only to a single Servant, or to all of them? Like, if I get a hand that has all cards for only 1 Servant, the above information is accurate for getting the most out of the Servant, whether it be NP gain, crit star gain, or sheer damage, but is it also true if the hand is full of cards from all three Servants?

These combos are specific to having a single unit doing all the attacks with all 3 card types available. They're for maximizing the output depending on what you are trying to get from having 3 attacks of 3 different cards on a single Servant. Also, I believe max damage is Buster-Quick-Arts, not Buster-Arts-Quick.

There is also a hidden mechanic that the game never tells you about where your Extra Attack deals more damage if you attack with all 3 card types.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Max skill levels don't make or break any Servants. It's just something you can keep working on to continue the progression of characters beyond max leveling or max stat boosting. Just another thing people can work towards, but not mandatory. Level 8 is the max skill level I have on any servant on JP. Worry about it if you want, forget about it if you want. If you do worry about it, Mona Lisa is a big help.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Nate RFB posted:

Also, a PSA to Herc owners: I might/probably am talking out of my rear end here, but NP-boosting CEs on Herc are not that useful IMO, because any turn that you are not using that Herc's Buster Card is a bad turn which means ideally he should almost never be boosting his NP unless by "accident" (bad shuffles that only give you his Arts card, he gets hit during an Evade turn, etc.). Stuff that boosts Buster performance like Limited / Zero Over is way better IMO.

That depends on the content and other servants you're using. For farming pieces and monuments, I pick a support Herc with Kaleidoscope or Imaginary Element and boost his NP to 100% with Waver. Herc 1-rounds the single boss on the last wave this way. For most other content, I usually pick one of the support Hercs with Limited/Zero Over or some other Buster boosting CE.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Anyone know of a Free Quest or Interlude Quest that drops Caster Pieces? I'm 1 short of Waver's second ascension. Couldn't quite finish in time before the rollover for the new dailies.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Someone translated Jeanne Alter's new Interlude on Reddit and it starts with Cu gambling all his money away against Billy the Kid. Even when the story has nothing to do with him, the E rank luck rears its head.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

rio posted:

Edit: wait, I misunderstood. I did have Tamocat as my first support setup character. What is the purpose of all of the slots in that menu? If the first one is the one that is shared then what are all of the other class slots for?

The other slots are also shared. You can share 8 different servants with people. When you enter a quest and select your Support Servant, at the top are the symbols for all the main classes. Those are buttons you can press to scroll through the other slots available to use.

Don't worry if you never noticed,. The game never tells you about it. I quit playing playing for a while when there used to only be one slot. When I came back, I only figured out you could select from multiple servants by accident.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

the_steve posted:

How is Ishtar as a unit? I know she isn't out yet, but, I wanna know if she's worth saving up to whale for when she does drop.

She's usually rated below Gilgamesh, but the two of them are the highest rated 5* Servants that have AOE damage NPs. Her skills beat out Gil's, but her crit star gen is complete garbage whereas Gil is above average. Ishtar also hasn't had a NP upgrade Interlude added to the game yet, so Enuma Elish outperforms it quite a bit. But really they are so close in power that you can choose who to use between them based on preference.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Nate RFB posted:

OK. Again it's probably one of those things that will make perfect sense how to balance it all once said events get underway. If those events really are the only way to powerup those extra servants then obviously it makes the most sense to take advantage of that time to do so, but anything at all to alleviate the insanity of grinding monuments is something I would want to do almost equally. I guess my hope is that you wind up maxing out the NP super early and if you're on the ball can use the remaining time to get tons of monuments.

Maxing out an event servant's NP and farming monuments are not mutually exclusive things. You'll usually be farming the event currency to buy monuments at the same time you are farming the mats needed to max the NP.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I only need one more Lancer monument and one more Archer monument to ascend my Jeanne, but it looks like the daily quest for those monuments won't come back until Saturday. Is there no other way to get monuments right ow besides those quests?

Paris free quest. Shadow Jeanne has a chance to drop Saber, Archer and Lancer pieces and monuments. With a drop pool that diluted, good luck getting what you want.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Nate RFB posted:

I dunno, I'm already at around 400 prisms 3 weeks into this thing and it doesn't feel that crazy to think you'd be able to get to 5,000 in due time. It helps that at least right now I have no more dudes left to level up and it feels like a huge waste of time worrying about stockpiling pieces/monuments and skill components until the better quests come around, so pretty much the only thing to do now is get as many prisms as possible.

Longer term I'm wondering how practical it would be to get 5 Mona Lisas and 5 Chaldea Lunchtimes. Those don't come out at the same time, I hope.

The argument is that instead of having stockpiled 400 prisms, if you instead stockpiled a ton of QP, you'd come out ahead until you do that for 290 days with Mona Lisa. Of course that post assumes 7k mana prisms needed when it will probably cost 5k. So that's almost 90 days knocked off the calculated break even point.

But the big thing that Mona Lisa also brings is more Friend Points. Some servants will stop getting high frequency picks as support servants as time goes on. Jeanne is a big example. Mona Lisa will still get you a good chunk of FP income 2 years later. And FP will always be useful to level new CEs, burn extra copies of 3* stuff for mana prisms, fish for cheap event CEs, and the constant hunt for Angra Mainyu.

EDIT: Not saying that makes it worth it to farm for a Mona Lisa. It's still a big hassle that will take a long time to break even on the cost, but there's more value to the CE than just the QP.

Trihugger fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 14, 2017

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

MonsieurChoc posted:

No luck for Arash, but I did unlock Emiya's second Interlude and his Noble Phantasm upgrade. He's such a mom.

So UBW upgrade is in the game? I ascended Altera to level 2, but her NP upgrade quest didn't show up. Is there any way to find out which upgrade quests are in the game right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Vengarr posted:

Altera's 2nd interlude probably won't be in for a while, since the servants in it haven't been released yet.

This makes sense. Probably the reason for other servants missing their upgrade interludes too.