Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

The video was hilarious but such a tease. The song sounds amazing though, can't wait to hear the whole thing and the rest of the album.

Queens are my favorite band, and Josh is just the best. For those who haven't had the chance to see them in concert, get tickets this tour. They don't tour often because of engagements with other artists (Josh with Iggy, etc.) and they are INCREDIBLE live. Josh has the most infectious energy and dances the entire night, and they play huge set lists every time.

I second this. Have seen them thrice so far---once for their self-titled album tour, and twice for the Like Clockwork tour. Was happy to hear poo poo like The Bronze and Misfit Love on the latter shows, and also see The Kills/Brody Dalle open for them in Barclays. They are without a doubt the best loving live band I've ever seen in a decade's worth of concerts.

I have no idea how they'll top Like Clockwork but the sample from Feet Don't Fail Me sounds loving incredible. They're that rare band that has only gotten better and better so I'm stoked for them to tour again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Clyfe posted:

Calling it now, this Album will be nowhere near as dark as "Like Clockwork"...Josh was a cheery hot mess the last time I saw him.

Josh has said repeatedly that Like Clockwork was a period of struggle and that the new album would be the dawn after the darkness, to paraphrase it. I'm 100% certain this record will be nothing like the previous one, which was definitely a product of a certain time and place.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

Seems likely, as virtually every QOTSA album has included songs that appeared previously in other forms. (Clockwork perhaps being the only exception.)

reminds me how Desert Sessions was basically the "prototype" space where things like Avon, Make It Wit Chu, and Millionaire were played before getting cleaned up.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

wow, madison square garden concert? that's a first for the band if I'm not mistaken. they've really hit the big time.

song sounds like it's got shades of Eagles of Death Metal mishmashed with The Strokes. Getting feels of Rated R.

The "Feet Dont Fail Me" sounds like more of the sludge we're used to but I love how both of these sound so far.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I like the song!

Here's the album tracklist by the way:

1. "Feet Don't Fail Me" - 5:41
2. "The Way You Used To Do" - 4:34
3. "Domesticated Animals" - 5:20
4. "Fortress" - 5:27
5. "Head Like a Haunted House" - 3:21
6. "Un-Reborn Again" - 6:40
7. "Hideaway" - 4:18
8. "The Evil Has Landed" - 6:30
9. "Villains of Circumstance" - 6:09
Total length: 46:04

So yeah, only 9 songs sucks but at least the majority of them look like they'll be lengthy, sexy jams :h:

cool track names. I believe we heard parts of that last song on the internet once or twice, sounded like a really beautiful end-credits thing that would have been right at home on the tail end of Like Clockwork as well.

vandalism posted:

Josh and Nick Oliveri are ok again I think. Will he ever team up with John Garcia again, though? Only time will tell. Kyuss was so fuckin good.

Nick did ask if he could do the bass for the last album but Josh took the loyalty route and went onward with Mike Shuman.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

new single was I think referred to as the "poppiest" song on the album so that's good news to anyone who thought it was too jingly.

I remember before Like Clockwork came out, I read advance reviews of it from "hardcore" fans on the official forums, In The Fade or some poo poo like that, and it was like a funeral dirge of "this album is so incredibly bad it's all slow poo poo and piano poo poo"

now it's like the same thing except "this poo poo is too catchy, it's too happy, rip qotsa" like how did anyone even survive the move from Rated R to Songs for the Deaf to Lullabies to Paralyze, they've changed so much but still have that same core sound.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

It's kinda weird that Nick is only full-time on less than 1/3 of the band's albums now. (I'm assuming he's not on the new one...)

I always liked Alain better on bass/everything to be honest. I really loved the small timespan when Alain/Natasha were doing live shows, they did some great work on the Lullabies songs.

Just got tickets to see them at MSG. Man, I remember when I saw them in a sweaty Terminal 5 show doing their self-titled album tour, now they're finally at the big time. So loving stoked to see this.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cheesus posted:

I was just winding down from listening to Peace, Love, and Death Metal on a daily basis when Lullabies to Paralyze came out.

To this day I couldn't believe how lucky I felt watching EODM opening for QOTSA in Denver. Without a doubt, my favorite concert ever.

Closest I got to a "Josh and Friends" show was at Barclays when The Kills (with a 6 person drumline) and Brody Dalle opened for them, which was pretty neat.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DaddyBigBucks posted:

I was there! This song was amazing, Josh set it up quite nicely saying that the song takes you all over the place. Loved the mix they had, such a guitar heavy song.

sounds like it could have easily been a song from Them Crooked Vultures 2. A lot of this album feels like it's going to take that turn for some reason and I'm A-OK with that

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kaboobi posted:

Got 4 floor tickets for the Boston show for me and my three friends that have seen em together the last...4 times they've been in the area, super pumped. Their last tour with the Kills was loving phenomenal (and I love the Kills too, which helped) so I've got high expectations for another music duo to fill an entire arena as an opener. QOTSA is one of the few bands I could listen to a 25 song set from and STILL want more.

I was really happy they played I Never Came on that tour and saw that, also once caught Fun Machine at another show. I hope they start busting out obscure poo poo at the MSG show. I'd love something like Another Love Song or even 3's and 7's, which I actually haven't heard in a long time--used to be a set regular but feels like it gets phased out now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zanael posted:

Pretty much the same, I'm glad I randomly found those, QOTSA is the gift that keeps giving. Speaking of "same", "All the same" is a cool josh song for an inde movie :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI75vQViftk

All The Same was literally the first time I ever heard Josh Homme, loved it, and years later when I got into Songs for the Deaf was blown away that this was the same guy. I still think that song was one of his best works, wish he'd pull it out someday but this is a band that rarely does deep cuts.

Their cover of Never Say Never is also loving incredible.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

influences of the album (including T-Rex, David Bowie and Cab Calloway)

haha goddamn that's all I need to know

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the first single of Like Clockwork was kind of the least interesting track on the album for me, too---much like how New Fang was picked as one of the first singles for Them Crooked Vultures. idk if it's a trend to pick the safest song off their albums as a central single but Love Me Like You Used To Do / My God Is The Sun / New Fang def sounded like that kind of thing. They're all good but I always ended up liking other songs on those albums way more.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

controversial QotSA opinion: I don't like Lullabies to Paralyze until after "Burn the Witch"

rest of it's great

Totally agreed, Medication/Insane/Tangled Up In Plaid are def extremely simple songs and it's unfortunate all 3 of them were at the forefront of the album. From Burn The Witch and beyond the album becomes incredibly weird and diverse.

For Clockwork I heard I think half the songs in advance due to live shows on youtube or those videos they put out from Boneface. This time I've only heard like one and a half so I'm really going in completely blind this week, exciting poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Matador emailed me a notification that my LP shipped with a "3 days" projected delivery. IT'S HAPPENING

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

album isn't out yet but I'm already reading plenty of hot takes and whining about how this "isn't real QOTSA I miss SFTD" which I think I've heard for 3 albums straight by now. Personally I love how a band can move from sludgy Era Vulgaris to melancholy Like Clockwork to what sounds like a groove-infested Mark Ronson record, that's kind of an impressive loving feat to be so adaptable.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Homme has said over and over that the only thing he cares about when making new albums is that they sound new and distinct from previous efforts.

people never seem to catch that and he probably knows it by now, if that album interview video is any indication

I got my Matador special edition in the mail today so I'll be able to listen 2 days early when I get home, very excited

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I got the record but don't have my record player this week, and the goddamn mp3 download won't work til Friday. What a bummer

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

comparing this album to Clockwork is an extremely bad take, from what I've listened to so far they are complete polar opposites.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

IUG posted:

I only just got my first listen to it in this morning. While it did break a streak of great albums for me, that streak was "[Era Vulgaris] is one of my favorite albums" and "[...Like Clockwork] is one of my favorite albums". Maybe I'll like it more on the next few listens through, we'll see.

Yeah upon listening to this I'd rank it with many of the other ones, but given that my lowest opinion of any of their main albums is "this is a great album" that's not a negative to me.

After listening to the whole thing I'd mainly give this an extremely high B+ to an A-. I loved everything except Domesticated Animals, which felt like a TCV b-side, and Hideaway which just seemed like runoff from what they did with Fortress (for the record, I'm probably in the minority but liked Fortress a whole lot, as it reminded me of Rated-R poo poo or even stuff that Josh did for Dangerous Lives Of Altar Boys.) Stuff like Haunted House and Un-Reborn Again sounded like great takes on Dead Kennedys or T.Rex, and Evil Has Landed was just a marvelous road trip of a song. Was also interesting to see how the ending song evolved from way back when Josh was demoing is acoustically.

Stokes posted:

This is the Raditude of QOTSA albums.

lol at thinking this is anywhere in the same universe as a loving Weezer album

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Stokes posted:

Hi, guy that missed the point. I'll explain more about what I typed into an internet forum below the next quote.

This is true but Raditude was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's filled with Rivers Cuomo vanity projects, despised not only by whatever fans they had left, but also Brian Bell and especially Scott Shriner. Rivers had kind of the same excuse for Raditude that Josh has for Villains. "It's just one Weezer album of many more." Meanwhile it sells less than 250k copies and their next single off their next album is one giant apology for it.

This is just my dumb opinion but the production on this album, that Josh insisted upon, sounds like it was product designed to be sold rather than enjoyed. Like hey maybe this song could be cool, but nah my buddy Ronson gets to do what he wants with it in the name of doing something different. Sometimes ideas should just be ideas.

Maybe it's "missing the point" but Weezer has been loving awful for the majority of their albums so your example is incredibly loving bad altogether. this album just came out, that's kind of different from "band that has been abhorrent for like 5 albums"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

on further listens I really like the composition and sound of Hideaway but hate the lyrics, they're possibly some of the lamest they've ever put to paper.

I swear that Un-reborn Again is a spiritual sequel to Into The Hollow, there are so many sounds and motifs in that song that echo that song to me.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I previously had Millionaire and Turnin' On The Screw as the best album intros but I think Feet Don't Fail Me has edged out both of them for me.

I love EV if only because that's the album I started with, but it works as the culmination of the sound fostered on SftD and Lullabies, that heavy sludge poo poo. I don't like the last 2 songs too much and wish the last song was the self-titled song instead, which works infinitely better as a closer. I was lucky to see a good number of the songs live but they never bust out 3's and 7's anymore and I can't remember if they ever play Into The Hollow.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DirtyCheeseburgers posted:

Saw these guys in Toronto last night. Weirdly it was my first time seeing them. I like the new album alright but the songs were definitely better live. Jon Theodore is a beast on the drums.

Josh said at one point it was the largest show they'd played in North America - that can't be true, can it? Capacity is 15-16k at this place. Maybe he meant not a festival / largest headlining show? Still seems weird.

madison square garden next month might be their biggest show

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if TCV doesn't get going with a 2nd run, maybe Josh can do a new supergroup with PJ Harvey. I loved the songs, they did, Crawl Home and Powdered Wig Machine, on the Desert Sessions

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Show last night was pretty great, Theodore is a monster. I was maybe a little let down that the setlist didn't have any deep cuts---Mexicola was the only rabbit out of the hat---and Unreborn Again was listed to be played but they subbed Head Like A Haunted House instead. Fortress and Unreborn Again were my faves from Villains so I was a bit bummed neither showed up but hey, still a wonderful show.

I still think the best one I've seen was in Portchester at the Capitol Theater, they played I'm Designer, Avon, Lost Art of Keeping A Secret, Better Living Thru Chemistry, Keep Your Eyes Peeled. I doubt many of those get played these days let alone in the same show. I wonder if I'll ever hear 3's and 7's in my lifetime.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

I was definitely sad to see Un-Reborn again on the set list but I bet they didn't get to play it because of that douchebag who got kicked out.

lol gently caress can't believe we got robbed because of that shitheel. But, we need the prerequisite "Josh goes off on a dickbag" moment so. Totally agree that Royal Blood did a great job. Tried to listen to their album today and felt nothing, they're so much better live.

Cromulent posted:

Wow, they played I Never Came on that show, too. I've always thought that song was underrated.

Oh yeah, I was lucky enough to hear them do that at Barclays Center once. I keep hoping one day they'll do an album tour of an older thing but they only did that for the s/t one, which I also saw in 2011.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

That's just what I assume, because that took up about 5 minutes of playtime.
Being up front also let me hear what Josh said to the guy after he moved away from the mic, which was "Hey, don't be a loving dick. You, keep yourself in line."

I love how often he says his dad is in the audience and I always believe it for like 5 seconds lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

idk how you can have like 3 kids and still be getting so hosed up you kick a cameraperson in the face and then cut your forehead open at your own show. I've been a fan my whole life but not at least offering to pay the medical bills and also for a new camera is the biggest chump bullshit ever. it would have been so easy to make amends but it dragged out long enough to get picked up everywhere. hope he gets some loving help.

• Locked thread