Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Some events I can sometimes end up scrambling to get some Servants leveled either because they had a specific kit needed for challenges like Ibaraki; Onigaishima, or Nerofest. Or because they gave bonuses for an event but were too weak level wise to field.

Luckily for us, we know in advance what the likely events are in what order, so perhaps we can level Servants appropriately for it; like I went and got Kintoki Rider to 80 for this event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

I mean if you can throw money at the game (which is obviously in their best interest) to force yourself past an obstacle, then that's "OK" as an alternative. I was thinking of a situation where, yeah I could eventually roll for some 4* or 5*, but they'd start at a low level and would really need some battles to get to where they need to be, but welp there are no means to buff/grind them up because you have to do the story right then and there.

Well the XP system for Servants is independent of battling. You can just try to store up enough 4* XP cards for when you need to quickly level something up in a jiffy.

You never have to do the story; some story content is locked behind other content, but they throw special events at you making them cost less AP and so on whenever they are about to toss a new event that story locks you.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
No one has the Golden Boxes CE LB'd, which makes me sad.

The Blue Oni was a little tricky with Ibaraki as she's kinda glass canon'ish and it's difficult keeping her alive with Waver+Waver; Mashu+Waver or Waver+Merlin seem like better bets the next time Red Oni appears.

The boxes/cloth/corals seem like they have suspiciously low drop rate but I probably haven't unlocked the better nodes yet.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I don't regret having her.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It is so frustrating whenever the Oni's crit Ibaraki.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think Ibaraki just doesn't work vs Blue Oni, the defence down makes out healing impossible :( I'll try Ishtar since at least she's also a buster.

e: Kuro still does something like 900k so I'll just put her there.

Conot posted:

Is there a list somewhere of what Servants will be summonable at launch (assuming the same pool as when FGO launched in JP)?

ID's 1 through 59 IIRC exceptions being Kintoki iirc.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So are we getting Saber Lily, free 4*, 45 Quartz, + Tutorial 10 roll?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Thuryl posted:

It's kinda reflective of the VNs in a way, too; Nasu mentioned in an interview once that he often ends up writing relationship dynamics involving a more physically powerful female character being supported by a more emotionally resilient male character, although it's something he's tried to vary a bit.

It's spawned a bunch of inferior copycats but it's a dynamic that feels uniquely Nasu's style and I like it a lot. :)

Related, one thing I also felt was very "Type-Moon" in terms of art style is "Casually conservatively dressed heroines": Shiki, Saber, Arcuid, kinda sooorta Tohsoka, her red shirt covers a decent amount compared to a lot of anime today. It's something I *like* and find refreshing from TM and why some of the FGO Servant designs are just blergh and are disappointing, they abandon what I considered to be TM's signature 'style'.

e: One thing I look forward to with NA FGO is that because I can finally fully read and understand the game, plus my existing experiences, I should be able to be waaaay more effective even with 3*'s+Welfare 4*'s then I ever could with JP FGO.

e2: Do we have a steamgroup? Do we want one? Would we just join whichever one Reddit comes up with or are they sufficiently cancer that we don't want to do that?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 24, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Compendium posted:

Yeah as Takeuchi's style evolved and improved, the female characters looked very appealing without having to cater to anyone's preferences and they dressed and are drawn with consideration to how clothes work most of the time. Shiki has my favorite design because it's so striking without having to resort to fanservice which is a problem in FGO and in other anime related media.

Shiki also apparently wears a really expensive tailored kimono for her to be able to fight the way she does in it, which is a nice detail.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
There might be a Saber Astolfo eventually. He is one of Charlemagne's Knights after all.

e: Dunno if we're going to be doing fanart in the thread, but here's something I found which is good.

Something about this reversal is really endearing.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 24, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Why would you want to pick D'eon over hurk if you roll Zhuge?

Roll Waver and the rest of your team literally doesn't matter. Waver-Mashu results at level 10 being able to almost always having their defence buffs up; so you can slot in almost anyone else to get through content.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

you, uh, probably want an offensive character to go with those two, unless you love taking 6 hours to kill a trash mob

That's a downside but I usually prefer that over frustration.

e: I did imagine though Waver+Mashu+Any Offencive Servant.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I just want it on the emulator to make rerolling easier and to avoid accidenting my JP account data. :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Velyoukai posted:

Level 100 Hans I promise I'll let you reach glory.

I saw a thread discussing this, this isn't very good use of grails if you're doing it for stats. If its for because he's your friend then that's different.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So 20 hours of rerolling I have managed to at some point acquire every 5* except Waver. Ideally I was really hoping for Waver and Jeanne but that never materialized. :(

My main frustrations was that Memu/FGO kept crashing. Particularly when trying to run 3 clients. 2 isn't much more stable. Also Memu doesn't run very well at all on my laptop. Didn't have my proper charing cable so my phone was only effective as a device for a few hours.

Then there's those annoying Communication Errors where they have a hidden anti-rerolling measure where if you attempt 6 rerolls in under 30 minutes your locked out for around 10 minutes.

So as a result, I have approx. 15 accounts available. I'm going to keep one as a spare as I have an idea of maybe trying to do a Lets Play of the campaign and the events as they happen.

TamaCat, Liz
TamaCat, Kiyohime:
Herk, Lancelot, Deon
Artoria, Carmilla, D'eon [Taken]
Herc, Liz
Liz, Carmilla, NP 3 Kiyo, Gandr, Divine Banquet
Liz, Ushi, K-Scope
Nyanta, NP 2 Deon, NP 3 Caesar, Martha
Vlad, EMIYA, Kiyohime
Artoria, Liz, Marie, TamamoCat, Kiyo[Taken]
Altera, Martha, Cu, Heaven's Feel[Taken]

Anyone interested? Also I only list the CE's for some of them, I didn't bother for the most part.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 27, 2017

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Okay so I'm actually having trouble recovering my Jeanne account, does FGO NA have a support email? It's either my password or my bind code is wrong.

Super No Vacancy posted:

can I have Artoria, Liz, Marie, TamamoCat, Kiyo plz

Sure, pm sent.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jehuti posted:

Would i be able to take this one? This is Atilla the hun right? I dont have pms tho.

Are you on discord? I can post the password but just in case and yes it's Atilla.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Jehuti posted:

Ah yeah I'm in the discord that was posted earlier here, GHOSTDAD#5098

Sent.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Do we know the rates for 5* servants? There is no way that its 1%, feels way worse.

I just spent 20 hours trying to roll for Waver and failed. :negative:

On the other hand, Artoria and Jeanne twice, Attila once, Vlad III once, 6 SSR's out of 20 pulls? That seems about on par with what I notice on the JP server. If I have enough quartz for 10 10 pulls I usually score at least 1 SSR; it's not certain but it does seem to happen.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm kinda sad about the 20 hours rerolling for Waver turning up nothing but Jeanne has been amazing so far, if only she wasn't attempt #4 out of 20... I really wanted to try to pull double SSRs! :D

Tarezax posted:

For y'all going through Orleans: they called Kojirou the Savior of France for a reason

For whatever reason France doesn't seem so difficult this time around, Probably because of the easier time pulling 5*'s from the gacha? I have him and leveled him to 30 just in case though.

The story translation does make a significant improvement in France, but there's still some non-sequitors.

Such as one point Ritsuka/ko gets to answer a dialogue prompt with "Fake Monsters are pretty common." Or something similar. Which made me very confused and couldn't understand the context. A fan translated it apparently as: "There are many liars who would deceive otherwise" which sounds like it would make more sense but I don't remember the scene anymore. :v:

I really gotta say FGO NA has been incredibly enjoyable, the feeling of "I now know what the buttons do!?!?!" just never ends.

I've been helping out my friend, like should he level CE's etc (My understanding is, there isn't a point to level them past like their initial ascension point; level the ones you use so your Servants get the bonus but leveling a 5* CE that's LB'd has been taking me over a year and still only level 96...).

He's used a couple of quartz clearing the 40 AP as to "Not lose the time already invested" :negative:

(He has a good job that pays well so he doesn't care if it's a bit of a waste.)

I'm really digging the discord, great to have a platform to discuss FGO with people in real time.

Right now it seems like assuming the gacha rate up schedule follows the JP one, then I have something like 6 months to gather quartz before any interesting Servants appear (and boy howdy does Winter look rough for my wallet). I don't know how much quartz I can get in that time, but the more pulls the better.

Also apparently reddit has spotted some American Whales, they do exist! FGO NA might be safe yet!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So I am generally going to try to save my friendslots for other goons so I've been rejecting most invites that aren't on the spreadsheet (For FP farming I accepted a bunch but the next 5 slots are reserved basically).

I accepted you Franz we're good. :)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

I wonder if it's worth hoarding the tickets for rateups or whether most players just do that with quartz.

Yes, that's what I do. I had 42 tickets stockpiled and went through 20 of them and got Ishtarin.

You might not of course get anything, but you have more attempts at getting a Servant you want then if you just spend them as you get them.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tarezax posted:

Drunken Kansai Aoi Yuuki is best Aoi Yuuki.

Okita (the other Aoi Yuuki) is also aces. I love how she goes from super serious in battle to total goof out of combat.

Drunken Aoi Yuuki is basically her smug character from Reset. Goofy/Serious Aoi Yuuki is basically her character from symphogear.

We just need another Aoi Yuuki that's Tanya.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Idgi.

Nice. Is it just me or is FGO USA actually somewhat successful? I have so many people spamming me for friendship.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

news from anime expo:

They had three translators total, lol.
Will be rewriting Fuyuki and patching up Orleans, as well as all the menus and such.
No change to Altria.
Still fuzzy on when you'll get to pick the 4*.
News on events coming soon.
They're in talks about NA-specific events.

I want to basically try to forgive them but jesus christ the widespread mistakes are pretty bad and I hope early indications are good that they're willing to put in more investment.

Altria is still stupid and basically no fan in the west thinks this is a good idea, is there really no way they can sit down with Type-Moon and explain the situation and what the audience expects?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
:sigh: lost my shot at leveling Rin's skills this week. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
No wonder Aniplex made like over a 100 million$ this year...

I'm debating putting FGO NA on my phone so I can do some quests and be AP efficient during lunch at work.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

I can only imagine that the reasons for Jeanne Alter's popularity is due to gameplay reasons and/pror event/interlude segments, because Orleans did very little to endear her for me.

I liked her in Orleans because she came off as rather tragic and sad. Like the lone Dalek in the first season of New Doctor Who. Someone whose only allowed emotion is hate and rage and yet whose entire existence is suffering and brings her only pain. There's a woobie factor here.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The answer is grinding dailies is going to be poor until the better ones, and they'll still be aggravating and not good if you need like more than 5 of a thing.

Events are where you get your mats.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gologle posted:

So I've been doing some digging to find out what I should save Mana Prisms for, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the only one that seems worth it is the Bond Points card, Chaldea Lunchtime. The other two (all of which, to max out, costs 7k MP) don't seem that worth the effort to save/grind for. I imagine QP costs get ridiculous later on, but the QP card, for what it takes to max, doesn't seem worth the investment. And the exp one just strikes me as pointless because I'm leveling my outfit up just fine as is.

But I'm not a FGO veteran, so I'm asking for opinions as to whether or not to save for them. I'd like to get the BP card when it comes out, but I don't know if the other two are worth saving for.

Factor in playing the game for 2 years at least, needing around 600,000,000 qp if you manage even 3 SSR's, and that you can have a support with a LB QP CE.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My opinion on Summoning tickets is that you shouldn't impulse use them to pull, but save up at least 20 of them and roll them all one at a time and stop once you got something good/satisfactory, and then save the remaining for the next event.

Probability dictates that while each pull is an independent event, the odds of rolling a SSR increases with more pulls, so 20-50 Summon Tickets followed by 10 Pulls to try to increase your chances. I got Rinshtar and Enkidu via Summoning Tickets and then Ibaraki with 10 pulls right afterwards during Onigaishima.

New Leaf posted:

How is this different than Fate/Stay Night? This might be what we watched, actually.. its on NetFlix.

The original Visual Novel is divided into three "Routes", they are three distinct technically stand alone story lines you play in sequence (completing Fate opens UBW, UBW opens Heaven's Feel).

Each route is stand alone in that after the initial 2-3 days of story they each have a different turning point which diverges the events of the story and events unfold completely differently.

i.e UBW happens because you restrain Saber from injuring Archer outside Shirou's house; Heaven's Feel happens with a combination of you letting Archer get ganged by Saber and then also sufficiently woo'ing Sakura IIRC so she's motivated into joining the HGW war herself to protect you.

Each route has it's own different and distinct ending, and each ending gradually unveils more of the overall mystery behind the events of the HGW and why it seems to have gone off the rails as badly as it did.

Each route also has different themes in addition to the plot being different; Fate is about/has the theme of the relationship between Servant and Master. UBW focuses more on the Servants themselves, and then Heaven's Feel comes back to focusing more on the Masters as characters (This is one of many possible interpretations).

What makes the VN feel so compelling for me is that the writing is actually genuinely good and not just LN romcom dating sim drivel. The different routes are fleshed out and seem to be written to delibately contrast with each other, events and conversations in some routes that have an echo or reverse echo with the other routes. Many conversations take on additional or a different meaning entirely once you've completed different routes.

So in addition to being animated by Ufotable (while Fate was animated by DEEN), the UBW series is also a different story albeit with similarities; as the overall story arc (the war for the Holy Grail) remains the same.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like Illya for boss or mid boss Assassins.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bakanogami posted:

How they'll typically go is that you'll get the welfare servant at the end of the event story, but then to level up their NP or get ascension mats you'll have to do extra content. Sometimes that means clearing much higher level stuff, sometimes that means running one level a hundred times to grind for event items to buy it.

I strongly recommend getting all the welfares you can. I slacked off on a bunch of events and regret it.

Same, I still haven't been able to max ascend Santa and she's one of the best 4* Riders.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/comments/547qlv/budget_android_devices_that_can_run_fgo_how_to/

The cheapest non-refurbished on that list is a Lenovo TAB2 A10 at $160, which is what I got. I've had a few crashes some slight slowdown on some NP animations but it otherwise plays the game fine.

E: Alternatively try some of the tactics in that post about how to speed up performance; I can attest that it helps my regular non-FGO phone.

Also keep an eye on kijiji/craigslist for used smart phones. I got my HTC M8 for 120$ and it's valued on Amazon at like 300-400$ (CDN).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Spending just my usual AP on the dailies isn't that much of a chore once you're initial Servants are at the 40-50 hump and odds are you'll accumulate all the statues you need.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

Guys. Please. There will be better Dailies. There will be event Stores that sell the mats you want.

Please stop grinding for stuff if you don't find it fun.

Skinnerbox.txt

They do usually drop something right now, so I don't consider it unfun or a waste, they're legit challenging because a stray crit will kill your support Zerker.

I'll be happier though once we get the better quests.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Jeanne's upgraded NP should keep her useful until Merlin.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vengarr posted:

If you feed a CE a copy of itself its max level increases, do that four times and its base effect improves. This can make some 3* CEs actually decent, like Dragon Meridian (you start with 50% NP instead of 30%) or Grimoire.

That's it really. Although the stat boosts from a max-level 5* CE can be considerable, so its worth upgrading them. A max-level Kaleidoscope boosts Attack by 2,000 points. (You will never get a max-level Kaleidoscope)

Azoth Blade and Black Keys will always suck. Their only use is to feed other CEs or be burned for Prisms.

My level 98 Limited / Zero Over begs to differ! (JP Server and it's taken two years :ssh: albeit I think there's a couple of events I didn't optimize my acquisition and usage of XP CE's)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I ascended Jeanne and grailed her to level 92. :toot:

Randallteal posted:

Do they ever do sales on premium quartz?

Not that I've seen, maybe you can get discounted google play cards? Like at Costco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vengarr posted:

They make a point in the original VN that he's a lot stronger when he isn't fighting one-on-one duels to the death. His skillset is actually more suited for more prolonged hit-and-run battles, but he really enjoys one-on-one duels. So that's what he does.

Having the lance sealed actually forces him to play more to his strengths, his whining nonwithstanding.

I'm pretty sure this is Diarmiud who you would still need to convince to do it this way, i.e because Diarmiud has Disengage iirc.