Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Thanks for the big write up, FGO is far more complex than I ever imagined which is probably the price I am paying for intentionally trying to ignore it in the T-M thread for years thinking it would never come out in English. I was thinking of questions to ask as I read but it reached a point where I felt like it'd just be easier to give it a try and see where I fall then and there. For now...

Long story short though, my main concern is how possible it will be to permanently gently caress yourself. Play it for months until you reach a mission that requires a far different loadout than you currently possess, but maybe the nature of the story is such that you can't grind/level up a new roster. Are there always going to be "free missions" that you can run through to bring new or existing Servants up to snuff? I am sure I will figure this out as a play, but as someone who has never bothered with f2p or gatcha I am absolutely banking on my inexperience putting me on some bad paths.

I completely understand how limited events will mean that hey, you better log in to do poo poo during them, but how do main story missions work if I say can't play for a little while? Can I still, kinda sorta, play at my own pace?

Apropos of nothing, I hope I get Medusa and Gilgamesh because they're my favorites from FSN. So I already have something to be disappointed about when I obviously never see either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Baal posted:

I never feel like you can permanently gently caress yourself. I feel like sometimes certain missions might seem insurmountable, but for the most part I think a lot of the content in the game doesn't brick wall you with wanting you to spend more money. Half the reason for the this is with command seal and quartz revives, you can keep slamming your head into the problem until you finish the thing you're having trouble beating. The only things this doesn't apply to is missions where they don't let you revive with quartz or command seals which is mostly challenge missions and raid events. That being said, at some point you might come to fight where you realize your capabilities are very limited and you might need to rely on a really strong support servant to pull you through it. It's really gonna come down to you and how you feel about what's happening at the moment.

As far as story content goes, it never goes away until you finish it so you can play at your own pace if you want yeah. The events are the only things that leave for a while and even then they will rerun them at some point. Also Medusa is a 3* rider class at first and gets two gold variations later on. Gilgamesh is one of the best Archers in the game and is gonna be one of the first limited servants they drop and he has a silver and another gold variation, the latter is also really good.
I mean if you can throw money at the game (which is obviously in their best interest) to force yourself past an obstacle, then that's "OK" as an alternative. I was thinking of a situation where, yeah I could eventually roll for some 4* or 5*, but they'd start at a low level and would really need some battles to get to where they need to be, but welp there are no means to buff/grind them up because you have to do the story right then and there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What's the benefit of setting it up? Can servants/cards be gifted to people? Do we have a list on what's available to roll, at any rate? I figured some of that was gated by story events.

Also pertinent, probably: how long is the prologue, exactly? For those that feel like going through it a couple of times to reroll.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So basically something of use for the initial prologue roll, but not much else (unless someone wants to trade/sell their account later on for whatever reason)? Presumably other things like MC gender would get carried over too, right?

Also what was the story with the "free?" Saber Lily people are apparently going to have access to? Would that come out of the prologue too?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also how do we know what "Servants/CEs [we're] looking for" if this is the first time playing the game? I mean I've looked at the list on the t-m wiki every now and then but for all I know only some of them could event/story-limited. I mean it's a rhetorical question because there are obviously going to be a lot of experienced players chiming in (and thank you all for that) who know the ins and outs of this system, but from an outsider's perspective the idea of trading accounts at the start to ensure a good initial batch only makes sense if the pool is naturally limited at that juncture.

Nyaa posted:

The 4* for that is only limited to a pool of few chosen servants, but they are pretty/very good.
Is that this?

Captain Baal posted:

You are guaranteed 1 of 10 4* star servants from your first roll in the prologue though and Endorph wrote up a post on which ones are worth looking into.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wound up getting a cheap tablet that met the specs (2 GB of RAM) from that one reddit link, which I found palatable in the sense that I kind of wanted a tablet anyway.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh so the free 4* isn't live yet? In theory would this be something that if it were available would be given to you right out of the gate in the middle of this rerolling madness? I wonder if players who come in during that window and reroll a bunch would therefore have a leg up since they'd get an additional chance to grab a 4* in the same window.

Since this came out at Midnight on the east coast I won't be able to anything for ages :goleft:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Trihugger posted:

I'm not sure I follow the logic. It's two guaranteed 4* regardless if you start now or later.
Are players not going to get a free 4* on top of the two initial 10-rolls in the tutorial? That's what I thought people had just been saying in this thread, and that that free 4* was not live yet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

NRVNQSR posted:

Yes, but you'll still get that 4* even if you start now and since it's a servant of your choice it won't affect your reroll decisions.
Oh OK, it was the "of your choice" part of that conversation that I was not aware of yet. I imagine that 99% of my confusion will be solved by just playing the drat thing and figuring it out as I go, at any rate.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Working off of the available 1-4* ratings in the OP, and the list Endorph posted earlier, is there a rundown on these fellows since AFAIK they are also going to show up in these tutorial rerolls?

Medusa (Rider)
Boudica (Rider) **
Ushiwakamaru (Rider)
Alexander (Rider)
Medea (Caster)
Gilles de Rais (Caster) *
Mephistopheles (Caster)
Cu Chulainn (Caster) **
Jing Ke (Assassin)
Lu Bu (Berserker)
Darius III (Berserker)
Kiyohime (Berserker) **

Artoria [Alter] (Saber) *
Nero (Saber) *
Atalanta (Archer)
Lancelot (Berserker)

I assume it's not worth worrying about the **, since according to the Endorph post those are automatically given to you.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Endorph posted:

Medusa: decent aoe rider, has a stun but otherwise nothing special. 6.5/10
Boudica: She's very survivable and her NP is a very strong defense boost but she's kind of invalidated by Shielder existing and being free. 5.5/10
Ushiwakamaru: She has an insanely strong single target NP for a 3*, and tengu tactics is a decent buff, but she's very stock outside of that. 7.5/10
Alexander: Decent AOE rider, has a quick boost but otherwise nothing special 6.5/10
Medea: Has a single target NP and the gimmick of using it over and over and over again. The NP's barely stronger than a normal attack but she's still the best freebie caster for killing assassin bosses. 8/10
Gilles (Caster): sucks. his skills are all mostly worthless, his NP does no damage. 2/10
Cu (Caster): He has Cu's protection from arrows but he otherwise does no damage. 4/10
Jing Ke: Strictly inferior to Kojirou and Cursed Arm Hassan. 4/10
Lu Bu: He's good. He has a single target NP and is a berserker so he does a good amount of damage. Just think of him as ghetto Hercules. 7/10
Darius: Meh. He's a berserker with an AOE NP so hes' good for waveclear but I mostly prefer... 6/10
Kiyohime: She's great at waveclear - has a targeted defense debuff, a buster buff, a strong aoe NP, and surprisingly high NP gain so she can use it more often than other aoe Berserkers. Main issue is that her normal attacks aren't as strong as other berserkers. 8/10

Artoria Alter: Probably the second best servant in the game at launch. She does extremely high damage and has a decent skillset, minus instinct. 9/10
Nero: She's okay. Thrice-setting sun and two-self heals makes her very survivable but her self-buff having a failure chance sucks. Her NP does decent damage though. She's almost like a 4* saber version of Cu but sadly her NP doesn't have an-insta kill chance and she doesn't have a dodge. 7/10
Atalanta: Mediocre. She has an aoe quick buff, which is strong, but she lacks anything else that makes her standout. 5.5/10
Lancelot (Berserker): Very good, but he needs a team that can generate crit stars, since all his skills are built around using them and he barely generates them himself outside of his NP. 8/10
Thanks a bunch.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So Waver is obtainable at launch as well? Is there a reason he was not in that initial list? Not that it probably matters because even I know he's a keeper, I'm just trying to collect all the gacha Servants with Keep/Reroll/Shrug notes in a spreadsheet.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think I'm good for now, yeah.

Along with a Heaven's Feel CE.

The best other one I got was a Cu Lancer & Emiya, if anyone is interested.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 27, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

Merge those Robin right now!
I did! It used up most of my QP! But I did!

It figures that Jeanne would cost so much that you can't actually use her out of the gate.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is there any reason to not just use up Friendship Points all at once, I would imagine that there wouldn't be a whole lot of rate ups in that summoning pool worth saving them for.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is it even worth enhancing 1* CEs like Tenacity? Or should I just burn them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I rerolled maybe 6-7 times before I hit Jeanne. I might've done more if I wasn't stupid and hadn't noticed that I had been gifted those quartz several quests in (I didn't start my rerollin' until Cu Caster showed up).

Next dumb question is, how do I access the Daily Quests? It says I can get some Quartz fragments if I do 5 of them. Just another thing that's not up yet or I am missing an option in this crazy maze of menus.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mostly want to be on the lookout for upgrades at Saber, Assassin, and Caster because as of now my best in those categories are Artoria Lily, Kojiro, and Mozart.

Haven't added anyone from the friend list yet because I was too busy rerolling last night, but I'll do that ASAP later today. I assume I only get Friendship Points if I'm online and therefore my Support Servants are available for people to use?

I'm not certain I understand how AP limits work in terms of how many quests or story segments you are allowed to do in a day. I did a whole bunch last night and didn't seem to notice any limit approaching. But I did notice that on the main Fuyuki page there was a different/separate(?) AP meter under my Master's portrait in the lower left. I'm guessing that number will increment/decrease depending on what I'm throwing into my quests? In other words, if my party setup is 30 AP, that will contribute 30 AP towards my overall limit?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 27, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

NRVNQSR posted:

No, party composition is unrelated to AP. AP is just energy; it goes down by a fixed amount when you attempt a mission. If it's below max it goes up by one point every five minutes.

However, when you gain a master level you gain AP equal to your max AP, and that can take you over your max. So in the early game when you're gaining master levels frequently you can basically play continually.
Oh right, I can see in an OP image now that that party limit is just a generic "Party Cost", dunno why I thought that was AP related.

Is there a list anywhere of the known rate ups, from the JP version I suppose? Since my pull after the rerolls was decent, while I'd like say a Medea I dunno if it'd be worth sitting around and just start hoarding quartz for those rate ups.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

NRVNQSR posted:

Reddit has been pointing people at this list, which I assume is an accurate record of when the JP version got stuff.

edit: Even if they only keep the same approximate event schedule and not exactly the same rate ups Medea should still be in the second event. Which is good because I need her too.
Thanks, the 3M and FSN campaigns would rate up basically every servant I'd kind of want at this point outside of Artoria Alter so I'll sit on any quartz for those.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Arturia/Artoria/Altria/Altera has been really confusing and hard to keep track of, but it's only the last one that is not part of that set right? Which weirdly is actually Atilla the Hun.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh yeah this is a silly thing, but how do you change the battle speed? I mean I know you can do it because they allow you to do so during one of the Fuyuki battles, but every time I've looked for it afterwards it hasn't been there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Pureauthor posted:

Hit Attack button, while choosing cards the battle speed switch should be there.
I know what you mean because during that tutorial it pops up when you go to pick your cards, but I'm 99% sure it's not there for me afterwards. Maybe I need to finish Fuyuki?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm still futzing around Fuyuki. I haven't run out of AP yet but I haven't leveled up in a while so I bet I'm going to hit that limit soon. The Friendship gacha also yielded me my Medea and a Hassan so I'm now able to field an almost complete FSN lineup, minus Altria and EMIYA, and Gil obviously.

Conot posted:

For those not aware, theres a button in your party setup screen called "Line Up"

The main benefit of using this is that you can choose whether the support is fielded with your initial three, like so

So if your friends are all fielding lvl 1 Mashu, you don't have to take her along.
I was going mention at some point that people really need to start actually setting up their support lineup, so many friends' lists are just Mash alone. Though I could have sworn I set it up on day 1, but then had to do it all over again yesterday. Does Support Setup reset every day or something?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Do you get FP both when you use someone else's support and when they use yours?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes, I've been drowning in FP thanks to my Waver.
Do you need to be logged in to get them or will you just receive a dump when you log back in? Been thinking about just leaving my tablet plugged in 24/7 if that's the case.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tired Moritz posted:

so who are the people with Jeannes?
I have her!!

The friend list on the second post of the thread should list a bunch more too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I limit broke (or whatever the term is) a bunch of 1/2* CEs since I had a glut of them, and then once I had a given type at max I threw the rest into leveling up better CEs. I have no idea if this is the optimal way to do this but all those components seemed so common I can't imagine it's that much of an issue.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So to summarize some of this (since I definitely want to start leveling up at least my Jeanne and Herc so that people start using them as supports)...

-Sell 3* XP cards or spare 3* Servants for Mana Prisms for the purpose of getting 4* XP
-Do the 40 AP daily if you are able to, which I guess means doing absolutely nothing else that day unless you have some apples or a high level Master

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Perhaps to put it all another way, sell any spare 3* cards of any sort for mana prisms for the purposes of getting summoning tickets?

And eventually (once all your Servants are above level 10 or so) just sell off spare 1* or 2* XP cards.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder if it's worth hoarding the tickets for rateups or whether most players just do that with quartz.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As someone who was not only completely new to the game but new to the very concept of a F2P gacha experience of any kind, the 1*-4* ratings in the second post of this thread has been by far the biggest asset. I have no idea how I in my naivety would have ever been able to figure that out on my own.

Aaaaaand hit my first AP limit so I guess I'll just twiddle my thumbs for a while.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still feel pretty obligated to use Silver XP on leveling up, I've only just hit 20 on a few dudes and it seems way more important to get everyone up to an ascension level ASAP than worry about hoarding prisms. Bronze though have almost instantly become worthless, obviously.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My first week blunders that I really wish I had done better:

-Didn't realize I could roll my "own" 10 so soon, so I wasted a couple of hours going through the Prologue when I should've been rerolling.
-I admittedly had a Level 1 Mash support party for at least a day or two
-The dailies you want to do are the EMBER or red dailies, not anything else. Definitely wasted a bit of time yesterday with a few "oh these are 30 AP, I should do them!" and then got disappointed when all I got was QP at the end

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My current, tentative plan is to alternate between 30AP and Orleans (there are no more singularities available after that for now, right?) until I'm ready to ascend some of my 4/4/5* dudes, then grind the 30AP and hopefully 40AP eventually for prisms.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"Altria" would not be so bad if it wasn't so so similar to "Altera"; I really wish they had stuck with either Artoria/Arturia and/or Atilla.

Related but I am desperate for the first rateup for Altria Alter, Saber is easily my biggest weakness at the moment.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Actually if Altria Alter's rateup is not going to be for 6 months maybe I should just bite the bullet and roll now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I am down with a tacit thread understanding that everyone just go with Arturia/Artoria.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Between the mediocre anime of Fuyuki and having redo the Prologue a bunch for rerolls I've grown to intensely dislike the story for the first singularity, but I kind of knew it was kind of eh to begin with so that wasn't surprising. Just treated it as a Quartz/FP farm (from Cu Caster).

E: So I know from this that Nero is added to the summoning pool after Septem, but what is the difference between her and say Mordred who is not a Limited Servant but also seemingly not unlocked by clearing something later? Is it a case that the summoning pool simply gets updated passively for all players and all of a sudden players will start getting Mordred in rolls regardless of where they are in the story?

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh, I know this one, now! The answer is "Summoning Tickets"!