Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'll take the Blues again because some dickheads keep taking my first two picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ok cool when's the draft lottery/expansion draft/entry draft?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My list is McDavid, Matthews, Crosby, Malkin, please select for me all rounds thanks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lazerwolf makes hipster picks all the time.

Habibi hurry up and don't pick thanks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I sent my list to whoever corn on the cop's username used to be so that I can go to bed now, bye.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

corn on the cop posted:

exxon left me three guys for his last pick. one is still available but im gonna sit on it since that was last round and im not sure if he wants to build that way or go another route.

Thanks buddy. I am going to think about it briefly as I awaken much too early on a Saturday morning for fake hockey drafting.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 15, 2017

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm going to take Oliver Ekman-Larsson in the hopes that he will rebound next season with the Coyotes possibly being slightly less poo poo and maybe playing with Hjalmarsson or something.

Also I took Evgeni Malkin in the first round because I think there's an outside chance that he might continue to be a top 30 player in the NHL over the next few years.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm going to take Jonathan Huberdeau because notwithstanding his injury-plagued season, he scores at an impressive rate and is signed to a reasonable contract and I haven't picked him in a previous draft.

Habibi posted:

Ah, gently caress, I dunno. Give me Logan Couture.

I was going to take him what with the 30 playoff points a year ago but funny enough that only got him up to #83 overall last year.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Who can I send my list to now since Verviticus is unlikely to make up his mind anytime soon?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

John Carlson had a less than spectacular season but should be a good partner for OEL and his booming clapper.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Good morning!

I'm going to reach slightly and take Andre Burakovsky. He hasn't cracked 40 points yet, but he had the 9th most TOI/GP of forwards on the Caps last season and still managed 35P in 64 GP, plus 6 in 13 in the playoffs. He's signed to a reasonable 3Mx2 year bridge contract and since the Caps lost a bunch of forwards he's due for a breakout season next year. Plus, I might actually be near the cap this time.

That leaves me with:

Huberdeau-Malkin
Burakovsky-Duchene

OEL-Carlson

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I wanted Manson and Silfverberg and did not expect them to last.

I also forgot about the existence of Shipachyov and wondered why someone would pick Josh Ho-Sang in the 7th round.

e: Jordan7hm you know it's okay to pick players over 24 right?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It is interesting to note that certain defensemen traded for prominent wingers in the last two offseasons are still available.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why do we need another 2 hours after 10 AM when there's already a 12 hour break? Send lists if you're in PST.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

He's a dirty shithead and kind of trending downwards but on the other hand he scored 40 with Malkin not that long ago so come on down, James Neal. Plus, it lets Hornqvist slide down to the 2nd line and marks the first year Neal has been picked after Hornqvist, I think.

Huberdeau-Malkin-Neal
Burakovsky-Duchene-Hornqvist

OEL-Carlson

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I like HERO charts sometimes:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I choose Jeremy Jacobs as my team owner and Damien Cox as beat writer.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 27, 2017

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm going to have to go with Spartacat and hope he rebounds after a disappointing year given his contract.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Although having to select a goalie this early is physically painful, I have to compromise and pick James Reimer, who is more or less adequate.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

David Savard is an okay #3 defenseman who shoots right and there aren't too many of those left, so I'm choosing him no matter if it puts me over $50M already.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

T-Bone posted:

I'll be in the mountains for the better part of the next couple of days. Anyone I can send my picks to?

I'll be here when you're all sleeping.

Connor Brown is a great pick and I'm surprised he lasted this long.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I hope you rot in cap hell exxon

<3

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Also I really enjoy stab's baffling collection of RD:

Ristolainen
Larsson
Seabrook
Myers

????

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jake McCabe is an adequate #4 defenseman whose assets include being young and cheap.

Also I picked Cizikas earlier because he scored a remarkable amount of points considering his godawful linemates and is excellent defensively, plus he's got the kind of killer instinct you can't teach.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Here's my team:

Huberdeau-Malkin-Neal
- Cizikas -

OEL-Carlson
McCabe-Savard

Reimer

cup now plz

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Habibi posted:

Bah, stupid google sheets. Looks like he WAS picked. Hmm. Back to the drawing board.

Take your time man no rush.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I assume we're skipping Verviticus and Habibi again?

Anyway, I don't know if he's any good since I can't be bothered to pay attention to the Islanders of all teams, but Anthony Beauvillier supposedly had a good rookie season and has heart/hustle/grit/etc. while playing all forward positions so he should be good in a bottom 6 role, assuming he doesn't start the season in Bridgeport for some reason.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lazerwolf posted:

Let's kick this off.

Minnesota Wild select Travis Sanheim

I kept almost picking him three rounds in a row but held off. Oh well.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It makes lots of sense that Beagle was taken before Eller.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Give me player/coach Mark Messier

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Somebody please sign Franson to a league-minimum deal TIA.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

T-Bone posted:

Hmmm another Sharks guy: Tim Heed killed it in the AHL last year and has been good in Sweden for a while. I'll go with him because I hate all the RD left and he appears to have talent.

Stralman-Letang
Hjalmarsson-Honka

Why do you need more RD when you're playing Stralman on the wrong side?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I believe I have the cap space to pick up Marc Methot who I've considered taking for 6 rounds now so I'll do that.

I don't even remember if I had anyone else left on my list so I'll make another pick shortly.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Cale Makar was the fourth overall pick somehow and is a defence mans prospect who shoots right so that's more than good enough for me.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lineup:

Huberdeau-Malkin-Neal
Beauvillier-Cizikas-Kapanen
Leivo-Lewis-??

OEL-Carlson
Methot-Savard
McCabe-Franson

Dunn-Makar

Reimer
C. Johnson

Coach: Todd McLellan

I think it's a good team that just needs another RW and it's good to go. Some notes on picks I made thanks to corn on the cop a feel:

Kasperi Kapanen is fast as gently caress and scored playoff goals playing with Matt Martin. That's remarkable. He might not make the Leafs next season because they're deep on the wings but will certainly be a good NHLer, especially if JVR get traded. Can play both wings.
Josh Leivo is mostly in the same camp. He's older and mostly a LW. He's not particularly fast but hard working and has a good shot with no real weaknesses. Should be playing in the NHL full time but is blocked by... Matt Martin.
Trevor Lewis is a bottom 6 grinder who is pretty good at what he does and old.
Vince Dunn was a late 2nd round pick who put up 45 points in 72 games in the AHL as a 20 year-old rookie and is probably the Blues' top prospect.
Cody Franson is slow as gently caress and unsigned but can score 20-odd points without PP time and has decent possession stats, so he's a good bottom-pairing D and should get signed soon.
Chad Johnson is a backup goalie.
Cale Makar, who knows? He shoots right, is fast and talented and dominated junior B, whatever that's worth. Kyle Turris turned out fine so maybe he will too.
Mark Methot is an NHL defenseman who is declining and can't score, but he's mostly a stopgap until Dunn is ready so whatever.

Todd McLellan is a good coach and can presumably do something with this roster.

Any more questions?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I was going to take him over Liljegren but I thought that Liljegren's ceiling was just a bit higher even if it's probably further off

I'm not clear on why you took Liljegren early ahead of like ten guys who were drafted before he was, although I hope you're right for the Leafs' sake.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Luke Kunin and Thatcher Demko

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Do you guys think my team sucks or is it cool

Fowler-McAvoy
Chara-Emelin
Zadorov-Hunwick
Folin

Uhhh your forwards are decent but that shambling D corps isn't going to win awards, especially if Zadorov fucks off to the KHL. Also you only have two right handers.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

In 2-3 years MacArthur Pominville and Jokinen will all be dead (if not sooner) so I'm not seeing who's supposed to score the goals there. Good D for winning 2-1 games in the interim though.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Huberdeau-Malkin-Neal
Beauvillier-Cizikas-Kapanen
Leivo-Lewis-Kunin

OEL-Carlson
Methot-Savard
McCabe-Franson
Dunn-Makar

Reimer
C. Johnson
Demko

Coach: Todd McLellan

I went youth-heavy towards the end of the draft but I wanted some cap space left over so I can trade a prospect for vet or two at the deadline and win a cup, which is exactly what this team would do.

The top 6 forwards and D will score a lot if healthy. I gave the youngsters in the bottom 6 quality two-way vet centers to play with. Beauvillier, Kapanen and Leivo may not get a lot of playing time this season thanks to roster crunches but they're all ready for NHL roles. Kunin I know next to nothing about but his coaches talk about him as if he's a savvy intangible-filled leader so he can probably fill in the least important role on the team.

Methot isn't a great #4 but he should be serviceable with Savard. McCabe and Franson would score plenty on a third pair. Dunn might get NHL time right away after his monster rookie season in the AHL but Makar probably needs another season in junior at least; both have top-pairing potential.

Reimer is an okay starter given a moderate workload and probably the weakest link, but he usually puts up league-average numbers. gently caress goalies anyway. T-Mac is a good coach and has at least as much to work with here as he will with the Oilers. Bring it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I love defending my Sabres and ex Sabres to an unjustifiable extent, but man that McCabe-Franson pair would scare me

They played fine together. If there's anything to worry about, it's McCabe away from Franson, but it appears most of that was getting absolutely buried alongside Rasmus Ristolainen, who appears to have an entirely undeserved reputation as a stud shutdown D.

Anyway I'm glad to have found a website with WOWY info again, but unfortunately it seems to just be for the last season and doesn't have zone deployments like hockeyanalysis did.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Gaudreau - Galchenyuk - Nyquist
Killorn - Anisimov - Athanasiou
Rieder - Dubois - Boedker
Kuhnhakl - Eakin - Leipsic
x Motte

(Nichushkin)

Carlsson - Trouba
Nutivarra - Barrie
Forbort - Carrick
x Polak

Jones
Pickard

Coach Todd Rearden

My team is building for 18-19. There's a lot of unknowns in the lineup, but my goaltending is strong and top 6 is serviceable. It'll be a better lineup once Nichushkin comes back from the KHL, and once PLD/carlsson find their footing.

I like your RD and LW but uhhhh LD and C is a giant hole. Isn't Galchenyuk terrible as a C?

Also T-Bone does Ryan Strome even play C anymore? He's certainly not going to on the Oilers.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 19, 2017

• Locked thread