Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
This is a rare case where I am actually hoping for some form of rehab, like "sober the gently caress up and take this seriously" kind of rehab.

It really feels like everyone has given up this year, doesn't it? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
"a state of being lost in performance" is a hell of a euphemism.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Yeah, this is not good. He was clearly not sober at the MSG show, which really kind of surprised considering his health scare. Didn't interfere with the show, so fine, I didn't think much of it.

He seemed fine at the Iggy show last year.... I feel like he's been much more off on this tour specifically. It's getting scary now

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
he was drinking and smoking on stage at the MKE show and gave like a 2 minute high-as-gently caress speech before playing fortress which on its own would be fine/funny

kicking photographers in the face and having a recent health scare kills the party

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Josh just posted a 2 part video on the QOTSA Instagram where he apologized to her and says that he did it. The Facebook post must have been a lawyer.

Still doesn't make it right, but it's a much better apology.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If he'd just posted that straight up it probably would've gone over quiet well, but after the first post it comes across as far less sincere (regardless of whether it is or not).

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

screw him for yelling “gently caress Muse”

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, the initial statement reads like "we have to get in front of this thing quick" and the video apology is more like Josh had a chance to sit down and watch the video of what happened over and over until it made him sick. Which is what needed to happen.

Change whatever you have to change to make this right, man :(

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Paperback Writer posted:

screw him for yelling “gently caress Muse”

That's the one part of this whole thing I'm ok with, actually.

This sucks. I really hope someone gets through to Josh before he has another "knee surgery." In the last two years stars are either dying or killing their careers and at his current pace Josh could easily do both before New Year's.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
really tired of people i admire or at least whose work i love ending up being shitheads. you’re not 19 playing a basement show or dive bar with out of control teenagers moshing, you’re in your loving forties playing kroq and assaulting people for no reason. maybe it’s time to hit rehab again

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

idk how you can have like 3 kids and still be getting so hosed up you kick a cameraperson in the face and then cut your forehead open at your own show. I've been a fan my whole life but not at least offering to pay the medical bills and also for a new camera is the biggest chump bullshit ever. it would have been so easy to make amends but it dragged out long enough to get picked up everywhere. hope he gets some loving help.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

DLC Inc posted:

idk how you can have like 3 kids and still be getting so hosed up you kick a cameraperson in the face and then cut your forehead open at your own show.

TBH everyone who has kids has felt like doing that at least once

Still no excuse though.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

DLC Inc posted:

idk how you can have like 3 kids and still be getting so hosed up you kick a cameraperson in the face and then cut your forehead open at your own show. I've been a fan my whole life but not at least offering to pay the medical bills and also for a new camera is the biggest chump bullshit ever. it would have been so easy to make amends but it dragged out long enough to get picked up everywhere. hope he gets some loving help.

*adds “can’t kick people in face and cut your forehead open” under “reasons to not have kids” column*

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
2017 is the year Qotsa and Star Wars died. I guess I can grow the gently caress up now or something. Cool. I'm an adult now.

EDIT: HOLY gently caress I OWE A LOT OF TAXES WHAT IS THIS poo poo COME BACK JOSH COME BACK LUKE PLZ WTF IS THIS I'M NOT READY TO GROW UP

Edit: But seriously gently caress Muse

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 27, 2017

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Since this happened I've been trying to sell off my tickets to an upcoming show that I got like a month prior to the incident and not one single bite.

Already seem em three times back in their strongest years, don't need to depress myself and see him in a self-destructive mentality on stage. I sincerely hope he stops what he's doing to :therapy:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Have there been any reports of weirdness or other outbursts since that show? Going to see them on the 25th.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I've not heard a peep, and we've had tickets to the SF show since last year. I hope he's getting treatment.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
lol some of you guys have weird expectations of rock musicians. Oh no Mel Gibson is abusive and racist *sobs as he snaps his Mad Max dvds in half*

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Black Bones posted:

lol some of you guys have weird expectations of rock musicians. Oh no Mel Gibson is abusive and racist *sobs as he snaps his Mad Max dvds in half*

It's not so much expectations as I don't want him to kill himself. He's obviously crying for help, including but not limited to making a video saying he needs to get help. So yeah, I want him to get help.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

It's not so much expectations as I don't want him to kill himself. He's obviously crying for help, including but not limited to making a video saying he needs to get help. So yeah, I want him to get help.

Personally I've never asked anyone for help by kicking a woman in the face, but maybe I should try it

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
More importantly, last night they played Do It Again, Song For The Deaf, and How To Handle a Rope. gently caress, those three are super rare, and to play them all on the same show.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah in Vancouver they played a bunch of unexpected songs; Monsters in the Parasol, Tangled Up in Plaid, Everybody Knows that You're Insane, You Can't Quit Me Baby, Song for the Deaf and Song for the Dead, which was the ender. They opened with If I Had a Tail, one of my favourites. Just a killer set, absolute monster of a show.

I missed Eagles as the opener, waiting for peeps to give tickets to and then in line for beer. But that's ok, they aren't really suited to large venues like the old hockey arena we were in and I've seen them a bunch of times already.

Sir Lemming posted:

He's not going to off himself. The band isn't breaking up or being banned or whatever. He has a temper and poor impulse control sometimes, this is like his 3rd or 4th assault and not even the worst of them.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Black Bones posted:

He's not going to off himself. The band isn't breaking up or being banned or whatever. He has a temper and poor impulse control sometimes, this is like his 3rd or 4th assault and not even the worst of them.

There's a difference between getting a little belligerent and being so slobbering drunk/stoned/whatever onstage that you kick a fan in the face for no reason and don't even realize it until someone shows you a video. Also we're talking about a guy who was literally dead once because he had too much crap in his system. This is not normal or admirable. I didn't care about him getting into fist fights with other bands or whatever, but this is different.

I'm glad your crystal ball says he's gonna be fine, but I'm just calling it like I see it.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 26, 2018

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Fair enough, but so am I?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Just saw them with EODM and they loving ruled, incredible set list, great visuals, and nobody got kicked in the face.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
They killed it at the SF show. The fancy new lights are a nice touch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Very sad my IPod with all the desert sessions albums on it died, but at least YouTube has bits of it.

https://youtu.be/QfWAipcQ__0

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I feel your pain, I had a 60gb music folder that has vanished from the earth when I moved house. I don’t mind paying for streaming services but they really don’t cater to the more obscure stuff.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Check your local Urban Outfitters I got a copy on wax for :10bux:

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
There was a tribute album for Elton John just released that included a Queens cover of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I think they may have played it live before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyBAI7MGXTs

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

whatis posted:

There was a tribute album for Elton John just released that included a Queens cover of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I think they may have played it live before

Yeah, they played it at the LA Forum back in February.

Marlboro for Cats
Apr 14, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

DLC Inc posted:

Maybe, but wouldn't it sound like he's trying to get out of a settlement for cheap if he does that? Or if he throws in some money offer on top of the medical bills, then it's like he's trying to haggle.

He should obviously pay for it, but how does he offer without sounding like an rear end in a top hat? "Shrug and wait for the lawsuit" seems to be his approach.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Who thought an outdoor show in Miami in May was a good idea. Rain incoming itt

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011
Just saw them last night in Atlanta. Was awesome, but I kept my distance from the front to avoid getting kicked.

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

Just came back home from their concert in BCN, I loved the setlist. Halfway through the concert they left and came back to play make it with chu and from then on the crowd went INSANE. Josh's persona went from charming bad boy to rear end in a top hat and back during the whole concert though.

Edit: Apparently I misremembered, setlist was

Song for the Deaf
Sick, sick, sick
Feet don't fail me
The way you used to do
Millionare
No one knows
The Evil has landed
In the fade
My god is the Sun
Smooth sailing
Head like a haunted house
Domesticated animals (Josh gave his usual speech on group of individuals before this one)
I never came
If I had a tail
Villains of Circumstance
Little Sister

Then they left and came back for:
Make it with chu
Go with the flow
Song for the dead.

Concert on a-ok quality already on youtube.

Pau fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 12, 2018

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
When you say they left and came back, are you referring to an encore?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I remember once seeing Placebo pull the most pointless encore bullshit on a middle billing at a festival, mid afternoon slot. They literally must have walked back stage and right around to the other side time was that short.

Encores usually rule though, although it does make me laugh when you see people leaving when there’s clearly an encore coming (yes I’m sure Alice Cooper would do a gig without playing Poison). Remember I saw SOAD on the Mesmerize tour and they didn’t encore, felt a bit weird. Maybe we’re spoilt by it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I saw Garbage a few years ago, and I don't think they encored either. Hell, after it was done they walked us out of the venue straight into the street, no merch tables either. This was House of Blues in Boston.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I remember once seeing Placebo pull the most pointless encore bullshit on a middle billing at a festival, mid afternoon slot. They literally must have walked back stage and right around to the other side time was that short.

Encores usually rule though, although it does make me laugh when you see people leaving when there’s clearly an encore coming (yes I’m sure Alice Cooper would do a gig without playing Poison). Remember I saw SOAD on the Mesmerize tour and they didn’t encore, felt a bit weird. Maybe we’re spoilt by it.

A lot of people leave before the encore to beat the mad rush to the trains.

As a concept encores are pretty dumb. What purpose do they serve other than to occasionally have the crowd chant for more and give the band an ego boost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
This is true, you don’t need to hold back a hit for an encore, a lot of bands do though.

I once saw Electric Six foolishly play Gay Bar mid set at a festival and then complain that the crowd dispersed to catch other bands afterwards, the best ‘nonchalant’ performance I ever saw was Kyuss Lives! A few years back. Band just walked on, smashed out every hit in the back catalogue and walked off again. Still ruled.

• Locked thread