Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Royal Blood is opening for them this tour which is pretty drat awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
New single shares the sleazy infectious groove style of Smooth Sailing. Best direction for the band to go further in, I'm loving stoked.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

White Rabbit posted:

New single shares the sleazy infectious groove style of Smooth Sailing. Best direction for the band to go further in, I'm loving stoked.

I was going to say that I liked this song better when it was called Smooth Sailing. The new single is just a boring version of said song. The terrible production isn't helping it much either. I'm not digging it at all.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I was kinda meh on the single yesterday, but I've played it a few times while running errands and it's growing on me.

Also the definitive ranking of QOTSA albums:

1. Queens of the Stone Age
1. R
1. Songs for the Deaf
1. Lullabies to Paralyze
1. Era Vulgaris
1. ...Like Clockwork

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I can't say I'm a fan of the production on the new track, but new QOTSA is far better than no QOTSA.

Songs For The Deaf will always be their #1 album for me. It's the perfect balance between Josh and Nick, and Dave is a beast on drums.

Sir Lemming posted:

I think at this point the rift between him and John is a bigger deal than the Nick thing, which from the sound of things was basically over by the end of 2005. I recall Nick saying positive things about Era Vulgaris, and of course then he ended up doing a guest spot on Like Clockwork, which in typical QOTSA fashion was basically inaudible.

Yeah, bridging the divide between Homme and Garcia will take some serious work. I can't recall reading any recent statements by Josh about John, but John trashes Josh every time he's asked about him.

You can see and hear the tension if you watch any live footage from the last days of Kyuss. John was wasted a lot of the time and acting like a total dick to the audiences.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Bobby Digital posted:

I was kinda meh on the single yesterday, but I've played it a few times while running errands and it's growing on me.

1. R
1. Songs for the Deaf
1. Lullabies to Paralyze
1. Era Vulgaris
1. ...Like Clockwork

Agreed, although I'd put Clockwork at #1, and bump Songs for the Deaf to #1

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Really annoyed with the service they used for purchasing tickets for this show. I pre-ordered the album THEN signed up to their pre-registration site, was placed in the queue that's 1 hour later than people who pre-ordered the album. Their FAQ said to wait 24 hours before emailing them so I did. Emailed them, they asked for a screenshot of my page on the website and of my order confirmation. I check the site last night and it says I am now locked in position 2, so there's little possibility of me getting the seats I was willing to spend way too much money to get, all because of an error in their system. I'm waiting to see if they'll email me back before Tuesday but I doubt it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

new single was I think referred to as the "poppiest" song on the album so that's good news to anyone who thought it was too jingly.

I remember before Like Clockwork came out, I read advance reviews of it from "hardcore" fans on the official forums, In The Fade or some poo poo like that, and it was like a funeral dirge of "this album is so incredibly bad it's all slow poo poo and piano poo poo"

now it's like the same thing except "this poo poo is too catchy, it's too happy, rip qotsa" like how did anyone even survive the move from Rated R to Songs for the Deaf to Lullabies to Paralyze, they've changed so much but still have that same core sound.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I do wonder what it must've felt like when Rated R came out, it was really a massive detour from the much more straightforward, unpolished rock sound of the self-titled album. All the other stylistic shifts they've done almost look safe by comparison.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 19, 2017

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

DLC Inc posted:

now it's like the same thing except "this poo poo is too catchy, it's too happy, rip qotsa" like how did anyone even survive the move from Rated R to Songs for the Deaf to Lullabies to Paralyze, they've changed so much but still have that same core sound.
Don't forget the other chestnut "The band was so much better when Nick was in it!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's kinda weird that Nick is only full-time on less than 1/3 of the band's albums now. (I'm assuming he's not on the new one...)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Huh Mark Ronson? Interesting.

edit: Also I really like the new track it swings in a way that I like a lot. Although I think that's bad, my favourite QOTSA stuff never grabbed me first go

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 20, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

It's kinda weird that Nick is only full-time on less than 1/3 of the band's albums now. (I'm assuming he's not on the new one...)

I always liked Alain better on bass/everything to be honest. I really loved the small timespan when Alain/Natasha were doing live shows, they did some great work on the Lullabies songs.

Just got tickets to see them at MSG. Man, I remember when I saw them in a sweaty Terminal 5 show doing their self-titled album tour, now they're finally at the big time. So loving stoked to see this.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The website fixed their poo poo and I also got my Floor Space tickets for MSG. I still can't really believe they're actually playing there.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I haven't bought tickets from Ticketmaster in forever and wow. It basically doubled the price. No print-at-home or will-call, so GETTING the ticket was like... 12 bucks in its own right. What the gently caress?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

I haven't bought tickets from Ticketmaster in forever and wow. It basically doubled the price. No print-at-home or will-call, so GETTING the ticket was like... 12 bucks in its own right. What the gently caress?

yeah dude welcome to ticketmaster, they're the goddamn worst.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

DLC Inc posted:

I always liked Alain better on bass/everything to be honest. I really loved the small timespan when Alain/Natasha were doing live shows, they did some great work on the Lullabies songs.

Just got tickets to see them at MSG. Man, I remember when I saw them in a sweaty Terminal 5 show doing their self-titled album tour, now they're finally at the big time. So loving stoked to see this.

I'm really glad I saw them on the Lullabies tour. What a show!

Dang, I guess it'll be 8 years since Natasha passed. May she RIP.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I was just winding down from listening to Peace, Love, and Death Metal on a daily basis when Lullabies to Paralyze came out.

To this day I couldn't believe how lucky I felt watching EODM opening for QOTSA in Denver. Without a doubt, my favorite concert ever.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Got three places for the nov 7 show in Paris, I'm super hyped !
New song is good, maybe a little too pop for my tastes, and it lacks a cool short riff like during Smooth Sailing, but that will do anyway. Can't wait for the new album.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cheesus posted:

I was just winding down from listening to Peace, Love, and Death Metal on a daily basis when Lullabies to Paralyze came out.

To this day I couldn't believe how lucky I felt watching EODM opening for QOTSA in Denver. Without a doubt, my favorite concert ever.

Closest I got to a "Josh and Friends" show was at Barclays when The Kills (with a 6 person drumline) and Brody Dalle opened for them, which was pretty neat.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Going to the Michigan show. Worth the drive for a smaller venue than most.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMIbDaEBBZw
The Evil Has Landed from the 6/22 concert.

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

Cheesus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMIbDaEBBZw
The Evil Has Landed from the 6/22 concert.

I was there! This song was amazing, Josh set it up quite nicely saying that the song takes you all over the place. Loved the mix they had, such a guitar heavy song.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DaddyBigBucks posted:

I was there! This song was amazing, Josh set it up quite nicely saying that the song takes you all over the place. Loved the mix they had, such a guitar heavy song.

sounds like it could have easily been a song from Them Crooked Vultures 2. A lot of this album feels like it's going to take that turn for some reason and I'm A-OK with that

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Saw em at Montebello Rockfest on Saturday and they played a great, if short set. Nothing from the self titled, but heavy on SFTD and LC which are my two favorite albums. Josh also played Speaking in Tongues on drums for EODM earlier in the day, which was a nice surprise.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/queens-of-the-stone-age/2017/marina-de-montebello-montebello-qc-canada-4be4f7ba.html

Got 4 floor tickets for the Boston show for me and my three friends that have seen em together the last...4 times they've been in the area, super pumped. Their last tour with the Kills was loving phenomenal (and I love the Kills too, which helped) so I've got high expectations for another music duo to fill an entire arena as an opener. QOTSA is one of the few bands I could listen to a 25 song set from and STILL want more.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kaboobi posted:

Got 4 floor tickets for the Boston show for me and my three friends that have seen em together the last...4 times they've been in the area, super pumped. Their last tour with the Kills was loving phenomenal (and I love the Kills too, which helped) so I've got high expectations for another music duo to fill an entire arena as an opener. QOTSA is one of the few bands I could listen to a 25 song set from and STILL want more.

I was really happy they played I Never Came on that tour and saw that, also once caught Fun Machine at another show. I hope they start busting out obscure poo poo at the MSG show. I'd love something like Another Love Song or even 3's and 7's, which I actually haven't heard in a long time--used to be a set regular but feels like it gets phased out now.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I just hope to get Avon this go around after missing it last go around. It's actually one of the only songs where I'll check out a live version. I think it's 02/03 w Grohl at Glastonbury. Dave just destroys that solo.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm gonna see QotSA at a new venue in DC and I'm very excited

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What are the chances they add a second leg to the tour after the holidays? I've seen them in Florida for the EV and the ...LC tours, so it'd really suck if they completely skipped us this time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
QOTSA just shared this video on Facebook. Has about 30 seconds of a new song clip I haven't heard before. Good stuff.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1879924032023305&id=615085188507202

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

QOTSA just shared this video on Facebook. Has about 30 seconds of a new song clip I haven't heard before. Good stuff.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1879924032023305&id=615085188507202

My hype levels are on the moon right now.
While I'm here, here is a collection of B-sides from various QOTSA ep :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5XKnAItnHY
Check Infinity, poo poo is dope.
Also You're so vague and Born to Hula (new)

Zanael fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 30, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Zanael posted:

My hype levels are on the moon right now.
While I'm here, here is a collection of B-sides from various QOTSA ep :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5XKnAItnHY
Check Infinity, poo poo is dope.
Also You're so vague and Born to Hula (new)

Infinity and Born To Hula are some of my favorite tracks they've ever done, and I don't mind that they're not on an album because they don't feel like they'd belong to any, they're just their own things.

Incidentally, the re-recording of Infinity, which was on some reissues of Lullabies, is awful. In an effort to make it new & different they pretty much changed all the cool parts. On the other hand, I vastly prefer the revamped Born To Hula.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

Infinity and Born To Hula are some of my favorite tracks they've ever done, and I don't mind that they're not on an album because they don't feel like they'd belong to any, they're just their own things.

Incidentally, the re-recording of Infinity, which was on some reissues of Lullabies, is awful. In an effort to make it new & different they pretty much changed all the cool parts. On the other hand, I vastly prefer the revamped Born To Hula.
Pretty much the same, I'm glad I randomly found those, QOTSA is the gift that keeps giving. Speaking of "same", "All the same" is a cool josh song for an inde movie :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI75vQViftk

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zanael posted:

Pretty much the same, I'm glad I randomly found those, QOTSA is the gift that keeps giving. Speaking of "same", "All the same" is a cool josh song for an inde movie :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI75vQViftk

All The Same was literally the first time I ever heard Josh Homme, loved it, and years later when I got into Songs for the Deaf was blown away that this was the same guy. I still think that song was one of his best works, wish he'd pull it out someday but this is a band that rarely does deep cuts.

Their cover of Never Say Never is also loving incredible.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
New Rolling Stone article/interview on the new album:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/josh-homme-on-queens-of-the-stone-ages-new-villains-lp-w490156

Features info about most of the songs and the influences of the album (including T-Rex, David Bowie and Cab Calloway)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

influences of the album (including T-Rex, David Bowie and Cab Calloway)

haha goddamn that's all I need to know

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Bobby Digital posted:

1. R
1. Songs for the Deaf
1. Lullabies to Paralyze
1. Era Vulgaris
1. ...Like Clockwork

I can't find anything wrong with this.

Add kyuss cds to that list. Also, unida, hermano, Vista chino, desert sessions, and every other obscure project that any member of that crew has done.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 12, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I vaguely remember seeing this video a while ago. It just popped up in my YouTube feed and it makes so much more sense now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA0XnE8QXpI

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

I vaguely remember seeing this video a while ago. It just popped up in my YouTube feed and it makes so much more sense now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA0XnE8QXpI

I liked that more than I expected to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I remember not liking it when it first happened and now I actually appreciate the interpretation a lot more.

• Locked thread