Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The US servers won't be connected to the JP ones will they? So JP accounts can't be friends with US ones?

I've been playing casually since JP launch and don't feel like leaving Mordred and Gilgamesh behind just to make it a little easier to read the story.

I have such a love/hate relationship with this game. It's great at times but really frustrating at others.

Also, have they announced the micro transaction pricing in the US release? Is it going to be ridiculous like the JP one where it costs like 25 bucks for one roll of the gacha? If it were cheaper I would have dropped so much money on this game but I just can't bring myself to do it knowing how low the drop rates are for rare servants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really want them to add an EMIYA Lily servant who's just plain old Shirou.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

Heck yea, Im totally into this, even though I usually hate gachas and mobile games, just becouse of fate (and becouse I will travel a lot in next few weeks and I need something to kill time...). I just started, and everything works super smooth, even though I am filthy euro with old phone.

That being said, I have few hard hitting questions:

1) How unforgivable is the gacha? I know, It was repeatedly stated that you can clear everything with trash-tier Servant team, but I am talking about the true purpose of the game ie. waifu hunting.
When there is some limited event going on, is it humanly possible to score the Servant you want without spending $$$? Assuming you prepare for the event, of course.

2) Is there any point in MC gender outside of the way you look? Do Servants or the story react differently based on your gender? Or does the genders have different personalities?

1) Let me put the gacha this way. You will absolutely get a 5 star servant or two eventually. But it will probably not be the one you want, and you will never upgrade their NP past level one unless you have the devils luck or have sunk thousands of dollars into the gacha.

As an anecdote, after having played the JP version super casually since a bit after launch, but collecting all the free quartz they give you after maintenance and downtime (which in my experience is your primary source of free income), I only have a total of 3 five star servants, none of whom I was aiming for, but all of whom have grown on me somewhat over time.

I would honestly focus on your three and four star servants first. While your master level is low, it's difficult to field the rare guys, and they're so slow to level that the rest of your roster can get starved for xp cards.

2) It changes a couple lines here and there slightly, but the broad gist is still the same, i.e. Every female servant who wants to bone Gudao is also a lesbian for Gudako. Also, you can change sex in the options at any time with no consequences, so you can change if you don't like it.

That being said, you should go for Gudako, the female sprite. She's the star of Riyo's FGO comics which are the best thing to come out of this game, while Gudao was only the star of the kinda crappy one episode anime they made about the first chapter.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, thanks everyone.

So I did the first two 10x gachas and results are....mostly mediocore or weak Servants (my first 4* was Elizabeth) aaand..... I got Jeanne in my second gacha who is apparently 5* and a Ruler? I kinda wanted to reroll before, becouse I was really unimpressed by the Servants I got, but I dont mind Jeanne and there is snowball chance in hell I'll ever get her again if I rerolll so....
Is she good? Especially when starting out and being totally clueless about the game?

Jeanne D'arc (Ruler)

+Arguably the face of the game! On all the promotional materials, and heroine of the first real story arc.
+Rulers are very useful.
+It's good to have a support servant.
+5 Star servants will faceroll the early game with their elevated stats alone.
+Appearing in this summer's Fate Apocrypha anime.

-Utterly upstaged by her Alter version in character, popularity, and power. Despite arguably being one of the main faces of the game she's kind of forgotten about.
-There are other support servants, and at the start of the game it would be nice to have a servant with some firepower rather than going double-defense with Mashu.
-The early game is pretty facerollable even without a 5 star. Plus they're hard to field while your master level is low.
-In the grand scheme of things there's been some power creep and she's kind of mediocre. Many servants have ways of getting a turn of invincibility without having to rely on Jeanne's NP, and until you upgrade it the self stun is really painful.

But honestly, this is a waifu collecting game. If she's your waifu then go for it.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

Edit: Okay so with the free Quartz is there any reason not to do a 10-roll again? If what we have right now is the 'default' gacha is it worth hanging onto quartz for banners?

Unless you're wanting to run the reroll gacha again looking for 5-stars, or unless you literally have no preference what servant you get, I'd probably wait?

FGO doesn't have anything quite like godfests, but they'll often pick 1-2 servants and give a special gacha that gives them a moderate rate up, and there are quite a few servants who aren't available in the regular story gacha and only show up in these events. Sometimes these special gacha show up for the regular in-game events (I think Nero will get one pretty soon?), sometimes they do them for holidays and such. Around New Years in the JP version they do a big thing where every day a different popular 5 star servant gets a rate up gacha.

There's reason to wait for the normal story gacha, as well. Some servants aren't added to it until you progress to a certain point in the story, though you can still get them through events and such.

The usual FGO gacha tactic is to miserly save all your quartz until there's a rate up gacha with someone you're aiming for, dump all of it, and then cry over your pile of 4 star CEs.

Maybe I'd give one pull at the start just to help fill out your early game roster a bit, but in general it's a saving game.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 26, 2017

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did they literally go out of their way to change the little indicator that a servant will do extra damage from saying "Weak" (in English) to "Effective"? Are they just going for pokemon comparisons?

EDIT: wow this translation is pretty poo poo

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 26, 2017

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There seems to be some confusion, so here's all the ways you can improve your servants.

1. Level To raise a servant's level, you need xp cards, aka embers, I think? They're randomly dropped by story quests, you get small ones from the friend point gacha, you can buy them with mana prisms (the green cubes, not mana quartz, which you use to summon), and there are daily quests which will give xp cards for different classes every day. Note that while you can only get the mana prism reward from the daily quest once a day, you can run those quests as much as you want to gather xp cards.

You feed these to your servants in the top option in the strengthening menu. Note that you can also feed them other servants for xp, but they don't give very much so it's not really worth it. You can use them for other stuff later.

There are class based xp cards and classless xp cards. You can use any cards for any class, but you get a bonus for using the right ones. It's a good idea to make use of this and give nonstandard classes like Shielder, Ruler, and Avenger priority on the classless cards.

Raising your servants level will increase its hp and attack. Rarer servants naturally have higher levels for this, but they're also usually harder to level. Servants level in different rates and growth patterns depending on the servant. But in general, it's a lot easier at early levels. You can get a servant up to 20-30 really quickly, but starting around level 50 it gets really slow.

Servants have level caps based on rarity. Rarer servants have higher level caps. You can increase the cap with...

2. Ascension By giving a servant some items/crafting materials, you can ascend them to their next form. Ascending will unlock new skills, raise the level cap by 10, and (often) change the servants appearance. Some servants strip, others put on more layers.

Every servant can ascend four times. The final ascension will unlock a fancy new portrait for them.

Since common servants have lower level caps, they have some advantage in that you can unlock their skills quickly. Rare servants may be stronger, but you'll only have their first skill or two for quite a while.

You ascend using the fourth option in the strengthening menu.

You can get the items needed for ascension through event stores, story missions, and the second set of daily missions. However, be careful how you use them, because they're also used by...

3. Skill strengthening Every servant has three usable skills in battle. They start at level one, and can be leveled up to 10. These use many of the same items/materials as ascension. They start fairly cheap, but upgrading a skill to its highest levels requires a ton of rare resources.

In particular, upgrading skills is the biggest eater of QP, which is the generic currency. You get it from doing everything, and there's a set of dailies to get it specifically.

Everything uses it, but the higher levels of skill upgrades devour it at huge rates. You'll probably completely ignore QP until you go to level up your first skill to max, and then go bankrupt partway through.

You upgrade skills using the second option in the strengthening menu.

4. Grails If you love your waifu so much and shower her with gifts, sooner or later they will hit the max level of their final ascension. But don't give up! You can keep leveling them up by feeding them holy grails!

Whenever you clear a story chapter or an event, you will usually receive a holy grail item. By using the last option on the strengthening menu, you can give a servant one of these grails to raise their max level by 5, up to a max of 100 (IIRC, its been a while)

The general consensus is that it's not a big enough boost to stress over gameplay wise. Give grails to the servants you like the most and use the most and don't worry about if they're good or not.

5. NP upgrade By having a servant cannibalize another copy of the same servant, you can upgrade their noble phantasm, up to a maximum of level 5.

By upgrading, it not only increases on power, it also increases your maximum charge, up to 300% at level 5.

You do this in the 5th option on the strengthening screen. Not the first, where you can eat other servants for xp. There's no cannibalism allowed there, and only cannibalism allowed in the 5th option.

This is one mechanic that gives common servants an advantage. It's quite possible to upgrade the NPs of servants up to 3 stars, but if you have fully upgraded a 5 star servant you have probably spent too much money on this game.

6. Fou cards Using the same interface as feeding servants xp, you can also feed them Fou, the mascot squirrel(?). Fou cards will give a tiny bump in stats, up to a maximum of 1-2k. You get Fous through the friend gacha, events, and buy them with mana prisms.

7. Bond At the end of battle you'll get a screen of all your servants gaining a few hundred points of something and filling in some star-shaped gauges. This is bond. Bond is how much your servant likes you. It used to go up to 5, but now it goes up to 10 (unless they haven't implemented this yet in the English version?). 1-5 is comparatively easy, 5-10 is super slow.

Bond itself doesn't affect anything, but as it goes up it unlocks other stuff. At each level 1-5 you get a new voice line with the servant in your room, and a new piece of text in their profile, for instance. And at level 10 you're given a piece of servant-specific equipment that boosts the abilities of your whole party.

It's also a requirement for unlocking...

8. Interludes and Strengthening Quests These are unlocked by a combination of story progression, bond level, and ascension.

Basically, you get a few scenes with your servant and accompanying fights. At the end of them, you'll get the last chunk of text in the servants profile, and sometimes (depending on the servant) earn an upgrade to one of their skills or their NP.

*This is based on the JP version so some stuff might be different for the English release.

**Mash is a special case. Her bond and ascension rise automatically as you progress through the story, and she gains some upgrades too. You can still level her up, upgrade skills, and feed her Fous normally, though.

***This only covers servants. There's also master level, Mystic code (aka the MC's clothes) level, new mystic codes you can get for them, Craft Essences/equipment, leveling up CEs, ascending CEs, etc.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
/\
I wouldn't say like 40-50 hours of farming, but waver does shine a lot more after he's leveled.

The reason waver is amazing is he pumps out sick amounts of NP gauge to your party. All three of his skills grant NP, as a caster he has three arts cards, as well as his NP. While his NP doesn't do damage, it's also great as a support, both stunning enemies and reducing their NP charge, as well as reducing their defense, meaning your other servants do more damage.

Let me put it this way: I don't have Waver on my JP account, but I'm pretty sure I've picked him as a support more than any other servant.

What's more, he works well with Emiya, who also has three arts cards. Put them together and you'll be able to spam UBW over and over. And since you drew two Emiyas you can level UBW up to be extra effective.

Seriously, that's a great core for an Arts team right there. Find a friend with a servant with a powerful NP, pair them with waver and emiya, and spam NPs forever.

Marogareh posted:

So does positioning matter at all or can I just shove anyone to the front?

As far as I know positioning means diddly squat.

At least for the front three servants. The back three enter the battle from left to right.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 27, 2017

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MotU posted:

is there a resource on team building? like "hey if you got this unit use these units with these skills to make the most of it" or just like popular team combos or something

there seems to be a lot of units, lots of skills, lots of CEs and its kinda hard for a complete newbie to keep track of what they should be working towards

I'm not really enough at it to make a guide myself, but in general just try to find synergy. Look at the card makeup, the skills, and the NPs. A very simple team makeup might just try to get 3+ servants who all have a lot of one type of cards. So if you have a team with a lot of buster cards, spam buster combos and do a ton of damage every turn. If you have a bunch of arts cards, spam NPs instead of holding them for the last wave. If you have a lot of quick cards, find servants or CEs that attract stars or increase critical damage.

In general though, it's kind of hard to recommend specific teams because everyone probably has a different roster.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

can I have a team of only cuculains

There are four Cus. Normal Lancer Cu, Caster Cu, Cu Alter, and Proto Cu. There are also two versions of Scathach, who is not Cu but taught him and also uses Gae Bolg.

I think the servant with most versions is still Arturia/Saber, who has normal, alter, Santa, lancer, lancer alter, beach archer, mysterious heroine x, and MHX alter versions. She has every class except caster now!

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr Pepper posted:

Not going to spend any Quartz until Mysterious Heroine X is released. :colbert:

No idea when that will be but my guess would be December, maybe? IIRC she originally showed up for the Saber Wars event, which they did right when Episode 7 came out, and conveniently episode 8 is this winter.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Conot posted:

I'm glad Medea is good statwise because I already ascended her

Whats a good use for a 4* who I have no interest in ever using? Burning seems inefficient, but wasn't sure if using them to enhance another servant of the same class was a good idea or wasteful.

You have 3 options for getting rid of a servant. You can burn them for prisms (in the case of a 4 star servant you get 6 mana prisms and 1 rare prism), you can use them to upgrade the same servant's NP, or you can feed them to any servant like an experience card.

In general, my personal rule is that every servant gets 1 copy leveled to max np, and for any extras beyond that, 1-2 star servants get turned into xp (because they give no prisms when burned) and 3+ are burned for prisms.

Honestly though, at this stage of the game I dunno if there are any 4 stars I would just straight up throw out. It's not like the servant bag is that small.

Nate RFB posted:

Mostly want to be on the lookout for upgrades at Saber, Assassin, and Caster because as of now my best in those categories are Altera Lily, Kojiro, and Mozart.

Haven't added anyone from the friend list yet because I was too busy rerolling last night, but I'll do that ASAP later today. I assume I only get Friendship Points if I'm online and therefore my Support Servants are available for people to use?

I'm not certain I understand how AP limits work in terms of how many quests or story segments you are allowed to do in a day. I did a whole bunch last night and didn't seem to notice any limit approaching. But I did notice that on the main Fuyuki page there was a different/separate(?) AP meter under my Master's portrait in the lower left. I'm guessing that number will increment/decrease depending on what I'm throwing into my quests? In other words, if my party setup is 30 AP, that will contribute 30 AP towards my overall limit?

You have an amount of regenerating AP in the lower left. Your max AP increases as your master level goes up. When your master level goes up, it also regenerates you to full, so with careful planning you can play for quite a while.

How much AP a quest cost depends on the quest, and is displayed on the quest tab when you select it. Most early story quests are very cheap. Stuff like the highest level daily costs 40 ap a try and will empty your ap very quickly.

You can refill your AP with apples (or quartz, but don't be a dummy and save it for the gacha). I dunno how prevalent they'll be in the English version, but the JP staff shits them all over. Unless you're really addicted to playing in long spurts instead of a little every day, you'll probably get a stockpile of them at some point.

Tired Moritz posted:

should I feed EMIYA all my exp items?

Those free quests are not worth repeating, right? Why wouldn't the red number disappear

Feed him all your archer xp items, at least. Probably save those from other classes for when you get a servant from them you want to level. The classless XP cards should be either used for oddball classes like Shielder and Ruler or you can just give them to whomever.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

I switch over to the japanese server for a bit and did a random ticket roll and BAM! Got Raikou. This never happens to me.

I got nothing but lovely CEs I'm never going to use

I will murder you

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man after playing on the JP version it's so weird to have the friend list not just be a constant stream of max level 5 star servants.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like Hercules, Chevalier D'eon, and Francis Drake are getting new NP animations.

EDIT:

Sophism posted:

I've used my friend's lvl 40 Jeanne so much as my support that it takes me a moment to realize she isn't really part of the team.

I'm torn between funneling all my All Classes exp. cards into Waver to get him close to that first Ascension (And to get him to do a bit more damage because Christ his damage is bad.) or leveling my Shielder so she can actually hop in when something crits my Hercules into oblivion and do something other than make Waver invulnerable for one turn before getting killed herself.

Is there an easier way to get exp. cards than that one daily mission?

Best way to get xp and level servants is to run the 40 ap daily to get the good xp cards. Second best is selling the 3 star xp cards (or 3 star servants if you somehow have spares of those lying around?) for mana prisms and using them to buy good xp cards.

It takes a lot of AP, but the 4 star xp cards are waaaaay better than the 3 star ones, and 1-2 stars are basically garbage past like level 10.

I would probably try and push Waver to his first ascension to get his second skill- it's +defense for the party and 10% NP for everyone. With the defense maybe your berserker will die less.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 28, 2017

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pureauthor posted:

The Apocrypha tie-in is literally a single CE?

Ha... hahaha

A single lovely CE.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captain Baal posted:

We're getting one gold apple btw for some of the problems on release

Kinda sad they're being stingy. I'm pretty sure I was getting way more quartz in the JP version from extended server maintenance and such than I was from login bonuses or story quests.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mordred is a good girl.

(As well as my ace servant)

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are valid complaints about Berserker Lancelot but minigun NP is cool so I forgive him.

On my JP account I have one party with Mordred, Gilgamesh, and Berserker Lancelot explicitly for Arturia bullying purposes. I wanna get Zero Caster to put on it too.

Freak Futanari posted:

It feels really sad to not be able to chain Rider Morder's NP to clear them in 3 turns, and instead having to actually DO things

I have a team with Nitocris and Saber Shiki and can just Instakill NP all three waves away. It's hard to go back to struggling.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

I found that going generally Buster ->Quick->Arts for card order works very well.

It's kinda right on the edge. IIRC reddit or the wiki or somewhere did the math and arts first usually generates more NP than arts last but only if you can get a brave combo, and even then it depends on class?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

What am I going to do with all these useless 1-2* CE?

Feed them to good CEs from the strengthening menu.

CEs can eat other CEs for xp. If they eat another copy of the same CE, their max level goes up. If they eat four other copies of the same CE, then their effect goes up.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the animation at the start was very bland and samey, but after it started raking in money basically every new servant had unique animations, and they've gradually been going back through and upgrading old servants.

No clue where in the process the English client is. In any event, newer fancier servants will be newer and fancier.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

New Leaf posted:

I saw somewhere that Altria sucks but no explanation as to why. She is my 5 star, and I'm rather fond of her from Stay Night, which is all I've seen of the series. I'm not going to reroll or anything because I have some 5 star equip stuff and I'm into Orleans too, I'm just curious why she isn't better regarded.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Altera/Atilla, who really isn't all that great, and not Altria (aka Saber/Arturia/Artoria/Arthur), who's a pretty solid 5 star?

Wanna punch whoever made these localization decisions btw.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

at launch they didnt think people would be THAT into the story and while orleans still came out decent septem and fuyuki are the two worst written arcs in the game by a mile

Yeah, I've finally been making some real progress through the story on my JP account and things pick up so much better it's astounding. The story's a total slog up through rome and then starts to get good.

Now if only they could find a way to escape the curse of being attacked by mooks and interrupting their conversations every thirty seconds.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 29, 2017

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like people spoilers on the identities of the servants in the new JP event are starting to show up. What's the policy on JP spoilers in here?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I figure Camelot brings the normal version, but when is Lancer Artoria Alter added? Is there an agreed upon shorthand for that character so I don't have to type that out again?

Alter actually comes first. Alter shows up in London, which is part 5 (if you include fubuki), and normal lancer Arturia shows up in Camelot, part 7.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

:getout:

Oh? I didn't know those were gated behind story progression. Good to know

Edit: VVVV That's something I hope happens. If we have to wait 2 years to catch up to current JPN status, that would rather suck horribly.

That's technically just when they show up in the story. Some stuff is kinda gated, in that some servants (including both lancer arturias IIRC) will only be added to the main story gacha after you beat their respective story chapter. That being said, once the event cycle really cranks up you probably won't be rolling the story gacha that often, and if you're aiming for one of them you'll probably wait for a day when they have a rate up on an event gacha or whatnot.

For example, Emiya Alter is gated from the story gacha until one of the most recent parts, but I could get him from an event gacha despite only being in the first half of the story.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Okita is on the list of servants I strongly regret not rolling for when I had the chance. I've only used her as a support, but she does sick amounts of damage and makes so many stars my phone lags.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

Small question, does having card last in the order gain the effects I.E. an NP card last gets more than if picked first?

Yes, cards increase their effect based on their order (so if you choose a quick card for your third card, it will make more stars than if it was second) and gain a bit of the effect of the first card in the chain.

"Increasing Effect" means increasing damage and star gen on buster cards, damage and np gain on arts cards, and damage, np, and stars on quick cards.

In a situation where you are chaining an arts card and two non-arts cards, the question is whether you get more NP from putting the Arts first or Third. If the combo uses multiple servants, you get the most from putting it last, but if it's a Brave Chain using one servant, then you also have the extra attack getting the effect from the first card in the chain.

So should you put arts first or last in a Brave Chain? IIRC, it's really close, to the point it kind of depends on the class of the servant and the exact chain.

Someone on reddit made a spreadsheet comparing np gain for every class and chain combination, but I can't find it right now. I do remember that if you have a Quick, Arts, and Buster card for one servant, most of the time you get more NP going ABQE than you do going QBAE or BQAE.

The wiki page has a page with some more numbers on how place in the order changes effect.

http://fategrandorder.wikia.com/wiki/Command_Cards

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

I wish I had known Stheno was poo poo because when I saw Vlad + 4* and a bunch of 4-5* CEs I just stopped... Should have kept going :v Already spent some $ for account recovery in the future so I'll keep at it but some of your guys' spare rolls make me regret :v

Even bad servants can be useful. I'm on mobile so I don't have it handy, but there's a video out there of someone taking on a male event boss (I think it was Edmund Dantes?) with more than 500k hp using a team of just Stheno, Euryale, and a support Euryale. They charmed/stunned the boss every turn for like 20 turns and killed him without him ever getting to act.

While many people get though tough content by overpowering it with stats, you can do an awful lot with good teamcomp, even with one star servants.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The book the anime is based on came first, so it's more like FGO took the main characters and then kind of largely shoehorned many of them off to the side.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can get over Anderson being a little boy, but no matter how hard I try to accept it the voice just doesn't fit.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Playing through America on my JP account, and I'm weirdly bothered that they have a billion characters who all lived at the same time in the mid-late 19th century, in an old west setting typical of 19th century America, in a conflict that they repeatedly compare to the civil war, and yet they insist that the year is 1783.

And yet, I can't even get properly upset at it because how can you nitpick historical faults when Thomas Edison is a giant lion man in a superman outfit with light-bulb shoulderpads?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kintoki was one of those servants who I passed on at first because I didn't like his art and wasn't familiar with who he was.

Then I used him as a support and realized his buster cards hit like my other servant's NPs. And then I played an event with him in it and found he's an awesome and funny character. Now I want Kintoki.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thing is that Caster Gilles is only ever on the story gacha, so by mostly rolling only on pick up and event gachas I have yet to see him.

Now loving Saber Gilles, I got his NP to level 5 a long time ago.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

Is Asterios good? I can't get any other Berserkers than him.

He's 1 star, so his stats are low, but his skillset is great, and his NP is surprisingly useful against bosses and other difficult fights. He's quite useful, but because he dies easily, consider equipping him with a defensive CE, and plan your back row around the premise that he'll die partway through the battle. Consider pairing him with defensive servants like Mash.

There's a series of videos on niconico a Japanese player did where he clears most of the difficult bosses in the game using pretty much only 1 star servants. In a lot of those it basically came down to covering the party with buffs and the enemy with debuffs, then beating the poo poo out of them with Asterios.

Rare servants have more stats than common servants, but commons are much, much cheaper to level up and ascend, and almost all of them can fill some niche in a party. Plus, it'll be a long time before your master level is high enough to fill your party with 4-5 servants and CEs. Developing a common servant and including them in your team can let you slot in a Kaleidoscope or something that you wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I remember them being scarce when I first started FGO but at some point they started showing up like candy and now I have 200 of the things lying around.

By comparison I think I can count the number of lower ranked copper and silver apples I've seen on one hand.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In JP version news, they're releasing interludes for 8 more servants.

Astolfo (Skill buffed)
Arjuna (Skill buffed)
Cu Alter
Geronimo (NP buffed)
Jeanne Alter
David
Billy the Kid
Li Shuwen

And all other Interlude quests are half AP for a while.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

I can only imagine that the reasons for Jeanne Alter's popularity is due to gameplay reasons and/pror event/interlude segments, because Orleans did very little to endear her for me.

It is admittedly in part due to gameplay. As a servant, Jeanne Alter has one of the most powerful single target NPs in the game. I've seen level 90 Jeanne Alters from my friends list do like 250-300k damage with only self and master buffs. That'll basically one shot bosses until very late in the game.

Her skillset is also solid, and versatile, too. You can pair her with a star generator like Jack and use her as a sweeper, or with an NP tank like Waver and pump out NPs, or just use her cards to fit in on a Buster squad.

And she's a Ruler, who are very rare (2 from limited gachas, 2 locked in the late story, 1 that can only come rarely from the friend point gacha), and 4 out of 5 of them are very useful. Avengers only take extra damage from Berserkers and one special class servant who just came out on the JP version a couple months ago. They also are the only class to do double damage to Rulers, and you will run across a few ruler bosses.

As for her character, she's at her most bland in Orleans when they're trying to make her be serious and do plot.

After she's introduced in an event, she continues to make a lot of appearances in other events and leaves a lasting impression. It helps that the new sprite set she gets as a servant has some of the best faces in the game:

(the two in the lower left especially get a lot of mileage)

Overall, people liked the gimmick of her sneering and insulting you as she reluctantly followed you around, and she wound up getting a lot more depth and funny moments than normal Jeanne ever did, helping develop her character's personality and encourage fanart and stuff. Meanwhile, vanilla Jeanne never developed past being a rather bland goody two shoes, and IIRC she rarely appears after Orleans.

It also helps that she's gotten extra attention recently. One of the most recent story chapters was set in modern day Shinjuku and focused on evil-aligned servants, with Jeanne Alter and Saber Alter getting both major story roles and new outfits.

Solkanar512 posted:

So I've got the bond level of my Herc to level 5, and on the Profile page it says things like, "Bond Level 3 - God Hand Rank: B NP Type: Anti-Personnel, etc". Are these new skills/abilities that are available somewhere or just some sort of background story?

You unlock more parts of a servants profile as you raise a servant's bond to 5. Sometimes it'll be backstory, but often they'll choose an ability or NP or something and give it a description similar to the Fate Stay Night status screens. It's just flavor text, basically. The abilities it describes are usually just the normal passive or active ones. I think Herc's there is specifically one that's in the VN but not reproduced as a playable character because it would be broken as hell. You might see it in the campaign at some point, though.

Endorph posted:

'cause it's always been altria in japanese merch and they didnt care at all about western releases of fate stuff until now. the brass at typemoon weren't even sure what was and wasn't released in english, as shown by

I really wish he went on to ask about Stay Night itself since this interview makes me wonder if he realizes the answer is "no".

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As a longtime owner of Gil on JP, I will tell you that while he is good, he can often seem underwhelming.

Because his attacks hit so many times and so fast, you don't get as much of a sense when he's hitting really hard as you do when another servant does a single buster attack for 12k, for example.

Also, before his NP is strengthened in his second interlude (requiring you to clear London first, two areas after Rome) it honestly kinda hits like a limp noodle. Especially if you're not fighting servants.

SaffronKit posted:

Hello thread, I am here to ask if there is any point to keeping dupes of 4* or 5* servents outside of weird otaku obession? Or just feed any I've got to the version of the card I've developed to buff their NP?

Also blew all the stones I saved up on Gil's gacha, all the 5*s I got were CE. Rip

If you have dupes of a servant you will use, lock one, and feed the rest to the to buff their NP. I don't think there's any point in using and developing more than one copy of the same servant.

Leveling up NPs is good.

If you have enough dupes that you have spares even after leveling to NP5, you should probably burn them in the store. You can get Mana Prisms for 3*, rare prisms for 4*, and (I think) Unregistered Spirit Origins for 5* (but only if you have 5 copies already? I dunno how it works, I've never gotten one)

Mana Prisms are good because every month you can buy a pack of tickets, xp cards, and fou cards, and sometimes an expensive CE.
Rare prisms have even better rewards.
Unregistered Spirit Origins require you to have a bunch of copies of the same 5* servant to get, and then you need a bunch of them to buy another 5* servant. If you have any of them you should honestly put your phone down and think about what you did, because it's a feature intended for the craziest of whales.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 6, 2017