Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
almost missed this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
vancouver takes nick backstrom

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Jonathan Fisk posted:

This also a huge steal

amazing contract too, didnt realize how cheap he was and no oldman years

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

gonna take patrice bergeron and just set myself for life down the middle. similar contract to backstrom too!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

trouba here and lindholm at 60 is really funny. i almost took lindholm at 29 and even then hes probably undervalued

shattenkirk, keith, hamilton, krug, ekblad... none of these dudes are as good

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

alright, i'll take jaccob slavin and edit: changed this matt tkachuk

i can fill out the spreadsheet in a bit. kinda surprised the hockey hipsters in this thing let slavin fall this far

well thats a lot of cap flexibility moving forward

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 18, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you just need to pick two goalies. honestly i dunno why most people care, the average goalie is like 1% worse than the vezina winner in this stupid league

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

im sure someone picked matt murray last time and theyve been pretty thoroughly vindicated so have fun with it, just be ready to convince everyone else that its a good idea

i much prefer the route of picking guys everyone likes so i dont have to defend it as much

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

wait, brian campbell retired!? he was still a good defenceman!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Kilza posted:

Rakell is significantly better than who you originally had, though.

I get that there isn't really a rule against it, but personally I dislike people changing their picks after posting and updating the spreadsheet.

i cant possibly see a reason to discourage it. once the person after you locks in, i figure thats where you should draw the line

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

JoelJoel posted:

It also falls into the don't talk about players still on the board rule.

I say no mercy. A post is a pick.

im gonna break this rule repeatedly in a way that prevents people from figuring out who i originally picked

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Horvat's fancies suck too but hopefully that's just a product of being on the Canucks and his offensive stats have gone up each year he's been in the league which is promising

horvat's fancies suck because all he knows how to do is produce offense. shockingly, defensive talent doesnt translate from jrs to pro

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

mikael backlund

i dont really need another centre but im also not just leaving this guy here. cheap (though needs an extension), makes everyone around him way better and is pretty good defensively. im sure ill find some wingers somewhere

edit: I typed "backlund" "mikael" "bakl" "$3,575" and refreshed the spreadsheet cause i was sure he had been picked

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 21, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

stab posted:

I took a trip to finland on my phone

Rasmus Ristolainen

And

TUUKAAAAAA TIME (which as a habs fan makes me feel dirty)

Tuukka Rask

i briefly considered ristolainen but he really cant do anything but play on the powerplay

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its too early to pick goalies

i didnt want to take canucks but im left with no choice, chris tanev come on down

nobody is scoring against my team, ever

i wont lie, i kinda dreamed of putting a guy like ristolainen with a guy like tanev but oh well

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

backlund is a most excellent pick

in the process of picking him and also searching for him in the spreadsheet i deleted your granlund pick and replaced it with $3,575,000

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I really like the structure of your team so far.

thanks!

tkachuk - backstrom - x
x - bergeron - x
x - backlund - x

slavin - x
x - tanev

average goalie
hotshot prospect

originally i wanted more offense but a bunch of players i value fell far enough that i didnt want to pass up on like, bergeron in the second round, so here we are. its gonna end being a team that really relies on one D and one C per pairing, which is fine by me. backstrom is the only worldbeater i have though so hopefully he can do all the scoring thats not done by committee

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 22, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

agreed that hall of fame goaltenders sometimes don't follow the same curve

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah. And Rask's sv% through his first 15000 minutes of play puts him in that clas.

i think you're overrating his career and i definitely wouldn't bank on him being a better choice than andersen for the length of their contracts

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

andersen is younger and 2m a year cheaper. even if i expected similar goaltending from the two, andersen hass more a more valuable contract

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

goddamn the motherfucker who got arvidsson and now his 4.25m 7yr contract

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i couldnt quite pick between skjei and tanev and ultimately i wanted someone that could control a bad player if they needed to. tanev has done flawlessly with keith ballard and others but i didnt know if skjei could

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

alright, i'll take nikita zaitsev

he costs a little more than i'd like and its a bit longer than i'd like but i can overpay a little bit considering my situation

i love picking basically last!! its great!! love to see everyone get taken immediately before me

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

eXXon posted:

Why do we need another 2 hours after 10 AM when there's already a 12 hour break? Send lists if you're in PST.

i dunno maybe it shouldnt end at loving 7pm pst then we wouldnt have to wait so long

im not sending in poo poo. i'm ok with being skipped if i miss my window

gonna go with jonathan marchessault, formerly of the panthers. sure was nice of them to give him to vegas!

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 25, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

I'll take Colin Miller and hope his outrageously good fancy stats are a product of him more than being on a strong possession team like Boston.

e:

Guentzel-Giroux-Rakell
Horvat-Silfverberg

Pietrangelo-Miller

Price

^ ....Maybe better than the actual Habs I guess? lol

yeah i was trying to decide between miller and marchessault and figured marchessault was more likely to be nabbed this round

in conclusion, gently caress you

Yaya posted:

I feel like we might be overvaluing youth and budget a bit much in this draft.

Proof of which is I just got Joe Thornton, still an extremely good player, in the 8th round.

Ovechkin - Thornton - Pavelski
? - Hertl - ?
? - Keller - ?

Rielly - Muzzin

Allen

hes still literally a first line centre which is hilariously good value at this point no matter what he costs

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

gonna take Artturi Lehkonen with pick #1 and Sven Andrighetto with #2. lehkonen is probably going to consistently have more goals than assists throughout his entire career so he'll probably fit well with backstrom and i think andrighetto finally figured it out and signed a pretty good short term contract

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 29, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

they love him already. there was a parade in fake vancouver

are we doing a trade period after this or during this in order to fix terrible people that couldnt manage their cap

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i'm excited for him to get 44 goals and 50 points or something silly

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

corn on the cop posted:

Mentholmoose selects the other Swede on the Canucks, Alex Edler.

kinda silly hes been picked this far down

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

alright, rolling the dice on nick ritchie. first real year in the nhl was whatever, but hes young. i need a winger that maybe scores but doesnt play defence, because the rest of my drat team does that part

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

alright, ill take pat maroon

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

bad news; ham hoose has and is continuing to fall off a cliff

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

we've picked 116 dmen so realistically there are maybe a few 4s left, a bunch of 5s? yeah i guess thats ok.

hamhuis might have been a 4ish this year but i mean next year he might not be able to skate

also man the forwards have mostly been picked in order of quality with some balancing for youth and such but the defencemen are kind of a mess

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 1, 2017

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

so this is what i've got so far, i guess

Lehkonen - Backstrom - Marchessault
Tkachuk - Bergeron - Andrighetto
Ritchie - Backlund - Maroon

Slavin - x
Tanev - y
Zaitsev - z

tkachuk is a better player than lehkonen, but lehkonen is basically a future 69 goal scorer so he should probably have the best playmaker. im gonna have a tough time filling out the defence in a way that i'm going to be happy with, though

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'll take alain vigneault because i still think hes one of the best coaches in the league and i think his coaching style will mesh with my team, and brian elliott

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Infidel Castro posted:

Time for my next pick to pack his bags yet again, as defenceman Adam Clendenning is heading to Philadelphia.

Really the only knock on him is he'll turn 25 shortly after the season starts and only has 81 games under his belt. However he's a great skater and has the fancystats of a top-4 guy when he's actually given a shot to play. You can do a hell of a lot worse for a 3rd pairing guy on the right side.

huh? hes one of the worst skaters ive ever seen. you're right that he's a perfectly capable player, but the dude basically lives in quicksand

• Locked thread