Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Just confirming my participation again. TIME TO MAKE SOME PISS POOR SELECTIONS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

There probably will be by the time we start.

I just want an EHM port for Mac dammit

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Can we get a few more people so we can get this going? I need something to fill the long, hockeyless summer.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sorry the doc isn't loading on my phone but I'll take Leon Draisaitl and whatever contract he ends up with.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Plus goalies age better than other positions.

What's that up in the sky? THE THINKTANK SYMBOL?!

As a general rule, they peak and age at almost exactly the same rate as forwards. Outside of rare examples like Hasek, Luongo and Brodeur, goalies start their decline at 30 and are noticeably well below their peak by 34-35 like any other athlete. A decline for someone like Price who's so far above his peers will mean he won't fall as hard, but it's unlikely he'll be a .925+ goaltender for more than another few years. For every Tim Thomas winning the Vezina at 36, there's a Kiprusoff retiring at 35.

:goonsay:

https://hockey-graphs.com/2014/03/21/how-well-do-goalies-age-a-look-at-a-goalie-aging-curve/

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

the owner of the strangest development curve I've ever seen

No, that's definitely Tim Thomas.

Age 20: Decent College goaltender
Age 26: Not good enough to be a starter in the IHL
Age 28: Can't get a 3rd string job in the NHL
Age 30: European league star
Age 33: NHL starter for the first time
Age 34: First team NHL Allstar
Age 35: Loses starting job to 21 year old backup
Age 36: Regains starting job, posts the highest single season Sv% ever, wins Vezina, Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup
Age 38: Skips an entire season because Obama got re-elected
Age 39: Poor quality backup
Age 40: Retired

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

yeah Tim Thomas literally went:
Vezina
lost his job to the backup
Vezina, Stanley Cup, Conn Smythe

I'd forgotten he won a Vezina in his 2nd season too

corn on the cop posted:

i genuinely forgot about that rear end in a top hat

I wish I could say the same.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Taylor "Once #2" Hall

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

I have a theory, and probably not a very good one, but I think that the longer a player is in the league, the more his prospect shine starts to wear off. So, you have a dude like Forsberg who is in his third year, and he has pretty much cemented himself as a 30-goal/60-point guy at 22, which is an amazing place to be, yet people are looking to guys who are still close to being prospects and wondering "oh boy, I hope this guy turns into someone like Forsberg."

I haven't fully fleshed it out.

I see it as more he's cemented himself as a 60pt guy and isn't likely to move up from there dramatically. With a guy who puts up 60 at 20, you can hope his career trajectory continues up and he'll be an 80pt guy at 22 or 23. With Forsberg you have someone who's been consistently at that point for a few years now and a breakout to that upper echelon of scorers is looking a lot less likely. Nothing wrong with Forsberg as a player, but he's a 2nd tier first line centre.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

Letang was my second choice after Lindholm but something about neck injuries and over the age of 30 has me legit concerned

Ditto, I thought long and hard about Letang when I took Hall but given his injury history and the law of diminishing returns I just couldn't justify it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm around so I'll take Ryan Suter now that Jamwad is skipped.

Technetium is up.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Andrei Vasilevskiy

Jamwad, you're up.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Next year he probably goes in the second round. It's fine taking a #1, even in a bad year, over guys who are comparable to Prororov, El Niņo, and Richard Rakell.

Even Yak put up .65 PPG in his rookie year. It's pretty much a given that Hischier won't set the world on fire like McDavid or Matthews, but he should at least be a decent top six level producer. at $900k that's quite valuable.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

The entire draft is meaningless. It's not necessarily about building the team that scores the most next season. Beyond just gimmick teams (like what I assumed ThinkTank was doing until his last pick) there are also just different philosophies around how you build your team. I'd be surprised if Hischier made it back around, so if you want that #1 pick you've kinda got to take him now.

How was mine going to be a gimmick team? I took Drai and Hall who were Oilers, but then Suter.

I'm not creative or dedicated enough to come up with and follow through on any sort of gimmick.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kilza posted:

Have you ever heard of the expression "offense wins games, defense wins championships"?

The Pens defence this year was essentially Justin Schultz and a collection of cleverly disguised windsocks.

You are uh... Going to have a lot of trouble scoring.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

corn on the cop posted:

big fan of the nashville 08-14 model

Only one player in Predators history has managed more than 75 points in a season, Paul Kariya.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm gonna have the most overpaid defence in the world. Give me Shea Weber!

Get that old Nashville crew back together.

Technetium and Jordan7hm you're up

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 20, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Horvat's fancies suck too but hopefully that's just a product of being on the Canucks and his offensive stats have gone up each year he's been in the league which is promising

He is quick as all hell and terrible defensively. He can't really pass either, he can just shoot and toe drag. He's a very unique player and our beautiful boy.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Evander Kane

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Sam Bennett and pray last year was just a sophomore slump.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Lucic doesn't play with McDavid. They tried that a bunch but it really, really doesn't work. Unsurprisingly, the slowest dude in the league doesn't pair well with the fastest.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Yet somehow it worked with Maroon

I was gonna add that but he hasn't been taken, so I opted not to mention him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

Anyway, I'll take a flyer on Kyle Okposo. He's had injury and illness issues lately, but if he's healthy I can rely on him for 20g/50p at a minimum.

Okposo seems like such a risk. He was in the ICU a few months back, you don't end up there on a whim. His concussion issues were severe enough that he required full time hospital care, that's not something you bounce back from easily. I find it hard to believe he'll play next year, let alone be a meaningful contributor. He claims to be healthy, but I'll believe it when I see it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Habibi posted:

This is all true, but recent reports suggest that, in the spirit of Monty Python, he's feeling much better. I'm not too worried. Probably because I'm not Kyle Okposo.

Knowing what we know now about concussions and CTE, no self-respecting physician bound by the Hippocratic oath and AMA code of ethics would clear a man for physical contact in a professional sports league six months after they were in critical care for head trauma.

But this is the NHL so he'll be playing 22 minutes a night come October 10th.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Josh Anderson

Jamwad you're up

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'll be taking noted shithead Boone Jenner.

loving Christ. I was so hoping he'd fall to me. I meant to take Jenner when I took Anderson but somehow got them mixed up in my head. :mad:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

For my actual pick I'll take Sam Gagner and hope he can put up another few 40 point seasons.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Team autopick is going to beat all of us.

They're our Team Europe from the World Cup.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Gimme dat Jannik Hansen

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Ben Hutton because he's better than what he showed last year

That means my team is currently

Taylor Hall- Leon Draisaitl- Josh Anderson
Evander Kane - Sam Bennett - Jannik Hansen
XXX - Sam Gagner - XXX

Ben Hutton - Shea Webber
Ryan Suter - XXX
XXX - XXX

Andrei Vasilevskiy
XXX

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 31, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah, I love Hamhuis but he's fallen a long way. He was far from good with the Stars last year. I think his back has finally given out after Lucic squashed him back in 2011.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take my personal favourite "he'll figure it out this year I swear you guys!" player in Sven Baertschi

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't give a poo poo about defense

I am just going to let Weber and Suter play 28 minutes each. My bottom pairing will be selected entirely for their ability to effectively open the doors at either end of the bench.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Michael Stone to round out my top 4.

Taylor Hall- Leon Draisaitl- Josh Anderson
Evander Kane - Sam Bennett - Jannik Hansen
Sven Baertschi - Sam Gagner - XXX

Ben Hutton - Shea Webber
Ryan Suter - Michael Stone
XXX - XXX

Andrei Vasilevskiy
XXX

Look at my works ye mighty and laugh

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Aug 3, 2017

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Oh god drat you for taking Devin Shore Kilza. :mad:

Okay uhh... I'll take Lawson Crouse

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sorry up at the cottage for the weekend and forgot to send someone my picks. I'll take Marcus Foligno

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

Somebody please sign Franson to a league-minimum deal TIA.

You'll have to try harder than that to get another NHL contract Cody.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Christian Fischer

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Andrew Ladd because hey why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Laderhan posted:

He was litterally just taken 5 posts before yours.

Whoops sorry he wasn't in the spreadsheet yet. I'll take Dmitri Kulikov then.

• Locked thread