Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Dang. I wanted Vegas.

Gimme the Jets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The Jets (and by extension picks 13 and 50 & onwards) would like to swap spots with somebody near the end of the first round, if they're interested.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

stab posted:

Holy poo poo i could not be further from the top pick

Edit: makes sense, i was the simulation Stanley Cup champion :smug:

You could have the 13th pick instead!

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

JoelJoel posted:

I'm down. I sleep all day and would love some space between my picks. 24th work for you?

Kilza's already offering 25th, so unless somebody between 26 and 31 steps forward, I'll probably go with that.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

FBS posted:

Laine > Ovechkin

you heard it here first folks

Last season was the first time Ovie looked old and I'm not surprised to see people like Laine go before him.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
OVI TRICE. REAL NAME, NO GIMMICKS.

Last year was the first time Ovechkin hasn't looked fantastic in the NHL, but there's no denying how insane it is we considered 33 goals and 69 points in today's NHL a down year.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Malkin was my second choice after Ovechkin. I was really hoping people were sleeping and he'd slip to my second rounder.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Verviticus posted:

gonna take patrice bergeron and just set myself for life down the middle. similar contract to backstrom too!

Bergeron and Backstrom were my 1 & 2 choices and I could kill you right now.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'm awake. Gimme Joe Pavelski.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Jordan7hm posted:

It's maybe a tiny bit early for him, but Ginette has two picks before I go again and took him in the fourth round last year. I'm taking Matt Murray.

aw crud

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
GImme Jake Muzzin. He has some of the better fancy numbers in the league and there's an argument to be made that he's the driving force in the Doughty/Muzzin pairing.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'll take Morgan Rielly. It was between him and Slavin as the young d-man that I wanted for this pick and Verviticus taking Slavin made this choice a lot easier.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I was hoping to not too many repeats from last years draft but the run on goalies earlier leaves me no choice but to draft Jake Allen

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Habibi and eXXon can both pick right now

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
It might be too early for prospects but I'm extremely high on the greatest Clayton K. in professional sports, Clayton Keller.

Dude scored 1.45 points a game in the NCAA as an 18 year old. Those numbers are better than what Gaudreau did.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

JoelJoel posted:

Considering you don't have 3 NHL forwards yet, it might be a bit early to be grabbing 18-year-olds.

I drafted Keller like I'm drafting for a franchise and not a single season sim. If he's not the best forward prospect right now he's in the top 3 and he's my pick to win the Calder next season.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Guentzel was who I was thinking before I decided it was the time for Keller. Guentzel has super impressive numbers but his shooting % was very high. 19% in the regular season and like, 25% in the playoffs.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I'll take Vadim Shipachyov

I was really hoping people forgot he existed and I could snag him in the 9th

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I was told I'm up so gimme Tomas Hertl

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

ThinkTank posted:

Okposo seems like such a risk. He was in the ICU a few months back, you don't end up there on a whim. His concussion issues were severe enough that he required full time hospital care, that's not something you bounce back from easily. I find it hard to believe he'll play next year, let alone be a meaningful contributor. He claims to be healthy, but I'll believe it when I see it.

An article came out yesterday saying he's healthy and has been playing in a summer league, so we'll see.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I feel like we might be overvaluing youth and budget a bit much in this draft.

Proof of which is I just got Joe Thornton, still an extremely good player, in the 8th round.

Ovechkin - Thornton - Pavelski
? - Hertl - ?
? - Keller - ?

Rielly - Muzzin

Allen

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
pfff that guy sucks he didn't even get protected in the expansion draft

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'll take MY CLIENT

BROCK

BOESER

I have a fair amount of forwards already but as a Canucks fan I am obscenely biased and part of what influenced this pick is that Verviticus, another Canucks fan, has two picks between this one and my next pick.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
All the cheap young solid defensemen are going so I'm gonna jump in on this and take Derrick Pouliot

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Thufir posted:

I've already spent almost $50m and I forgot that that doesn't even include Johansen but it seems like the Preds are about to announce his contract so I get to find out exactly how capfucked I am.

the answer is extremely

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I had Stecher on my list and I was hoping the Canucks factor would let him slip another few rounds. I was looking to jump on him maybe when it came back to me in the 14th. Still a decent pick here.

The bottom half of the draft has three Canucks fans and if I wasn't taking him, I doubt Verviticus or ThinkTank would have let him slip much further.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

corn on the cop posted:

Yaya selects everyone's favorite journeyman defenseman, David Schlemko.

Lazerwolf up, followed by Habibi and eXXon.

I can confirm I told corncop to draft for me right away if I wasn't there, Schlemko is pretty good and I can't believe Vegas gave him away for essentially peanuts

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Winnipeg takes Dan Hamhuis

He's old and not the first pairing defender he used to be but he's still perfectly acceptable on a second pairing.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
People are yelling at me on Discord that I'm up so I'll take Patrick Sharp. Kinda old and was injured last season but I think he can still play and for 800k, it's a gamble I'm willing to take.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I almost took Babcock with my last pick and I feel like there is a very low amount of coaches in the NHL who make an actual positive difference. Since there's a large amount of time between this pick and my next one, the run on coaches could happen whenever so I'll nab Barry Trotz now

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

JoelJoel posted:

I really thought picking babclock would ignite a run on coaches. Turns out beagle is more valuable.

I thought so too. It's why I took Trotz so I could get a positive effect coach while I still could.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

T-Bone posted:

just in your mind when you see Kyle Connor think "ehlers but better" and the glory will be bestowed upon you

I value college stats a lot when picking prospects (see: Keller and Boeser picks) and I definitely wanted Connor badly.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Jordan7hm posted:

Sorry guys. Vacationing.

Didn't research my picks so instead of the forwards I need I'm gonna take Jon Gillies as my backup.

Anyone know of a coach who's under 24?

How are you hitting the cap floor anyways

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Gimme Benoit "Balls" Pouliot

Everything that could have gone wrong for him last season did. My first line is worth 22m+ by itself which has lead me to be a little cheap on my other players. Since SOMEBODY keeps taking all the ELCs I've been left to gamble on old guys hoping they can have bounce-back seasons.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'm apparently up according to Kilza and Corncop so I'll take Olli Juolevi

With all the young defensemen going, I'm shocked he fell under the radar, he's only one season removed from being a 5th overall pick. Part of that might be "lol canucks" but he's a legit defense prospect and should be on the Canucks next season.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Gimme Ilya Samsonov. He's not leaving the KHL until after this season and doesn't have a contract but if I was building a franchise I would 110% want the rights to him.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'll take Alex Burrows

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'll take Matt Stajan as my 4th line centre

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Riley Nash